Final

Someone You Like

The cold temperature greeted him when he entered the coffee shop, while his body’s kept warm by his jacket. The weather’s been rainy for the past few weeks, so Donghae’s been going to school with a jacket. Aside from the rainy season, his classrooms are air-conditioned. His backpack’s tilted to the side because only one strap was resting on his shoulder, making it easier for him to get his wallet while he was in line to order and pay right after.

He was thankful that his subjects weren’t heavy today. He didn’t have to bring the usual amount and weight of books that he usually does on the days that he has his majors. As he patiently waited for his cup of hot chocolate and a croissant, he started evaluating the place to look for a place to stay. “Here’s your order,” the barista said before he eyed an empty spot. With the tray in his hands, he searched for an empty table., but no such luck- they were all occupied.

Donghae didn’t have a choice but to sit with a stranger- a thing that everyone probably dread, especially him. He just wanted to sit alone so he can focus on reviewing. He won’t mind sharing a table with someone, too, just as long as he knows that person. Those were his only two conditions; alone or with a familiar person. He waited until someone stood up, but still, no one looked like they wee about to leave anytime soon. However, from a distance, he saw a blue ribbon hair clip on a brunette.

 

Slowly, Donghae made his way to the brunette who seemed to be immersed in the world of the novel in her hands. “Hi,” he said to her which made the girl look up.

The girl smiled faintly and her eyes grew wide when she realized who it was. “Hi,” she replied.

“You’re the daughter of Mrs. Jung, right?”

She nodded and her lips fully curved up this time. “Yes, and you’re the son of Mr. Lee. You can’t find an empty spot?”

He nodded at her two statements. “Mind if join you?”

She shook her head and gestured for him to sit across from her. “Not at all.”

‘Thank you.” He smiled at her before placing his order on the table and returned the tray on the counter. When he got back, he let himself settle on the chair and took his book from his bag. He started reviewing the topic that was discussed in class today and highlighted the important words.

Jessica lowered her book and took a sip of her tea. She noticed what the boy was doing and felt a bit bad that she was reading a fiction book instead of a book that contained academic content. In her defense, she preferred reading academic content when it’s quiet and she’s not in a public place. However, she sometimes read her ebooks for school when she has to wait for her mom for a long time. “Got a quiz?”

“No, just reading up on today’s lesson,” he replied before flashing her a thin smile.

“Oh.” She went back to reading her book and there’s only a few chapters left. She raised her head to look at the person across from her. “I’m kinda shocked that you remember me.”

He diverted his attention from the book to her and furrowed his eyebrows. “Why?”

“We only met once and it was dark when we did.”

He recalled shortly where they met before confirming it to her. “Sunny’s party? He saw her nodding with a thin smile plastered on her face. “We met before the party, outside the venue where it was still bright, remember?”

She looked at the window while resting her chin on her palm, blinking while her head was tiled as she recalled, before looking back at him. “Right, I remember now! Mom introduced us to each other, right?”

He nodded with a thin smile, but his eyes formed minimal crescents. “And actually,” he said which made the girl stop from focusing on her book again. “When our group of friends went to the restaurant right in front of our school, I saw you there with your friend.”

She showed a blank expression, but deep inside, she was screaming. She remembers that day so well.

 

It was almost a year since they met and she was out with her childhood best friend. Their university was a few minutes away from theirs and the two girls decided to eat in the restaurant that’s right across Sunny’s university. They’ve been going out to lunch a lot since they were on their freshman year in college because the two childhood best friends were separated for 7 years without any form of communication. It wasn’t because they fought, but long story short, Jessica’s family tried to reach out to children of her mom’s best friend after she left to work overseas and their dad sent her mom away.

Jessica and Tiffany were the only customers when they arrived, probably because their break starts at 10 am. The two girls ordered before they started chatting and shortly after, more people, mostly students, started coming in. A group of people went inside and sat on the other end of the restaurant, close to the wall. Theirs was also close to the wall, but it was on the opposite side.

“They’re already talking to the agent for my final audition schedule,” Tiffany shared.

“I really hope that it’s gonna be it this time.” Jessica sighed as she remembered her best friend’s past stories of how she got turned down to ever audition that she went to before. The agent would tell her that she was still too short, she had to remove her braces, she had to gain some weight, and so much more. It hurt her to hear those words from her best friend because they’re trying to create a robot that would meet their standards and ignore talented girl. Appearance mattered to them even more and they both think that it’s stupid.

“Me too- but Jess, I do seem silly, but I think- this one’s gonna be it.”

“I think so too, Tiff.” She smiled at her and reached for her hand across the table and squeezed it. “I’ll be praying hard for you because I don’t want to get your heart broken again by those agents or producers You are so beautiful and talented. If they ever tell you anything stupid again, I’ll be stepping in and show them my rage.”

“Jess, you’re only saying that because you’re my friend. You kn-”

“Excuse me, Stephanie,” she raised her eyebrows with what she heard. “You’re the most beautiful friend that I have. Take note- beautiful, not pretty, which means there’s beauty from within, too.”

“Thanks, Jess.” She showed her infamous eyesmile as she squeezed her hand to stop herself from crying. Jessica’s always been telling her that she already had a rough life and it hurt the other girl to know that her heart’s been shattered again and again and the only reason for that is she doesn’t have the right looks, so she has to take her dream with her back home and she would lock herself in her room and cry because of rejection.

Their food arrived and wiped their utensils first before digging in to their plates. A few moments later, Jessica saw Sunny enter the restaurant with a friend. She didn’t call the shorter girl and just watched where she was heading, her direction made its way to the group on the opposite side of the restaurant. She didn’t want to interrupt Sunny’s moment with her friends from university, so she acted like she didn’t see her.

 

Jessica and Tiffany were having a conversation over pasta and a basket of chicken, when someone spoke loudly from the group. “Donghae,” a guy called. Jessica knew all to well that it was from the other table. No one entered the restaurant for them to call one of their friends who was looking for them and she knew what’s up. Sunny saw her, told her friends that it was her friend who was in her party almost a year ago, they did remember her and had the idea to . Maybe, the other reason would be when Sunny said that it was Jessica who was seated at the opposite end of the restaurant, they wanted Donghae to look.

She probably told them exactly that it was her high school friend whom she brought near their table to introduce to Donghae (because she and Jessica’s mom were close and wanted to play cupid that night) and their classmates saw. During the afterparty, the group saw them standing side by side while Sunny tried to hide the excitement in he face, Sunny and Donghae’s classmates started teasing them.

Jessica acted like she heard nothing and had no change in facial expression. They wanted to see if she’ll turn her head, but she didn’t. She only listened to Tiffany’s stories about what they’re up to in her course and how she’s starting to lose sleep because of the requirements. They kept chatting until they finished their meal. She checked the time and said that they only have 30 minutes before their break’s done, so her best friend asked for the bill. They left after they paid for their meal and asked for the driver to bring them to school after going inside the car. They didn’t wanna be late for their next subject and wanted enough time to prepare.

 

“You were there with Sunny and the rest?”

He nodded to reply. “And you were there with your friend.”

She nodded with a thin smile before focusing back on her novel, while Donghae did the same with his lesson. She supported her forehead with her palm, while her elbow was resting on the armchair. She was hiding behind her hair as as she hid her face that she felt was becoming pink. She was sort of watching their movie in her mind- a movie which features them being together all because of the the conditions that she set.

“If I’m in the same place as him, in public, for the first time and I’m with Tiffany, then he’s the one for me.” She recalls the first condition that she set with destiny and it was ticked off. The second was if she sees him in public for the second time, she has to be alone, and the third’s with their parents. The second one’s ticked off as well, just now. “2/3, but that’s majority- there’s still a third one, Jessica. Don’t be so sure,” she told herself mentally. 

She would only hear about him when her mom would tell her stories from his dad when they’d talk about their kids and she noticed that they have a lot of similarities. She somehow felt like she was a stalker because he knew that he stays up all night to study and how thrifty he was with money (both of which are similar with her), yet she doesn’t even know him. She imagined what this moment would be like if they were dating, and before she turned tomato red, she stopped herself and focused on the novel. She already felt her blood rushing to her cheeks.

 

Donghae kept his book and highlighter inside his bag and took a sip of his hot chocolate before taking a bite of his croissant. “You don’t want anything to eat?”

She shook her head while it was still lowered before looking back at him. “No, I’m good. Thank you.” She smiled at him before going back to the novel.

He finished his croissant and waited for someone to take his plate before taking his tablet out. He unlocked it and instead of playing the game right away, he unknowingly stared at Jessica and saw how fully immersed she was in her novel. He found it cute how she blocks off every distraction by lowering her head and using her hair as a curtain for her to read. He actually liked it that she was seated this way because he can stare at her without her knowing. He smiled at the girl and went on to play the game. If he won’t do that, then he’ll probably stare at her even more.

Again, he stared at her while he was waiting for the game to load and heard a small sound from her. She probably reacted to what she was reading, he thought. He smiled to himself and wonder how she’d look like when she smiles. "How can I make this girl smile," he thought to himself as he really wanted to see a smile across her face. A real one and not a shy and awkward one. He was still a stranger to her, though they knew each other’s faces but he wasn’t even sure if he remembers her name correctly and she probably feels the same.

"What if we were dating? What were you thinking, you're not even friends with her yet," he told himself mentally. They still had solid boundaries because they’re not friends, they’re not schoolmates either, and he would only hear about her when his dad tells him stories about her from her mom, and he could say that they’re similar in so many ways.

Thankfully, the game finished loading and he started playing. Sadly, his character soon dies and it was game over for him. He’s good at this game and he just can’t understand why it was over so easily. He cursed under his breath before placing his tablet on the table.

Jessica thought she heard him say something, so she looked at him. “Everything alright?”

“Yeah, I just lost in the game so easily, that’s all.”

“I’m guessing that the game wasn’t The Sims.”

“Because if it was, I wouldn’t be upset about a game over,” he said before smiling.

“You’re done reviewing?” She took another sip of her tea, and she needs to take only a few more before her mug becomes empty.

“Yeah, just highlighted the concepts and I’ll be re-reading it at home, then I’ll make a reviewer about it and I’ll read it loudly.”

Her eyes widened while her book was now lowered on her lap. “You couldn’t study when there’s too much people around, too?”

He nodded with a smile. “I’m guessing we have the same study habits?”

She raised her eyebrows while nodding. “Seems like it, yeah.” She closed her book and placed it on the table. “How’s pre-med life going for you?”

“People would say it’s difficult, right? But as long as you like what you’re doing and you’re interested, it’s fun. How about you?” Donghae need not to ask how she knew about that. He knows that she and Sunny were friends, and obviously he was a classmate of hers, so she already knew when they met or the first time.

“It’s the same for me. People think I’m having a hard time when I sleep late, but the hard part’s probably waking up really early, but I’m actually having fun. That’s what I tell everyone, too. I don’t find it difficult because I love what I’m doing.”

“We only have two years left and soon it will be the real thing.”

“I know,” Jessica said excitedly. “I’m really excited, but I’m also nervous. Actually, more nervous than excited.”

“Me too. I hope we’ll be able to get into med school.” He took another sip of his hot choco and he felt like he wanted some chips. “I’ll be right back.” He went back in line to buy some chips and he was happy that the salt and pepper potato chips were available. They usually run out of it in other branches, but this time he was lucky. After paying for the chips, he made his way back to their table and saw her looking out the window. “I bought chips. Just go ahead and get if you want to.”

Her eyes widened when she saw the bag of chips in his hand. “Salt and pepper?”

“Yeah, they’re my favorite.” He smiled before placing it on the table. He pushed the bottom of the bag to the opening to make it easier for them. The bag will stand, too.

“Mine too! That’s my favorite brand of chips, too.” A thin smile plastered on her face, while her eyes formed a bit into crescents.

“Really? They’re my favorite brand, too!” He chuckled. “Seems like we got a lot in common.”

“I suppose.” She finally smiled at him, this time with her teeth showing.

 

Donghae smiled when he saw her smile. She had a cold demeanor, but she has a pretty face and the girl didn’t seem cold at all. Earlier, he wondered what would happen when she smiles and now, he finally has answer to his curiosity. She became prettier when her face lit up and it made him smile when her smile plastered on her face.

It’s true, they have a lot in common. They both attended exclusive schools from grade school to high school, they were both in pre-med, his dad and her mom are colleagues, both were an only child, they had the same study habits, both were competitive, they both know how to value money,  and they both have a chauffeur. They do have a lot in common and their parents would often say that they were each other’s male and female counterparts.

 

“Do you play any video game,” he asked her.

She smiled awkwardly while shaking her head. “Nope, I prefer reading to spend my free time.”

“Yeah, I noticed.” He hit himself mentally.

Jessica shared the story line of the novel that she was reading to Donghae and he even said that he wanted to read it when he heard that the characters were travelling in different dimensions and seemed like they were spies. That was his favorite genre in video games as well. He told her that when he usually plays games that involves his character in a mission and likes fighting the bad guys. They talked about academics and gave the other a glimpse of what it was like in their respective majors. 

He was in biology, while she was in psychology. They, too, have the same subjects though their courses were different. She said that she prefers laboratory instead of lecture because she gets to do something, while he agreed and added that it’s boring during lecture. He even said that his pet peeve was groupmates who don’t participate, and Jessica had the same pet peeve.

They even got political and talked about the impeachment of former President Park and how the streets of Seoul were filled by a sea of people, mostly the youth. Students came with their schools to partake in the vigil and to let their voices be heard. She said that she never expected that she would be in a rally ever, and he said the same thing. She knows that the students from their university arrived with the students from his university because they marched together and it only made her realize one thing. The second condition to know if he’s really the one has been met before today. She probably stood inches away from him, but she was too engrossed in screaming and cheering for him to notice literally anyone. If she hadn’t look around, she wouldn’t know that her schoolmates have already left and started walking away from the crowd.

“We do have a lot in common,” Jessica said as she took another sip of her tea. “Maybe it’s one of the reasons why,” she thought to herself.

“Pretty much, I suppose.” Donghae was nodding his head with a small smile. “Maybe it’s the main reason why,” he thought to himself.

Maybe it’s the reason why their parents wanted them to be together. Even Sunny. It was actually Sunny who was playing cupid that night and pulled Donghae from the table while she was dragging Jessica along and all of a sudden, Jessica got pushed beside Donghae and Sunny’s face lit up in the dimmed room and took pictures of the two together.

 

“Jessica.”

“Yeah?”

“You mentioned earlier that your professor didn’t really come to class for laboratory, right?”

“Yeah, why? You know him?”

He gave a faint smile before shaking his head. “I wish, so I could tell him why he didn’t come to your class to teach you.”

She raised her eyebrows in surprise and laughed. “You’d do that? You’re from another university, Donghae.”

“I know,” he said before letting out a chuckle. “Which is good because he will be aware that the new reached another university and he won’t see me around campus, so my ’s safe.” He raised his thumb at her with a proud look on his face. He gulped the remaining hot chocolate in his mug before wiping his mouth with the napkin. “But since I’m taking up that subject this semester, maybe I can teach you the stuff that we learned in class.”

Her eyes widened as she placed her mug on the table after finishing her tea. “What, are you serious?!”

“Very much, yes.”

She couldn’t believe what she was hearing. Sunny could’ve made that offer to her, but here she is in a coffee shop with Donghae whom she conversed with for the first time and he already offered her help. “Y-Yeah, sure. If that’s okay with you.” She kept blinking, still in a state of disbelief.

He chuckled at her while nodding. “I already offered you help, of course it’s okay for me!”

“Sometimes, you’re an idiot,” she scolded herself in her head.

“C-Can I get your number?”

Again, her eyes widened with what she heard from him.

“I- well, like, maybe- maybe w-we can meet up to discuss it. Like, y-you know, near our school or when we’re waiting for our parents. Y-you know, just stuff like that.” Donghae was so nervous. He didn’t even know how he had the courage to ask for her number. They sat in front of each other for the first time and talked for the first time, but he already asked for the girl’s number.

Jessica was again, in another state of disbelief and opened , but nothing would come out. She didn’t know what to say and tried to get her voice out. “Y-yeah, sure,” she said with a nervous smile. “We- we could meet up for that, right.” She nodded her head and took her phone out and handed it to him and she received his. She typed her number in his phone and he did the same before exchanging their phones back. “Maybe I could give him a try. Besides, he doesn’t look like he’s the type of guy to hurt girls,” she thought.

“Maybe we could hang out a lot and from there, we’ll see how it goes. There’s something about her that makes me want to stick around her more. Maybe our parents’ wish will finally come true,” he thought.

“Thanks so much, Donghae.” She smiled at him. Her lips curved upward and her eyes formed crescents.

“You’re very much welcome.” He smiled back and just like her, his lips curved upward, while his eyes formed crescents.

 

“There you are!”

Jessica heard a familiar voice and saw a woman with a warm smile, despite cthe cold water, approaching their table. She smiled at the sight of the woman and waved at her. The woman stood beside her seat and she stood up. “Hi, mom,” she greeted the woman after kissing her cheek.

“You already ate,” she asked her daughter. Her daughter was only able to nod her head before she turned to the guy who was standing across her daughter. “How are you, Hae?” She patted his shoulder and the lad only smiled.

“I'm fine, auntie. It’s nice to see you again.” He smiled at her and shortly after that, he felt a pat on his back.

“What’s up, son” he said with a smile. He didn’t even let his son answer before he turned to look at the lady in front of him. “Hi, Jessica! How are you?”

“I’m good uncle, thanks for asking.” She smiled at the man beside Donghae and she swore that it’s been a long time since she last saw this man in person.

“This is our first meeting after a decade, right?”

She nodded, while the man smiled. Her mother was smiling wide while her arm was around her daughter while looking at Donghae and his father kept nodding while chuckling as he was looking at the two. “You guys sat together,” Mrs. Jung asked.

They nodded at the same time while the adults did the same thing while smiling. “Yeah, we saw you guys from the window,” Mr. Lee commented.

“Did you buy food for Jessica,” Mr. Lee asked his son. Again, the future doctors nodded.

Happiness were seen in their parents eyes. Until Jessica realized something; the third and last condition is happening now. Be in the same place as he is with their parents is finally ticked off from the list. 3/3 and she wanted to say that she couldn’t breathe.

“I think we better go,” said Mrs. Jung.

“Yeah, it’ll be traffic on our way home,” Mr. Lee added.

They have the same route going home and the parents went out of the coffee shop with their children. The adults said their goodbyes, while the students bowed to their parent’s colleague. The adults were first to go inside the vehicle, while the two future doctors stayed outside for a bit to smile and wave at each other. Donghae watched Jessica board their car before he got inside theirs to join his dad in the backseat. They have the same model of SUV, only in different colors.

 

“I’m so sleepy,” she told her mom.

“My poor baby, just sleep. You had a long day in school.”

With her eyes closed, she can’t help thinking about everything that happened in the coffee shop. “Oh, well. I probably won’t stop thinking about him again. Maybe I’m his ideal type, but my personality might be too strong. Wait- I only talked to him for the first time today and- why do I feel like this? I’m just gonna sleep because I’m so tired,” she thought to herself. She wanted to smile, but she knows her mom will mention this to her if she does and will about Donghae again.

 

“Dad, I’m gonna sleep first. I’m really tired.”

“Go ahead. You woke up way too early for school today.”

As he closed his eyes, he couldn’t stop thinking about how he spent the afternoon with Jessica. “I can’t believe I was able to get her number and we just talked for the first time. I really liked seeing her smile earlier and it was my first time seeing that, too. I think I can have a shot with her. I might be her ideal type, but what if something’s lacking in me? All I know is that I’ll treat her right. We just got to know each other today, but why am I like this? I’m just gonna sleep, I’m already tired.”

 

As Jessica and Donghae fell into a deep slumber, they both had a dream of them being together in a coffee shop, and though it was a bit similar to the scene earlier, the words said were different. “I think I could be someone you like,” both said to each other in their dreams.

 


 

Author's note: Hiiii! It's been raining lately and I was inspred by it and voila! I came up with this :) this was inspired by real life events as well, so yes, a huge chunk of the story actually happened in real life. What did you guys think of it? Let me know in the comments section below :)

Also, these days have been tough for the world. We're now seeing the effects of global warming and it's not yet too late. Please, I ask this of you, start saving the environment in your own little way (segregating trash, recycling, etc.) because that one little spark from each of us might actually start a fire.

I hope yu guys liked this oneshot! Sending my love to you all ❤️