Chapter 1 (Yebin and Eunwoo)

5 Reasons why being a Leader is Hard and 1 Reason why it's not

1. You should value your teammate's opinions and keep the team together.

 

Nayoung was walking to the practice room, ipad and a few papers in her hands. She had an idea on what to do for the next song. Concepts and everything. She had also done a lot of research and gathered a lot of references for this comeback and Nayoung wanted to share it to her members.

 

The practice room door swung open and Nayoung went inside. It was the same old practice room, cleared of everything in order for them to move freely as they practice. What surprised Nayoung, however, was the presence of her members gathered around in a circle.

 

"Oh, hey. Nayoung-unnie!" Siyeon called from her position with a muffled voice. She was eating the donuts a fan had sent them a day ago. Minkyung and Kyungwon sat beside Siyeon. Nayoung nodded and gave a small smile to them.

 

She sat beside Jieqiong and scanned the room if there were anyone missing. It didn't take too long to notice that Yebin and Eunwoo were missing. Nayoung looked at the others questioningly.

 

"Where's Eunwoo and Yebin?"

 

"Oh... they had a fight earlier." Sungyeon said with a frown.

 

"A fight? About what?" Now Nayoung was intrigued. Eunwoo and Yebin were like the best of friends. They were always seen laughing at their own stupid jokes and trying to make everyone in the dorm laugh, even though they might look stupid. It certainly shock her that the two would fight like that.

 

"Well... Yebin-unnie had ideas for the concept of the next comeback and Eunwoo-unnie also had one. They were contrasting ideas, so they got into a fight on which is better or something." Kyla explained. Although she looked firm, her voice had the slightest inflection, and if one were to notice, Kyla seemed sad.

 

"Unnie, please get them to make up? It's different when they are the ones who are fighting." Yewon said sadly, and it took every willpower in Nayoung to not wrap the younger girl with a hug. Even the sunshine of the group was sad too...

 

And Siyeon just had to ruin the mood.

 

"YAH! Are you saying that it's okay for the rest of us to fight, then?!"

 

Kyungwon slapped the back of Siyeon's head before turning to Yewon and giving her an apologetic smile, to which the younger girl returned.

 

"Nayoung-unnie. Go after them." Jieqiong told Nayoung with a smile.

 

"I don't even know where they are. How am I gonna go after them?"

 

"You will know it. Trust me, unnie." The Chinese girl smiled at the leader.

 

"Okay. Thanks Jieqiong-ah." Nayoung ruffled Jieqiong's hair before standing up. "Minkyung-ah. Please take charge."

 

"Okay, unnie!"

 

With that, Nayoung exited the room to find Yebin and Eunwoo.

 

~-~-~-~

 

Nayoung was tired. She had gone through every place in the building, even asking some of her seniors, SEVENTEEN. The boys just responded to her with a shake of their heads.

 

“Aish, Jieqiong. Why did you even tell me that ‘I would know’ where they are…” Nayoung held her head in her palm. stress crept up her spine as she struggled to remain her composure and not scream in frustration.

 

Just then, a hand placed itself on her broad shoulder. Nayoung was about to yell at the person to not disturb her but she thankfully didn’t. As soon as she looked up, she saw Jieqiong holding out a can of soda for her to take.

 

Nayoung grabbed the soda and popped the can open, chugging down the contents like water. She wiped her lips with her arm before standing up. She turned to Jieqiong and saw the younger girl fidgeting uncomfortably.

 

“What’s wrong, Jieqiong?”

 

“I… I may have known where Eunwoo and Yebin are…” Jieqiong confessed shyly, still fidgeting with her fingers.

 

Nayoung, bless her overflowing self control, managed to keep calm and not yell at Jieqiong for not telling her sooner. Instead, she just sighed and spoke. “Why didn’t you tell me sooner?”

 

“E-Eunwoo told me to just keep quiet about it. She didn’t want to worry you, unnie. She told me she’d go to the local convenience store to cool off.”

 

“And Yebin?”

 

“That… I don’t know, unnie.” Jieqiong answered.

 

“Hmmm. Okay. Thanks for being honest with me, Jieqiong.” Nayoung smiled at Jieqiong, patting her head before going off to the direction of the convenience store to find Eunwoo.

 

~-~-~-~

 

Eunwoo sat on one of the chairs in the convenience store, stirring the chocolate drink she ordered. It wasn’t everyday that she came in the store alone, but after the fight she had with Yebin, she wanted to be alone for a while.

 

Eunwoo honestly felt guilty about what they fought about. A stupid argument over concept ideas had ignited the flame and caused the full blown cold war they were in today. Nayoung didn’t know about it, since the leader had slept in after a tiring(yet fulfilling) era of promotions, fan signs and music shows. It hasn’t even been six hours yet Eunwoo was being eaten by her conscience already.

 

~-~-~-~

 

Nayoung pushed the door of Pristin’s favorite convenience store open, scanning the area for Eunwoo(and possibly Yebin). It didn’t take her too long to notice the tuft of dark brown hair. She approached the girl and held her shoulder, startling the girl out of her wits.

 

“N-Nayoung-unnie?!” Eunwoo exclaimed with shock.

 

“Hey, Eunwoo. Finally, I found one of the participants to this era’s war that I wasn’t even informed about.” Nayoung drawled on sarcastically as she took a seat beside Eunwoo. The latter was still speechless about all of what’s happening.

 

“How’d you find me here?” Eunwoo asked, still uncomfortable.

 

“Jieqiong. But that’s a story for another time. What happened to you and Yebin? I didn’t know about the fight until early this morning. Aish… I just slept in for like thirty minutes and this happens.” Nayoung whispered the last sentence from under her breath. Thankfully, Eunwoo didn’t react to that and just answered the question.

“Well…”

 

FLASHBACK TO 6 AM

 

Eunwoo woke up from the loud alarm from her phone. Groaning loudly, she fumbles for her phone and quickly slid the screen to the right, sighing in satisfaction once the alarm had been snoozed.

 

She begrudgingly stood up, but it seemed like fate had it for her the other way around. Eunwoo had hit her head on the bedpost.

 

The usually hyperactive beagle bit her lip to suppress the scream boiling from and managed to get out of her bed without waking her other roommates up, especially her leader. Nayoung was the most stressed out of all of them after all.

 

She walked out of the room, her eyes still half closed, and silently wished for fate to let her off the hook this time.

 

Before she could reach the counter, she heard the opening and closing of the refrigerator, signalling someone else was awake. As Eunwoo came closer, she heard rapping.

 

'Ah. Yebin.' She thought and made her way to the counter. She spotted Yebin rummaging through the fridge to find food. Eunwoo had this crazy idea to startle Yebin, but the rapper was faster to notice and without turning her head, she spoke.

 

"Heya, Eunwoo." Eunwoo almost screamed, but bit her lip. Her plan backfired.

 

"Hey, Yebin. How'd you know it was me?" Eunwoo said, ruffling her own hair slightly. She reached to the refrigerator and dug in for some milk and cheese.

"I know the way you walk, pabo." Yebin replied and took a seat beside Eunwoo on the counter.

 

"So I was thinking about our comeback. I know the songs are laid out already, but I thought of a concept." Yebin said excitedly, nudging Eunwoo by the shoulder. Eunwoo remained silent as she also had something in mind.

 

"I was thinking of a school girl concept!!" Yebin squealed excitedly, shaking Eunwoo lightly in excitement, however, the older girl still remained silent. Yebin seemed to be oblivious about this, however. She still kept talking about the concept she had thought of.

 

"...and we should wear school uniforms! It would bring up the atmosphere! Don't you think, Eunwoo?" Yebin turned to Eunwoo who was lost in thought.

 

"Huh? Oh, y-yeah... That sounds great." Eunwoo replied, forcing a smile on her dry lips.

 

"Thanks!! I need to tell this to Nayoung-unnie when she wakes up."

 

"Actually, I have something in mind too..." Eunwoo added. "I was thinking of the Mean Girls type of concept, and something that is similar to a party song?"

 

"A..." Yebin snorted "A PARTY SONG?? Eunwoo, what kind of song? The happy birthday type of song? Are you a kid?" Yebin burst in a fit of giggles, clutching her stomach as she did so. If Eunwoo was in the right mood, she would have laughed off the joke with Yebin, but with how her morning had turned out and the stress piling up like trash in a dumpster, she was offended by Yebin's statement.

 

"Who are you to say that, Yebin? Is your idea even perfect to begin with? Did I even disrespect your idea right in front of your face? Not only your ideas matter, you know?!" The usually beagle-like girl exclaimed just loud enough for the people in the room adjacent to the counter to wake up.

 

"Whoa, Eunwoo... Are you... are you getting mad for something like this?" Yebin's giggles died down a little, but the vibration in her voice was still evident, which irritated Eunwoo even more. "Chill, girl... School girl concepts are the new trend nowadays. Maybe we could combine-". Yebin's sentence was cut off by the scrape of Eunwoo's chair against the floor as she stood up, glaring down at Yebin.

 

"Wow, Yebin. You are SO inconsiderate and insensitive! It's my opinion! Respect mine like I respect yours! If you want it so much for Nayoung-unnie to use your concept, then FINE!" Eunwoo yelled.

 

Yebin was about to open to talk, but was cut off by the sound of the door adjacent to the counter opening and the figure of a tall girl and a certain rapper coming into view.

 

"What is the commotion all about? Your voices could be heard all the way from our room." Siyeon yawned into her palm and proceeded to ruffle her hair with the other. Minkyung stood beside her, but unlike Siyeon who was still getting rid of sleep, the tall vocalist was very much awake and glaring at the 98 liners intensely.

 

"Are you two fighting?" Minkyung raised an eyebrow at the two. "If you two are gonna continue to yell at higher octaves, then at least do it outside. Everybody is tired and need sleep!" Minkyung yelled, making the three other people who were awake flinch. It was rare for Minkyung to yell let alone get mad, after all.

 

Eunwoo lowered her head before brushing past Minkyung and plucking her shoes from the rack and grabbing some sweatpants and a hoodie. She slipped the articles of clothing on before heading out the dorm, slamming the door along her way. Eunwoo failed to register Yebin's sad stare at her before leaving.

 

The small rapper didn't intend to hurt her feelings

 

 

~-~-~-~

 

"...so that's what happened." Eunwoo finished with a sigh, and if one to take a closer observation, there were unshed tears threatening to spill out.

 

Nayoung absorbed everything her usually hyperactive friend said and came to the conclusion that Yebin had wanted to combine their ideas. The leader was pulled out of her thoughts when she heard a sniffle from Eunwoo.

 

"I... I know I overreacted and I never meant to hurt Y-Yebin's feelings... I was so stressed and the beginning of my day wasn't really good... so I took it out on her..." Eunwoo sobbed softly. Thankfully, they were the only costumers in the convenience store.

 

Nayoung wasn't that good at comforting people, so she just pulled Eunwoo in a hug, hoping to appease her friend's hurt feelings. Eunwoo returned the hug with gratefulness. She broke down in Nayoung's arms in guilt and sadness.

 

After the beagle's sobs died down, Nayoung spoke up.

 

"Here's what we're gonna do, Eunwoo... we're gonna find Yebin and you're gonna talk to her, okay?" Nayoung smiled softly and ruffled her teammate's hair.

 

"You think she would accept my apology?" Eunwoo asked.

 

"Of course. Yebin's a forgiving person, so she'll come around, okay? Let's go." Nayoung took Eunwoo's hand in hers and led her outside the convenience store to find Yebin.

 

~-~-~-~

 

Yebin sat on the couch sweets and snacks surrounding her. She set up the dorm's PS4 and plugged a game to play. She had just gone from the grocery store to buy some food for herself. Yebin had purposely avoided the convenience store since she knew that Eunwoo might be hanging around there.

 

The rapper needed something to distract her from her guilt about the argument she had with Eunwoo. Yebin knows that Nayoung would probably grill her for skipping practice, but she can't help it. The guilt was eating her up and as much as she wanted to make up with her best friend, Yebin thought she would need some space.

 

Thirty minutes into the game, she heard a knock on the door. Thinking it was her best friend, she quickly discarded the game controller without bothering to pause the game. She unlocked the door and was about to apologize.

 

"Hey, unnie!!"

Yebin's expression visibly fell when she saw Siyeon smiling at her, pearly whites baring themselves at Yebin, "Seems like you're expecting someone else, eh?" Siyeon smiled.

 

"It's not like that..." Yebin smiled sadly. The younger of the two noticed this so she decided not to tease Yebin. She shut the door and pulled Yebin in a hug.

 

"It's okay, unnie. She'll come around." Siyeon said while Yebin's back.

 

Not ten minutes later, the dorm was filled with liveliness when the other members(minus Nayoung and Eunwoo) came back to cheer Yebin up.

 

~-~-~-~

 

Nayoung and Eunwoo took their time in walking to their dorm. The atmosphere was blanketed with silence, no one daring to speak up. Eunwoo may be the most sociable out of all of them, but right now, she couldn't find herself to speak.

 

A small ding was heard from Nayoung's phone, signalling a new message. The leader dug out the phone from her jean's pocket, opening the message.

 

Kyulkyungie

1:06 P.M

Unnie, Yebin's back in the dorm in case you're wondering. Hwaiting!!

 

Nayoung smiled at the Chinese girl's antics. She placed the phone back in her pocket before resuming to walk with Eunwoo.

 

In less than 20 minutes, the two stood outside the door of their dorm. Nayoung turned to look at Eunwoo. The younger girl was visibly scared. She brought her hand up Eunwoo's shoulder and squeezed it reassuringly, making Eunwoo look at her.

 

"You can do it." Nayoung smiled at Eunwoo and ruffled her hair, making the beagle beam at her.

 

Eunwoo yanked the door open, startling the other occupants of the door. They yelled at Eunwoo jokingly and the girl returned it with one of her signature pick up lines and aegyo, making the other girls cringe. Eunwoo's eyes scanned the dorm before landing her gaze at Yebin who was staring at the ground and not laughing. She was fiddling with her fingers.

 

Nayoung signalled the girls to go outside and leave the two to talk. The other girls obliged and started out one by one, leaving the two 98-liners to talk and sort out their temporary indifferences.

 

When all of the girls are out of the dorm, silence was once again a prevalent element in the dorm except for the occasional humming of the air condition. Surprisingly, Yebin was the first to speak.

 

"Hey." She started awkwardly, fiddling with the hem of her shirt.

 

"Hey..." Eunwoo greeted back with a small wave.

 

"So umm... let's sit down and talk, shall we?" Yebin gestured for Eunwoo to sit at the sofa, to which the older girl obliged. The rapper offered a can of soda to her, nudging it on her arm.

 

"Thanks." Eunwoo popped the can open and made a small sip from it.

 

"I'm sorry!" The two occupants of the dorm said in unison, making them cough awkwardly. Yebin was the first to break the tension again.

 

"Look, Eunwoo. I'm really sorry for earlier. I didn't mean to offend you about the idea for your concept. It was meant to be a joke and I took it too far and made you feel angry about your own idea. I'm sorry... I should've checked your mood first before running my mouth." She finished, holding Eunwoo's hand to show her sincerity.

 

"I'm really sorry too, Yebin. I made my emotions get the best of me again and yelled at you when I should have... appreciated the joke you said. I was overwhelmed by stress and overreacted about the concept thing and didn't make you finish talking. I'm really, really sorry, Yebin." Eunwoo said, her voice cracking slightly. However, she chose to hold the sobs in and just settled by holding Yebin's hand instead. 

Yebin smiled softly at her.

 

"So, can we hug on it?" Eunwoo opened her arms for her friend.

 

"Of course!" Yebin exclaimed happily and moved to take Eunwoo in a bear hug which made Eunwoo almost lose balance despite sitting down. "It's good to have my buddy back!"

 

"Oh please... Our argument hadn't even lasted six hours, buddy." Eunwoo laughed, and eventually, the 98-liners' laughter filled the otherwise empty dorm. After a good deal of laughing and hugging, Eunwoo decided to ask Yebin the most important question she had since morning.

 

"So before I walked out, what was it you had in mind?"

 

"Well... I was going to suggest that we suggest our ideas to Nayoung unnie and combine them. It might turn out good, you know?"

 

"Yeah, let's do that!" Eunwoo smiled brightly, taking Yebin's hand and leading her to where Nayoung and the other girls was. Well, let's just say Eunwoo almost screamed when she yanked the door open only to see the girls pressing their ears on it.

 

~-~-~-~

 

"This seems like a great idea, Eunwoo, Yebin. I'll try to forward these concepts so that we can use this on our next MV. Good job, girls, and I'm glad you two made up." Nayoung said with a small smile playing on her lips. Eunwoo and Yebin looked at each other and squealed in delight, yanking Nayoung into a group hug. The leader smiled softly and returned the hug.

 

Nayoung may have ideas of her own stored in the ipad and the various research she did the night before and intended to use it for the MV, but seeing the smiles on Yebin and Eunwoo's face, she learned that every opinion matters.

 

Suggesting concepts and ideas in a group are important, but the coordination of its members is much more important than those ideas combined.

 

Nayoung may have put her members first and may not have had the chance to suggest her own ideas, but she wouldn't have it any other way.

 

 

A/N: I've had this chapter for a long time and I just managed to finish it now. I'm currently working on chapter 2 so i'll try to put it up as soon as possible.