Yongwon University

The Transparent Glass

That dreadful time of the year came again, for some it was very exciting but not for Lee Taemin. It was the first day of school once again. This would beTaemin's 2nd year in Yongwon University, a private performing arts that he got into just by sheer luck, he often said to his parents. They never cared much about what he wanted to do in the future, often telling him to stop wasting his time and to just take on another path such as being a doctor or a teacher. It was such a typical thing, he thought. And Taemin wasn't just a typical boy. He always felt like something was missing inside him, and when he danced, it filled him up; whatever that empty space was.

Going back to school was bittersweet for Taemin because it meant that he had freedom to roam around without anyone telling him what to do, but also meaning that he had to deal with his class mates again. Since it was a private school, he was bound to have the same class and classmates up until the end of the school year. That would be trouble for him because for some reason, they didn't like him much. Being that he was such a quiet and keep to self person, no one ever bothered to talk to him or approach him. No one ever wanted to pair with him during projects and only would when their proffessor force paired people. The only place he felt comfortable was at his dorm that he had all to himself. Luckily, no one wanted to move in with him so he had more space to himself, the only good thing about school.

 

It was morning and Taemin was heading to his first class. He had a headache, which was just perfect because he'd have an excuse of not being able to pay attention during maths class. As soon as he walked in, someone yelled out a loud hoot.

 

"Yah, Lee Taemin, welcome back!" one boy commented, obviously mocking his arrival.

 

Taemin brushed it off and continued to his seat in the far corner of the class where the windows were. He often spaced out and looked outside, often wondering what would have happened if he really did choose the wrong path in life.

 

Their home room teacher came in and addressed the entire class. As usual, she recited the same welcoming speech and over view of what she expected of them this year.

 

"Same ."  Taemin murmured to himself, as he leaned his mouth onto his arm.

 

The teacher somehow heard his comment and she wasn't happy about it at all. She stopped mid speech and stared down at the poor blonde haired boy who sat in the corner.

 

"Lee taemin, up." she ordered him, her voice echoing across the room.

 

Taemin had a look of usual in his face as he stood up with his hands behind his back. Everyone went silent and turned their attention to him. Truly no one in this school favored him.

 

She spoke with a stern voice, "Would you like to share to us what you said?"

Taemin knew not to push it, so he played the situation off. 

"I just wanted to say how wonderful it is to see you again, Miss Choi."

 

She gave Taemin a nod and he returned into his seat with a slump, leaning against his desk as he returned to dozing off. Besides not caring about people around him, Taemin was a good student. He had good grades in most of his classes, and mostly only focused on his assignments and dancing. Being that he didn't have any friends, what else could he do?

He didn't pay attention for the rest of her announcement and just looked out the windows to see if he could find anything more interesting than the chatter of other students in class. They usually did whatever they wanted to once Miss Choi left. It would usually be split up between the kids who actually wanted to study and the kids who copied off of the kids who studied. Either way, none of them wanted anything to do with Taemin. Most of the time, the most interesting thing he could find were birds that flew into the other buildings on accident. But not this time. A white luxury van pulled up at the front of the school and Taemin tilted his head in curiousity. Was it the head of the school coming to visit again?

 

Taemin leaned out a bit further as he creaked the window open, peeking over the ledge of the 3rd floor to see who arrived. Meanwhile he was looking, one of the students in his class "playfully" pushed Taemin towards the window, causing him to hit his nose against the window handle. He fell back and groaned as he held onto his nose. Half of the class errupted in laughter, mostly the kids who were friends with the popular group in school aka the slackers.

As Taemin rose up from the floor, he pulled his hand away from his nose and looked at the group of boys who stood infront of him.

 

"Why are you being so childish?!" he shouted with anger in his voice. Taemin never thought to fight them back, but he often couldn't hold himself back with words.

 

They stayed silent and Taemin wondered if he finally knocked some sense into them.

 

One of the girls in the class spoke out loud at the same time she was writing in her note book.  "Nose."   she said plainly, quickly returning to her work.

 

Taemin stood there for a second before looking at his hand and seeing crimson red all over it. His nose was bleeding. He reached up to touch his nose and felt the liquid running down his upper lip. Somewhat scared but amused, the boy and his possy stood infront of Taemin with smirks on their faces, some even giggling to theirself. Taemin gave them one more glare before pushing them all aside and running out of the class room and down the hall, in target for the bathroom. He dashed as fast as he could, not even looking at the path infront of him, in order to avoid any stares from the nearby classrooms. 

As soon as Taemin turned the corner towards the washrooms, he yet again felt himself fall back down on the floor with a loud thud sound. The blonde haired boy had bumped into someone. He quickly picked himself up and looked up to see another boy standing infront of him, patting his shirt off.

 

Without even bothering to look, he bowed and quickly apologized, "I'm so sorry." Taemin spoke softly, before making his way into the boy's bathroom.

 

The bathroom remained quiet and still. Rays of sun shone in from the small gaps of the window at the far side of the bathroom. The entire room smelled like chemicals from cleaning products but Taemin didn't mind, because that meant having a clean bathroom. He isn't a person who favored dirty places. Moving towards the sink, he the faucet and grabbed some tissues from the dispenser, gently wiping at the now dry blood that was on his lips. Taemin let out a soft sigh, shaking his head gently as he looked at himself in the mirror. 

Light red water trailed down his chin, the blood and water mixing in together. He looked like a hot mess. Blonde hair everywhere his face as he sweated perfusely. Needing to get himself together, he ran his fingers through his hair to place it back neatly in place. Taking a tissue with him, he walked out of the bathroom and headed back to class, this time, slowly. Taemin heard some chatter and footsteps from their section and wondered what it was. Curious, he began to pace himself quickly back to their hall, but as soon as he arrived, there was nobody there. He slipped his hands into his pockets and sighed, heading back into his class and slouching in his seat again. It didn't take him long to realize that there were less people in his class than usual. It was quiet, and that meant the slackers went off somewhere. Taemin rose from his seat again and left the room all to the scholars of B-93. He peeked his head out into the hall but saw the same thing he did.

 

"Where did they go...?" Taemin asked himself.

 

He pushed his body out a bit further into the hall and looked down the classes, towards their neighboring section A-94. This class was the only other class on their floor, and it was where the fashion and modeling students were. Each class had windows all across from the first door, to the second door on the other side of the class. They made sure not to make each class right infront of each other, because it would be too distracting for the students. Taemin noticed that the slackers were in that exact class. But what were they doing there? They certainly only liked coreographing and dancing because they thought it was the easiest. One by one, the possy of snobs came out and Taemin got even more curious as to what they were in there for. 

 

Finally, he caught a glimpse and time froze. Literally. Taemin laid his eyes on a guy who stood infront of the class, hands in his pockets. He had their uniform on, but it looked more crisp and new than everyone else's. Curiousity ran over Taemin's entire brain and he began to scan this guy's entire body. His face was well sculpted, if that was even possible. A strong jaw, with a soft nose to match. The boy's eyes were gentle and his lips were plump with a nice peach color to it and his skin was a y tan bronze. It complimented the glare of his eyes very well. He began to walk down the middle isle between desks, and his jet black hair gently moved with his every motion. It had a nice shine to it.

 

Finally realizing that the snob group were coming back to class, Taemin snapped out of it and jumped back into his seat. He dug his head face first into some random book about coreographing that was ontop of his desk, not even realizing it was upside down.

 

"B-93 doesn't belong in here. Go back to your class, this isn't a show." Sungwoon, the leader of the slackers, mocked the professor from A-94. He kicked aside a chair that was in his way and sat ontop of a desk.

 

Following behind him was Moonkyu, his right hand man and Soojung, his roadie, you can call it.

 

"Don't mind her, dude. She probably just wants some of you. You know how chicks are." Moonkyu spoke as he sat down on the chair that Sungwoon kicked aside.

"Ew. Shut up, Kyu. Get your gay out of here."  Soojung whined, as she always did.

For some reason, Moonkyu got very defensive over her words, "Me? Gay? Ha!" He laughed to himself for a moment before scanning the room and staring down at Taemin. "The one you should be calling gay is Taemin." 

 

Of course, as soon as Taemin's name was mentioned, everyone in class dropped what they were doing and turned their attention towards him. 

 

"Ah ..." He groaned under his breath, trying to slouch in his seat more and covering his face with the book in hopes of no interaction.

But of course not. When would Sungwoon let a chance to bother Taemin, pass by? He hopped off his desk and walked towards Taemin's desk. The poor blonde headed boy stayed as still as he could, just as a gazelle would if a lion was out for him. 

 

Sungwoon snatched the book out of his hands and held it up in the air as he read it. "Hah. Who would have thought? Lee Taemin can read upside down!" 

The rest of his crew let out loud laughter in support of their leaderm, of course. Sungwoon was one of the richest kids in the University, so almost everyone up to him. He had power.

"So. You're a , is that it?"

Moonkyu butted in, "Yeah, Sungwoon! I saw him staring at the new guy next door. What a weirdo."

Sungwoon let out a chuckle and threw the book across Taemin's desk, letting it fall to the floor. "That guy is one of us. So don't even try getting your dirty little hands on him. No one likes you."

 

Taemin's response was just not to reply, of course. He didn't want to make anything worst than it already was. Even though they threw such nasty words at him, he knew how to stay strong. The blonde tips of his hair hung over his eyes as Taemin leaned down to pick up the book, dusting it off.

 

"Kim Jongin?"  Professor Ryu called out the name on roll call.

Jongin rose from his seat and being the new transfer kids in class, everyone looked at him.

He managed to smile at everyone and spoke, "Here." 

She sent him a smile with a gesture to the class, "Welcome to our class again, Mister Kim."

 

As soon as he was dismissed, Jongin sat back in his seat. The only place left in the class was the one way in the corner of the room, but he didn't mind. Everyone in this class seemed friendly anyways. People immidiately began to talk to him.

 

A girl who sat to his front turned around and offered Jongin her hand. He being a polite person, shook it and greeted her back.

"Welcome to our class, Jongin. I promise you'll have the time of your life here." the girl said with a warm grin across her face.

 

She was very chatty, so I guess that was good for Jongin because he wasn't comfortable with small talk. The girl's name was Yoora, he took note. Yoora explained most of the things that Jongin needed to know in the class, so that was good too. No more asking around. And Jongin was glad he found a friend on the first day with his act of trying to be nice.

How long can I keep this up? he thought to himself.

 

Jongin, he began to get curious about their section.

"Say, uh Yoora? Would you happen to know what that class is for?" Jongin asked, as soon as he put his friendly mask on, pointing to the open door across from jongin's seat.

She had to lean out a bit, considering she couldn't catch a glimpse of the door from where she sat.

"Ah, that's the dance and coreography class. Lots of bad kids, but there are also talented ones. Don't worry, you'll have everything you need with us." 

Jongin sent her a smile and she turned back to her own desk.

 

Lots of things ran in his head, mostly lots of relief since he was able to pull off his friendly act. Jongin wasn't really that friendly with people he just met, and barely even with people he'd known for a while. Which was rare, because he was always traveling because of his dad that would just leave him in boarding schools as he went to business trips.

It was free time, and Jongin began to look around the room to see what there was. There were lots of camera equipment in the room, and lighting too. In the far front corner of the class, there was a closet which seemed to have tons of fabric inside of it. Typical things for a modeling and fashion class. 

Amidst his searching around the room, the new transfer kid heard a loud slam from the room across. He door was open directly to theirs, so he saw the exact opposite spot of his own, in the other room. A blonde haired person sat in the corner and Jongin noticed that they were being confronted by another student who had a group behind him. The student slouched in their seat, but had a look of familiarity in their face. They sat up as soon as the book was obtained, and Jongin got a better view of their face. It's a boy? Well...he looked too pretty to be a boy. Jongin began to feel sorry for him, but quickly snapped out of his longing stare as he was called by someone from his own class.

 

But thoughts kept running in his mind. 

 

Who is this pretty boy?

 


8/30/17 

Please feel free to leave some comments about the chapter in the comment section, and don't forget to up vote if you liked it! I would also very much appreciate feedback~ THANK YOU!