Library

Let's Be Enemies

Vernon nearly jumped out of his skin at Quinn’s quick turn.

 

“Is there any reason you’re following me?” she hissed, her face framed between two heavy books on the shelf between them.

 

Vernon rolled his eyes.

 

“Just because we’re near each other, doesn’t mean I’m following you.”

 

“I just think it’s strange how you could be anywhere but you chose the library, of all places.”

 

Vernon’s jaw clenched.

 

“What, don’t think I know how to read?” she saw an unfamiliar, not so comforting, glint in his eyes, gone as quick as it came.

 

“I didn’t say that,” Quinn feigned innocence. “Just thought you were more of the roof-top variety or would ditch school for the movies, is all.” she began walking down her aisle, signifying the end of the conversation.

 

Vernon gently followed her direction.

 

Quinn turned around, hearing the soft rustle of his bag rubbing against his jacket.

 

“Still not following you. Just going this way,” Vernon looked ahead, not bothering to meet her accusing face. “Besides, there’s not many places either of us can go right now without being suspicious, since clearly we can’t go back to class and we’re not going to the nurse. And not that it’s your business, but I’m not the roof-top type and I don't ditch school for movies.”

 

At his last word, they’d both reached the end of the bookshelves and faced each other.

 

Vernon looked at her and Quinn found herself instinctively staring him down, or rather staring him up? He had a good few inches on her height. Something about his sudden stoneness was unsettling, like he was telling her to be careful without actually saying so and she didn’t like that threat even if it was well deserved at this point.

 

The bell rang but neither flinched.

 

“Vernon!”

 

Vernon broke eye contact first, looking past Quinn’s shoulder and he smiled.

 

It’s not that Quinn had never seen Vernon smile. But usually it was obnoxious, in the mix of laughter with his crew, sitting on his desk and nearly kneeling over like he had to show everyone just how much of a good time he was having.

 

This smile was slow and quiet. Like he had all the time in the world for it to start and finish. It was that important.

 

Quinn glanced behind her, watching a tall girl with long hair walk over.

 

“What are you doing here?” the girl asked, curiously looking at the two of them.

 

Vernon looked at Quinn and his smile faded.

 

“Oh, uh. This is Quinn. I had to take her to the nurse,” Vernon explained without obviously thinking.

 

“This is the nurse’s office?” the girl laughed, it sounded delicate like diamond sparkles or something irritating.

 

Quinn bit back her grimace, not only at the laugh but the stark contrast in Vernon’s treatment. From the way he’d stopped smiling when he looked at her, you’d think she was dumpster trash or something equally disgusting.

 

“Oh, um, haha,” Vernon shuffled his feet nervously. “We decided to stop here afterwards because I had a book to pick up.”

 

“What book?”

 

‘Geeze, what’s with the interrogation? Is she police or something?’ Quinn watched Vernon struggle for a second before jumping in.


“Sorry, I didn’t catch your name?”

 

“Sowon,” the pretty girl smiled.

 

“Ah, Sowon. I’m sorry, but I think I still feel a little sick,” Quinn put on a face and clutched her stomach. “I think I might have to go back to the nurse. Vernon, could you take me?” Quinn looked at him with widening eyes, batting her eyelashes.

 

Vernon looked down at her confused before realization settled in.

 

“Yeah, of course,” he grabbed Quinn’s bag from her shoulder and put it on his own, apologetically shrugging at Sowon. “Sorry, let’s talk later.”

 

Sowon nodded in understanding.

 

“Yeah, for sure. Feel better, Quinn,” she said after them.

 

Quinn tried not to react to the sweetness.

 

“Who was that, another one of your fans?”

 

“So that’s the thanks I get for getting us out of there.”

 

You? That was all me. And for someone that accused me of implying you couldn’t read, you sure did have a hard time coming up with a book title.”

 

They reached the hallway, a few lingering students still heading toward their classes or down to the cafeteria.

 

Vernon groaned, looking up to the ceiling and exposing his bare neck. Quinn wondered if the veins always looked that defined or if he was just having a moment.

 

“I’m really trying here,” she heard him grit. “But you’re so… insufferable?”

 

“Ha! Me? You’re one to talk! And that Sowon girl. Geeze, Ms. Twenty-One Questions much?”

 

“Literally, what are you talking about.”

 

“Might as well implant a tracking chip in your brain so she knows what’s going on there and where you are 24/7.”

 

“What?”

 

“Anyway, I’m going to be late. Thanks for nearly getting me in trouble in class and wasting my entire afternoon. Goodbye.” Quinn stormed off.

 

“What?!” Vernon yelled after her. “What just happened?!”

 

. . .

 

“Interesting,” is all Irene could say after Quinn told the whole story, leaning against her locker with her arms crossed.

 

“In what sense?” she cocked an eyebrow.

 

“Just… generally, interesting,” Irene shrugged.

 

“Okay, that tells me nothing.”

 

“I don’t know what else to say! It’s just interesting. You usually don’t get pulled into these stunts even with your mouth…”

 

“Well, you’re not wrong,” Quinn nodded as they walked out the main entrance and into the late afternoon sunlight. “Hopefully that was the first and last time.”

 

“Don’t jinx yourself,” Irene warned.

 

Quinn sighed, rolling her neck in a stretch and tugged at her short afro curls. She’d done a big chop a couple years ago and her hair still didn’t reach her shoulders. Not that she minded. The short hair was freeing.

 

“You know what I’m in the mood for?”

 

Irene hummed. “Strawberry shortcake.”

 

“It’s freaky how you always know. Let’s go be Lee Joon’s best nightmare.”