Seating Chart

Let's Be Enemies

“He’s so… ugh!” Quinn stomped her feet, reverting to a child’s temper tantrum. “He knew I wanted to sit next to you! We always sit next to each other, but, of course, he had to sit between us, like the he is.”

 

Her best friend Irene nodded sympathetically. There wasn’t anything they could do to change the situation and Irene wasn’t much for confrontation.

 

“It’s like he goes out of his way to make my life hell,” Quinn stated dramatically.

 

All she wanted was to simply finish her last year in first grade with as little stress as possible. It was already tough getting through school, after school events, tutoring… And to add Vernon to the mess when he could keep to himself if he wanted to...

 

Quinn huffed, crossing her arms and glaring at the doorway.

 

As if on cue, Vernon walked through it in his usual slow swagger. Hands slipped in his pockets, shoulders relaxed, and one chunk of his bangs being blown by the whistle of air emitting from his mouth.

 

His eyebrows raised slowly at the sight of Quinn with her hands on her hips, feet firmly placed in the ground like a bull facing off a red flag. Which he was. Many red flags all in one.

 

He pointed to himself and mouthed “me?”

 

Quinn pushed her tongue into the bottom of her lip, making it pout in her scoff.

 

“What do you think?”

 

Vernon blinked a few times, then shrugged and began walking away.

 

“Yes, you!” It’s always you, she wanted to add.

 

Vernon turned around on his heels, looking bored of the conversation which it wasn’t really. Not when she wasn’t explaining herself.

 

“What about me?’

 

“You took my seat! Irene and I always choose seats next to each other when it’s time to pick a new seating arrangement.”

 

“Doesn’t that defeat the purpose of having a new seating arrangement?”

 

“That’s not the point.” she found her eyes squinting so hard, she could barely begin to see him and his stupid smile. Her hands clenching in fists.

 

Irene looked between the two of them, worried and bent over to reach Quinn’s ear.

 

“Quinn… Ten, remember. We’ve talked about this.”

 

Yeah, yeah, counting to ten. Ten wasn’t enough numbers when it came to Vernon. First, Quinn would have to count to infinity if she wanted to calm down.

 

“Then what’s the point?’

 

“I already told you the point! Irene and I sit next to each other, each time and you ruined it on purpose because- because-”

 

Quinn tried to grasp a reason that didn’t sound so contrive and baseless. Because he didn’t like her? She couldn’t necessarily prove that, even if he did get in her way all the time it seemed. He never directly insulted her. He didn’t bully her. He was just arrogant and acted like he was some sort of high school prince because all the people at school liked him.

 

“I don’t know why, you just did.” she added. So much for baseless.

 

“Wow, Quinn. I never took you for a narcissist. Maybe I chose that seat because I wanted it. Maybe everything doesn’t have to do with you. Ever think of that?”

 

Quinn straightened her posture and felt heat in her cheeks. No, she hadn’t.

 

“And I thought you were smart.” Vernon said, before turning to walk down the hallway. Letting the echoes of his footsteps have the last word.

 

Irene, yelled after him. “W-well, she is!” with her hands cupped around , but it was too late. He was long gone.

 

Quinn looked at her best friend.

 

“Thanks,” she dully said, still mad but now mad at herself for looking like a complete fool.

 

What if it all was in her head? What if she was just making up these things and Vernon paid as much attention to her as he did to over half the girls in class? Did she want to be special to him in some weird way?

 

“I need a milkshake immediately.”

 

Irene caringly put her arm over Quinn’s shoulder and rubbed the side of it.

 

“Lucy’s it is then.”