nine

As They Once Were

Sinbi doesn’t know if it’s a good idea or even a possible one, but she has to see Yerin. She has to see with her own eyes that Yerin’s okay, and she has to hear with her own ears what really happened, or at least what Yerin is able and willing to tell her. She doubts that she can find out the whole story, but she’s determined to at least find more pieces that she can hopefully put together into a fuller, clearer picture.

Somehow, she’s not surprised to find Yerin’s palace heavily guarded and she’s wondering how on earth she’s supposed to get in when a familiar-looking gungnyeo walks out.

“Yuna!” Sinbi calls, frantically waving her arm to get Yuna’s attention.

It works, because Yuna stops and stares at her. “Sinbi?” She nods fervently, and Yuna makes her way over. “Are you here to see wangsejabin?”

“No, I’m just here to admire the flowers.”

“They’re lovely, aren’t they?” Yuna says with a smile. Sinbi can’t tell if she’s going with the joke or just genuinely clueless.

“Uh yes, they are but your original guess was correct. I am here to see Yerin un—I mean, wangsejabin. That is, if I’m allowed.”

“Her visitors are being carefully monitored. Technically, only wangseja, the taeui who treated her and Sojung-gongju are allowed to see her.”

“Oh,” Sinbi says, her stomach sinking. She doesn’t miss Sojung’s place on that exclusive list, one that was no doubt made by Seokjin. She wonders what that list would look like if Yerin were the one to make it, although maybe what she’s really wondering is not the list of people who can enter Yerin’s palace but rather her heart.

“But I’m sure that Yerin-sejabin would make an exception for you.”

Sinbi gives a weak smile. “You know what, maybe I shouldn’t have come,” she says, already regretting her impulsive decision. She takes a step back, retreating, not so much from the physical place but from everything it embodies.

Yuna blinks. “But you just got here. And it’s a long trek all the way across the palace. You’re not even going to come in?”

Sinbi swallows. “I think it was a mistake for me to come here.”

“I’m sure that Yerin-sejabin would—” Yuna starts, but Sinbi never finds out what she’s sure Yerin would or wouldn’t because another voice cuts in just then. A feminine, haughty voice dripping with the fake sweetness that Sinbi has heard too much in the palace.

“I had heard that poor Consort Jung was very ill so I came all the way here to check on her, but she cannot be that unwell if her personal gungnyeo is here having a nice chat with—who is this?”

Yuna stiffens. “Consort Park,” she says with a shallow bow that’s more like a muscle spasm.

Sinbi turns around and comes face to face with a woman dressed in the kind of fine robes that indicate she’s at least a high-ranked concubine, if not a consort. Her hair has so many pins in it that Sinbi wonders how she can still hold her head up with all that weight, but she’s not only holding it up fine she’s literally looking down her nose at them. She would have been beautiful if she didn’t have a look on her face like she just spotted two particularly ugly dung beetles.

“I asked who you are, gungnyeo,” the woman – Consort Park – sneers, emphasizing the last word like Sinbi is too dumb to understand her.

“This is Sinbi,” Yuna hurriedly says. “The personal gungnyeo of Sojung-gongju.”

Consort Park glares at Yuna. “I was talking to her, not to you. Why are you speaking when you have not been spoken to? You seem to have forgotten your place, gungnyeo.”

Sinbi can’t stand the way that Consort Park says gungnyeo, like they’re worth less than one of the pins in her hair, and she wishes that she could give Consort Park a piece of her mind but she knows that would be beyond a bad idea.

Yuna looks like she’s in danger of popping a blood vessel, but she replies, “I apologize, Consort Park,” in such an even, cordial tone that Sinbi has to applaud her restraint. She can barely hold herself back from strangling this woman, not to mention talk to her so politely.

“So, you are the personal gungnyeo of the eldest princess,” Consort Park says coolly to Sinbi. “Why is it that you are here then? Why are you not serving your lady as you should be?”

Yuna looks like she wants to answer for Sinbi again, but Sinbi has a feeling that Consort Park wouldn’t just verbally scold her this time.

“Sojung-gongju and Yerin-sejabin are good friends.” Sinbi figures that the piece of knowledge is safe enough to give out. “Sojung-gongju was very concerned when Yerin-sejabin became…unwell.”

“She sent you here then?” Consort Park asks, and Sinbi nods even though it’s not exactly true. “Answer when I ask you a question, gungnyeo.”

“Yes,” Sinbi grits out through her teeth.

“Why is she not here herself? She is too busy to check on her dear friend in person, so she merely sends a servant out to do it? I suppose that will ease her conscience and she can give herself a pat on the back afterwards.”

It’s taking every vestige of Sinbi’s self-control to not snap something at Consort Park. She’s so overtaken with indignant rage that she’s physically shaking, but she knows that she has to control her tongue.

She’s angry about the way Consort Park calls them gungnyeo even though she clearly knows both of their names, like they’re not worth having names, like they’re not even human. But more than that, she’s absolutely furious at the implication that Sojung is lazy and can’t bother to come see Yerin, like she doesn’t care about Yerin when she had returned to her chambers pale and shaken like she had suddenly aged years in the span of a few hours.

“I am touched that you are so concerned about Yerin and who comes to see her,” comes a very familiar voice, but warped by that tone of honeyed venom. “As it is, I simply got delayed and sent Sinbi out to check that visitors are allowed. It happens that I found out only Seokjin-orabeoni, a court physician and I are on the permitted visitors list. I am certain that Yerin would be devastated at the absence of your company.”

Consort Park looks like she’s steaming at the ears, but even she must know better than to pick a fight with the eldest princess and favourite sister of the crown prince. “It is regrettable that I am not on that list, but I am not surprised that you are, gongjunim. You two have always been so very close. You must have been devastated that she fell ill.”

Sinbi doesn’t miss the emphasis that Consort Park puts on “so very close,” like she’s suggesting something, and judging by the way Sojung’s shoulders stiffen, neither does she.

“I was very upset,” Sojung says, her voice soft but her eyes anything but, trained on Consort Park like a challenge. “But nobody was as upset as Seokjin-orabeoni. I have never seen him so angry. I pity the person who was behind this, because if Seokjin-orabeoni finds them he will show them the meaning of true suffering.”

Is it just Sinbi, or does Consort Park look paler? “Someone was behind Yerin-sejabin’s illness?” she asks like that’s news to her. “I had only heard that she suddenly fell ill. You make it sound like she was deliberately injured. I know you are very concerned, gongjunim, but it is not healthy to see enemies lurking around every corner.”

“I absolutely agree with you on that, Consort Park,” Sojung says. “However, what would be even worse is to mistake a foe for a friend. Sometimes, it is the best of friends who turn into the worst of enemies.”

Consort Park laughs, a sound as fake as the concern she expressed. “Then I suppose she should watch out, given who her closest friend is. Maybe you should not give her this speech, gongjunim. She might become wary of you and what a terrible shame that would be given how close you are.”

Sojung gives a thin smile. “I am not afraid to tell Yerin that, although I am sure she already knows. She has the insight to see the darkest desires lurking in someone’s heart, and yet somehow she chooses to see the best of them. I have always admired her for that.”

“You speak of her with such…affection,” Consort Park says, with a very deliberate pause. “It is heartwarming to hear. She must be overjoyed to have a…friend who thinks so highly of her.”

Sinbi can’t hold herself back any longer. “Yerin-sejabin deserves such a friend, because she treats everyone with kindness and respect.”

Consort Park turns on her like a striking snake. “I did not recall asking you for your opinion, gungnyeo.”

“Her name is Sinbi,” Sojung says firmly. “And she is simply saying the truth. Unless you wish to suggest that Yerin is a cruel and disrespectful person?”

“No, of course not,” Consort Park says with another terribly fake smile. “How could anyone say that about dear Yerin?”

It’s the first time that she’s said Yerin’s name, and somehow it’s even worse than the way she said gungnyeo. Sinbi doesn’t want to hear her using Yerin’s name again; it sounds ugly on her tongue, tainted, nothing like the way it sounds from Sojung or Yuna.

“I have left wangsejabin’s side for too long,” Yuna suddenly speaks up, startling Sinbi, who had almost forgotten she was there. “I should return to her and see if there is anything she requires.” She looks at Sojung as she says this, like she’s waiting for her permission to be dismissed from the conversation.

“Yes, you should,” Sojung says, both of them completely ignoring Consort Park, who looks incensed that nobody is asking her but is not stupid enough to voice her displeasure. “Thank you for taking care of Yerin, Yuna.”

“I am only doing my duty,” Yuna replies with a deep, heartfelt bow. “Please take care, gongjunim.” She inclines her head at Sinbi, who nods back, and gives Consort Park the briefest of bows before making her way back to Yerin’s palace.

“Come on, Sinbi,” Sojung says, acting like Consort Park is as present as a tree or rock. “Let’s go home.”

Sinbi’s heart skips a beat. “But what about—” She glances towards Yuna’s retreating figure.

“I just spoke to Hayoung”—another one of Yerin’s gungnyeo—“Yerin is unwell and she is not feeling up to visitors right now. We can see her another day.”

“Okay,” Sinbi says, more than ready to leave Consort Park behind and return to Sojung’s palace – to their home – together.

“Goodbye, Sooyoung,” Sojung says, her voice mild. It almost surprises Sinbi that Consort Park has a name, although of course she must. Sinbi can think of many less flattering names she’d rather call her. “I’ll tell Yerin you dropped by and expressed concern for her wellbeing. I’m sure she’ll be touched to hear that.”

It’s the strangest thing – there isn’t the slightest hint of sarcasm or that fake sweetness in Sojung’s voice. She sounds like she totally means what she’s saying. She’s also dropped that formal speech that everyone uses in the palace to something much more casual. If Sinbi didn’t know better, she’d think that Sojung was talking to a friend.

Consort Park – Sooyoung – looks at Sojung with a strange expression. “Would she really?” she asks, and for the first time, there’s genuine emotion in her voice: uncertainty, and something almost like hope.

“If you really knew Yerin, you wouldn’t need to ask that question.”

“The Jung Yerin that I knew is not the woman I see plastered to the crown prince’s side.” Sooyoung is almost back to her old tone, except for the wistfulness that clings to the edges of her voice. “But of course, I’m sure you don’t need me to tell you that. I’m sure you see enough of the two of them together.”

There it is again, the suggestion that Sojung is more than friends with Yerin. Sinbi can tell how bothered Sojung is by it, although she wonders if it’s because it’s true or because it isn’t nearly as true as Sooyoung believes it to be.

“If you are suggesting it bothers me that Seokjin-orabeoni and Yerin are happy together, then I wonder how you feel,” Sojung retorts, her voice cool again, and any semblance of amicability between the two of them has been shattered.

“And if you are suggesting that I had anything to do with what happened to Yerin, then I wonder if you ever knew me.” Sinbi can’t tell if the look of hurt on Sooyoung’s face is real or not, but if it’s fake, then she really is an amazing actress.

“The Park Sooyoung that I knew would never do anything like that, but I wonder…”

Sooyoung looks like she wants to ask Sojung what she wonders, but then she bites her lip and her face smooths out into that haughty expression again. “Goodbye, gongjunim.” She doesn’t even look at Sinbi, not to mention address her, but for once Sinbi isn’t stung. “I would advise you to think twice about telling Consort Jung I was here.”

“I will do that,” Sojung says, “but I doubt I will arrive at a different conclusion.”

Consort Park has already turned away, and even though she’s at least as tall as Sinbi and projects the kind of aura that adds a good foot of height, she suddenly looks very small.

“Who is she, really?” Sinbi asks once she’s truly and completely out of sight.

“Consort Park Sooyoung,” Sojung says wearily. “One of Seokjin-orabeoni’s consorts and his favourite before Yerin.”

 

Yerin is lying in bed, her eyes dull and lips bloodless, but when she sees Yuna she sits up and asks with concern, “What’s wrong? Did something happen?”

Yuna puts up a smile. “Nothing. Please don’t worry.”

“Don’t lie to me.” Yerin has a power that’s like a mother: she’ll make you feel guilty with just a word or glance. “What happened?”

“Consort Park dropped by,” Yuna blurts out, “and she was being her usual charming self.”

What little colour was left in Yerin’s face drains out of it. “Sooyoung came here? She wanted to see me?”

“Well, so she claims anyway. She gave me a hard time and Sinbi an even harder one. Then Sojung-gongju showed up and—”

“Sinbi was here?” Yerin interrupts. “And Sojung unnie too?”

“Sinbi wanted to see you, but then she suddenly said she changed her mind and was going to leave when Consort Park showed up. And then she started talking down on us before Sojung-gongju came and they basically had a battle of words.”

Yerin seems to mull over this information for a while. “Who won?”

“When I left, it was pretty much a stalemate although Sojung-gongju was leading by a bit. Even Consort Park can’t insult her to her face.” But she had no such problem insulting you.

As if reading her mind, Yerin says, “I bet she didn’t hold back when it came to me.”

“She seems to genuinely detest you, unnie,” Yuna says, and wants to bite her tongue when she sees the look of deep sadness pass over Yerin’s face. “I-I didn’t mean to—”

“It’s okay, you didn’t say anything I didn’t already know.”

“Do you think she might have anything to do with…” Yuna swallows and glances at Yerin’s stomach, even though it’s covered under a blanket.

“I would like to say no, I would like to say the Sooyoung I knew would never do such a thing, but the palace has challenged my perspective on people and not in the way I would like.” Yerin sighs, her eyes dark and distant.

“Sojung-gongju defended you. She said you have the ability to see the worst in people, and yet you choose to see the best in them. She spoke very highly of you.”

“She flatters me,” Yerin murmurs.

“She’s right to,” Yuna says. “You’re the best person I know, unnie. You deserve better than this.”

By ‘this,’ she means lying weak in a bed after a malicious attack, she means being ruthlessly slandered by someone she won’t even speak ill of, she means living in a place that strips the humanity from people bit by bit until they become the very thing they once hated. Yerin is too pure for that. Yerin is too good for that.

Yerin gives a faint smile. “You flatter me too, Yuna. Many people would trade a limb for the life that I have. I should not complain.”

“Speaking of complaining, you have to take your medicine soon.” Yuna tries her best to look stern, although she has a feeling she does a terrible job. “I don’t want to hear any complaints from you.”

Yerin groans. “Again? I just got the taste of it out of my mouth.”

“Well, I have some of that lemon candy you like.”

Yerin perks up. “Where?”

“I’ll give it to you after you drink your medicine.”

Yerin groans again, and it amazes Yuna that she can be a dignified consort one second, a caring unnie the next and a whiney child right after that.

“You know, I could give you a lecture about respect and obedience.”

“You could, but you wouldn’t be the Yerin unnie I know if you did.”

Yerin’s expression sobers. “What if I’m not the Yerin unnie you know?”

Yuna gives the very intelligent response of, “Huh?”

“What if I’m not the person you think I am?”

“Then who are you, the person Consort Park thinks you are?”

“I mean, I could be.” Yerin shrugs, picking at a loose thread in her blanket. “She had to get the idea from somewhere.”

“She definitely didn’t get it from reality,” Yuna says firmly. “I know you, Yerin unnie, and Sojung-gongju definitely knows you. You are nothing like Consort Park.”

“We are more alike than you can imagine,” Yerin says tiredly. “After all, she did use to be one of my best friends.”


A/N: Okay so I know I said at the end of the last chapter that I didn't know when I'd be able to update this, but I ended up writing this chapter when I was supposed to be studying for some important thingamabob. However, the A/N at the end of last chapter still holds for the next update. For real.