epilogue.

Beggars Can Be Choosers

    “What the hell is this? I don’t want beggars at my door,” Luhan groaned when he opened his door, finding a smiling Yixing standing with a duffle bag hanging from his shoulder. The younger merely pushed past him and dropped his bag in the foyer, removing his slip on shoes with ease. Luhan just crossed his arms and found his place back on the couch. “Where’s your other half?”

    Just as Luhan asked the question, the ajar door crept open again, and the tall man in question walked in, a suitcase trailing behind him. “Speak of the Devil and he will appear,” Yixing teased, taking his and Yifan’s luggage and wandering further into the house to find the guest bedroom.

    “Yixing’s calling me the Devil?” Yifan questioned as he pulled off his shoes.

    Luhan suppressed a chuckle as the taller man sat next to him. “You should hear what Minseok calls me-”

    Yixing entered the living room again, a bundle of orange fur cradled in his arms as he plopped down next to his boyfriend on the sofa. Luhan only stared. “Tom likes you? Tom hates everyone. Including me.”

    Petting the cat’s head, Yixing only shrugged with a smile. “I’m sure he likes Minseok.”

    “You come into my house just to slander me. I’m hurt, I opened my doors for you.”

    “Wasn’t Minseok the one who paid for this house?” Yifan inquired, his arm falling over the back of the couch and around Yixing’s shoulders.

    “So isn’t Minseok the one who opened the doors for us?” Yixing added.

    “You guys are practically rich, why don’t you just get a hotel room? I don’t see why you needed to stay with us.”

    Yixing let the cat out of his arms, watching as it completely ignored Luhan and made its way to the armchair Minseok typically sat in. He looked up at Yifan with a smile. “Money is just a cushion, I think,” Yifan replied. Yixing had to agree. In the last two years, Yifan had ended his job behind cameras and opted to be the one modeling in front of them instead. Yixing, on the other hand, found himself still behind the stage curtains, only this time planning dances for idols the country fawned over. When they were doing what they loved, a good amount of money was just something added.

    “You haven’t seen me in a year, Luhan, you’re so mean to me,” Yixing whined, “I’m sure Minseok would love to see me.”

    “I had to see you for, like, fourteen years.”

    “All the more reason to miss me.”

    Luhan turned to Yifan at that. “You’ve corrupted him. He used to be so sweet. I trusted you, Wu Yifan.”

 

    “Minseok, save me, they’re acting like newlyweds and they’re not even married. I swear, we never acted like this, even as newlyweds,” Luhan immediately called out when they heard the front door open. Yixing was practically sitting in Yifan’s lap, the couple completely ignoring Luhan’s cries for help and instead intently watching the movie playing on the television.

    With one glance at the sofa, Minseok made his way into the kitchen, making Luhan jump up from his seat and follow him. Yixing could barely make out what they said, but he honestly didn’t care too much. “We definitely did act like that,” Minseok stated nonchalantly, a suctioning noise signaling that he opened the refrigerator. “I think you switched roles with him now.”

    “He’s right,” Yixing shot up, turning to observe the two in the kitchen, his chin resting on his boyfriend’s shoulder, “The moment you met Minseok, you were gushing all over him, and I was the one disgusted by it. I find my love, you get disgusted.”

    Minseok nodded his head. “You guys are too much alike.”

    Luhan crossed his arms and glared between his husband and his best friend. “I don’t have a single friend. You all hate me. I got three goddamn cats so I would have a friend, and even they hate me. The world is out to get me.”

    “Tan is my cat. You have two cats,” Minseok stated as he walked out of the room, heading towards the master bedroom.

    “Minseok used to be so sweet too,” Luhan howled.

***

    The guest bedroom was just as comfortable as Yixing hoped, and even more so with Yifan’s arms around his waist. It didn’t matter the size of the mattress or the thread count of the sheets, as long as Yixing could feel Yifan’s breath on his skin, he was as comfortable as he could ever be. “Hey,” Yifan whispered, hot breath against his neck, “Are you happy to be back here?”

    Yixing twisted around, Yifan’s arms never leaving his waist. His own s around the taller man’s neck. “I am. It’s almost nostalgic. I can’t imagine what it would be like to go back to Changsha.”

    Yifan’s smile was still visible, even under the dismal light of the moon. “You know what I promised.”

    “Seven days in Changsha and seven days in Guangzhou for our honeymoon.”

    “Mhm.”

    Yixing pecked his lips. “A proposal has to happen before we can even think about a honeymoon, Yifan.”

    “I know,” Yifan murmured, his lips meeting Yixing’s cheek. “I love you.”

    “I love you, too.”

    “I promise, it’ll happen soon.”

    “You say that so often. Maybe I want to propose to you, did you ever think about that?”

    “Let’s just propose to each other.”

    They fell silent, just watching each other in the light of the night. Yixing’s eyes hooded as he watched Yifan’s eyelashes fan against his cheeks, then his gaze trailed down to his plump lips. “Yifan,” he whispered, shuffling closer so that they shared the same breaths, “Will you marry me?”

    “It depends,” Yifan whispered back, his hands leaving Yixing’s waist to travel up to his cheeks, “Will you marry me?”

    “Yes.”

    Yifan smiled, “See? I just proposed to you.”

    Yixing was about to speak, but Yifan hushed him with a light kiss.

    “I wanted to bring you back here because we met in this city. I was going to really propose to you on this trip. I even have a ring in my suitcase. But this moment, I felt like it would mean a lot more to you. You’ve always loved talking at night.”

    The younger couldn’t meet Yifan’s eyes, instead prompting to stare at his lips again. “You’re really proposing to me.”

    “Yixing, I want to marry you.”

    “I want to marry you, too, Yifan.”

   


this is it! thank you to everyone who read, commented and upvoted this story! im so glad so many people enjoyed it, it really motivates me to write more!