It's Different This Time

Not Just Yet

 

"안녕과 안녕으로 . 시작과 같은 말로 끝나는 건 . 다 이유가 있겠지 ."

"Hello And Goodbye . Ending Things With The Same Words As The Beginning . There's A Reason To It All ."

 

🎶Happen Ending - Epik High🎶


➡️Sigh. Sitting on the rusty, brown bench confined between two walls illuminated, one by a shampoo bottle, another with a can of Coke, there sat a 25-year-old Ahn Hyungseob with his head full of pitch black hair set against said Coke-promoted wall. Buses around this time usually don't go around, so he is only greeted with the fast-moving cars that come every once in a while. In contrast to the dark sky, his yellow vest and white gloves stands out to anybody passing by; his uniform hat and stop sign lay on the seat to the right of him. Conducting traffic properly at this time of the day wouldn't be needed if there was none, so relaxing on the bus stop of the sidewalk near the clear roads would be the best thing to do right now. He takes out his phone from the pocket of the vest, along with peeling off one of his gloves. Friday, August 25, 2017. 11:54 P. M. . Another heavy sigh left his body with puffed cheeks. He sat there, but now staring at the half moon hanging above him for what had seem like an eternity. Until his head started to lean, once again, to the plastic wall, where his eyes got heavy.

Beep-Beep-Beep

"ASDFKWJD," he shrieks out loud with a jump of his shoulders.

"It's twelve am," the device speaks.

Ah... I guess it's time to head back to the station now. Hyungseob got up swiftly and grabbed his hat to put it on; also with the stop sign, he headed down the road, where he would find the police station if he turned a corner, in which he did.

Once he stepped across the threshold of the entrance, he let his stop sign fall against the wall beside him and stretched his arms in the air. Yawn. In front of him, there is a desk high enough to almost cover the people sitting behind it; but, behind that desk, there is a whole ruckus of others occasionally walking around, maybe even with some files or items. He's only been back there to get to the Personal Staff's Room, where he leaves his belongings and changes into his uniform. Of course, there are only a few people at this place, where the back is silent and there sat two officers are the front desk. To the left of him, there was a bench, where visitors usually sat; today, there was a still body laying on it with a big jacket over it.

"Oh, Officer Ahn! It must be time to clock out," one of the men behind the desk said. With his light brown hair, he turns his attention fully to Hyungseob, previously looking at the computer.

"Eh, don't call me that, Jihoon." Jihoon proceeded to tilt his head to the side, puzzled. "I don't deserve to be called an officer. All I do is hold up a stop sign from time to time."

"Man, stop putting yourself down. I get that you want to get somewhere in life, but you can't be sulking around like that."

"Yeah, yeah, thanks." The guy scoffed at Hyungseob's words before reminding himself about something.

"Oh, yeah. Over there on the bench," he pointed, "I think there's someone you know. Maybe a cousin or friend, but I've definitely seen you with him before." Hyungseob turned to the unawaken person, who could only be seen by the pieces of hair that stuck out from the jacket. Once he walked over to it, he crouched down to eye-level.

He takes a look back to Jihoon, who just shrugs, before carefully shaking the person. "Hey. What are you doing here?" He removes the padded jacket to reveal the face of someone he knew all too well. "Euiwoong!"

"Huh? What?" the guy sits up and tried to rub the sleep out of his eyes.

"Euiwoong! What are you doing here? Do you know what time it is?!"

Finally looking at Hyungseob, Euiwoong jolts just a little before replicating the face of shock the officer had on.

"Hyungseob! Hyungseob!" Tears started to form at the corners of his eyes as he spoke.

"What is it, Woong?"

"M-m-my...my..."

"Yeah?"

"My sister...she's gone." Hyungseob, who was both panicking and feeling somewhat pricked, furrowed his eyebrows and tried to calm Euiwoong down. He looks back again at Jihoon.

"Why didn't you do anything about this? Has he just been sitting here all day?"

Jihoon calmly replied, "He's been here since around 3pm. He asked for you at first, but he just said he'll wait here. I asked the chief about it, but he said to just let the boy do as he wishes. So, I complied."

"Why didn't you try to help him or anything? C'mon, you can't just let a 17-year-old wander around a police station by himself!"

"Well, he wasn't wandering. He literally slept there all day. Besides, the chief said to leave him alone and wait for you since he requested it."

Sigh. Why can't there ever be a peaceful day in this town?

"Euiwoong. Let's go to your house. It's late." Hyungseob strictly told the boy. He grabbed the guy's arm and stood him up.

"No, no, wait! Hyung, I can't go home."

"Why?"

"Euisoo, she's gone. When I got home from school, she wasn't there."

"Wha-" sigh. "Okay, I'll try to help you. We shouldn't bring these matters into the police just yet. I can help you. We might interr-" Hyungseob's eyes averted to the doors where a familiar figure came in. Oh...

"Oh!" Jihoon exclaimed for the nth time today. "It's the amazing Lieutenant Park! Whatcha doin' here?" Forgetting about Euiwoong, Hyungseob's attention was all on Lieutenant Park--the almighty, in his words, Park Woojin, who he admires wholeheartedly.

"I work here, if you didn't know, Officer Park," Woojin sternly said all in sarcasm.

"No, like, it's 12am. Why are you here?"

"Chief Park said something about a little boy who slept here all day. Told me to take care of it if he wasn't gone by 12am. Besides, I left some stuff in the back," with his hands in his pockets and white dress shirt that wasn't tucked in, he nodded to the back where he supposedly had to go. "Is the boy stil-"

To the left, there stood a pair of guys who started just right back at Woojin.
"Um, hi-I mean hello, Lieutenant Woo-er, Park!" Hyungseob stuttered as he awkwardly waved with his free hand that wasn't holding the 17-year-old.

"Uh, is that the guy? That needed help?"

"Eh? Uh, yes. B-But I got him! I know him, he's like my little brother. You don't have to worry, haha." Cold sweats started forming on the sides of his head. Oh my gosh.

"Well, what is it? I'll help anyways. It might be a serious case." Jihoon let out a small squeal as he watched this conversation unravel in front of him.

Ffffff- Park Ji-

"Really? Would you help me, please? Euisoo is gone! My sister! My only family left! Where is-" At this point, tears were really threatening to fall from his eyes. The mature, protective Euiwoong he knew shriveled with fear and worry in front of him.

"Euiwoong! Stop it! We will help you, I need you to stop, okay?" It all came back to him. The flashbacks played in the back of his mind, but he kept silent.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••  

In the cold station, where Hyungseob, somewhere around Euiwoong's age, sat on the very same bench, silent tears dropped onto his pants. "Hey, we need you to tell us everything you know to find out where your brother went, okay?" some officer asked him. "Where's your family? Parents?"

"I...I don't have any. All I have is my older brother. I don't know where my family is. They all disappeared when I was little."

"Hello? Hyungseob, wake up. Get ready for school."

"Kwoywbdkwhssz..."

"Hah, what?"

"Okay..." With a pat on his shoulder, the taller figure went away from his bed.

"I have to go to work now, so walk safely, okay?"

"Mhm."

"Goodbye." were the last words from him that Hyungseob didn't know he would hear that day.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

But, it was different this time. Instead of the world taking away a loved one from him, it took away the one that loved his friend; the only one left to love his friend.

"Okay, we'll have take this into serious matters." Woojin walked to the door that led to the open space back of the front desk. Hyungseob led Euiwoong along where Woojin went.

"Why? We don't even know if she's actually missing yet."

"Euiwoong is a minor and has no guardian right now. We have to live by the rules as officers," But I'm not the same kind of officer as you, "and take care of this as soon as possible. There's other things that happen in this city that isn't as close to what had happened to this kid." He grabbed, what Hyungseob always thought of a luck charm, an old, black journal from one of the several desks in that station. Though, Hyungseob didn't actually know what the purpose of the journal was, he always knew Woojin would have it, everytime, everywhere.

Soft sobs behind the both of them could be heard. "Euiwoong..." Hyungseob's voice now filled with worry.

"Alright, c'mon guys. Let's go figure this out quickly."

Hyungseob snapped his head to Woojin with a face of shock. "Me? I can't work on a case, I'm no detective."

"You don't need to be a detective to help someone. I know you want to be apart of my team. Why don't you start here?" He got closer to the other. The latter widen his eyes when a pair of hands went up to touch his vest.

"uHh, Woo- I mean-" With a zip of the vest, Woojin slid it off. Going towards his hands next, the gloves also went away. Hyungseob was glad it was dark, both outside and inside, because the tint on his cheeks would've only got pinker if anyone could see his face.

"If you want to be a detective, you should start proving it. You'll be standing out there in the road with this vest on everyday if you don't try."

I can't stand you anymore, Park Woojin.

"Let's go. We can take my car there." The two younger ones followed suit of Woojin towards the exit of the station. "Park Jihoon, if you don't hear from us in about 2 hours, file this as a missing persons case for Euiwoong's sister." He left through the door before anyone else.

"Yes, sir. Take care, Detective Ahn," he responded with the smirk.

"Jihoon, you-"

"Go on, go on. Go help your friend." He finally shooed off an embarrassed Hyungseob and sulking Euiwoong. 

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

It was currently 12:30am and the silence of the night was interrupted by the voice of Hyungseob, as they were in the car Woojin drove; within navy car, Euiwoong and his tear-stained face slept in the back, while the other two were in the front. "Hey, Lieutenant Park."

"You know you don't have to call me that all the time right? Just say Woojin." His left arm rested on the side of the door while his other steered; an ideal pose for what some may generally define as a 'cool' person. Or at least, what Hyungseob would define as in his dictionary. 

"Oh, okay. Anyway, I think I should drop him off at my apartment. He must be tired."

"Mm. Type in your address." He casually gave the other his phone, which already had Google Maps pulled up.  After giving the phone back, the younger decided to make a conversation.

"Um, Woojin."

"Yeah?" 

"What made you decide to become a profiler? How do you solve your cases so quickly?" Hyungseob's small smile slowly dissipated when he didn't hear an answer, not even a acknowledge to let him know his questions were heard.  

"Well, to answer your first question, I am the only child of our Head Chief, which I'm sure you already knew." His eyes remain fixed on the road, as it was since the beginning of the ride. 

"Yeah. So?"

"So, of course, I looked up to my father as a child. Especially when he was the only person that was apart of my family. He wanted the same for me as well. I guess you could say fate brought me here." Knowing he wouldn't see, the listener nodded anyway. Because he was a "fan" of Woojin, he had already known all of that. 

"What about the second question?" Hyungseob fidgeted in his seat. This was the main question for his life. How do I become like Park Woojin? Why can't I get promoted like him? Do I not have the potential for it? Maybe I just need to wait more.

"I don't think you would like to know."

"Hmm? Why?" Welp, there goes my chance. 

"A villain never reveals his tricks." Woojin finally turned to smile at Hyungseob. It only like a few seconds though. His face quickly turned into a stern one soon after.

"Villain?" Why does he think of himself as a villain?

Before the older could respond, "In 1,000 feet, your destination will be on the left."

stuPiD GooGle mAps.

"Oh, I actually have to use the restroom. Am I allowed to use yours?" Woojin asks.

"Huh? Oh, well..."

"It's okay if-"

"Oh, no! It's just that my place isn't clean for visitors. I live alone, sorry."

"No, no, it's fine. I understand." By the time he finished his sentence, Woojin was out the car and out toward the entrance of the tall building. Hyungseob did the same, along with a sleepy Euiwoong on his back. He's so light. He probably didn't eat today.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

As Woojin was currently in his bathroom, Euiwoong was still soundly sleeping. Hyungseob tucked the little one in, just as his brother would have. If he was still there.

"Hyungseob." Said person turned around to see Woojin wiping his hands on his pants. "You ready?"

"Yeah. Just let me leave a note for him."

"We're out to find Euisoo. Don't worry. If we're not back by the time u wake up, call this number (###-###-####). It's Park Jihoon. The guy at the station. He'll feed u.
-Hyungseob"

 

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

 

This time, it wasn't so quiet in the car. Hyungseob had suggested to play music, since it was the middle of the night; he was worried Woojin might get sleepy.

 

"I think it’s for the better
There’s no reason why it shouldn’t be for you too
It’s always the same ending
Just another happening,
This happen ending
Well, what can you do"

 

"Why do you think things like this happen to us?" Hyungseob questioned, not really expecting an answer.


"That's how the world works, Seob." Oh my gosh. "They say there's a reason for every happening. The world takes away the things we love, so others can be happy."

But why me? Why us? Can't we just get a favor for another? The two things I want are so close to me, but I just keep running for it, nonstop.

Sigh. "I guess, you're right, Woojin." To much of his knowledge, Woojin was in the same spot as him. There's nothing he can do about how he lives today. People see him as a smart, astonishing hero; but in reality, he lives through a passive nature, in which he wants to escape, but he just can't.


••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••


A/N. Not Edited :( Might Be Some Mistakes. Sorry For Lack Of Jinseob. This Is More Of A Hyungseob-Centric/Plot-Centric Chapter. Jinseob Will Come Soon. In Like A Few More Chapters. Comments & Criticism Are Welcomed :)