Blessing

To Love or To Be Loved
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

14th October 2014

 

 

            “Hello Donghae! How can I help you today?” the barista immediately recognized Donghae. Every barista in this coffee shop pretty much knew Donghae well as the brunette often came down for a coffee or a light snack. Donghae had a brief scan on the menu board while one of his digits tapped on his chin.

            “Any recommendation? Something warm because it’s pouring outside,” his eyes made a quick glance to his left side and pointing to the rain that was falling outside using his chin. “How about hot chocolate?” the guy offered.

            “Nah~ not in mood for sweet,” Donghae replied that he ended by pursing his thin lips.

            “The mood is perfect for hot chocolate though. Up for pumpkin spice latte?” the barista tried for another one but Donghae quickly shook his head and refused, saying, “Not my favourite at the moment.”

            Jonghoon eyed the menu board again, trying to find something that would please Donghae’s taste right now and he heard how Donghae called him by clicking his tongue several times, “A cup of americano sounds great.”

            The red head immediately glared at Donghae, “Tsk, don’t even bother ask for recommendation if you’re going to order an americano again. Seriously, you added my job in serving you,” he replied rather jokingly and it earned Donghae’s light laugh.

            He handed the cash and in another minute he was already handed a grande cup of americano. Donghae carefully took a sip, trying to taste a little and hesitantly, incase he might burn his tongue. He waved a goodbye to Jonghoon before exiting himself from the coffee shop area on the lobby of the company.

            One of the things Donghae loved the most from working in this company was the coffee shop facility. Each branch of this coorperation always made sure to have coffee shop on the lobby and all employees were welcomed to sit there and have coffee which also made all of them had an easier access to have coffee instead of going out from the neighbourhood and down the road to find a coffee shop.

            It was still twenty minutes before the lunch break was over and Donghae had had his short lunch at the canteen before he went down to grab a coffee. Gazing at the time on his watch, Donghae decided to take his time slowly before going up, back to his desk and reality of work.

            He walked toward the main entrance, planning to get some fresh air. The company was fine with the employess going out to find lunch, they were as free as that, but if you were still gone by the time lunch break was over then it would get extremely complicated. Work time was back, meant strict rules were back too.

            The coffee shop was especially quite crowded today. Maybe because it was raining so everyone was rushing to find a drink to warm them up. Some were also sitting down and eating cakes. Others were busy running around on the lobby with papers on their hands, even though it was lunch time it was quite many that were busy with work, perhaps their deadline was drawing near.

            The sun was shining brightly this morning so Donghae decided to take drop his car today and instead, he used public transportation to go to work. But who would have guessed that it would rain later in the day?

            The sliding glass door automatically opened as it sensored a presence walking nearer and Donghae was immediately greeted by the smell of rain he loved so much. He watched the drops of rain water that fell in quick speed, racing to land on the ground and flow with the other liquid.

            Yesterday, the brunette managed to avoid seeing Hyukjae throughout the whole day which was a huge struggle. Donghae came out of his department while tip toeing and eyes glancing three hundred and sixty degree all the time to check every space and corner, in case Hyukjae might suddenly show up. He felt like he was on some kind of mafia mission, trying not to get caught. Donghae was definitely not ready for that. He wanted to escape and avoid the reality as long as he could. Until the time he didn’t know when.

            The thing happening between him and Hyukjae truly had taken quite a toll of him. Donghae could focus on his work but when he was finally free, Hyukjae filled his mind with no break. The brunette instantly made a call to Heechul the moment he settled himself back to the apartment.

 

 

            “Hyung, speak something. Don’t stay silent and quiet like this. You’re scaring me,” said Donghae when he didn’t hear any respond from Heechul after telling his cousin about the morning accident.

            It was around ten seconds later when Donghae started to suspect his cousin had gone nuts as he heard him giggled his heart out all of sudden. Heechul remained giggling while Donghae felt annoyed after realising that his cousin was probably mocking him so hard.

            “Wowww.. Donghae! Oh my oh my!” his psycho cousin finally exclaimed.

Another laugh before Heechul continued, “ I really have no idea what the universe had written down for both of you. Isn’t it so amusing and fascinating? The story almost feels like coming out fresh and raw from a romantic movie. A pure coincedence first meeting, another one at Starbucks. Well, I will let that slip out as a coincedence as it was the second time.”

Donghae quirked an eyebrow, not understanding what Heechul was prying on, “But, really?” he pronounced in disbelief, “The third time? It’s not a coincedence anymore, my baby. Something had been prepared for both of you. Good or bad, no one knows. I can’t guarantee that.”

“So, you are saying that Hyukjae and I are… Uhm? How did you say it? Like on something?” Donghae asked, finding a confirmation from Heechul about his intention. And silence came which meant his dumb cousin must be answering by nodding his head when it was clearly that they were on the phone, a situation that was obvious enough that they couldn’t see each other’s action at the moment.

Donghae chuckled in sarcasm, “Hyung, I think you need to go to audition for comedians. You’re hilarious, really. That thing was the funniest thing I have ever heard this year.”

          “Tsk. Denial all the way down. Donghae, it’s me, Kim Heechul. And he is never wrong. Be careful, my cousin,” and Donghae snickered from the other side.

            “I’m quite curious of that Hyukjae guy. I wonder what he has to make my Donghae flustered and looking anxious like that,” Donghae rolled his eyes as he could see Heechul’s smirk and whispered, “I’m not.”

            “I should make a visit to your company soon and take a look of him,” said Heechul and it had Donghae immediately widened his eyes.

            “NO!” Donghae shouted quickly. “Don’t you dare to come.”

            “Try me,” Heechul replied with a thick teaseful tone and Donghae already face palmed himself using the other free hand, thinking what sin he did in the past life to be related to Heechul as his cousin.

            Heechul exclaimed on the other line before saying, “Your birthday is on this 15th right? What do you want?”

            And Donghae’s smile brightened up in second when he heard how Heechul remembered his birthday. Little thing like this touched his heart the most. The brunette never wanted any excessive presents but a simple birthday greeting on his birthday would make his smile stayed for a day.

            “Just like usual, I don’t want anything but I’m planning to do a dinner treat. Maybe around this weekend. I will contact you if I’ve decided on anything,” Donghae talked about his birthday plan for this year and Donghae hung up the phone call with Heechul when he noticed the time had ticked off a little past dinner time.

 

 

            And talking about dinner treat, he suddenly chuckled deeply as he remembered his conversation with Kyuhyun earlier as he came out of the restroom before heading for lunch. “Isn’t it your birthday tomorrow? I demand a treat, hyung!”

            Donghae clicked his tongue and scowled, “You only call me with hyung when you want something.” Donghae stopped walking, making the other guy also followed along and said to his friend while making a dramatic face with a voice that Donghae faked to be as soft as possible and Kyuhyun cringed in fear, “Kyuhyun, a human shouldn’t live like that.”

            “Who cares when you can get a free food?” Kyuhyun shrugged.

            “I’ll make a small dinner treat this weekend so make sure to come, boy!”  said the brunette and at the same time a bunch of womens that he recognized as his close colleaged huddled over, “We heard birthday treat!”

            The blonde said, “Hey Donghae! Happy birthday in advance.”

            Donghae laughed immediately, “It’s still tomorrow but sure, you guys are all invited as well. I was going to wait but you guys have heard it so yeah make sure to come,” he ended with a beam.

He smiled as he remembered all of his friends were already so hyped up and Donghae honestly could already imagine the mess but he knew they would make it fun like last year. Tomorrow would be his birthday but somehow Donghae didn’t feel any fireworks like he usually did in the past years. There was a little excitement for his birthday but it was overpowered by Hyukjae. He had thought of the other so much ever since that morning accident inside the elevator, filling the thoughts with the blackhead guy and wondering how he was doing right now.

            Donghae had many questions in his head that he wanted to ask and maybe he might die out of curiosity any moment now. He avoided Hyukjae yesterday but now he was wondering whether he came to here again, craved to ask the reason behind the guy coming here yesterday. And the brunette had silently hoped that Hyukjae didn’t come here just for a day. Donghae prayed that Hyukjae was here for a longer time, he didn’t care if it was because of business matter among the coorperation or an on-going project or even better, Hyukjae had been working under the same branch with him this entire time.

            Because for whatever the reason behind Hyukjae’s out of blue appearance yesterday, Donghae would love anything as long as that reason made Hyukjae stayed around longer. Donghae really didn’t mind anything.

            Donghae wasn’t sure lots of thing about Hyukjae. He wasn’t sure whether to slap himself or not. To think of it back, he couldn’t understand why he shouted to Hyukjae and reacted as if he didn’t want to see him. Now, Hyukjae must have had bad impression on him. Hyukjae must have assumed that Donghae was such a rude and no manner human being. Hyukjae must have hated him. And Hyukjae must be feeling disgusted toward him.

            The boy wasn’t sure as well what to think of him and Hyukjae. There was no term to fit them right now. He thought and considered what Heechul had told him. He could just shrug it off if it came out from anybody else but Kim Heechul wasn’t anybody. Heechul was his cousin and that cousin of him was quite scary with his words. Every word of his almost came out as a law. It was as if Heechul was possessed by spirit, like some kind of fortune teller but Donghae knew he wasn’t. Yet, Donghae acknowledged him because he grew up listening to every Heechul’s prediction and all was right. 

            And for the first time in his life, Donghae questioned Heechul. No matter how many times and how long Donghae had thought through and through about Heechul’s words, it seemed ridiculous and went more nonsense each time he thought of it again.

            Because maybe Donghae had grown tired in falling into disappointment. Dream big was great but Donghae also had learnt that shotting yourself up high to the sky would be too risky and dangerous. The chances of you might fall rose higher everytime you flapped your wings another meter higher. And the higher you went, the harder you’d fall. High out of reach and there might be chances you wouldn’t survive.

            Another thing was that Donghae started to wonder whether the elevator event was the start of the his punishment or blessing. Could it be the Deity was currently punishing Donghae because the boy had been too greedy and selfish?

            The Deity had been so generous an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter