Tangled

To Love or To Be Loved
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

            It was still the beginning of the month and Donghae could already foresee the stacks of paper and folders sitting beautifully on his desk waiting for him to come and pay attention on them. His job was fun and something he enjoyed but at time like this, he just wanted to burn all the documents one by one while laughing devilishly like some evil character in the drama.

            Sometimes, Donghae felt like the elevator was taking too long for his liking and he actually preferred to go up by stairs but since his department was in 12th floor, he didn’t even bother at all.

            There was no way Donghae would go up using the stairs because it was freaking 12th floor which meant he needed to take hundreds of stairs. He could make it there alive. Yes, alive but soaking in sweat and he didn’t want to be asked question like, “Hey, Donghae! Did you just take shower?” by his colleague.

So, elevator was his choice.

            He rolled his eyes when the elevator opened back again before a man stepped in to join him. The man was panting so hard that Donghae started to wonder whether he ran from his home to work. The black hair man was half-squatting, bending down his body to catch his breath while his face was still staring on the floor made of steel.

            The man’s hair was combed over to the side and his black brief case was hold tightly on his right hand which was still resting on his knees.

            The elevator started to work its engine and closed the door.

            The man who was still a little out of breath realised that his floor wasn’t pushed yet so he raised himself to stand steadier and reached for the buttons of the floor.

            His digit pressed on the 15th floor and now, his face was shown clearly. Clear enough for Donghae to take a look and realised who this guy was.

            The elevator was centimeters away from being closed perfectly and Donghae’s eyes immediately widened as wide as saucepans with a loud gasp he chanted by heart.

            His mind started to race as the adrenaline rushed him. His pulse was starting to get out of control while his heart was thumping loudly, hurting his ribcage. His breath was cut shorter.

            OH MY GOD! LORD! HOLY S--! THE HELL! F--! WHAT IN TH--! FREAKING SH--! WHAT IN THE ?!!

            The elevator closed.

            “YOU!!” Donghae roared to the other guy. He didn’t even realise that his tone went higher quite a few octaves. The word came out harsher than Donghae intended to, startling the other guy that was oblivious to his surrounding.

            Yet, no one could really blame Donghae at this moment. He was indeed very shocked to see the guy he had been pushing away and just thought of him for a short few seconds, showing up here out of nowhere. To make it worse, he was stuck with the guy on this little steel box called elevator.

            Donghae’s legs stepped back without the command of the owner, as if trying to bring his body to escape from the situation but the brunette had no place to go. He was stuck in the corner, with Lee Hyukjae in the elevator.

            Hyukjae who was trying to stabalize his breath was being shouted out of blue. The shouting was kind of out of rage, shock and a hint of frustration. He turned around to the guy who roared at him. Hyukjae started to boil in the inside.

            Hyukjae turned around to the voice and his own voice immediately died down. He stumbled a little after seeing Donghae was in the other corner, staring at him with round eyes and Hyukjae thought maybe he saw Donghae shivered.

            The almond eyes were shot big, as if trying to scan the person in front of him while trying to decide whether this was only an illusion. Hyukjae pinched his cheek using his digits and he winced in pain afterward which meant this was not a dream.

            He gulped, “D-Donghae,” Hyukjae called out and he swore he tried hard not to stutter but his effort evaporated into nothing.

            “W-what are you doing here?” Hyukjae asked again.

            Donghae reminded frozen in his feet, his brain couldn’t digest anything at the moment. Donghae started to imagine that he could smell a faint scent of burning, maybe coming from his brain that was on fire right now.

His soul was slowly flying away from his body. He was getting dizzy and overwhelmed by the situation.

“It’s more like what in the are you doing here?” Donghae really had no intention to reply rudely to Hyukjae but he somehow couldn’t stop it and he was quite surprised that his sound was still sounding so steady and solid. Donghae felt betrayed at the moment.

“M-me?”

“I--,” Hyukjae was trying to explain himself to Donghae but at the same time, the elevator made a ding and Donghae snapped out of his thoughts in instant.

The brunette tightened the hold on his briefcase before mumbling, “I’m sorry. I have to go,” and Donghae dashed off just like that, out of Hyukjae’s sight, leaving the older now dumbfounded.

Hyukjae heaved a heavy sigh and hit himself for being so slow to explain himself to Donghae.

 

 

 

 

 

             Donghae wasn’t sure whether he should be thankful to the Deity or regretting it. He was so flustered to see Hyukjae at the unexpected place. More over, he was stuck together with him for a 12th floor long journey. 

            The brunette felt so embarrassed for shouting and speaking in a rude tone to Hyukjae when the latter didn’t even expect the situation. He regretted it but it wasn’t like he could apologize at that moment as well.

             He had treated the other badly and now Donghae wasn’t sure whether Hyukjae would still say hi to him the next time they met, if there was any again. Donghae didn’t know that the elevator ride to his department could take this long, it almost felt like forever.

            Donghae could see the other was shocked as well to see him in the elevator and the air was filled with heavy awkwardness that it was starting to get uncomfortable.

            Yet, Donghae caught himself cursing the elevator when it made a ding sound, reminding him again that he should get off on that floor. One thing for sure, Donghae was half glad and half devastated as he stepped out.

            Glad that he wasn’t stuck with Hyukjae in the elevator with unbearable awkwardness and didn’t have to embarrass himself worse.

            Devastated that he wasn’t able to see Hyukjae, until the time he didn’t even know when.

            Donghae saw the chance to escape and he took it immediately with heavy heart.

            As soon as he get of the elevator, he brought his legs to speed up his pace, trying to enter his department as fast as himself could take. The brunette quickly made the attendance to the machine before rushing to his desk with shaky legs and short breath.

            He dropped his brief case on the floor, not caring to put the item on a proper place, and immediately bury his head inside both of his arms. He squeaked painfully low and in frustration while pulling his hair trying to ease some stress from himself.

            “Bad morning?” someone asked and Donghae jumped in his seat before shotting his head up to see Kyuhyun just walked  back to his desk with a paper cup of tea.

            Donghae sighed, “Not really but can say so.”

            Kyuhyun sat down while frowning at the other. H

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter