nineteen

Birthday Wishes

06 || nineteen


Koo Junhwe was in lot of aspects a terrible roommate; he was loud, obnoxious, ate all of Chanwoo’s food without asking, regularly forgot to flush the toilet properly and did many other annoying things. It really should have bothered Chanwoo more than it did but none of those shortcomings came close to what Chanwoo considered Junhwe’s best quality; his complete lack of interest in anything that didn’t directly concern him. Which meant Chanwoo could close himself inside his room and spend time doing nothing besides staring out of the window while he reminisced about everything that happened in the last year.

His parents had finally divorced each other without much drama. But that meant that instead of hearing ‘I’m so disappointed at you. Why are you wasting your life instead of going to a university like any other normal kid your age?’ speech once he had to sit thru it two times.

Despite living in the same city he barely heard from his brother who seemed pretty comfortable with living out his life as far away from his family as he could.

And then there was Moon Bin.

It’s been a year since they kissed, a year since Chanwoo pulled away from him before telling him they shouldn’t be doing that, a year since they decided to not talk about it and a year since they started to slowly grow apart. They hadn’t contacted each other ever since Chanwoo left and while it ate away at Chanwoo he could never bring himself to make the first move. He found himself opening the messages on his phone simply to stare at the last texts they exchanged.

 

Bin: Your mom said you’re leaving tonight.

Chanwoo: I am.

Bin: I guess this is goodbye then.

Chanwoo: It doesn’t have to be. You can come to the train station.

Bin: I have a job interview sorry.

 

The damage had been done and Chanwoo couldn’t change what happened despite the countless hours of thinking and rethinking what he could have done differently. He didn’t have more time to dwell on it because the alarm he set yesterday to remind him that he should start getting ready for the party the members of the drama club he had started attending to kill some time and some of his co workers planed for him. Chanwoo would have loved to spend the whole day alone in his room ignoring congratulation texts and calls while secretly hoping Bin would send him something, anything.

But life went on and he couldn’t focus on his misery in peace because it was time to put on a fake smile.

It was a good thing he had a lot of practice.

 

Chanwoo was inside a bathroom stall of some club Jinhwan had dragged them to. He stared at the time on his phone.

23:57

He had three minutes till sending a text to Bin would have no possible casual explanation. He needed to decide quickly.

 

˝You should leave early tonight I heard from Jinwoo that it’s your birthday today,˝ Dongmin said from where he was restocking the cups. ˝I won’t tell anybody.˝

˝It’s fine.˝ Bin tried to reassure his coworker, ˝It’s not like I have anywhere else to go.˝

The sound of cups clanking against each other stopped and Bin tore his eyes away from the only customers in the coffee shop (Bin’s neighbor Minhyuk and some tall cute guy who kept making animated gestures as he talked). Dongmin was looking at Bin with concern written all over his face. It made Bin a bit flustered; mostly because Dongmin was without a doubt the most attractive people Bin had ever seen in his life.

˝Do you want to grab a drink with me after work then?˝

The question was asked so easily, almost carelessly but it still made Bin drop the notepad he had been holding. Dongmin Tried to suppress his laugh but his amusement was impossible to miss.

For a second Bin’s thought wondered off to the one person who he tried to forget as much as he could in the last year. He could imagine every tiny detail of Chanwoo’s face perfectly without even trying. But now along with Chanwoo’s face came the heartbreak he felt when Chanwoo looked him in the eyes with one of the looks Bin couldn’t read and said We shouldn’t be doing this.

 Maybe it was time to actually start moving on.

˝Sure.˝


{A/N:}

This might be a crappy chapter but I’m just glad that I managed to finally post a chapter of one of my stories. Also I hope everybody appreciates the ‘subtle’ socky (my astro otp) I slipped into the chapter.