You can trust me

OPERATION: HOUSEWIFE

It takes a lot of effort on my behalf not to beeline straight for Mike and spend the whole night with him, but Pie beats me to it, casually inserting herself into a conversation with Mike and Puey, and Puey’s nameless boyfriend. I’m stuck conversing with Jane, trying my best to seem comfortable and relaxed. 

‘How long until we eat?’ I ask. ‘It smells amazing.’

‘Thank you,’ Jane says, pressing a hand to her cheek. ‘I did my best, just for you. It should be ready soon.’

‘So, you’ve lived here a while?’ 

‘Yes. Puey and I used to be neighbors actually, but he moved in with that boy of his a few months ago. Luckily their house is just a few streets over, so we can still easily catch up. Mike’s been here as long as I have, maybe longer, I’m not sure. I moved here three years ago and I definitely remember him being here, but I’m not sure if he was just moving as well or if he’d already been living here. I was a bit preoccupied with, ah, my partner at the time.’

‘At the time,’ I repeat. ‘So you’re not together anymore?’ 

Jane shakes her head. ‘No. That ended soon after we moved.’

‘I’m sorry.’ 

‘It’s alright. We just weren’t meant to be. Besides,’ she says, biting her lip, ‘now I’m free to pursue who I wish.’ 

‘That’s a good outlook to have,’ I agree. ‘I’m sure you’ll find someone soon.’ 

Jane is about to answer when Pie appears at my elbow. ‘Can I talk to you for a second?’ She asks, looking from me to Jane, then back again. 

‘Yeah, of course.’ I let her lead me into the hallway off the kitchen, and close the door behind us. There aren’t any lights except excess spilling through the glass of the door from the other room. Pie walks deeper into the shadows and stops, leaning against the wall. 

‘Stand close to me,’ she whispers. I move until we’re only centimeters apart. Pie looks up at me. Her eyes are dark and shiny; her cheeks are slightly pink from the heat of the evening. ‘I was just talking to Mike.’

‘Did he say anything good?’ 

‘He did, actually.’ She tilts her head up, until her lips are next to my ear. ‘He said he’s leaving to on a trip.’ I jerk back, staring at her. 

‘But that’s perfect! When’s he leaving?’  

‘Friday.’

‘Did he say where he was going?’

‘No. The other one, you know, Puey?’

‘Yeah.’

‘He interrupted and started talking about how he hasn’t been on holiday in so long and his boyfriend came over –’ 

‘Did Jane ever introduce Puey’s boyfriend?’ I ask. ‘Because if she did, I do notremember his name.’ 

To my surprise, Pie laughs quietly. ‘Neither do I.’ 

I’m about to say something else when there’s a creak behind us. I can hear the door-handle turning. 

‘Pie.’ She’s so close, I can see her eyelashes tangle when she blinks. 

‘Yes?’ 

‘You can trust me,’ I murmur, and then I’m leaning forward and brushing my lips against hers. She stills, I can almost hear the thump-thump of her heart. is smooth and warm; I press against her. Hesitantly she trails a hand up the side of my face, her fingertips slide over my cheekbones. Then someone coughs, and we break apart. Even with the innocence of the kiss, I can feel my face burning. I turn and smile at Jane, who’s standing behind us. 

‘Sorry,’ I say. ‘Got, um, distracted.’ 

Jane nods, looking at the floor. ‘Uh, I just came to tell you dinner was ready.’ 

I twist around to look at Pie. Her eyes are closed, she’s perfectly still. ‘Shall we?’ I ask. She breathes in deeply, and smiles at me. In the shadow of the corridor it’s hard to tell, but it looks slightly strained. She nods though, and takes my hand in her own. We walk back to Jane’s dining room, where everyone is already seated at the table. 

‘You two are over there,’ Jane says, pointing at the two empty spots beside Puey and his (still nameless) boyfriend. I pull out the chair for Pie, and then sit beside her, smiling over at Puey. For a while no one talks around the dinner table, there is only quiet enjoyment of Jane’s food. I could have done a better job. I shake myself a little, hoping those thoughts don’t show on my face, and glance to my left. Pie is sitting, eating slowly, her brow furrowed. I wonder if she’s thinking about the kiss. 

I wonder if she’s angry. 

It doesn’t take long for the conversation to pick up again. Puey, it seems, isn’t one for long silences and he quickly turns to me. 

‘So, Kim. What do you do?’

‘I’m a biologist,’ I say, thinking of my Dad. ‘Looking mostly at plants.’

‘And you, Pie?’

‘I’m also a biologist,’ she says, ‘but I specialize in marine life.’ 

‘What do you do, Puey?’ I ask. Puey leans back in his chair, and grins. 

‘I’m in real estate. That’s actually how I met this one over here,’ he points to his boyfriend. ‘I was selling him a house.’ 

‘Really.’ I glance at Pie, she looks like she’s chewing the corner of , trying not to laugh. 

‘Yep. And what’s funny is he was looking with his boyfriend at the time.’ 

‘Puey,’ Jane says, pouting, ‘did you break them up?’

‘No!’ Puey presses his hand to his chest in mock-outrage. ‘I just helped you with some important decisions, didn’t I?’ His boyfriend winks at him, and Puey smirks. 

‘I know what you mean,’ says Jane. ‘Sometimes people just need a nudge in the right direction.’ She glances sideways down the table and next to me I feel Pie sit up straighter. 

‘So, Mike,’ Pie says, the picture of polite interest. ‘You were saying before about going on a trip?’ 

Mike, seated next to Jane and across from Pie at the table, nods. ‘Yep. Away for two weeks in France.’

‘Mike,’ Jane says, laying her hand on his shoulder, ‘you haven’t asked me to come with you yet. A girl won’t wait forever.’    

I laugh and Mike shakes his head. ‘If I could take anyone with me, it would be you, but I could only manage a ticket for myself.’ 

Jane scowls. ‘Those people at the firm bleed you dry and what do you get in return? Nothing.’

‘Well, I get to live in a house surrounded by charming neighbors.’ 

‘Is your brother coming?’ asks Puey. At this point in time his boyfriend is practically sitting in his lap, but no one seems perturbed by the behavior. There’s an ease between these people that suggests years of friendship. For a wild moment I imagine what it would be like if there were no lies, if Pie and I were really married, having dinner with our neighbors for the first time. Maybe we could join this lazy comradery. Maybe Pie could sit on my lap, I could press my head against her back and listen to her heartbeat as we joke and laugh, easily, honestly. But that world doesn’t exist. Pie and I aren’t married, and one of these people we sit amongst is potentially very dangerous. Mike is grinning, a glass in one hand, his other resting on the table as he talks. 

‘He is coming, actually. Sunday morning. I don’t know how many times I’ve asked him to house-sit now, but he doesn’t mind.’

‘He’s too good to you,’ says Jane, and Mike laughs. 

‘Probably. I think he just likes coming here because he gets to see you, Jane.’

‘Well he should come say hello this time,’ Jane says, crossing her arms over her chest and glaring at Mike. ‘He’s very shy. I’ve only seen him once, he waved at me from across the street and disappeared inside before I could come over to greet him properly.’ 

‘I’ll tell him,’ Mike promises. ‘He isn’t very sociable. We’ve always been different in that respect.’ 

‘How long are you away for this time?’ Jane says. ‘I’m having a big party soon for my birthday, and you have to be there or I’ll run you out of town, I promise.’ 

‘I’ll be back. I’ll even bring you a big souvenir as your birthday present. Anyway, I’m only away for a week. Friday to Friday.’ 

‘Okay!’ Jane claps her hands together. ‘That’s good. My party is the Wednesday after you get back. By the way,’ she gestures at everyone else, ‘I’m inviting you all. Please come, and bring me lots of nice gifts!’ 

Puey and his boyfriend laugh. I smile, wondering if Pie and I will still be here in time for that. The thought is oddly disquieting. 

‘Is everyone finished?’ Jane asks. We all nod. ‘Anyone up for a round of twister?’ 

+

‘Right hand, red circle!’ calls Puey. I heave in a breath, and then reach over Pie to the red circle. My fingertips barely brush the edge. Pie is underneath me, stretched out, again our faces are so close I can see myself reflected in her eyes. For a moment I feel like I don’t need to breath; we stare at each other. Then Pie pushes backwards, falling onto the ground. 

‘I’m out!’ she says. Jane pats her on the shoulder as she crawls away to join the losers, leaving me and Puey’s boyfriend still on the board. 

‘You can do it, honey!’ calls Puey. 

‘Hey, Pie,’ I say, blood and bravery rushing to my head as I tilt it uncomfortably to face her. ‘Where’s my cheer?’ 

‘No way,’ she says, sticking her tongue out at me. ‘I’m not cheering for you. We win together or we lose together.’

‘Unfair!’ 

‘Left foot to yellow,’ says Puey, and his boyfriend grunts as he twists his body around to reach the offending circle. In the corner, Mike is laughing. 

‘You can do it! Go Top!’ 

So that’s his name. I try not to laugh, gritting my teeth. Focus! 

‘Kim! Left hand to blue!’ I raise my head again, looking towards the blue, and shake my head. There’s no way I’m going to reach it. I give it my best shot and end up tumbling to the ground amidst loud applause. Top clambers to his feet, grinning, and Puey jumps up to congratulate him. 

‘Better luck next time!’ says Jane, helping me to my feet. 

‘It was a good game.’ 

‘Kim.’ Pie appears at my shoulder. ‘It’s getting late. We should go.’ 

‘Ah, ok.’ I have to admit, I’m getting pretty tired, but Pie looks almost angry. We quickly bid goodnight to the others. Jane hugs me, saying, 

‘You two should come over for lunch tomorrow! I’m going to have so much leftover food from tonight, I made too much.’ 

‘We will,’ I say, Pie already walking out the door. I follow her, our shoes quiet against the concrete path. 

‘Pie? Are you ok?’ 

‘Yes,’ she says tightly. When we get home Pie doesn’t say another word to me. She runs up the stairs to the shower, and falls asleep before I’ve so much as finished brushing my teeth. I don’t find it nearly as easy to drift off. I lie beside her, the pillow barrier cool against my skin and a breeze whispering in through the open window. As the night ticks slowly on, I think of our kiss, and how when we broke apart Pie leaned forward slightly, as though chasing my lips.