The Bucket List

Shots To The Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As a gift to fans for her eighth year in the entertainment industry and second anniversary as a solo artist, Hirai Momo will be doing a documentary where she has to fulfill her life bucket list which she wrote like this when she was twelve years old:

 

1. Confess my love for someone.

 

[The next things on the list should be done with that special someone.]

 

2. Play chess with dad for the first time.

 

3. Convince mom to visit a dog shelter.

 

4. Eat exotic food in front of the Merlion in Singapore.

 

5. Skydiving.

 

6. Gather all my friends and make all of them dance and sing on the street.

 

7. Tour the city at night while riding a big bike.

 

8. Give toys to kids.

 

9. See the Northern Lights.

 

10. Marry that special someone.

 

-----

 

Character number one - Im Nayeon. She is known as a top producer-director who is a specialist when it comes to documentaries. To add more to her credentials (if this can be considered one), she was a former idol who stopped herself from becoming an even brighter star when she felt that she would be happier and her existence would be more essential in directing and showing the world that life is not all about pleasures and fun. She had not been a bit wrong because aside from being happy and contented with her current work, success has never left her side since. She's even tagged as the hottest PD in all of South Korea which she doesn't really mind but actually takes pride of.

 

Nayeon is currently checking on some edits for Wild K, a four-year show about wildlife in South Korea that unexpectedly became high rated despite its nature of being unusual for South Korean television. While she's at it, her phone rings, she looks at it for a moment and sees the photo of another longtime part of her life. She would ignore it, if the caller was someone else but that's someone who has supported her every decision - Character number two - Hirai Momo.

 

Hirai Momo was known as the Japanese who was given the role to be the main dancer of the most beautiful girl group South Korea has ever shown to the world - TWICE. Now going to their ninth year and still strong as a group with eight members, TWICE has become a legendary group that has produced individuals who have their big names all over Asia. Momo is one of them. After carrying the TWICE main dancer image for six years, she started her career as a charming yet badass y rapstar who wows the audience with every performance she delivers. The people embraced this somehow new form of her and ironically, with that image, they still consider her as a national sweetie. People love her and she loves them more. That's why when Nayeon picks up the phone, she tells her "I need you to do something for me and my fans. Let's meet. And hello. I missed you."

 

Nayeon shakes her head at the kissing sound Momo made after that and puts down her eyeglasses to wear her favorite shades. She leaves her studio and through her BMW, goes to where Momo has texted her location.

 

"Hello, PD Im," Momo says as Nayeon approaches her stall. She's in a coffee shop with books around her. So not Momo, Nayeon tells herself.

 

"Hello, Ms. Hirai. Did you use your power to have this place just for yourself?" Nayeon replies with a question as she sits across Momo after giving her a peck on the cheek.

 

"Correction: for the two of us." Momo tells her as she flips a page of the thing she has in her hands.

 

"You read that like a book when it's not," Nayeon laughs at what Momo is doing.

 

"This is better than any book so..." Momo looks at Nayeon. "What? Just look at the cover photo. Isn't she beautiful?" Momo points at the cover of the magazine.

 

"You're asking me if I'm beautiful?" Nayeon laughs. "Why didn't you order yet?"

 

Momo waves the magazine in the air, practically saying that it's because she's reading it.

 

"How can you not get tired of reading that?" Nayeon questions her with a chuckle as she recalls Momo calling her and screaming with "congratulatory noises" at the middle of the night when she went home from a photoshoot schedule and saw the autographed magazine in her front door.

 

"Who gets tired of being happy for their friend?" Momo says with a smile and quickly stands up, "Best seller?" She asks Nayeon and the older girl nods.

 

As soon as Momo settles in her seat again, Nayeon opens the topic about what Momo said in the phone call.

 

"So, what exactly did you mean earlier?" Nayeon starts, drinking her coffee.

 

"Well, as you know, I'll celebrate my career anniversary next week, and I'll do a concert for that. Besides that, I want to give another gift to my fans which is a documentary about me." Momo explains as she plays with the straw on .

 

"And what exactly do I have to do with this besides cheering you up?" Nayeon says, looking at Momo who is sipping her coffee.

 

"I want you to direct and produce the documentary I was talking about." Momo says and Nayeon almost chokes.

 

"You know I'm full with Wild K." Nayeon says, going back to being calm.

 

"You're the greatest at multitasking. Do it for awhile. Please, Nayeon." Momo says, clasping her hands and begging the older girl.

 

"Okay, so how long is 'for awhile'?" Nayeon says and Momo's eyes sparkle. She hears her say "yes". "Wait, I'm not saying I'm agreeing-"

 

"Thank you, Nayeon," Momo says as she hugs her across the table.

 

"Three months. Everything should be done by that time." Momo says as she goes back to her seat.

 

"Three months? What is the concept you have in mind for this?" Nayeon says and Momo grins.

 

"This is how it will go. I will be completing my life bucket list in three months. There are ten things on my list. All things shall be documented." Momo says as she gets something from her bag.

 

She puts the notebook on the table.

 

"I've kept this one for a long time. I wrote this as a twelve-year-old. The documentary will be based on this." Momo says and Nayeon gets the notebook.

 

"This is pretty interesting but why only three months? How are we gonna air this? Where? When?" Nayeon asks Momo as she smiles while scanning the notebook.

 

"I just need to present this gift as soon as possible. So can we air it as a series like twice a week for ten episodes? Can we get a time slot?" Momo is looking at her expectantly.

 

"When are we starting to shoot and when do you want to air the first episode?" Nayeon puts out her notebook, too.

 

"Can we shoot next week at my concert and air it the week after that?" Momo asks Nayeon who thinks about it.

 

"Mo, we'll already be wasting two weeks for one episode. Which means we might need twenty weeks for this documentary. You were just proposing twelve weeks. Can't we extend it?" Nayeon says and it's time for Momo to think.

 

"We can't, Nayeon." Momo says and Nayeon looks at her. "Say, we shoot for three episodes in the first week? Those first three are easy to do, I guess. Plus it's a documentary, so much editing is not that necessary." Momo props her elbows on the table.

 

After looking at Momo's notebook and thinking, Nayeon looks at Momo, "I guess the time can be settled. About the broadcast schedule, I'll see what I can do." Nayeon says and Momo jumps from her seat. She hugs Nayeon tight, "Thank you."

 

-----

 

Nayeon was the first one to arrive in the coffee shop which she already requested to be closed after giving the manager reasonable amount of money for it. Waiting for Momo for another meeting about her documentary, she studies again the notebook Momo gave her. She can't help but smile and laugh at how innocent her bucket list is. It's a very Momo thing. She can picture Momo creating it while crayons and pens were scattered around her and while she was holding a popsicle in her left hand.

 

"Hey, what's making you that happy?" Momo says while walking to their table.

 

Nayeon points at the notebook while laughing.

 

"Don't judge me. I wasn't the one who made that - my twelve-year-old version did." Momo says, kisses Nayeon on her cheek and sits.

 

"Whatever. I was gonna say it's cute," Nayeon teases Momo who is already sipping on her coffee.

 

"So, we have like only an hour to talk about this," Momo starts.

 

"Sure, superstar," Nayeon says with a grin.

 

"This is for your busy schedule, too, Ms. Hottest PD of the universe," Momo replies, showing her version of a teasing grin.

 

"FYI, I don't have any job now except for this project we're doing." Nayeon says casually, drinking from her cup.

 

"What do you mean?" Momo stops playing with the straw to show that concerned and confused face.

 

"At least try to keep up with the news," Nayeon says so Momo opens a news site on her phone.

 

She looks at Nayeon with unbelieving eyes. Nayeon shrugs.

 

"You're discontinuing Wild K?" Momo says, seriously looking at Nayeon, questioning her decision.

 

"Of course not. I'm still the main producer but I gave the directing rights to the assistant PD. Don't worry, I'll be hands on with it again after three months." Nayeon tells her.

 

"Nayeon, you don't have to do that much for this, okay?" Momo says, reaching for Nayeon's hand on the table.

 

"Don't be dramatic, Mo. Do you want me to be exhausted for doing two major productions?" Nayeon chuckles. "Besides, I want to focus on this one since I can see that you're serious about it," Nayeon puts her other hand on top of Momo's. "So, how about we talk about it already?" Nayeon says, gently getting her hand away from Momo's. Momo nods with a smile.

 

"To not rush things and for you to actually enjoy this, I'm thinking we'll make it into a docufilm," Nayeon pauses to look at Momo, she's listening intently. "We'll air a live teaser next week, on your VLive. The teaser will have you accomplishing the first thing on your bucket list. Your agency knows what you're doing, right? We're not having problems with JYP?" Nayeon explains with questions in the end.

 

Momo looks satisfied with what Nayeon just said.

 

"Nothing to worry about that. A company representative will keep in touch with you about business. Well, anyways, that's good. How come I'm friends with a genius?" Momo teases Nayeon.

 

"Thank you, but shut up, let's focus on work," Nayeon chuckles at her statement. Momo closes the invisible zipper between her lips.

 

"The question is, how will you confess to this certain person?" Nayeon asks and Momo s her lips.

 

"I'll do it on my concert. I'll make sure she'll be there." Momo says dreamingly.

 

"We're talking about Mina, right?" Nayeon says.

 

"Of course, who else?" Momo replies.

 

"Well, in case you have gotten over her and didn't tell me," Nayeon says with a smirk.

 

"Do you think she'll accept my confession?" Momo says, clearly worried.

 

"You have asked me that for I don't know how many times already but you haven't told her even once. Are you sure about this now?" Nayeon says, with evident concern for her friend.

 

"I can't back out this time, Nayeon," Momo says with a determined smile.

 

Nayeon stands from her seat to tap Momo's head. It's her way of saying she's proud of Momo for finally becoming truly brave of her feelings for Mina that she has kept inside her for eight years.

 

-----

 

Mina slowly walks in the aisle, her white dress is shining, blinding all the people around her with her ethereal beauty. Tears are flowing from her eyes to her cheeks, while she's looking at the man wearing a tuxedo at the end of the path. He's looking at her, smiling, thinking that he's the luckiest man in the world. When Mina reaches the end and is about to give her hand to the man who's smiling and waiting for it, she hears a shout from her back.

 

"Stop right there!" There's a woman, she's panting.

 

The people are waiting for her next move. But she doesn't do anything. Mina hears another shout.

 

"Cut! Cut! Why did you stop? Move and slap Mina!"

 

"Sorry, director." The woman says, bowing her head.

 

"Let's do it again. Mina, it was perfect, just do it again like that." The director says and Mina nods.

 

Character Number 3 - Myoui Mina. After five years of being the black swan, she started taking casting offers, mostly in Japan, for the silver screen. She's been in the said country, her homeland, for a year, taking break from group activities and pursuing solo activities. Among other stuff like endorsements and magazine shoots, she had done a movie and is about to finish another one.

 

After pleasing the staff, co-actors and herself, she hops on her car where her manager is waiting. As the car starts and as she closes her eyes, her phone buzzes. She sighs and opens her eyes again, getting her phone from the bag.

 

From: Satang

You haven't forgotten about Momo's concert next week, right?

 

Then, it hits her. She has to go back to South Korea. She has to face Momo again after a year. They will talk face to face again. The thought has been playing with her little anxiety. She has been alright, at least that's what she made herself believe. She thought she will never be reminded of that night again, when she kissed Momo while the girl was sleeping. When she stared at her face. When she observed how peacefully she breathed. When she slowly and carefully caressed her cheek. When her eyes landed at her delicately thin lips. When the pad of her right thumb met Momo's bottom lip, and then the upper one. Then, finally, when her mind went blank and her heartbeat became faster, when she graced Momo's lips with her own. That was a year ago but it turns out, it still haunts her. Since then, she has been questioning herself. Why did I do that? Am I gay? Am I biual? Was I losing my mind? Am I losing my mind? She had not consciously thought about this, "Was I attracted to her?" But deep down, it scared her. So she ran away. She kept herself full with work. At times, the two of them would talk on social media or on the phone, like the super friends they are, like members of TWICE. But looking at Momo's face again? Seeing those lips again? That is quite challenging. Fortunately (or not), Mina decides to dwell on the challenge.

 

To: Satang

Of course, I haven't. I'll be there on the exact day. I still have to finish shooting the last pieces of the film.

 

From: Satang

Then, I guess we can't go together. I'll be heading the day before the concert.

 

Mina laughs. Her manager looks at her. She stops.

 

To: Satang

What will be the difference?

 

From: Satang

There will be one day difference.

 

To: Satang

Alright okay. Whatever you say.

 

From: Satang

We'll be hanging out. A lot can happen in a day, you know.

 

To: Satang

I know. But I also know that she'll be busy that whole week so be prepared to stroll around Seoul alone for a whole day. Enjoy.

 

From: Satang

Bright. I missed that fact. But I'll still go the day before the concert.

 

To: Satang

Have fun.

 

To: Satang

With Dahyun.

 

Mina smirks and closes her eyes. She leans her head on the seat. Her phone stays in her hand, too tired to slide it back to her bag. She feels a buzz from it before she finally dozes off.

 

-----

 

Momo sits on the edge of the stage. She looks at the empty seats in front of her. She looks around the concert hall. It's filled with lights, different colors of them but it also looks dark, it feels dark. She briefly closes her eyes to be immediately awakened by stomping sounds from the stage. She looks at the back from where the sounds are coming. Though it is dim, she sees the smile across Nayeon's face. The woman sits beside her after a kiss on the cheek.

 

"It's been a long time," Nayeon says as she looks in front, at where Momo was staring, at the empty seats.

 

"Yeah," Momo says as she stares at Nayeon's side profile for a good while before she sets her eyes on the empty seats again.

 

"You could've chosen the place of your first solo concert," Nayeon says.

 

"Do you remember when we had our first concert here?" Momo says, Nayeon hears her smile.

 

"Yeah. Our fans sang 'One in a Million' for us. Everyone was crying," Nayeon laughs at the memory.

 

"You were crying the most," Momo laughs, too as she bumps shoulders with Nayeon.

 

Nayeon doesn't give a reverse blow. She only smiles to herself.

 

"So, later, we won't have any problem with Mina, right?" Nayeon says and Momo looks at her. "You know, I always make sure I present close to perfect productions." She explains with a shrug.

 

"I called her last night," She starts, Nayeon is all ears. "I made sure I passed it clear enough to her that I need her presence tomorrow."

 

"And?"

 

"She said she'll go," Momo said with a smile. "I just need to do my part."

 

Momo rubs her palms to each other and shakes them in the air.

 

"Hey, don't be too nervous. You'll do well," Nayeon says as she looks at Momo.

 

"I'm warming up," Momo says and stands. She moves her head to the left and to the right. Then she stretches her arms to her toes.

 

Nayeon looks up to her.

 

"Mina will accept you," She squats as Momo stops what she's doing and looks at her. "She'll be charmed with all the stages you've prepared for tonight and she can't resist falling in love with you... if she hasn't already," Nayeon stands in front of Momo. "So, cheer up, baby. Cheer up, baby," Nayeon sings as she taps both of Momo's cheeks.

 

Momo smiles at the gesture.

 

"You know what else I missed besides this hall?" Momo asks.

 

"What?"

 

"You singing that."

 

The two of them laugh as Nayeon smacks Momo's shoulder.

 

"I think I need to be cheered up more. Let's dance to it." Momo says as she laughs. She starts doing the choreography while singing, urging Nayeon to join her.

 

"Come on," Momo says, smiling.

 

Nayeon shakes her head in disbelief but joins Momo after saying, "I'll never do this again," as she laughs hysterically.

 

They both laugh hysterically.

 

Momo is happy and she is about to make the coming night as one of the happiest nights of her life. She called Mina yesterday to make sure she will come, to make sure she can finally hear what her heart has always been silently saying. Mina assured her that she will. Nothing can go wrong, she believes.

 

-----

 

"What? You're still in Japan?" Mina hears Sana's loud voice from her phone.

 

"Yeah," Mina says as she yawns while looking at the script in her hand.

 

"What are you still doing there?" Sana is clearly frustrated. Mina can hear it.

 

"I thought I could finish my shoot early." Mina says with an evident crack in her voice.

 

She hears Sana's sigh on the other line.

 

"It's alright. We're talking about Momo. She will surely understand if you can't make it." Sana assures the younger Japanese.

 

"Yeah. I hope so. Enjoy the concert." Mina says, sounding defeated.

 

"Yes. We will." Sana says.

 

"You're with Dahyun? Send my regards to her and tell the Tofu I miss her." Mina says and after Sana answers with a "Take care. Don't overwork yourself," in the end, she ends the call.

 

Mina closes her eyes and as she leans her head on the headrest of the chair, a teardrop happens. She's tired and she doesn't know how can she escape from this to be in Momo's concert. She's exhausted and she doesn't know if she even wants to be in Momo's concert.

 

-

 

As the last performance for the night ends, Momo hears the overwhelming crowd. They are all there, clapping for her, cheering for her, the loudest she has ever experienced. She sees her family in front. JYP is also there. Her labelmates are there. A few friends she made from the industry are there. Everyone looks happy. She looks at her members and counts them again. There are six of them. All of them are crying. She spots the seventh behind one of the cameras. She looks up and sighs. The crowd hears her and they erupt again, "Momo-chan! Momo-chan! We love you, Momo-chan!" Then all of Momo's defenses that she built for this big night collapse. She cries. She cries so hard.

 

"Everyone! You are beautiful!" She starts her ending speech with this. "My fans. Our fans, our ONCEs. My loving family. Park Jinyoung PD-nim. My friends. You are all here." Momo tries to wipe the tears away with the back of her hand.

 

"Don't forget us!" She hears Jeongyeon, actually just reads what her lips say.

 

"Jeongyeon, calm down. I am not forgetting you, guys," Momo says and temporary breaks the emotional atmosphere. Everybody also laughs for that moment. "My members are here. Sana, you're still a squirrel, smiling though I was dancing ily," She laughs with everyone. "Chaeng, oh buddy! You've grown taller. Like, let me guess,” she measures Chaeng from below using her thumb and her pointing finger, estimating a gap between them, "a centimeter?" She says and everyone laughs again. Chaeyoung pouts and Momo mimicks her. "Dahyun!" She points at the girl beside Sana. "So, you're holding that squirrel's hand?" She points out and the big screen shows the two. Momo chuckles as she sees Sana's red face and Dahyun looking shy. "I'm jealous." Momo jokes, pouting. The atmosphere becomes light. Momo likes this. Everybody is smiling and laughing with her. "Our leader, Ms. Jihyo. We gave you such a hard time for a long time. Are you enjoying the break from the crazy kids?" Momo says and Jihyo shouts "Yes!" as she laughs. "Tzuyu, you're still as pretty as ever. I know you're tired from your trip from Taiwan. Why are you smiling?" Laughter can be heard again at the random punch line. "PD Im!" Momo suddenly shouts, looking to one of the aisles. "South Korea's hottest PD! Don't hide!" She says. People are confused. They try to look at where Momo is looking. The TWICE girls are all attention, too. Nayeon finally makes herself visible. She mouths, "I'm busy," to Momo. She glares at her. Momo laughs. She looks at her members. They seem confused but they look genuinely happy, even happier as they see Nayeon.

 

"You might be wondering why PD Im is there, hiding behind a camera when she should be watching me while sitting prettily," Momo says and Nayeon can't help but shake her head in amusement. "She is here because we are making a documentary as a gift I want to give all of you for the support you've given me over the past years," The crowd goes wild again. "And this night is a sneak peak for it. I will fulfill my life bucket list and tonight, I am doing the first one." Everyone gasps in anticipation. Nayeon looks at Momo worriedly. This is the point where Momo should be starting her plan (which Nayeon doesn't know what exactly because Momo didn't tell her and she didn't ask her for she thinks Momo wants to keep it to herself). The surprise VLive starts at this point, too.

 

Momo looks up and sighs again. Then she looks at everyone again.

 

"All of the lovely people in my life are here. Everyone, I know, you are happy. I am happy, too. I am extremely happy. But tonight, I am supposed to make myself be happier than ever. I am supposed to start a new journey of my life, hopefully... with the loveliest person I met." There are claps, screams, cries, cheers of encouragement. "I am supposed to go down in the first row and get her." Momo keeps herself from shaking because of her tears, she continues to smile as she resumes her narration. "I planned to bring her on this stage and just tell her how long I have waited to finally have the courage to tell her how I truly feel for her. I planned to tell her that even though it has been more than eight years, this, what I have inside..." she points to her chest, "has never faded. It only grew stronger. It has always, every day. And tonight, it is beating the strongest, for tonight, I planned to ask her, will you take my hand and be the biggest part of this new journey I'll walk through?" There goes the crowd again. They are at their loudest. Momo clears before she continues. "But unfortunately, she's not here today. If this moment happened before, I would have just dropped from this but now, I can't back out." Momo gets her phone from her pocket. She dials a number.

 

"Hello, Mitang." Once again, the crowd erupts. Momo is already shaking from her tears.

 

"Are you alright?" Momo says the question to the other line. She puts her phone on speakers and puts it near her microphone. Mina hums and Momo doesn't know why but she's sure Mina is crying, too.

 

"You didn't come." Momo says, her voice cracks at the acknowledgment of frustration.

 

It becomes quiet on the other line.

 

Nayeon is focusing on recording Momo, even though she is also crying from the scene. Someone passes by her from the back. The camera captures the back of the person who has her phone near her right ear.

 

"I came," the person says. Nayeon hears the same words from Momo's phone.

 

Everyone screams, pointing at the stage's screen. Momo looks at her back and sees someone's back view showing in the screen. She cries harder, she knows it. She knows it is Mina.

 

"I came because even though it wasn't part of my plans, I want to take your hand and tell you I want to be the biggest part of this new journey you'll walk through," Momo hears from the phone and she is not dreaming because after saying it, from the screen, she sees Mina running until she reaches the stage. Momo keeps on staring at the screen, trying to take in what is happening. Then she feels arms wrapped around her waste from the back. She covers her eyes from the shock.

 

"You came," Momo says.

 

"I came," Mina whispers in her ear as she removes Momo's hands from her face. She intertwines Momo's fingers to her own.

 

Then Momo can't hear the loud crowd anymore. Her mind only registers what Mina just said.

 

She makes the first thing on her bucket list happen and she's holding Mina's hands. It's perfect.

 

-----

 

Just minutes after Mina fell asleep, Momo hears her phone ring from the nightstand.

 

It's Nayeon on the caller ID.

 

"Wooh. So, how's the brand new girl?" She hears her say.

 

"Super happy. Thank you, Nayeon," Momo says through the phone.

 

"You were wonderful, as always. But Mina was awesome earlier," Nayeon says with tone of amusement.

 

"She is awesome," Momo stares lovingly at Mina who is peacefully sleeping beside her.

 

"Gosh. You're so whipped," Nayeon says as she chuckles.

 

"I guess," Momo smiles at her statement.

 

"So when will you meet your father for your chess game?" Nayeon tells Momo casually.

 

"Well, the family travelled back to Japan after the concert. I didn't tell them for surprise purposes but I'll go to Japan with Mina tomorrow." Momo explains, not taking off her eyes from Mina.

 

"So you'll do it tomorrow?" Momo hears a yawn from Nayeon.

 

"Go to sleep, PD Im. Don't think too much about work," Momo says as she chuckles.

 

"Hey, I called to hear my friend's stories of happiness," Nayeon points out.

 

Momo chuckles, "Alright, PD Im. Whatever you say," Momo pauses. "Going back, I guess we'll not do it tomorrow. Mina still has to finish something from work."

 

"Oh? Won't her work go in the way of your activities?" Nayeon asks curiously.

 

"Nope. She said she was supposed to shoot the last scene for her movie tonight," Momo smiles again, remembering how shy Mina was when she explained the situation to her.

 

"You mean she rushed to your concert and left her work?" Nayeon sounds even more amused this time.

 

"Apparently." Momo doesn't only look or smile at the girl beside her, she can't help but peck gently in her forehead.

 

"Wow. I didn't know she's that whipped for you, too. You're big time, Hirai," Nayeon teases her.

 

"Stop it with the teasing. Just sleep tight tonight and I'll tell you when I need you- wait, don't you want to come with us to Japan tomorrow? Since I'll be needing you the next day." Momo says and despite of the seriousness of the conversation with Nayeon, she caresses Mina's cheek.

 

"Nah, I'll go with my team the day after tomorrow. I'll review the clips from earlier tomorrow and relax for a bit," Nayeon explains.

 

"Woah, PD-nim. You're so hardworking," Momo chuckles and since Nayeon only chuckles, too, she says her goodbye and goodnight to which Nayeon replies the same words with "Take care tomorrow." Then the call ends.

 

During the whole call time with Nayeon, Momo has never let go of her stare at Mina. She realizes this so she shakes her head with another smile. Finally, she rolls, lies on her back and stares at the ceiling.

 

She says a prayer in her mind and closes her eyes.

 

"Ah. I'm really whipped," she whispers and faces Mina again.

 

She stares at her until she falls asleep.

 

-----

 

"You're really cool, actress Myoui," Momo says as Mina sits beside her after the final scene she had to shoot.

 

"I'm your girlfriend now, no need to sweet talk on me," Mina says as she pinches Momo's nose.

 

"I'm just saying the truth and I never sweet talked on you," Momo says and pouts.

 

Mina holds her chin, "Which is why I am thinking, did I give up my yes easily last night?" Mina teases.

 

"You can't take back your answer," Momo shows her tongue to Mina to which Mina laughs.

 

"Don't worry, I don't want to," Mina says as a reverse blow. She copies what Momo did with her tongue. Momo also laughs at it.

 

"I didn't know you like me like that, too," Momo says, smiling, actually teasing, too.

 

"I didn't know you had feelings for me for almost a decade," Mina says back.

 

"Well..." Momo is unable to say anything.

 

Mina finds this adorable so she hugs her embarrassed girlfriend.

 

"Hello. Hirai Momo, right?"

 

The two breaks the hug when the director suddenly approaches them.

 

"Ah, yes. I'm honored to meet you," Momo says as she stands and offers her hand to him.

 

He takes it warmly.

 

"I heard of the news. I also saw the video. You and Mina look so good. Congratulations," He says and lets go of the handshake.

 

"Thank you," Momo smiles warmly at the director.

 

"You know, Mina here is a really responsible and good actress so when she left yesterday without saying a thing, I wondered why. Turns out, she had to run for love," the director says with a smile. Momo looks at Mina who is currently blushing. "She would have taken words from me if you're not someone this beautiful," he continues and finally walks back to his team.

 

"You did that?" Momo asks Mina with unbelieving eyes.

 

"I had to," Mina answers despite feeling shy.

 

"So yesterday, you escaped from here and went back to South Korea?" Momo is still not believing this.

 

Mina only nods.

 

"Tell me details," Momo says, she's excited and is overwhelmed.

 

"I really don't know how I did that. But as soon as I realized I need to be in South Korea, I left my spot right here. I heard the staffs calling my name when I was running for my car. I... actually shoved my manager out of my car when I got inside. Really, you don't need to know. It was crazy," Mina chuckles at the recent memory.

 

"You did that." Momo says, now a statement.

 

"Yeah. It was worth it," Mina says as she smiles. Momo smiles, too. She gets Mina's hand and starts rubbing her thumb to her palm.

 

"So did you already say sorry to your manager?" Momo says, looking at their hands.

 

"I did, earlier. I gave him the signed album I asked you to give me this morning as compensation," Mina reveals and chuckles.

 

"Well, I'm glad I'm a useful girlfriend," Momo says confidently. Mina leans her head on her shoulder for a moment until she says she'll just talk to the people on the set and they'll go.

 

While Mina is driving, she asks Momo for details about their activities.

 

"So, what exactly are we gonna do?" Mina says, glances at Momo for a second and staying focused on the road again.

 

"We'll do nine activities. I'm not revealing anything yet but we'll do the first one tomorrow." Momo says, enjoying her beautiful driver's side profile.

 

"Things on your bucket list, right?"

 

"Yup. I made that list when I was twelve years old," Momo explains. She always makes sure to emphasize that fact.

 

"Should I prepare myself for childish, crazy, cheesy things?" Mina giggles.

 

"Did you just call the twelve-year-old version of your girlfriend childish, crazy and cheesy?" Momo whines.

 

"I was referring to my 27-year-old girlfriend," Mina says, smiling.

 

Momo pouts.

 

"Don't pout," Mina says.

 

Momo obeys and decides to close her eyes. She would like to stare at her girlfriend the whole ride but honestly, she's kind of still tired from the events of last night.

 

Mina sees Momo so she stops the car for a moment to recline Momo's seat, for her to be more comfortable. She stares at the girl and when she realizes that her face is inching closer to Momo's, she stops.

 

"But I can kiss her now that I'm her girlfriend, right?"

 

"But what if she wakes up and I scare her? Or whatever? That's embarrassing."

 

"Let's do it next time."

 

Mina decides to follow the third statement that popped in her head.

 

"Next time then," she whispers and drives again.

 

-----

 

Momo and Mina are set to accomplish Momo's bucket list number two on their second day together in Japan. With Nayeon trailing on their back, holding her favorite material, Momo presses the doorbell on the Hirais' residence. The gate opens and reveals Momo's mom who looks surprised to see her daughter and even more when she realizes Mina is beside her. Momo kisses her mother on the cheek. Mina does the same.

 

"It's been a while, Mina," Mrs. Hirai says.

 

"I'm glad I get to see you again, ma'am." Mina smiles sweetly to the woman.

 

"And I'm glad Momo brings you here now as her girlfriend," Mrs. Hirai says and despite her blushing face, Mina looks at Momo. Momo only shrugs.

 

"Oh, Nayeon, is that you?" Mrs. Hirai acknowledges Nayeon's presence.

 

Nayeon slightly bows and tries to explain with her facial expression that she can't talk because she's filming their scene, also trying to tell Mrs. Hirai to never mind her.

 

Mrs. Hirai giggles at the girl's antics and motions the three girls to their house.

 

As the girlfriends and Mrs. Hirai sit on the couch, Mrs. Hirai starts the conversation.

 

"I'm really glad that you're here but why are you here?" Mrs. Hirai questions.

 

"Mom, that really sounds like you're glad that I'm here," Momo says with a pout.

 

"Really. Seriously. But we met yesterday- oh, right. You want to introduce Mina to us as your girlfriend?" Mrs. Hirai grins cheekily.

 

"Mom! We- okay, well..."

 

Nayeon keeps her professional self though she looks like she's about to crack up.

 

"Well, that's one thing," Momo looks at Mina sweetly. Mina reciprocates the action. "But Mina and I, we'd like to play chess with Dad."

 

"I understand Mina can play chess well but you, playing chess? Daughter, you hate it." Momo's mom laughs when memories of how Momo always refused to play chess start to run on her mind.

 

Mina laughs. Nayeon, on the other hand, finally understands why such a simple thing is on Momo's bucket list. She's such a sweet girl, who wants to at least make her father smile.

 

"Mom, it's a one time thing. Plus it's on my bucket list so I'm doing it," Momo scratches her nape. Mina finds this gesture adorable.

 

"And you travelled here from South Korea to play chess with your dad? Is it Father's Day today?" Mrs. Hirai hits again.

 

"Just think of it that way, mom," Momo says, smiling from how her playful mother has never changed in years.

 

"Your father will be happy," Mrs. Hirai says, now back to being serious.

 

"I know. That's why I'm doing this," Momo says.

 

Mina can't help but smile. It's just their first day as a couple but Momo makes her feel like she's the luckiest woman ever for having her.

 

Nayeon joins Mina and Momo in the couch without her camera as Mrs. Hirai leaves the living room and goes to the kitchen. She has explained that she would call Mr. Hirai to go home early from work to meet them. She also said she would cook nice meal for them first. Mina insisted in helping her but she told her to just relax and enjoy the time in the house with Momo, so Mina smiled and bowed.

 

The three ladies catch up together, mostly Mina and Nayeon, since the two didn't get the chance to talk much after Momo's concert and the time earlier before they went to the Hirais' home seemed short. They talk about each other's careers and give each other congratulatory phrases for their success. Also, they praise each other warmly. Momo also hears Mina telling Nayeon that she missed her. Nayeon tells the same. Momo remembers the time when these two girls were roommates in their dorm, sharing girlish quirks and rolling over each other's beds.

 

"Why are you smiling?" Nayeon catches her.

 

"Nothing. Continue chatting," Momo says as she shakes her head.

 

"You're not jealous that I'm talking to Mina?" Nayeon says with a smirk.

 

"Of course not. What are you saying." Momo chuckles at her statement and Nayeon's.

 

"I thought you're a possessive girlfriend." Nayeon grins.

 

"Well..." Momo pauses, "I might be a possessive girlfriend but you're just talking and you're both smiling which actually makes me kind of happy, too. I see no harm in seeing two girls wearing beautiful smiles." She finishes with a shrug.

 

Nayeon faces Mina and holds her shoulders.

 

"Mina, you've got yourself a super cheesy girlfriend. You sure you were in the right mind when you gave your answer to her?" Nayeon says with a straight face.

 

"PD Im, I can hear you brainwashing my girl." Momo says like a warning but she's still smiling.

 

"Just kidding," Nayeon says as she giggles and lets go of Mina, facing Momo. "But are you really sure about this?" Nayeon glances at Mina.

 

"Don't worry. I don't let myself be dragged into something I don't want," Mina says with a smile.

 

Nayeon smiles back at Mina then looks at Momo again. She mouths "Whipped," to her and Momo shakes her head.

 

"Why are you shaking your head and smiling like that?" Mina asks Momo.

 

"Me?" Momo glares at Nayeon. "I just can't believe I've got myself a beautiful girlfriend," Momo says.

 

Nayeon salutes secretly while Mina also shakes her head in disbelief.

 

-----

 

After the lunch at the Hirais, Momo ushers her dad to the chess set in their backyard that Nayeon's staffs arranged. Mina trails behind them while Nayeon is already preparing in the set. As soon as her dad sees it, he looks at Momo, he says, "What's this?" To which Momo answers, "Let's play, dad." Mr. Hirai laughs, "Finally. Kid, you're growing up." Then he smiles as he messes Momo's hair.

 

Momo and Mr. Hirai sit on opposite sides of the table while Mina sits beside Momo.

 

"Shall we start your first and probably last chess game because you'll surrender at how good I am?" Mr. Hirai confidently says with a grin on his face.

 

"Let's see how good you are, chess master but please go easy on this first timer," Momo also teases her father.

 

"I won't," Mr. Hirai counters.

 

Then the game starts with Momo moving a pawn. Mr. Hirai takes a move. He smiles. With that, Mina confirms that Momo's dad doesn't just take chess as a pastime but a sport. Momo and Mr. Hirai takes two moves each. Then Momo moves again. Mina's eyes go wide because Momo's dad is going to finish her with just the fourth move. But she blinks when Mr. Hirai smiles warmly and leaves his competitive demeanor. He doesn't take the opportunity to finish Momo easily. He makes an unexpected move. As the game progresses, Momo and Mr. Hirai starts talking casually.

 

"So, when is the wedding?" Mr. Hirai says, thinking then moving a Knight.

 

"Whose wedding?" Momo says as she massages the sides of her head.

 

"You and Mina," Mr. Hirai directs her warm smile at Mina.

 

"Dad! That's too soon," Momo says, kind of forgetting the chess match.

 

"Why? Mina, you don't want to marry my daughter?" Mr. Hirai says, leaving Mina speechless.

 

"Just kidding. You don't have to answer," Mr. Hirai follows then he announces 'check'.

 

Momo groans and creases her forehead. Then she makes a move.

 

Mr. Hirai counters and finally confirms 'checkmate'.

 

Momo shakes her head slowly while she smiles. Mr. Hirai mimics the move, teasing.

 

After some more teasing, Mina exchanges position with Momo.

 

"Oh. So this is how you actually introduce your future wife to your dad?" Mr. Hirai teases Momo again.

 

"Dad! I'm really embarrassed now," Momo says.

 

"Aw, my little girl," Mr. Hirai says as he looks sweetly at his daughter.

 

"Dad, I'm twenty seven," Momo affirms.

 

"Really? I thought you're twelve having your puppy love," Mr. Hirai points at Momo's hand holding Mina's. "Really, are you that supportive of Mina?"

 

"Just start the game, dad." Momo laughs. She doesn't get her hand away from Mina's despite her dad's remarks and despite of the game already starting.

 

Mina takes the first move. Her first three moves are similar to Momo's. Mr. Hirai notices this. He smiles at this. Actually, he kind of smirks. He still does what he did during the game with Momo.

 

"This should have been Momo's last move earlier," Mina says as she moves a piece. Momo looks confused and puts the pieces of familiar moves in her head.

 

Mr. Hirai smiles again. Mina got him.

 

"You're one genius lady," he looks at Mina as he lifts one piece. "And this should have been my last move earlier," Mr. Hirai announces 'checkmate'.

 

Momo looks amazed at the intellectual conversation happening before her eyes.

 

"Why did you do that, sir?" Mina asks as she puts another hand on top of Momo's.

 

"Because that is the first time my daughter played chess with me. If you're enjoying a moment, you wouldn't want to kill it. Am I right?" Mr. Hirai says as he sincerely looks at Mina and then to Momo.

 

Mina nods. Her heart is swelling, thinking that the reason to why Momo has so much love and affection to give is because she's receiving as much from her family. She feels Momo squeeze her hand. She looks at her face. For some reason, she sees Momo smiling kind of sadly.

 

Momo is actually unable to hold her tears. She looks down and her father reaches his right arm to tap her head lightly.

 

She makes the second thing on her bucket list happen and she's holding Mina's hands and her dad is tapping her head like how he used to. It's perfect.

 

-----

 

"I may be half joking about Mina being my future daughter-in-law. But even for a short time, I already acknowledge how my daughter loves Mina so much. The way she looks at that beautiful girl, it's how I look at my wife. If I'll also talk about how she holds her hands, I might really talk about their marriage here. So if Momo watches this, she's gonna come to Japan again and rant at me of how embarrassed she is..."

 

-----

 

"Ah. That? I hated playing chess when I was still young because dad was so into it back then. He wanted to push me into being his prodigy. I guess I knew that even as a child. Plus all I did was play, eat and dance and so if something gets the way of me doing those things, I get grumpy and throw tantrums. But maybe in between those times, I still loved dad and felt bad for him so I wrote playing chess with him as part of my bucket list. Or maybe deep down I really wanted to try playing chess..."

 

-----

 

Momo, Mina and Mrs. Hirai are looking at the sign in the arc of the gate.

 

"Seriously? Is this a field trip?" Mrs. Hirai asks as she looks at Momo.

 

"Mom, are dog shelters place for field trips?" Momo says as she chuckles. Mina giggles beside her.

 

"I feel like a kid forced by her energetic and ever so positive mom to join in the school field trip for her to gain more friends. But in this case, I'm the mom and you're my kid," Mrs. Hirai says, showing displeasure of the situation.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter