The Ball Pt. 2

Club 17 (HIATUS)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There were many things that I've observed about high society social events but to summarise them in a simple way, it was like a gathering of competing smile champions and reading off compliment phrasebooks. Granted their wide range of vocabulary, the types of praises they would sing for Seungcheol and Sarah's families were so vast they could compile into an essay. It dawned on me that Sarah's social interactive abilities and Seungcheol's sharp minds might have been products of such an environment, where a front was as important as the ability to discern sincerity from ulterior motives. 

 

Jihoon and Hyeyoung were spared such formalities except with Seungcheol's father, the key person of this charity event. Save for the few routine greetings and appreciation for young talents, the couple was spared of further socialising. Seungcheol had sensed my unease under the scrutiny of his father's business partners ("Boots, how fashionable! Your partner has excellent taste!" "Are they a Miu Miu or Jimmy Choo?"), so he led me to the head table to settle down beside Vernon. He had already finished his extremely brief round of chatter. 

 

"Boring, isn't it?" He mused when I settled in the chair. I contemplated if I should be honest with him, since he was technically a part of the two organising families. I settled for an honest answer with a simple nod. Like Sarah, Vernon was clearly a child of mixed descent. Sarah took after their father, who was Korean, while Vernon seemed to resemble their American mother more. He's recently dyed his hair blonde, and it made him look more foreign than ever. 

 

"Anything tips for sitting with the parents? I did not expect this," I nudged the older boy. He chuckled, and then took a moment to brood over the answer. 

 

"My parents are quite easygoing, being artists and mainly running galleries. What you definitely want to avoid is talking about art, unless you want an endless lecture from the Renaissance all the way through post-structuralism," he saw the fear in my eyes and continued, "they seem to be interested in knowing more about Sarah's school activities, but she's determined to keep the mischief out of their supervision. Start cooking up with a version of Club 17 and make it sound like a book club as much as possible. As for Seungcheol's parents, less is more. His father is brilliant in running a business, and that's probably where Seungcheol got his brains. If you thought Seungcheol was unreadable, I assure you his dad is even more mysterious behind that smile. No point second-guessing. Just be the nice schoolmate and you'll be fine." 

 

That certainly sounded like a lot to juggle for one dinner. 

 

And might I add that the menu had a list of French cuisines that I did not understand without the English subtexts explaining their ingredients. 

 

Me: *Attached photo of outfit*

Kwon-idiot-young: Wow the boots actually do go with the dress. Good job Seungcheol. 

Me: Unfortunately I'm also at the head table with the families. 

Kwon-idiot-young: YOU'RE SEATED WITH THE CHOI CONGLOMERATE FAMILY AND CHWE ART FOUNDATION HEADS BE HONOURED.

Me: Must you rub it in?

Kwon-idiot-young: Alright sorry. Just relax. Talk to Sarah or Seungcheol. They'll know what to do.

Me: Vernon gave me advice.

Kwon-idiot-young: Oh he's there? Say hi for me. 

Me: The point IS this is nerve-wrecking enough as it is

Kwon-idiot-young: I don't see why you have to be. You're not there to strike a good impression necessarily. It's a charity event, you're there to support Jihoon and Hyeyoung. Think in that way. 

Kwon-idiot-young: When adults ask for stories in social events from kids, they aren't REALLY wanting a story. They just need to know everything is going well for their own child. Just remember it's not about you, focus on the event and you'll be fine. 

Me: You sure?

Kwon-idiot-young: Yes. Just answer where necessary. Smile when they look at you. Seungcheol is there, trust him. 

 

And so I took Soonyoung and Vernon's advice to heart. I concentrated on Jihoon's opening performance and emcee's explanation of his piece. If I was nervous, Jihoon looked like he was basically a bunch of nerves. Had Hyeyoung not been there to be his accompaniment, I suspect he might have opted to give up the performance opportunity to perform before two of the most prestigious families in Korea. Sarah's family, especially, would be one he needed to impress. Their arts foundation gave out scholarships to students like himself. 

 

If I was worr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter