Family

First spark
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

If she had her way, she would chain herself to her boyfriend so they could spend every single minute together, but duty calls; he had to film Guerilla Date, so she decided to catch up with her family instead. Not that family wasn't important, but considering their circumstances - they were running on borrowed time - she just wanted to make sure they create as many memories as possible, before his enlistment.


Seated around the table with her family at their favourite Chinese restaurant, she glanced at her phone, frowning slightly when she realised there were no new messages. This didn't go unnoticed by her omma, who prompted, "Hyunnie, are you expecting a call?"

 

"No, I'm just checking out the news." She shook her head, embarrassed that she had been called out by her mother. She shoved her phone into her bag so she wasn't tempted to look at it every few seconds.


"Mhmm." Omma didn't look convinced, but she didn't press the matter.

 

"So glad to have a meal with our Hyunnie again, after so long!" Her appa declared jovially, clapping her on her shoulder. Staring at his expectant face, she suddenly felt a twinge of guilt as she thought about how she had considered ditching her family to spend time with her boyfriend. She's going to have to learn to balance her different priorities because her family deserved better from her. Starting from now, she decided determinedly. She beamed at her father, reaching over to gently pat his weathered hands.


"What do you think of my performance?" She asked, always eager for feedback on her acting.


"Good!" Appa nodded enthusiastically, pushing up his glasses, which had shifted out of place due to his exuberant nodding. Her appa was her ardent supporter. He was the one who signed her up for her very first TV game show when she was seven, and was always unashamedly boasting about her "achievements" to their relatives. Growing up, his indiscriminate praises embarrassed her, but now she just found his unconditional support endearing.


Her mother and sister gave murmurs of assent. "The kiss scenes looked pretty real, " Omma said pointedly, a glint in her eyes. "You've pretty good chemistry with your costar." That earned her a frown from her appa.


Laughing lightly, she brushed off the comment with some standard PR line about how the scenes were executed professionally. She make sure to avoid her omma's eyes, knowing she was definitely on to her.


"Where were you for the past two nights?" Apparently her mother wasn't done with the inquisition. Meanwhile the frown on her Appa's face deepened.


"Oh right, you came back late last night in a really nice dress, and you were skipping around, smiling to yourself like you were deranged," her Unnie quipped. Then she narrowed her eyes assessingly. "Wait, did you even come home the night before?" Right, not awkward at all. She stole another glance at her appa, who see

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter