one.

Oblivion
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

When the moonlight rose up and the clock suddenly struck 12 a.m., Doyeon’s eyes suddenly widened up as she arose from her bed. She slowly examined the room from her bed point of view. To her right, she was able to clearly see a young man sleeping on the chair beside her bed. He sure indeed was young; Although, he still looked slightly older than Doyeon at the same time. His milky skin that follows the sight of his dark brown hair. To the very left of her was a counter that was filled with vases of flowers. Within one vase of daisies laid a small card, Doyeon reached out to the card and opened it to her own surprise.

“Get well soon, Doyeon! We all miss you and wish you can come back to school to join us as soon as possible.” Doyeon quietly read to herself. “From your cool schoolmates in class 204.”

“Who’s Doyeon?” She thought to herself. “Am I Doyeon?” She slightly panicked and looked down at her very own body. Inside the white cover sheets, Doyeon sat there with her long legs stretched out as she wore a nightgown. It wasn’t your normal nightgown to be in exact, it was an hospital gown that reached to her knees.

Doyeon was afraid. Actually, she was more than afraid. She was absolutely frightened. Doyeon was frightened at the fact that she had no idea how she ended up in the hospital, who she exactly was and why she couldn’t remember a single thing. Not knowing what to do, she slowly laid back into her bed, keeping her eyes completely open to once more check out her surroundings. As she adjusted herself underneath the covers, the bed creaked and the boy next to her stretched out his arms and rubbed his eyes right after. He sure was one light sleeper.

His eyes fell upon Doyeon as he asked, “You’re awake?”

Pulling up her bed sheet all the way to her nose, leaving only her eyes and above visible, she softly said, “Yes, I am.”

“Yes?” The boy questioned her as a confused look came upon his face. “I was expecting ‘What does it look like to you?’ kind of response, but I guess ‘yes’ is good enough.”

“If he was expecting a response like that, then that must mean we’re close.” Doyeon thought to herself as she peeked over at him once more. He was still in his school uniform and if Doyeon looked really closely, his nametag read ‘Kim Jaehwan’. Therefore, Jaehwan was the name behind the mysterious boy's figure.

Jaehwan let out a breath of air, “Oh yeah, mom told me that she’ll be back in the morning. She had stuff to finish up at home and you know her, these chairs are too uncomfortable for her that she would either demand for another bed to be brought in here or she’ll just sleep at home and come early the next day. You’re most likely getting discharged tomorrow, so don’t get too comfortable.” Jaehwan laughed to himself. “I’m telling you not to get comfortable when you literally can’t because of your multiple surgeries and broken wrist.”

Doyeon had no idea if she was supposed to laugh with Jaehwan because he was literally laughing at her injuries. Not only that, but Jaehwan mentioned ‘mom’ within his sentence. It wasn’t ‘your mom’ or ‘my mom’ it was simply ‘mom’, indicating that the two were related. “Are my injuries that funny, ?” Doyeon said with a shaky voice. She didn’t mean to insult Jaehwan, but she thought she would give it a try since they were supposedly brothers and sisters to her calculations.

“There we go!” He began to clap his hands. “Here we have the Kim Doyeon insulting me on a daily basis as I do the same in return.”

Doyeon’s small worry went away as her response was exactly what Jaehwan was expecting. If she responded back in a formal way as beforehand, Jaehwan would’ve suspected Doyeon, which is the opposite of what she wanted to happen. If anything, she wanted to keep her memory loss a secret.

“What happened to me that resulted in all of this?” Doyeon wanted to ask, but kept it to herself. Instead, she asked, “Why are you still in your school uniform?”

“After mom discharges you, she’s going to take me to school, so I just wore my uniform here so I wouldn’t have to change tomorrow. The more time to sleep the better!”

“You’re that lazy that you can’t change in the morning? You’re disgusting.”

“Says the one who wore the same gown for the past two weeks.”

Jaehwan was right about that statement. Abruptly, Doyeon got up and walked towards the door. “Where are you going?” Jaehwan asked Doyeon as she grabbed onto the door handle.

“I just need some fresh air right now. You could probably use this opportunity to sleep in peace.” She said as she left the room, closing the door behind her.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter