A Blessing

Becoming a dad

Ji Wook was beyond ecstatic when Bong Hee affirmed that she was pregnant.

 

He had been depressed the past week when he learned that he just misunderstood her behavior and she avoided the topic of children after he had asked. He couldn't believe it at first that his initial mistake of thinking she was pregnant was actually correct, although it was due to a different assumption. Was he really that quick-witted? He thought amusedly.

 

They were emotional last night, comforting each other and basking in the happy knowledge that they would be parents soon. He had wanted to shout in joy but he could feel how scared and nervous she was and he understood. He opted to assure and comfort her gently instead.

 

He had actually been afraid when he woke up this morning, scared that maybe he just dreamt of that precious moment the night before but Bong Hee had confirmed it was reality when she said that she'll go to the hospital to get herself tested to make sure and to know how far she was in her pregnancy.

 

He badly wanted to go with her but he just had too much work that he can't afford to be absent today.

 

"i'll be fine jagiya. I'm just getting a very simple test." she had reassured him with a kiss and a smile before going.

 

Bong Hee was such a reliable person. She was always capable of doing things on her own, even protecting herself from danger with her background as a professional athlete. He was so relieved knowing that she's a healthy person and she'll be capable of carrying a healthy child as well.

 

He couldn't help but let out a smile again, covering his mouth with a hand in an attempt to cover his expression.

 

"Appa!" a small child came running to him, showing him a stuff toy with a toothy grin.

"Umma won this for me at the arcades! Umma is so cool!" 

He laughs as he carried the child in his arm, waiting for Bong Hee to come near them.

"You take after your mom a lot, loving games and toys."

"of course, the little one knows how to have fun." Bong Hee smiles as she commented, taking his other hand as they walked towards home.

 

He snickered in happiness of his imagination, temporarily forgetting that he was currently in a court trial. Everyone stared at him as his prosecutor partner stopped speaking when he heard him, wondering what was so funny.

 

He cleared his throat and gestured for his partner to continue, quickly looking back at his papers to hide his embarassment.

 

Focus Ji Wook! You're in the middle of a court trial!

 

He shook his head and took a deep breath. What can he do? He was just one happy father.

 

-----

 

Bong Hee stops walking as she reached the exit of the hospital. She looks towards the sky and covered her eyes from the sunlight. A smile formed in her face as she takes her phone from her sling bag.

 

Jagiya, i'm 5 weeks.

 

She sent the simple text and went towards her car, knowing that he'll understand what she meant.

 

Everything was really official now. She was pregnant with their first baby for 5 weeks already. She placed her hand in her stomach as she sat in the driver's seat.

 

"How are you today? I'm sorry mommy only noticed you now." she smiled as she her stomach. "Mommy was just scared a little but i'm okay now, I promise."

 

She started the car and went to her friend's house. Today was the day they would celebrate the 100th day of her friend's baby daughter and she brought her gifts.

 

The party went well and she had fun taking care of the other kids that attented, some of them her previous students.

 

She noticed that she easily got tired and opted to rest after the kids settled down with their parents, taking a huge gulp of water and sitting down in the sofa.

 

"So...how far along are you?"

 

She nearly choked on water when her friend suddenly asked out of nowhere and sat beside her.

 

"W-what?"

 

"oh stop acting all innocent. I can easily tell that you're pregnant." she crossed her arms and stared at her with a knowing look.

 

Bong Hee cleared and looked down. Was it obvious that she was pregnant? She doesn't have the baby bump yet though, how could she tell?

 

"Bong Hee,i already have 2 children. I just know." her friend laughed.

 

She sighed and bit her lip, "5 weeks" squealing in surprise when she got hugged.

 

"Congratulations chinguya!" her friend patted her at the back gently. "Being a mother is a blessing." she pulled away and held both of her hands with hers. "You must be scared, i know and i've been there but you see, that's totally normal. Just always remember that you have a wonderful husband that will be there for you."

 

She gulped and held back her tears. "how do you do it? Becoming a mother?"

 

Her friend smiled knowingly and wiped away a tear that escaped her eyes. "You'll know once you give birth, it just comes to you naturally Bong Hee-ya."

 

--

 

She drove home in the evening with a calm mind, extremely grateful for her friend's knowing words. It had helped her deal with her anxieties. Now that she had set aside her worries, she can finally enjoy and be sincerely happy with the pregnancy news.

 

She wanted to see Ji Wook as soon as she can to share her joy. Her heart was beating rapidly with her excitement. What could their child be? A girl? A boy? She giggled as she thought about a small Ji Wook being as pouty as his father. She can't wait to see her baby and have the three of them together.

 

She parked her car outside and wondered why it was so dark inside the house. Was Ji Wook not home yet? She looks at her watch as she opened the door with her keys.

 

Soft candlelights welcomed her in the dark as Ji Wook stood in the middle of the room with a boquet of flowers, smiling as he waited. She stood speechless at the entrance.

 

He approached her and gave her a sweet kiss in the cheek before he handed the flowers. "We never really got to celebrate our baby." he says with utmost affection as he stares at her now teary eyes, the words "our baby" giving them both undescribable happiness.

 

He held her at her waist and pressed his forehead to hers as they closed their eyes and savored the moment.

 

They didn't need any words to express their joy. In this moment, the three of them were one.