Chapter 2

A Day of Love and drama 2: brand new family

In a split second, Hyunjoong’s world seemed to have turned completely upside down. Jungmin was unconscious on the floor; Hyunjoong quickly taking his wrist to check his pulse. Panic flooded through him when he couldn’t feel a thing, leading him to quickly begin doing chest compressions whilst barking orders to the others.

“Someone call one-one-nine and get the oxygen, quickly come on - and Geun, take Shura out of here, she doesn’t need to see this!” he shouted

The others sprang into action; Geun quickly coming to retrieve his sobbing younger sister whilst the others began calling for emergency services. Hyunjoong’s compressions combined with some oxygen managed to help Jungmin a bit, though he was still very weak and his pulse was very faint. The ambulance arrived within a few minutes; the paramedics quickly lifted Jungmin onto the stretcher and whisked him off into the ambulance with Hyunjoong riding along with them. The others took the car to the hospital, bringing the children along with them as they couldn’t be left in the house on their own. Once at the hospital, Jungmin was rushed to the cardiac unit as a slew of nurses and doctors surrounded him straight away. The others sat around in the waiting room, paranoia consuming them as they were so extremely worried about their best friend - and especially Hyunjoong, who wanted his boyfriend to just be okay again.

“Will Jungmin appa be okay” Shura curiously asked, looking up at Hyunjoong. He nodded his head, not wanting to scare her or cause her to lose any hope.

“Of course.” he replied, giving her a warm cuddle.

The minutes seemed to pass in a blur. A doctor came out of the cardiac unit a while later, looking at them all with a grim expression. He asked to speak to Hyunjoong, whom nodded his head before walking over to talk with the doctor out of earshot of the others.

“It’s not good news I’m afraid.” he spoke, causing Hyunjoong to sigh. However, his heart dropped when he heard the next words...

“His condition is getting worse.”  

“How can that be when he’s been taking his medicine?” he questioned, trying his best to keep his voice down as he didn’t want the others - especially the children - to overhear. The doctor explained that sometimes things like this happened, and the only thing they could do was keep him comfortable and make sure he was rested, as well as having regular checkups with his heart doctor and such. Hyunjoong nodded and shook his hand, before waving the others over. They followed the doctor into the cardiac unit and into a room, where they saw Jungmin laying in bed surrounded by loads of wires whilst the nurses finished attaching him to different IV fluid drips and such as well as oxygen. The doctor and nurses bid them farewell, leaving them all in the room to look over their friend.

“It'll be okay appa; I love you.” Shura whispered, patting Jungmin’s head though he was none the wiser as he was fast asleep still.

“That's the spirit Shura.” Hyunjoong remarked, patting his daughter on the shoulder.

Throughout the day, the band remained scattered throughout the room - the others only leaving the room a handful of times to grab some food or drink whilst Hyunjoong remained at his boyfriend’s bedside, holding his hand constantly. Constant prayers were whispered throughout the day, everyone simply praying that Jungmin would be alright. As the day turned into night, and the night eventually began turning back into day, everyone was scattered throughout the room, fast asleep as the orangeish glow of the sunrise cast light into the hospital room. And the young man in the bed began regaining his consciousness, groaning slightly as he felt quite rough and tired, yet the white lights of the room along with the sunlight streaming through the windows were giving him a headache. His movements caused his partner, Hyunjoong, to stir, as he’d been holding his hand with his head resting against his legs all night. As the young man looked up and saw the slight smile from Jungmin, he leaned forward and gently pecked his lips, resting his forehead against his.

“Min, you’re alive.” he spoke, giving him an excited smile.

“Yeah but I feel like I've been hit by a truck.” Jungmin groggily spoke, rolling his eyes. Their chatter was enough to wake the others, whom immediately rushed to his side as they noticed he was awake.

“Appa!” Shura beamed with excitement, gently hugging him as he gave her a gentle hug in return.

“It's okay, sweetheart; I’m here.” Jungmin said weakly.

“My love, please don’t scare us like that - ever again.” Hyunjoong remarked, holding his hand yet again.

“I’m sorry,” Jungmin chuckled a bit, “No worries; I'm not going anywhere.” He gave them a reassuring smile, his strength being so inspiring that the others remained hopeful of his recovery as well.

*********

Despite being fine when he woke up, Jungmin unfortunately had to stay in the hospital for a couple weeks - just for percaution really as the doctors wanted to keep an eye on him and make sure he was alright. Whilst the family visited him every single day - and Shura of course broadcasting her reading skills every single time - he was still eager to leave the hospital as he was growing increasingly fed up of the ridiculously bland food and the white walls which had been slowly driving him insane. When he was finally allowed to leave, he was given strict instructions to take it easy - the advice being taken straight to heart as really, this incident had given Jungmin a major fright. He knew he had to be careful because the last thing he wanted was to die and leave his family behind. The first few days after leaving the hospital were rough to say the least. While the physical scars were nonexistent, the mental scars were still very much inexistance - Jungmin constantly feeling anxious that another incident would either land him back in the hospital or worse. He engaged in light exercise with the physical therapist whom would come to the house, as they wanted to get his heart back on track and into a steady, healthy rhythm - plus exercise was always good for the heart. Whilst the others went on with their own bits and bobs and sorted the children for school, Hyunjoong was by his side the whole time to make sure he was alright. They were in this together; Hyunjoong refused to let him do this by himself.

“Your readings have gotten very good, Shura; you’re making myself and your appa really proud.” Hyunjoong sweetly complimented Shura one evening after she’d been sat between them reading her book to them whilst the others were out for pizza and such. The three of them had opted to stay home for some family time, which was great especially for Shura as she enjoyed having her fathers around.

“Thank you.” the sweet little girl replied, cuddling into them both. She continued reading her book for a short while, before then retreating to her room to do some coloring. Hyunjoong and Jungmin cuddled up on the sofa together, their arms wrapped loosely around one another as they gazed into each other’s eyes. Jungmin often wondered where he would be if he didn’t have Hyunjoong or any of his family. The physical therapy was tiring, it was annoying having to use oxygen constantly even though it was temporary, and he would admit that he was worried about his condition as it could easily go in a bad direction at anytime. Still, he had his family sticking with him, and that was enough to help him carry on.

“Hey Hyun?” he spoke up, looking up as Hyunjoong looked up from the television.

“Yeah?” he asked. Jungmin smiled, his cheek.

“I love you.” he simply spoke. His voice came out no higher than a whisper, yet the love could be felt so strongly that Hyunjoong swore his heart was about to take flight.

“I love you too.” he replied before sealing the gap between them with a loving kiss, the two guys becoming lost in a bubble of love where nothing else mattered but this moment now. They knew that as long as they stuck together, everything would be okay.