Chapter 2

See-through
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Are you sure it's her?" a question emerged from Jihyo's voice. Munch after munch she had listened to Jeongyeon rant about her morning. But honestly, half of Jeongyeon's words were overshadowed by her own chewing of her food.

 

"Have you literally not listened to my story this whole time?" Jeongyeon asked in bewilderment.

 

Jihyo gently shook her head with a small shy giggle. "Momo said she's so pretty though!" she said in return.

 

Upon hearing the remark, Jeongyeon choked on her sandwich. Coughing incessantly, Jeongyeon flailed her arms in the air, using her body language to request for something to drink. But everyone at the table was too busy eating their own food, minding their own business. Also, it wasn't their first time seeing Jeongyeon crazily throwing her hands up in the air.

 

On maybe Jeongyeon's sixth cough a drink appeared in front of her face. A wave of relief washed over her face as she chugged the ice, cold water, oblivious to who had offered such drink.

 

"Oh my god, thanks for the water," said Jeongyeon. It was then that she noticed something, or rather someone standing next to her quietly giggling. Following the traces of the laughter, Jeongyeon laid her eyes on none other than,

 

"Mina!"

At the mention of the oh so freshman girl who's supposedly head over heels for Jeongyeon, everyone's eyes at the table lit up and darted towards the young girl. Feeling the many eyes on her, Mina ever so slightly cowered towards Jeongyeon.

 

"I'm so sorry I couldn't eat lunch with you, Mina." Jeongyeon sweetly apologized, oblivious to the others. Her eyes folded into beautiful crescents and Mina swore her heart skipped a beat.

 

"It's okay, unnie. I understand," Mina barely managed to respond.

 

Noticing the intimidated Mina, Jeongyeon quickly gave the girls at the table a stern look before introducing the girls to Mina.

 

"Jihyo, my roommate. Momo, my idiot friend," Jeongyeon started, receiving a small slap from Momo. "And Chaeyoung, my little brother."

 

Everyone waved at Mina with their best smiles and Mina cutely waved back.

 

"And this is," Jeongyeon pointed to Mina with jazz hands, "My physics lab partner, Mina!"


"Of course we already know her." Jihyo playfully mumbled quietly, but just loud enough for Mina to hear and blush.

 

Fumbling with her hands, Mina gently tugged on Jeongyeon's shirt. "Unnie, we should get going to physics," she reminded Jeongyeon.

 

Raising a brow, Jeongyeon checked her watch. Mina was right. But suddenly a rush of fear slammed down at Jeongyeon at the thought of somehow seeing that little rascal Im Nayeon. A shiver ran down Jeongyeon. But she quickly brushed it off.

 


There's no way she could have gotten into our physics lab section... no way...

 


"See your little butts later," Jeongyeon bid farewell to her troublemakers as she stood up with her trash in one hand and her bag wrapped around her shoulder. And then flashing Mina a big smile, Jeongyeon grabbed Mina’s hand. And Mina swore again that her heart malfunctions in front of Jeongyeon.

 

//

 

"You've got to be kidding me!" Jeongyeon scowled. She could not believe what she was seeing. In what world does bad luck run like this.

 

Surprised by Jeongyeon's abrupt change in mood, Mina flinched. She sat next to the left of Jeongyeon at the lab table. Today two new faces showed up at the table that used to only provide seating for Jeongyeon and Mina. By the looks of Jeongyeon's face, Mina concluded that this rather pretty new girl sitting exactly across from Jeongyeon was not a friend of Jeongyeon.

 

"You weren't even in this lab last week!" Jeongyeon exclaimed. "How can you suddenly appear now?"

 

"Changed sections, duh," was the response.

 


"Duh? Duh?" Jeongyeon rolled her eyes as she buried her face into hands.

 

In hopes to mend this situation, Mina stepped in immediately. "Hi! My name's Mina, what are yours?" Mina introduced herself first to the girl sitting in front of her.

 


"Nice to meet you, Mina!" the girl responded cheerfully. "I'm Sana!"

 

 

Smiling at Sana, Mina then looked at Sana's partner.

 

 

"Im Nayeon," was the response. "Nice to meet you, Mina." Slightly taken back by the rather cold response, Mina drew an awkward smile on her face. The table then gathered peace, or so it seemed at least.

 

 

Sana, Nayeon’s sweet partner, started a small conversation with Mina. Turned out Sana was a transfer student, but nonetheless a 2nd year like Nayeon and Jeongyeon. Apparently she and Nayeon had been friends even before she decided to transfer and now were roommates as well. While Sana’s story was interesting itself, Mina couldn’t help but notice some underlying tension between Nayeon and Jeongyeon. Peeking through the corner of her eyes, Mina witnessed Jeongyeon tapping her right index finger on the table. It seemed to be an unconscious habit that came out when Jeongyeon was stressed or nervous, Mina concluded.

 

The lab TA soon asked for everyone’s undivided attention moments later, and soon after, the four were set off with an experiment to do. The lab lasted past two hours and were probably the longest hours ever for everyone at that table.

 

“If I get anything lower than an A on this report, I’m killing you.” Nayeon scowled at Jeongyeon as soon as the experiment was done.

 

Jeongyeon rolled her eyes as she retorted back, “Vice versa.”

 

//

 

Group Message: LAB GROUP

 

Sana: Hey guys! So we can discuss about our experiments and set up a date to work on the report and assignments I created this groupchat! I don’t have Jeongyeon’s number, so Mina could you add her?

 

Mina: Of course, Sana unnie!

 

Mina added Jeongyeon

 

Jeongyeon: Hey Sana! I’m assuming the other number is Satan Im?

 

Sana: HAHA lol good one Jeongyeon!

 

Nayeon: Shut up, you jerk.

 

Jeongyeon: I’m not shutting up because I’m going to suggest meeting up at my apartment this Friday to work on our report and other assignments?

 

Sana: That sounds great!

 

Mina: Yes, unnie!

 

Nayeon: Ugh

 

Jeongyeon: Okay, when we get closer to Friday, I’ll send you guys my address!

 

Sana: Kk <3

 

Mina: Okay, unnie!

 

Jeongyeon: Okay, Sana and Mina you both have a wonderful day today!

 

Nayeon: What about me?

 

Jeongyeon: I hope you go to hell.

 

//

 


“Learned from your mistake yesterday?” Jihyo jokingly made fun at Jeongyeon.

 

Jeongyeon was wide awake sitting at the dining table, a cup of coffee in one hand and a PB&J sandwich in the other. Jeongyeon nodded her head in determination as if to prove to Jihyo that she was diligent enough to wake up a mere hour and half before her classes started today.

 

“So how’s Nayeon?” Jihyo bluntly asked as she sat down in front of Jeongyeon. Upon hearing the name, Jeongyeon choked on her sandwich. In hopes to drink away the problem, Jeongyeon sipped on her coffee, but even that was too hot.

 

“Awful,” Jeongyeon responded soon after. Her face showed utter terror at the thought of Nayeon. Just then, Jeongyeon’s phone buzzed with a new message.

 

“And speak of the devil!” Jeongyeon yelled as she checked her phone. Peeping at Jeongyeon’s phone, Jihyo curiously asked what the message was.

 

Satan Im: Don’t forget my coffee.

 

Letting out a long sigh, Jeongyeon showed Jihyo the message while fake cry

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter