Baby, I'm dancing in the dark, with you between my arms, barefoot on the grass, listening to our favorite song

Perfect

Baby, I'm dancing in the dark, with you between my arms

Barefoot on the grass, listening to our favorite song

 

“Okay, tell me, Yoo Jung-ah!” Bo Gum pried, playfully. “Did you really have no idea that I liked you?”

 

It was Monday, April 10th, in the afternoon. Bo Gum and Yoo Jung had gotten together for dinner at Bo Gum’s to celebrate the 100th day since they’d started dating. They had cooked and eaten and were now sitting on the couch, talking, when that question crossed Bo Gum’s mind.

 

“I’ll be honest, Oppa. The thought that you could like me did cross my mind.” She started. “But I pushed it away. I thought it couldn’t be possible that you liked me.”

 

Ani! Why would you say that, Yoo Jung-ah?” Bo Gum was worried now.

 

“I mean, look at you, Oppa. You’re talented, handsome, incredibly kind. Everybody loves you! And…” She lingered and took a deep breath. “You could have any girl you wanted. Why would you want me, of all people?” Bo Gum looked sad and confused upon hearing her words, so she quickly explained herself. “I mean, you’re much older than me. And you probably knew that it would be hard for us to date because of my age. That’s why I couldn’t understand why you’d want to be with me.” She looked down and started fidgeting with her hands.

 

“What are you saying?” Bo Gum shook his head and laughed, but got serious a second later. Yoo Jung had just opened her heart to him, and he knew better than to make her feel bad about it. He held her face in his hands, making her look straight into his eyes.

 

“The only girl I want is you, Yoo Jung-ah.” He gave her a reassuring smile. “I don’t care if it’s hard for us to date right now. If I had to wait decades for you, I would. I would do anything for you.” Yoo Jung smiled and wrinkled her nose, and Bo Gum’s heart melted.

 

“I would also do anything for you, Oppa.” She leaned in and playfully kissed his cheek. She looked much happier as she stood up and reached for her bag. Bo Gum looked at her with curiosity as she took out a small package.

 

“Actually, I… I made a present for you, Oppa.” She timidly handed him a CD and smiled, watching his reaction. “Happy 100th day.”

 

Bo Gum’s face lit up as he held it in his hands. Music was one of his favorite things in the world, and it was a passion he shared with Yoo Jung. He loved that she’d also remembered his love of CDs over digital music. The fact that she had spent so much time and effort making this present for him only made him love her more, if that was even possible.

 

Gomawo, Yoo Jung-ah!”

 

With a sudden rush of excitement, Bo Gum leaned in, cupped Yoo Jung’s face and started kissing her playfully, as they both laughed. Eventually, each kiss started getting a little deeper and, after a while, they were both dead serious and in the middle of a full-blown make out session. Bo Gum had lost all track of time and forgotten about the rest of the world, the only thing he wanted was to keep kissing Yoo Jung. She was leaning against the arm of the couch and he was on top of her. The more they kissed, the more they both got into it, and he wanted to go a little further, but...

 

“Wait.” Bo Gum came to his senses and sat up straight, trying his best to catch his breath and regain some clarity. “Mianhae, Yoo Jung-ah, we… Maybe we shouldn’t. At least not right now.”

 

Yoo Jung had also sat up and nodded. Her face was bright red and hot.

 

Ne, mianhae, Oppa. You’re right.” She took a deep breath and fixed her hair, still looking a bit flustered. Stopping before things got too far had been the right thing to do, Bo Gum thought, trying to convince himself of it. There were still many things they had to talk about as a couple, and the right time would eventually come. What hurt him was that Yoo Jung looked a bit taken aback, so he wanted something to cheer her up. Then, he had an idea.

 

“Can I play it now?”

 

Bo Gum was holding the CD and looking at Yoo Jung with puppy eyes. Her face lit up and she gave him a big smile as she nodded. Bo Gum walked up to his stereo and put the CD in. A few seconds later, the first notes of the very first song started playing, and he laughed.

 

“Yoo Jung-ah!” She was looking at him with a grin and a mischievous look on her face. “Why did you pick this song?”

 

“I just love it, Oppa!” She shrugged, laughing. “It’s a song by my favorite singer.”

 

Bo Gum’s smile widened and he kept looking at Yoo Jung’s happy face as the first verse of the song filled the air.

 

Nae maeum asinayo

Nae nunmuri malhajanhayo

Naega saraon dongan

Naega saragal dongan

Geudaen… Geudaen…

Nae jeonbuin geojyo

Nae saramin geojyo...

 

Bo Gum walked up to Yoo Jung and put out one hand after giving her a courteous bow. He tried to hold back his laughter and keep a straight face.

 

“May I have this dance, Yoo Jung-ssi?” He asked, playfully.

 

Yoo Jung burst out laughing and nodded, happily playing along. Bo Gum had achieved his goal of making her laugh again, and he quickly pulled her into his arms and started swaying to the rhythm. He held her close and leaned down, taking in the wonderful smell of her hair and feeling every breath she took.

 

Oppa, you know?” Yoo Jung looked up into his eyes. “I wish we didn’t always have to hide. I wish we could go out to eat and have fun like normal couples. I know someday we will be able to do it, but still… I wish that day would come sooner.” She finished with a shrug and a little smile.

 

“I know, Yoo Jung-ah.” Bo Gum nodded slowly. “I feel the same way. I know it’s hard, but it’s for the best. We have to protect our private life from the spotlight. You know many of our friends do it, as well.” He had a specific close friend and agency mate in mind. “We still have a long way to go, but I know we’ll make it.”

 

He smiled, thinking of all the years they still had ahead of them, and how much he wanted to spend every waking moment with Yoo Jung. There would come a time for everything they had to experience together, good and bad, and for now, he was just thankful to be in this journey with her. They were young and in love, and Bo Gum had never experienced such an incredible feeling. 

 

“What are you smiling about, Oppa?” Yoo Jung teased as she gave Bo Gum a knowing look, still in his arms and swaying along to the music.

 

“I’ve just been so happy, Yoo Jung-ah.” He sighed and answered, truthfully. “I never thought I could be so happy, and it’s all because of you. I am so grateful to have you. You make me so happy.”

 

...yeongwonhi geudaen

Nae saram... Saranghaeyo.

 

Bo Gum felt her smiling as she snuggled into him and tightened her embrace. She didn’t have to say it out loud, but she felt the same way, and he knew it.