A Fool?

The Jester And The Minstrel

Hongbin sat, almost motionless while waiting for his first class of the day. He had checked the bulletin board beforehand and found it still empty. The results for last week's evaluation should be posted today. Maybe he had just came too early.

 

He was currently having yet again another staring contest with the harmless device in his hand. White-haired guy was either too good at this game, or was simply a huge ing idiot. He had left his phone with Hongbin, just like that. And during the entire weekend, he hasn't received a single call, or even a text for the device to be returned, not even a message notification from one of the guy's friends. Hongbin briefly wonders if he has any friends at all.

 

Also, not more than once did he got the idea to snoop around. The device is just... there. The lack of password was a huge temptation and he hasn't stopped thinking about the stupid phone all weekend.


"But he left it with me, it's fine if I look, right?" he thought, his hand already halfway towards reaching for the phone, before his other hand manually stopped himself, as if his hands take orders from different sides of himself.


"No. Of course not. Get a grip of yourself, Lee Hongbin!" he scolded himself. It was the same stupid argument within himself and he was aware he was making a fool of himself... again.

 

He sighed, settling his head on the desk and staring at the root of his current internal turmoil. He did check the song white-haired guy showed him. It was such a sweet sounding piece and the lyrics were a beautiful contrast with the almost happy tune of the song. The voice for the demo was also surprisingly good, although edited a bit to match the required pitch, he recognized it as sleepy-eyes' voice. He was a good singer.

 

The anger he felt towards the guy dissipated a bit when he realized that it wasn't a lie that a song was composed with him in mind. Love Equation gave him the combined feeling of his first and second evaluation stage and when he tried to sing the song with the proper keys, found them almost a perfect match with his range, except for a few high notes.

 

Other than the song though, he hasn't touched a single file in the phone. It was tempting but he managed to win over the temptation.

 

He pressed a button and the screen immediately lit up. Another thing that made him softer for stupid composer guy. Why does he have a french bulldog as his lockscreen? Hongbin wanted to find out if the photo was taken randomly from the internet or white-haired guy's pet. If it's the latter, he wonders if he can ask if he can meet Buttbutt. It was a random name he used on the dog, because of how the photo shows Buttbutt from behind while looking at the camera with it's tongue slightly out. Such a cute little thing, Hongbin mused.

 

A ball of red slowly creeping in his field of vision coming from below almost made him fall out of his seat with shock. "Damnit, Chanyeol!" he cursed, even as Chanyeol just looked at him innocently with his big round eyes.

 

"I didn't know you were close enough with Wonshik to have his phone." Chanyeol said, as if Hongbin wasn't hanging with half of his on the chair and his hand on his chest trying to control his rapidly beating heart. "So was the whole scene last week because he pranked you or ditched you or whatever stupid friends do?" he asked, his chin perched on Hongbin's desk and staring at the still lighted screen of the phone.

 

Hongbin processed the question and almost blurted out the complete truth, but thought better of it. Chanyeol doesn't need to know how white-haired guy literally pranked or ditched him but not in the way of whatever stupid friends do kind of thing. So he just gave a boring "Yeah, something like that."

 

Chanyeol pouted and stared at the phone again, then standing to his full height. Chanyeol was tall, even taller than Hongbin who is already a head taller than half the school population. Hongbin randomly noted Chanyeol's fiery red hair, with dark roots still barely noticeable. Is it required for Composition Class students to have outrageous hair colors? he wondered as he remembers a certain ball of white hair.

 

"Have you seen the ranks?" Chanyeol asked, grabbing the nearest chair to Hongbin's desk.

 

"Is it posted already?" he asked, stuffing the phone in his pocket. That was enough phone-staring for this morning.

 

"Yeah. Walked by just in time to see Mr. Kwon putting up the list." he answered.

 

"I'll go check." Then Hongbin was out the classroom and walking towards the lobby of the Vocal Department. It was still early so the small crowd of people in front of the board was expected.

 

He searched for his name, tracing the list from down up. He knew he wouldn't find his name anywhere at the top anyway. He isn't a natural genius like Chanyeol who aces his tests and compositions, or like Baekhyun who was a complete natural on stage.

 

A smile stretched across his lips as he finds his name within the 20's rank out of the top 50 students posted for the third vocal evaluations. Satisfied with his rank, he continued to trace the list, noting Baekhyun who was at top 12 and Jaehwan, even after almost flunking one of his tests, got in the top 10. Chanyeol was in third rank again, then Zhang Yixing at second, another natural genius. The top of the list, the number one was taken by the same name Hongbin has been seeing since the first evaluation rankings. A guy by the name Kim Wonshik, someone Hongbin hasn't met at all. Oddly though, the name rings a bell.

 

"Wonshik got first place again." came Chanyeol's deep voice from behind Hongbin. He has to tip his head a little to look at Chanyeol. "And he double majors in Drama like you. I bet he's also the Drama Department's top again." he added, his lips in a playful pout.

 

And then it clicked. Double major. Drama Department. Wonshik. White-haired guy. The Kim Wonshik. He finally has a name to associate with the face he punched just a few days ago, but he didn't expect that he was dealing with the overall top student of the school. But for such a genius like Kim Wonshik, he was also the most stupid guy Hongbin has met. The phone in his pocket, a solid evidence for his words. 


"Hongbin!" a voice called. Hongbin turned his head to find white-hai-- no, Wonshik, smiling stupidly at him. He looked at the list again, the name Kim Wonshik glaring in black bold letters right next to the number one also in black bold letters. Then back to the stupid looking grin of the guy walking his way. Another look at the rankings. Hongbin thinks he's going to have a headache.