Prologue: A Mere Spectator

The Jester And The Minstrel

Wonshik watched attentively, listening closely until his group hits the very last note of the song. They did well, just like in their practice but he has to admit that he isn't completely satisfied. During practice, he had to change a lot to fit the group's ranges. Some pitch altered to be a bit higher, low notes raised a bit, certain parts changed completely. It was hard. It was like asking a kid to try clothes two sizes smaller or bigger.

 

He sighed. It couldn't be helped. No one in his Vocal group is like Taekwoon afterall. Taekwoon can make his scripts come to life with his own power, willing himself to mold into character. He can make it his own, even if the character in Wonshik's mind as he wrote it was a different person. And for that fact alone, Taekwoon has earned his absolute respect.

 

Although the actor's lack of interest in taking double majors with Dance is still beyond him. In his opinion, Taekwoon can easily handle the two courses, alongside his destined partner Hayeon from the Dance Department.

 

The group on stage gave a last bow to the crowd. He gave his group an applause nonetheless, they earned that much. He can't force people to mold into something that was meant to be sang and acted by someone else. They gave their best and showed an amazing performance. It should be enough.

 

The lights dimmed, enveloping the auditorium in semi-darkness. The lights came back soom after, a different group on stage this time.

 

He recognized the group. It's Chanyeol's group. A set of five males and five females, each in their own variation of black, slightly ripped clothes, with dark make up and messily styled hair.

 

Wonshik had heard them practice on more than one occasion and the clothes and make up perfectly fit the song. Somewhere in the crowd, there was a loud set of claps, and Wonshik knows that it was from Chanyeol himself. His claps always has a certain pitch and frequency that Wonshik can pick him out easily enough. It was soon followed by the rest of the crowd, then died down when the first note played.

 

It was easy picking out who is singing which part, Baekhyun's rich voice obviously being the main body of the song. And then the song came to silence, the calm before the . Chanyeol has a penchant for using this kind of arrangement and Wonshik was amazed at how the guy can create such different moods with it.

 

The light then focused on the male positioned near the end of the group. His clothes were ripped a little around his chest and his hair covered one of his eyes. That's probably the only complaint he has, they should've shown his entire face.

 

The male opened his mouth and started singing his part. A deep baritone echoing sweetly, thanks to the school's high quality equipment. His small gesture of holding his earpiece as he closed his eyes when he hits the end of his part didn't go unnoticed with Wonshik's watchful eyes. It had always gotten to him. How this person sings with such passion in his voice and expression.

 

This very reason is why Wonshik had specifically approached him during the last evaluation.

 

He had heard him sing his heart out with a ballad during the first evaluation and after that Wonshik had envisioned almost all of his characters for his stories based on him. 

 

Seeing him during the second evaluation being all smiles with an upbeat song, Wonshik had to type like a madman on his phone just to keep track of the outburst of ideas.

 

Wonshik had waited for him to finish changing and asked for a few minutes of his time. He poured his heart out, about how he loved his voice after hearing him from the first evaluations, how most of his scripts and composition are based on him and how he would absolutely be delighted if he will double major with him in Drama and Vocal. He didn't get an immediate answer, just a reply which is an octave higher than his normal voice saying, "I-- I'll think about it. Can you give me some time?" And Wonshik agreed.

 

A couple of weeks later, when the second semester started, Wonshik had seen him in the Drama Department and had written an entire script the very same night.

 

They didn't get the chance to talk again after that, never being assigned in the same group or having different timeslots for classes. 

 

The performance finished with a carefully placed high note by Little Canary, great arrangement from Chanyeol.

 

He stood from his seat when the group retreated to the backstage. He needs to tell him how this dark and heavy themed song fits his beautiful deep voice perfectly and also to tell him how he did such a great job acting out as the secondary lead in yesterday's film.

 

The student standing guard backstage let him through without a word, familiar with Wonshik as one of the composers. He had easily spotted the group in black, with a flame haired Chanyeol in the middle of them.

 

"Hongbin!" he called out, praises and words of appreciation already on the tip of his tongue.

 

Hongbin turned and directed a heavy kohl lined eye at Wonshik, one of his eyes still covered by his black hair. He squinted for a moment before marching straight at him.

 

The next thing Wonshik knows, he was on the floor with a stinging cheek and a painful jaw, belatedly realizing he got punched on the face. Then Hongbin's deep baritone voice once again rising an octave higher but with a completely different feel from months ago. "That's what you deserve, !"