The first encounter, or sixth?

Bad luck
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Doyeon POV:

Right now, I’m in my first period, which is history. I’m sitting in the last row of seats, next to the window. I’m waiting for my friend Yoojung to get here meanwhile I check my phone. Let’s say I’m not a social person.

 

I lost my hearing when I was 11 because a blast occurred near me. No one knows who or why someone left a bomb near a park where kids play and, unfortunately, I was the kid who found it. The positive thing is that I survived, only being left with some minor injuries and losing my hearing.

Since the loss of my audition I obviously learned sign language, but also reading lips, to try to have a normal life in high school. Learning how to read lips is useful for me because considering I wasn’t born deaf, I know how to speak.

Right now I’m 17, being in my senior year and so far, it has worked, I must say it is thanks to Yoojung, who tells me whenever someone is speaking to me. Sometimes people speak from my back, meaning there’s no way I know who’s talking.

 

Meanwhile I check my phone, I get a notification from Yoojung, saying: Sorry, I got sick because you forced me to jump into a river in the middle of winter :). Hope you brought with your earphones.

 

Oh no, she sorts of sounds angry at me and an angry Yoojung is scary. But it is understandable why she is like this right now, because I was the who dropped her jacket into the river and made Yoojung help me, getting both of us in the river to search for it, and just because it was my favorite. However, my ego is too big to admit in front of her that it is my fault. She could have told me before I get here that she wasn’t going to come, that way I would have just skipped school to avoid trouble. I guess she’s applicating her own karma on me.

 

By good luck, I did bring my earphones, so I will put them on and be unaware of the world, even though I don’t need them to be. I just hope no one decides to speak to me from my back.

History is just copying what the teacher says so it is easy, until he decides to face the whiteboard instead of them front, but at least he modulates well, saving me of one of my many problems.

 

The hour went flying and the bell rings, meaning that now I have science. We were doing an experiment in pairs, I was with Yoojung, so I will just continue the work alone. I start writing the results we got last week and then explaining what they mean. Meanwhile I’m writing I notice some people staring at me, but no one directly speaking with me, so I pay no mind and continue my task.

I’m perhaps being paranoid. This always happens to me when Yoojung doesn’t comes, and I hate it.

 

Now we have recess, which I normally spend working in my homework at the library. I swear the teachers show no compassion for their students.

As I walk down the hallway I again see people staring at me, some of them giving me dirty looks. I look back in case someone was talking to me, but no one was near me or looking at me. Feeling confused I just keep walking, making sure I have my earphones on, so maybe if anyone was really speaking to me, they understand that I’m not in mood of talking or I just didn’t hear them.

 

In the course of the day, I kept noticing people looking at me and not in a good or curious way. I noticed this at least 5 times, counting the first two in the morning. I don’t even understand what might have caused those glares, I remember checking behind my back if someone was shouting at me or anything, but no one was there.

This day was becoming weirder by each passing second, and I will just blame Yoojung for it. She’s the one with weak defenses who got sick by a little of water, look at me, I’m perfectly fine. At least in terms of health.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yoojung missed two days of school. However, the third one, being Friday, she finally shows up.

With the constant silence I live with, I’m sitting at my desk while reading a new book. Breaking my concentration, I feel someone poking my shoulder, I look up and it is Yoojung:

 

“Someone is alive” I say joking.

“Remember that the third day he revived” she answers back “and what the hell did you do now Doyeon?” She asks surprising me, what did I even do now?

“Nothing, that I know of” I answer puzzled.

“Almost everyone looks at you in a dreadful way, and I’m not exaggerating. Besides, I have no idea why. I barely overheard a piece of conversation, and what I understood is so vague”

“What? Please explain more because I’m so confused right now” I say.

“I heard someone say ‘that Doyeon girl is so mean for ignoring her’ but who?” Yoojung says and I frown clueless.

“How would I know, I just realized I might have ignored someone because someone didn’t come to class” I say frustrated as I remember all the stares from that day.

“It’s you wh- okay let’s not start with this. But I will ask someone what the hell did you do because all the staring and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter