Two Years

Two Years

Daehyun had always been that type of student who focuses mainly on his studies. He is definitely not your average 'nerd'; he is more than average-looking. In fact, if you glance at him once, you would definitely want to look again. He was ultimately good-looking even in his simplest attire. Despite his good looks, he did not flaunt it. He is not the type to care about 'looking good', as long as he looked presentable then he was ready to go. Hence, he did not care about being in a romantic relationship; he believed that it is a waste of time.

 

That was until one day at school, Daehyun noticed a boy he never noticed before. It was not his looks that caught Daehyun's eyes though, it was his behaviour. Daehyun was hanging around his friend's class when the boy walked in with a loud bang as he opened the door. The boy just waved his right hand to apologize instead of saying 'sorry', which irked Daehyun to no end.

 

"Who is that?" he asked his friend, Youngjae.

 

"Oh that? His name is Yongguk", Youngjae replied while finishing his sandwich. If a glare can drill, his would drilled a hole through the back of Yongguk's head. Youngjae looked confusedly between Daehyun and Yongguk until he realized something and his infamous naughty smirk slowly formed on his plump lips.

 

"Hey, you interested?" He whispered to Daehyun's ears while wriggling his eyebrows. Daehyun turned to him with a bewildered look and let out a curse, earning a huge laughter from Youngjae.

 

"Enjoy eating your lunch alone!" Daehyun exclaimed and walked out of the classroom, leaving behind a still-laughing-Youngjae. Unfortunately for Daehyun, Youngjae told their other friends on what he believed is Daehyun's first crush and now they all made fun of Daehyun liking Yongguk, much to Daehyun's annoyance.

 


 

"I DON'T LIKE THAT GUY!" Daehyun shouted in annoyance one day to his friends. His friends then turned quiet while snickering. Daehyun thought he put the useless joke to an end. However, when he turned around to take out his book from his bag, there was Yongguk sitting with his other rowdy friends at a table behind theirs. Daehyun sighs and thought 'so this is why they are suddenly quiet'.

 

"Hey Yongguk!" Youngjae suddenly called out loud. Daehyun snapped his head to glare at Youngjae. Youngjae smirked and called Yongguk over to their table. Much to Daehyun's annoyance,  Yongguk really came over to their table. He could feel his friends kicking his legs from under the table. Daehyun mouthed a curse word to them, making them snickered.

 

"'Sup", Yongguk greeted the table. Daehyun froze. He never expected the boy to have a deep, hoarse voice that can resonate through his whole body. 'What is going on with me?!' Daehyun exclaimed in his head.

 

"I just wanna ask whether you've done this or not. If not let's do it together? Because I don't know how to do it". Daehyun could see through Youngjae's lies.

 

"Oh sure. Hmm your friends don't mind me sitting here, right?" Yongguk asked while smiling at everyone. 'He's not that bad,' Daehyun thought. 'Wait, what are u thinking Jung Daehyun? Just focus on your revision'. But Daehyun spent the entire study time thinking how attractive Yongguk sounded and how melodious his laugh was.

 


 

After that incident, both Daehyun and Yongguk became friends and so do their friends. To Daehyun's amusement, Yongguk was more than just a rowdy and rude boy that Daehyun thought he was. In fact, he was a deeply philosophical person who has a very interesting but intellectual perspective of the society and the world, making Daehyun enjoyed conversing with him. This also meant more teasing from his friends but Daehyun eventually grew immune to it.

 

One Day while watching the school's soccer competition, Yongguk was humming to a too-familiar-tune for Daehyun. Daehyun furrowed his eyebrows and interrupted, "I thought you only listen to hiphop and indie songs and don't like pop songs?"

 

Yongguk smiled and replied, "Yeah, but that song is by your favourite singer". Daehyun froze and stared at Yongguk. Yongguk smirked and looked towards the field, feigning concentration on watching the soccer match in front of them. 'What is he trying to do?!' Daehyun thought while pretending to concentrate on the soccer match also. As sudden as Yongguk's unforeseen action, the moment passed by quickly and everything turned back to normal. The group ate together after that and Yongguk treated Daehyun as usual as if what happened earlier is just a pigment of Daehyun's imagination. However, Daehyun could not take his mind off the incident. What Daehyun could not decipher was how fast that overwhelming moment passed by. Was he just imagining it? If he wasn't, does it mean anything? Daehyun then realized that he was disappointed that what happened at the soccer match did not escalate into something else. Bewildered at his sudden realization, Daehyun cursed himself in his head over and over again as if it's a mantra that could aid him stop wishing for more from Yongguk. 'Pabo Daehyun pabo Daehyun pabo Daehyun pabo Daehyun...'

 


 

As childish as Daehyun realized his action was, he thought it is the best action for him and his future. He need to focus on is study like he initially planned. Daehyun rarely joined his friends when they hang out with Yongguk and his gang. In fact, whenever Yongguk or Jongup, Yongguk's closest ally, came over to their table Daehyun would excuse himself after a minute. He himself was surprised with the number of lies he came up with to escape from the group. However, it did not seem to work one day when Youngjae, of course that bastard, pointed out the obvious; that Daehyun seemed to avoid a certain someone.

 

"Are you going to the library again? Just how many books are you planning to read?" Youngjae asked out loud just as Daehyun excused himself to go to the library to find reading materials, as usual.

 

"Exam is near, I need to fully prep myself. You know me," Daehyun replied while adjusting the strap of his bag.

 

"Yea, and you happened to need to go there whenever Yongguk is coming over," Youngjae retorted while pointing at Yongguk as if he was not there. Daehyun glared at Youngjae but Youngjae just looked at him with a feigned innocent look while enjoying his lollipop.

 

"Just take a break for a day Dae, you'll feel glad you ditch library today. Just today. Just one day," Yongguk jumped into the conversation. Daehyun's breath hitched. It has been awhile since Yongguk directly talk to him with his eyes fixed particularly on him. Daehyun suddenly felt nervous for no apparent reason. 'Maybe it's because of the thought of not visiting the library for a day. Yes, that must be it' he said to himself. Youngjae's playful whistle interrupted his thought, earning Youngjae an annoyed look from Daehyun.

 

"I'm sorry, I just can't help it. Himchan looks good in those sport outfit," Youngjae muttered while oogling at a certain someone. Daehyun turned around and see a sweaty Himchan drinking a bottle of cold water. Next to him was his friend Junhong who, just like him, was wearing sport attire. Junhong was wiping his own sweats while having a conversation with Himchan. Daehyun rolled his eyes at Youngjae. Of course, no one had ever escape from being a fan of the two most famous students in the school; Himchan and Junhong. The two model students are well known for topping the school academically while being active in sport activities also. 'Is Yongguk also a fan?' suddenly a thought crossed Daehyun's mind. He stole a glance to Yongguk who was playing with his phone unlike his other friends who are obviously eyeing the two students. Daehyun did not know why but he felt relieved seeing Yongguk not bothering to join the others.

 

"Hey, sorry to interrupt your fantasy but I need to go home. See you guys tomorrow!" Jongup exclaimed while getting ready to leave. Daehyun glanced at his watch, then decided to leave also seeing that it was quite late already.

 

"Wait Jongup, let's go together," Daehyun interrupted while packing his stuffs in a hurry. He cursed at himself for borrowing too much books as he was having trouble carrying everything.

 

"Do you need extra hand?" Yongguk whispered with a small smile. Daehyun froze. This is Bang Yongguk. The boy who is infamous for his rowdiness and rudeness. Who rarely helped others aside from, perhaps, Jongup. The same Bang Yongguk offered to help him. As embarassing as it is, Daehyun stuttered between a 'no' and a 'yes'. Youngjae who was cupping his mouth and jumped excitedy behind Yongguk did not help either.

 

"I- I- It's okay I'll carrythemmyself," Daehyun managed to let out a proper sentence. He walked ahead fastly without turning back, not realizing he was holding his breath until he was sitting on the bus riding home. With a blown mind, Daehyun kept on repeating the earlier scene where Yongguk was offering to help him. Daehyun did not realize he was smiling until he felt his cheeks hurt. he gasped when he realized how excited and hopeful he is due to Yongguk's simple action. ''. That night, Daehyun could not sleep early when he realized that he liked the rowdy and rude boy that he used to loath. Daehyun did not like Yongguk. Heck, he was not Daehyun's style. So he blamed his friends for making fun of him liking Yongguk, because they know Yongguk is not his taste. It's their fault for igniting the fondness that he did not previously felt towrds Yongguk. It's their fault for making him consider a bad boy type. It's their fault that Yongguk acknowledge him and treat him quite different from anybody else.'Bang Yongguk. What have you done to me'.

 


 

Nothing happened. To Daehyun's frustration, nothing happened after the special, or at least what he thought was special, incident. The students individually get busier as exams were getting nearer. 'Yes, he must be busy preparing for exams,' Daehyun thought, despite realizing how ridiculous it sounded as Yongguk was not the type to study. Just like during the soccer incident, what Daehyun thought would escalate to something resulted in actually nothing. What's sadder was that after the exam was over and school end holiday started, Yongguk did not contact him at all. Not even wishing him a merry christmas. 'Was I hoping blindly?' Daehyun thought while fiddling his phone, waiting for a text that he knew deep inside would not come. 'It's not like I am hoping or anything, at least he should text as a friend' Daehyun thought. Nevertheless, he jumped in his seat when his phone buzzed, only to be disappointed seeing it was from a contact named 'Youngjae Pabo'.

 

"Yah, have you checked the recent photos of Himchan's sns?? - Youngjae Pabo"

 

Daehyun rolled his eyes before replying.

 

"No? I don't even follow him. Just a waste of my time."

 

His phone buzzed again in less than a minute, signalling Youngjae's reply.

 

"Just check!!!!!! - Youngjae Pabo"

 

Daehyun huffed and opened his sns account for Youngjae's sake. But Daehyun did not expect that as soon as he viewed Himchan's sns account, he would be bombarded with photos of him being close with Yongguk. Daehyun's breath hitched as he read sweet captions after sweet captions of the photos that Himchan posted. Daehyun scrolled to the oldest photo of the couple; just before exam. Of course. Why did he even hoped that Yongguk was giving signs of liking him? Why did he even had the audacity of thinking Yongguk likes a bookworm or nerd like him? Of course the boy likes a famous student just like anybody else. Daehyun's phone suddenly rang the ringtone that signalled Youngjae calling him. But he could not do anything beside sitting while staring at the wall in front of him. He should have just focus on his studies like he initially planned to do. He chuckled as he realized how stupid he was for letting a boy made his heart ache so so much. 'Pabo Daehyun pabo Daehyun pabo Daehyun pabo Daehyun...'

 


 

2033 WORDS OMG I DID NOT REALIZE!

I'm sorry for the long draggy read guys, I would be thankful enough if you read this long- story ><