Part Two.

Call it Magic
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Baekhyun isn’t expecting for someone to be knocking on his door at ten in the morning. Closer to dreamworld than Earth, Baekhyun gets up from his bed, puts on the first sweatshirt that he finds and walks slowly towards the door, yawning repeatedly. The person at the door knocks again, harder this time, and Baekhyun tries to find the doorknob with his eyes half-open and a grimace finding its way onto his lips. It seems like the sleepyhead part of him didn’t go away even as a human.

 

“Good morning,” a deep voice greets him, followed by a small laugh that sends a pleasant shiver down his spine. Baekhyun recognizes that voice but his eyes only open once he feels a hand fixing his hair. He’s met with the image of Chanyeol; smiley, bright, perfect. Baekhyun blinks a few times not being able to believe what he’s seeing.

 

“Chan…” He yawns. “…yeol. Today’s Thursday, isn’t it? Aren’t you going to school?”

 

“My Composition professor called this morning saying he wouldn’t be there, so I decided to give myself the day off.” he says, raising his eyebrows. Baekhyun tilts his head to one side, looking at him between droopy eyelids.

 

“And the rest of your classes?”

 

“There are only two. History and Research, both boring. Hey, do you want to go to the amusement park? If we leave now we can spend the whole day there.”

 

Baekhyun’s eyes widen when he hears his suggestion. Chanyeol missing classes? His Chanyeol? This has got to be a joke. Nevertheless, he can’t help but smile at the idea because he’s missing those classes for none other than him, Byun Baekhyun, to go with him to the amusement park. And he loves that. However, Chanyeol’s expression changes, turning almost ashamed, suddenly scratching the back of his neck and lowering his gaze. Baekhyun knows him too well; he’s nervous.

 

“Uh, unless you had plans, we can go another day…”

 

“It’s perfect,” Baekhyun responds happily; his world lights up when his owner lifts up his head and smiles at him. “Just wait twenty minutes while I get ready, okay?”




 

✧·゚: *✧·゚:* ♥︎ *:·゚✧*:·゚✧




 

It takes about forty minutes to get to the amusement park but Baekhyun isn’t worried. In fact, he’s roaring with laughter because of Chanyeol, who’s telling him stories about his school while they wait for the bus to take off again. People turn to look at them, a few annoyed and others having fun but Baekhyun could care less. He couldn’t be happier.

 

“So since this had been so rude to everyone, I couldn’t help but stick my foot out when he passed by me. Then I spilled my soda on him, pretending it was an accident,” he says, laughing with Baekhyun who has tears in his eyes. “He tried to hit me but I’m more than a whole head taller than him, it was useless.”

 

“They didn’t suspend you because of it?” Baekhyun asks and looks on proudly as his owner shakes his head no and smiles. “You’re really lucky, Park.”

 

“Only guys as handsome as me have luck, Byun,” he responds, winking. Baekhyun smiles and looks out the window, halting his gaze when he sees a woman walking her dog. A corgi, just like him. Unfortunately for him, Chanyeol follows his gaze and his smile fades when the girl crouches down, pets her dog’s head and keeps walking. He realizes that Chanyeol saw what he did once the bus starts moving and they lose sight of the woman.

 

“Chanyeol?” he calls, but his owner keeps looking out the window. He can guess the way he feels from the way one of his fists is clenched tight.

 

“He still hasn’t come back, Baekhyun, and I don’t think he will,” he says, choking up; Baekhyun instantly feels as though there’s a knot in his throat. “It was my fault. I wasn’t taking care of him well because I was thinking about the girl that cheated on me. Someone that wasn't worth anything made me lose what was worth more than all the gold in the world.”

 

Baekhyun knows that if he listens to him anymore he’ll cry. So he doesn’t think; he extends a hand and holds Chanyeol’s face, turning it towards him. Just as he’d thought, the taller’s eyes are red from containing his tears, a sight that breaks his heart into a million pieces.

 

“Trust him, Chanyeol,” he says while looking him in the eyes. His owner is bordering on tears, when did the atmosphere become so sad and heavy? He doesn't like it, he absolutely hates it. “I’m sure that he’ll come back to you. Have faith in him, he won’t abandon you.”

 

When Chanyeol takes hold of the hand that is holding his face, everybody else disappears, leaving them two alone. Then, Chanyeol closes the distance between them until their foreheads hit and Baekhyun feels his heartbeat go crazy. It surprises him that his owner can’t hear it; he could have sworn that the sound of his heartbeats ricocheted off the windows of the bus. He’s sure that his face is red, and can’t help but feel extremely nervous about how close his owner is to him. What was this feeling?

 

“As strange as it sounds,” Chanyeol whispers, for just them to hear, “I believe you, Baekhyun. I believe in the words that you say, so I’ll trust you.”

 

Baekhyun feels as though the words he said were more for Chanyeol himself than for him, but he can tell that he’s being sincere. He knows him well enough to be able to read his eyes and know that he trusts him. When they separate, Chanyeol’s body heat goes away too, and Baekhyun finds himself missing it a minute later.




 

✧·゚: *✧·゚:* ♥︎ *:·゚✧*:·゚✧




 

Baekhyun gulps when the giant rollercoaster appears in front of him. He’s never been to a place like this, he’d had no idea how intimidating all the rides looked, looking at them through the television wasn’t the same. He feels himself get dizzy as he looks at the ride where they flip and loop the people around and around; their screams the only thing to be heard as they walk by.

 

“You’re looking just like you did when we watched the horror movie, Baek,” Chanyeol says, laughing, clapping him on the shoulder. “I think we won’t get on this one. There are smaller and less terrifying rides over there, follow me.”

 

The shorter follows him blindly, trusting that his owner knows what he’s doing. He’s been to this park an infinite number of times so he surely knows it like the back of his hand. Baekhyun remembers having to resign himself to staying at home while he waited for Chanyeol to get home and tell him about his trip. It had always sounded fun and now that he has the opportunity to enjoy it too, he’s not gonna waste it.

 

While they’re walking, Baekhyun comes across a stand where they’re selling cotton candy and his mouth waters. The last time he’d seen some had been a few months ago when he accompanied Chanyeol on a family trip to the annual fair. His owner bought one of those heavenly delicacies and gave him only a little bit. It tasted so good but he couldn’t sleep all night because of the amount of sugar he'd consumed, so his owner never gave him some again. Nonetheless, now that he’s a human things are completely different; without having to think twice about it, he drags Chanyeol by his sweatshirt towards the stand, where he asks the man for two large and colorful cotton candies.

 

“You’re acting like it's your first time eating one, Baekhyun,” Chanyeol says when he sees him stuff a huge piece in his mouth, his lips after. Baekhyun looks at him and raises his eyebrows, happy.

 

“I can’t eat that much sugar because…well let’s just say that I get a little hyper,” Baekhyun says, shrugging his shoulders. “But I love these things. If I could, I’d eat fifty of these sublime heavenly gifts.”

 

“Well, don’t do it, I don’t want to have to take you to the emergency room,” Chanyeol says between laughter. “How about we finish these and then go ride some rollercoasters, yeah?”

 

Baekhyun agrees and they continue on their way, now looking for an empty bench. Since it’s Thursday, there aren’t a lot of people, all of them being either at school or at work, and not getting out until later in the day. In a way, it’s good, he doesn’t like places crowded with people. Baekhyun wishes he had his keen sense of smell back so that it’d be easier for him to find an empty bench, but another part of him likes walking with Chanyeol and talking about even the most meaningless of things. He feels really happy today and besides, his mission is being completed to the T.

 

It doesn’t take long for them to find a bench in the distance, kind of hidden away from the people passing by. He thinks it’s perfect, and is about to point it out to Chanyeol, when he sees the taller stop, his gaze somewhere else, his expression serious. Baekhyun wished he hadn’t turned, because what he sees makes his blood boil in anger. It’s that woman, the one that hurt his owner, now walking hand in hand with another man. Baekhyun feels like he’s about to growl, and his rage intensifies when she turns in their direction and realizes that Chanyeol is there. Shamelessly, she walks towards them and instinctively, Baekhyun holds Chanyeol’s hand.

 

“Chanchan, hello,” the woman greets them. She turns to glance at Baekhyun but doesn’t pay him any more attention, instead, she smiles at the taller. “How have you been?”

 

Chanyeol stays quiet for a moment, but when he goes to answer her, Baekhyun sneezes. Even as a human that horrible perfume still bothers him?

 

“Bless you,” the woman mutters, smiling at him. Baekhyun on the other hand, looks at her expressionless.

 

“Your perfume gives me allergies,” he says, wrinkling his nose. The woman looks at him with disdain, but when she sees that he and Chanyeol are holding hands, her expression turns disgusted. Baekhyun couldn’t be more annoyed.

 

“Damn, I never thought you were, you know…”

 

The smaller looks at her, puzzled. Perhaps she didn’t know?

 

“Do you have a problem with it?” Baekhyun asks, serious. He sees her new boyfriend grab her by the waist and pull her in closer, but doesn’t pay attention to it. He’s too angry to hold in his rage.

 

“Of course I do,” she responds, “I didn’t find out until today that I kissed a guy that likes .”

 

Chanyeol’s hold on Baekhyun’s hand tightens, furious, but Baekhyun bursts into laughter, earning the attention of the three people present.

 

“But that’s your specialty, isn’t it?” Baekhyun says, pointing to her. “Tell me, how many of your professors have you off? How many do you have left, cause we all know that with that brain of yours you won’t graduate.”

 

Deep inside, Baekhyun supposes that his insolent personality is owed to the spirit that turned him human because he can’t really remember being this way when he was a corgi, but right now he doesn’t mind it; the furious look on the woman’s face makes it all worth it. Nonetheless, it’s obvious that her boyfriend won’t just stand there watching him insult her, and it’s too late when he realizes such, the guy angrily grabbing him by the shirt and yelling nonsense at him, as he was too busy smiling like an idiot.

 

However, the hold on his shirt disappears and soon in his line of vision is Chanyeol, with his one hundred and eighty six centimeters of height, shoving him off of Baekhyun and hitting him in the face. After all, what could that dwarf do to him? The woman, furious, goes to smack him but Chanyeol stops her, his grip on her arm tight.

 

“Get out of here. I never want to see you again, I don’t even want you to turn and look at me when we see each other at school. Do you understand?”

 

Having said this, he brusquely lets go of her hand, takes Baekhyun, and walks far away from the scene. There are people that turn to look at them as the pass by, some who get out of their way, and others that go help the tool that’s lying knocked out on the ground. Baekhyun, on the other hand, doesn’t process everything that’s happened until they’re in front of a ride that has seats in pairs and goes around in circles.

 

“Should we get on this one?”

 

Baekhyun notices the tremble in Chanyeol’s jaw as he speaks even though he’s trying to smile, and soon he feels bad. That encounter shouldn’t have happened, not like that, not when everything had appeared to be fine. Because of that he won’t ask questions, at least not right now. For now, he only smiles and agrees.

 

They play all kinds of games and get on every ride in the park until it’s late. The time flew so fast that Baekhyun doesn’t realize how late it is until they’re finishing eating and laughing together. Fortunately, the people who saw them fighting didn’t report them to the police, and it seems that the woman had to leave with her idiot partner, so the the two of them had had a calm day since then. Nevertheless, Baekhyun can’t help but feel at fault for what happened—maybe if he hadn’t opened his huge mouth he…

 

“Hey, Yeol,” he whispers. He prefers to play with the last french fry he has left instead of looking the other boy in the eyes. “I want to… I want to apologize.”

 

“Huh? Why?” the aforementioned asks, then taking a sip of his almost empty soda. Baekhyun still doesn’t look him in the eyes, he doesn’t have the courage to do so.

 

“I think I shouldn’t have, you know, said those things to her. I think I was too rude, and well, I almost got you into trouble. I’m sorry.”

 

Since Chanyeol doesn’t say anything for a long time (and everything is awkward and he doesn’t like it, not at all), Baekhyun forces himself to turn towards him. The man in front of him blinks twice before beginning to laugh, calling the attention of the people around them. Baekhyun feels his cheeks redden, but soon he finds himself infected by his owner’s laughter and laughing along with him.

 

“I think everything you said was called for, Baek,” he says once he calms down. “You don’t have to apologize. Actually, I want to thank you. I had no idea what to do when I saw her.”

 

Baekhyun looks at him for a moment and smiles: he’s embarrassed. Why does he look so cute like that?

 

“I could tell.”

 

The both of them smile without saying anything else. Soon, they’re walking towards the fair again and Chanyeol stops when they come upon a shooting game. Baekhyun guesses what it is Chanyeol wants to do and gets closer to the man at the booth, paying him for a game. He’d never done this before but he hoped that his clumsy hands wouldn’t ruin it for him.

 

Three more games follow the first, and it isn’t until the very last moment that he’s able to shoot down all the rubber ducks so he can win the ultimate prize: a corgi stuffed animal. Baekhyun celebrates with the stuffed animal in hand, then shuffles closer to Chanyeol and extends the prize to him timidly.

 

“I hope that with this, maybe you’ll miss him a little less,” he says with a small shrug of his shoulders. Chanyeol is speechless as he takes the stuffed animal in his hands, his gaze going from the plush toy to Baekhyun, who smiles at him kindly.

 

Suddenly, Chanyeol takes a step towards him and wraps him in his arms, kissing his forehead. Baekhyun hasn’t a clue what is happening until Chanyeol lets go of him and looks deep into his eyes. The shorter feels the need to run, but his feet stay stuck on the ground and his eyes don’t leave Chanyeol’s. Instinctively, he closes his eyes, but instead of getting a kiss, the taller once again presses their foreheads against each other, like he’d done a few hours ago on the bus. Baekhyun, lets out a breath he’d been holding in; he can feel the trembling of his owner in that hug.

 

“Thank you, Baekhyun. You haven’t done anything other than help cheer me up even though we’ve only known each other for a few days,” he begins, smiling shyly. “Although… I still have the sensation that we’ve seen each other before.”

 

Baekhyun smiles and hides his head in the crook of Chanyeol’s neck; he can’t believe that his height is also perfect for fitting into Chanyeol’s arms. They don’t say a word in the next few minutes, and soon the two of them separate and continue walking, this time towards the exit since the sun is already setting.

 

During the ride home, they listen to music on Chanyeol’s iPod, Baekhyun resting his head on the other’s shoulder while he hums along to the songs, knowing every single one. Every now and then, Chanyeol plays with his fingers, making him laugh, and secretly, Baekhyun hopes that this moment will never end.

 

Nonetheless, it seems the God of Dogs hates him because they arrive at his stop too quickly. He’s about to get off, when Chanyeol grabs him by the arm, without looking at his eyes.

 

“Tomorrow I’ll come pick you up at nine. Is that okay?” he says, and looks at him, his eyes full of hope. Baekhyun smiles and agrees, getting off the bus after, then looks behind him to find his owner looking at him once again.




 

✧·゚: *✧·゚:* ♥︎ *:·゚✧*:·゚✧




 

When Baekkie decided to turn to the spirit in the forest in order to become human, the only thought he’d had in mind was to make Chanyeol happy. His owner had always given him everything and worried about him all the time so it only was fair that Baekhyun, now that Chanyeol was going through a rough time, returned that favor. He’d never taken into account what he would feel once he’d turned human, what would happen once he’d left behind his dog form to take a form completely different, he’d had far more important things to think about then.

 

His goal has always been the same: to make Chanyeol happy. So, why did he feel so sad when he thought that soon he’d go back to being a corgi? His goal was being completed, that was supposed to be all he needed, but now, sitting on the couch of his apartment, he couldn't get rid of the heavy feeling in his chest.

 

In ten minutes, Chanyeol would arrive and Baekhyun tries to distract his mind so that he doesn’t greet him with a sad face, but he can’t avoid the fact that his thoughts wander in tandem with what he’s feeling. In the days that have passed, Chanyeol has looked at him in a different way from when he was a corgi. If he thinks about it, Chanyeol looks at him like he had once looked at that woman, and that makes him nervous because he thinks he knows what that means.

 

He doesn’t run away from it because, although Chanyeol is his owner, now that he is human he looks him in a different way and he likes it. He likes how Chanyeol looks at him now, he likes that he jokes with him and laughs and gets nervous because of him. Baekhyun isn’t any better, he can’t get his mind off the day before when Chanyeol hugged him and kissed his forehead. The taller was nervous, but Baekhyun himself felt as though his heart would leap out of his chest at any moment, and even felt his face heat up. In fact, as he remembered it, those same sensations come back and all of a sudden he feels like running away again.

 

He’s never felt anything like this with anyone else before. Of course his heartbeat accelerated whenever Chanyeol

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter