What the Heck is Happening? A Guide to Part I

We Don't Sell Our Souls

I know I said I would post this yesterday but I had to study so, yeah. I'll probably move this to be right after Part I later, but for now it's sandwiched in between chapters in Part II. But keep in mind it's only referencing things up to the end of Part I.

 

What the heck is happening?

…. a guide to Part I of this (absurdly confusing) fanfic ….

 

Hello! And welcome! Please make yourself at home. My name is JazzOnTheRoof (a.k.a. Jazzy), and I will be your host today. Perhaps you know exactly everything that is happening in this story, or perhaps you do. If you do, you’re probably doing better than me. There are a lot of side plots, Korean names, and all around confusion (and fun![?]) going around, so I thought it would be a great idea to put everything in one place and just clarify some things. So, here we goooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

 

Institutions and Organizations and Such

Jae-Dong High: occasionally just called “Jae-Dong,” so that’s probably not helpful. This is the hellhole of a school that Naeil & co. are stuck at. While we’re on that topic, let’s clarify some things. Every single young character in this story (except Seokjin) have been to Jae-Dong, but Namjoon and Yoongi never graduated because terrible things happened and they dropped out.

 

Sa Hyeo Pa: the name of the super-sketchy but still super vaguely mentioned mob that’s getting everyone into trouble, most of the boys have been mixed up with them at some point in the past (I’m using “mob” because it’s more of organized crime than just punk gangsters like the iljin crew). They had sent 2 of their men to watch Naeil’s church because they thought it was a hideout for Buk Gil Pa.

 

Buk Gil Pa: you don’t know crap about Buk Gil Pa so just shuddup and wait (although the “Pa” in Korean does imply it’s another mob).

 

Bul-ui Agma: the “just punk gangsters” consisting some iljin who have nothing better to do with their useless lives than terrorize the students at Jae-Dong. At the beginning of this story, they were chasing Yoongi around the school because he had some package (what was in that package…[I’M NOT TELLING YOU SHUDDUP]…maybe…doritos…?). Their leader is named Shin Juyoung, and all of his followers are faceless underlings who you don’t know about except for Jungkook. They didn’t know Jungkook was related to Yoongi until later. Somehow connected to Sa Hyeo Pa.

 

 

Characters

Ji Naeil: good grief I hope you can at least keep up with the main character.

 

Hoseok: he’s like in the same grade as Naeil but a different class so that’s why they’re not in the same classroom at Jae-Dong, but they’re pretty good friends. They’re basically the same age.

 

Yoongi: Naeil’s old senior who didn’t finish his last year of high school because he had to run away from people who wanted to kill him. He’s a little more than a year older than Naeil. He has complicated feelings about Naeil. He did some bad stuff, apparently really involved with Sa Hyeo Pa. How, do you ask? I won’t tell you that. Don’t ask me.

 

Namjoon: he has a similar story to Yoongi, but he dropped out even earlier because he got in trouble even earlier. He’s sort of like the godfather of the outcast club that hangs out at his uncle’s unwanted shack by the abandoned railroad tracks. We know he’s really smart and that for some reason he doesn’t think he’ll be able to get into college even if he has the money. For the purpose of this story he’s about the same age as Yoongi.

 

Jimin: Naeil really hates this kid’s guts because she’s pretty sure he’s the reason the church got into trouble in the first place, even though Yoongi believes it’s his fault. He’s been really suspicious and withdrawn and basically he decided he won’t be with the outcast club anymore because….why did he do that again? OH WAIT I’M NOT TELLING YOU.

 

Jungkook: he’s just always in trouble because he hangs out with horrible human beings and as you guys should know, you are who you hang out with. But the people he hangs out with want to kill his half-brother so that’s pretty awkward. Then he made the iljin mad so that didn’t end well.

 

Taehyung: he seems really cheery all the time but obviously he’s dealing with some seriously not so great things. His dad probably abuses him, or his sister, or both. He loves the boys and Naeil so much and he spends a lot of time at Namjoon’s hut.

 

Seokjin: the older, cooler rich kid that hangs out with his poor people friends all the time. God knows why.

 

Shin Juyoung: the punk who leads Bul-ui Agma. It’s rumored that he’s the son of a real gangster. He mentions Sa-Hyeo Pa all the time so use your brain and make that connection.

 

Ji Jaehee: Naeil’s mother. Struggled with alcoholism for many years, got out thanks to Pastor Lee and Naeil. Loves her daughter a lot, but works all the time so they don’t get to see each other too often.

 

Lee Myeongruk (Pastor Lee): the very old but very fearless pastor at Naeil’s church takes care of everyone and everything that encounters him. A father figure to Naeil, she’s determined to keep him safe from Sa Hyeo Pa’s threat.

 

Sungchul: Naeil’s friend of many years and basically an older brother to her. They got to know each other while learning judo at the same dojo. He went with her to check out the 2 sketchy Sa Hyeo Pa guys across the street from church and almost got his head blown off of his shoulders. Thankfully, he did not have his head blown off of his shoulders.

 

 

Korean Terms

Naeil: tomorrow

 

Iljin: essentially high school gangsters, sometimes involved in acts of violence or extreme obscenity

 

Sunbae: senior

 

Dongsaeng: a younger sibling

 

Abeonim: a polite way to say father

 

Eomma: mom

 

Ttal: daughter

 

Hyung: way for a male to address an older brother (or really close/respected friend)

 

Noona: way for a male to address an older sister (or really close/respected friend)

 

Sa Hyeo: Four Tongues

 

Pa: denotes the name of a Korean gang/mob

 

Yeodongsaeng: a younger sibling who is also female

 

Seonsaeng: teacher

 

Oppa: way for a girl to address an older brother (or really close/respected friend)

 

Satoori: a Korean dialect/accent

 

Football: a sport where you kick the ball WITH YOUR FOOT IDIOTS OKAY THAT’S WHY IT’S CALLED FOOTBALL

 

Geondal: organized crime group, i.e. mafia

 

 

Well, okay then! That does it for this guide to stuff, hope it helps some of you poor souls out there. I want some ice cream so I think I’m gonna get some of that…..