Chapter 14: Truth is.

All Of Me

-3rd Person POV-

Youngjae didn’t return back to the palace until late at night (as Zelo expected) which went perfectly with Zelo and Daehyun’s plan. They made sure to eat dinner before Youngjae arrived so that afterwards everything would be in place. The King, Queen, and Princess usually went their separate ways after dinner. Their plan was quite simple as long as they didn’t get caught in the process or else they won’t be able to receive the correct information they needed.

As soon as Youngjae reluctantly entered the palace Jongup immediately snatched him and dragged him to the designated area. “Wh-What are you doing?” Youngjae asked flabbergasted, he really wasn’t in the mood for this, he just wanted to be alone.

He didn’t want to leave Ukwon, Minhyuk, nor his mother. But he knew he had to because he had to keep his word and he knew that if he were to have stayed any longer Daehyun would have definitely sent guards to find him and bring him back. He was also upset because he didn’t get to see his other friends. He ruins everything, Youngjae thought to himself.

“We’re going to the garden.” Jongup sang. “What? Isn’t it late for that? It’s dark outside.” Youngjae said. “No one tells the Queen that.” Jongup simply responded. “Bwoh?” Youngjae asked officially confused. “We are going to see the Queen and Zelo today.” He smiled.

“The Q-Q-Queen?” Youngjae stuttered not believing his ears. “Shh!” Jongup hushed pulling the elder into the bushes where Yongguk, Daehyun, and Himchan were hiding. “What’s going on?” Youngjae asked even more confused.

“You want to find out the truth? Shh…” Daehyun whispered. Youngjae looked at him bewildered but he got the hint and stayed quiet. Minutes later the Queen came out into the garden alone. Then Zelo “randomly” joined her.

“Oh…Hello Junhong.” She greeted. “Hello your highness.” Zelo bowed. “What brings you here this fine evening?” the Queen asked. “I was speaking to the King about that Youngjae kid.” Junhong answered. The Queen’s ears perked up at the sound of the name. Daehyun noticed this and watched carefully.

“…He was talking about how he saved you and the kingdom’s future.” Zelo said. “What?” Yongguk and Himchan whispered confused looking at Daehyun who still listened to the conversation intensely.

“Aaahhh. Yes…he did. He and his friends saved me from the man who was trying to take my ring.” The Queen smiled. “Oh Wow! That’s really brave!” Zelo said pretending to act genuinely amazed. “Hm…Yeh…Huh…but that was over 10 years ago. How sad it is how things changed so drastically.” The Queen lied sighing. “Oh…” was all Zelo could say. He tried hard not to make any facial expressions.

“What is this?” Youngjae whispered angrily to the speechless prince. Youngjae didn’t want to hear any of this especially from the Queen, it only made him feel more hurt and betrayed. “Well, I guess I should get going…thank you.” Zelo bowed about to leave when the queen stopped him.

“Junhong.” She said. “Yes, your majesty?” “Don’t talk to Daehyun about this…it’s an extremely sensitive matter to him.” “Okay…I won’t say anything, I understand.” And with that Zelo left the scene heading towards his next destination.

“Y-Y-Youngjae…is this…true?” Daehyun asked. He knows what Zelo told him, but he couldn’t process it…coming from his own mother. Why would she? How could she? No! She couldn’t have. Youngjae looked at him blankly. “You never let me explain myself.” He said coldly.

“This doesn’t make any sense.” Yongguk said looking at Daehyun. Himchan nodded in agreement. “It makes complete sense. It’s my parents…they never liked Youngjae.” Daehyun said, and with that he led the way to their next destination. Himchan and Yongguk followed behind. Youngjae was reluctant to go. Jongup poked the elder in his side.

Youngjae crossed his arms. “Let’s go…or else we’ll miss the show.” Jongup whispered. “What’s going on?” Youngjae questioned. “You’ll see…I honestly don’t know, but Zelo told me that there’s going to be some Grand Finale at the end…and we’re gonna miss it if we don’t go.” Jongup urged. Youngjae sighed and followed the others back inside the castle with the younger member close behind him.

Everyone hid in the room next to the left wing library with the door left wide open for them to see and hear everything. This time Junhong hid with them and Yongguk did the talking.

The King was sitting at a table reading a book with his circular shaped reading glasses. “Oh Hello your majesty. I had no idea you were here.” Yongguk said when he spotted the King. The King looked up and smiled, he always enjoyed talking to the Bang Prince. “Looking for a good book to read?” The King asked. The Prince nodded looking through one of the bookshelves.

“I was wondering…” Yongguk began. “Yes? What is it?” The King asked looking back at his book. “The other day I overheard the Princess and her majesty talking about the notorious Yoo Youngjae.” Yongguk was being careful with his words. The King closed his book and took off his glasses.

“Yes…he and his wretched friends attacked my wife just when she was on her way to visit him, and he stole her ring.” The King said shaking his head. Yongguk raised an eyebrow. Youngjae’s eyes widened.

“W-What did he say?” Youngjae could barely get out. He was in too much shock. Zelo looked at the elder sadly. Youngjae looked at Daehyun for a response, an explanation, something! “…they told me this…” Daehyun sighed. Himchan was shocked as well. “Mm…” Yongguk responded.

“He tried to ruin the Kingdom…I told Daehyun not to trust him. It was a good thing that peasant wasn’t all that smart.” The King chuckled at the last part. Youngjae took offense to that…I’m extremely smart!

Yongguk just smiled. “Well, there’s no books here that caught my eye, I should be going now. Thank you for your time.” Yongguk bowed leaving the library and joined the others. But before anyone could say anything the Queen entered the library with a tray of tea. Everyone remained silent.

“What is this?” The King asked straightening his position as she set the tray down onto the table. “A little celebration.” She nswered sitting down pouring the tea into two cups. “For what?” he questioned. “For our master palan 10 years ago.” She smiled.

“Aah~…Yes, that worked out quite well.” The king said taking his cup. “The set up was amazing.” She said proudly. “Not as good as your acting.” The King flattered. “When you told that Youngjae peasant that Daehyun was only using him and later on the raid you encouraged Daehyun to lead, Genius.” The Queen reflected.

Daehyun was hovering over Youngjae, watching. Youngjae didn’t notice him, he filled with too many emotions, more than he could handle. “And how we pretended that we were arguing.” The King added. At that moment the Princess entered. “Mother, Father…You called for me?” She bowed.

“Come sit we’re just having a little celebration about Youngjae and Daehyun.” The King informed his daughter. She obeyed and took a seat. “We couldn’t have done it without your help.” The Queen patted the 21 year old girl’s shoulder. “I’m proud that we achieved our goal so cleanly in the end.” The Princess nodded sipping the cup of tea that her mother poured her. “We’ve kept it from each of them for 10 years now.” The Queen laughed.

Daehyun was furious, he grabbed Youngjae’s wrist and pulled him, with him out of the room into the library. Youngjae was caught off balance and stumbled on his feet as Daehyun pulled him along. He didn’t even try to fight him. For once in a long time he didn’t mind being by the Prince’s side. The King, Queen, and Princess all looked up in mere surprise.

“D-D-Daehyun. Wh-What are you doing…here?” His mother gasped quickly standing to her feet. Daehyun’s sister narrowed her eyes at Youngjae who returned the look. “I heard everything…” Daehyun breathed trying to hold back his anger. “What did you hear?” The King asked a bit uneasy. “Everything!!” Daehyun shouted. “Yah! Is that how you speak to your mom and dad?!” his sister spat standing up.

“Is that how you treat your younger brother?! Is that how you treat your only son?!” Daehyun shot back, he wasn’t going to hold back anymore. “You don’t understand.” His father said. “What? I don’t understand? I wouldn’t understand because I’m not devious like you.” Daehyun spat.

Youngjae leaned closer to the emotional prince, to calm him down a little. He understood how he felt, because he felt the same way about Daehyun. “I’m sorry, Jae.” Daehyun said into the younger’s ear. “We had the right to do what we did!” The King defended.

“We were only protecting you.” The Queen added. “What do you mean you were protecting me?! He helped me with my work and learning a whole lot better!” Daehyun protested. “Prince Yongguk could have helped you. The King retored. “I didn’t know him then!” Daehyun shot. “What do you mean you were trying to protect me? Do you not know how badly that affected me? I couldn’t trust anyone for years?! I was afraid to talk to anyone!” Daehyun went on.

“I’m getting the guards.” His sister said heading towards the door. Daehyun stopped his older sibling in her tracks, releasing Youngjae’s hand. “No you’re not.” Daehyun said firmly. “Watch me.” She challenged. “I am the Prince, I have more power than you and I am in charge of the guards.” Daehyun said showing off his power, using it to his advantage. The Princess was furious by this. “Yoo! Young! Jae!” she screamed loudly.

Within seconds guards came storming into the room getting between Dae and Jae. But Zelo jumped in the way getting in between Jae and the guards who tried to hurt Youngjae.

The guards weren’t sure what to do. Junhong was considered a royal, although he wasn’t. “Get him too. He’s a traitor, when he was missing he was staying with Youngjae the whole time.” The Princess ordered. She was very smart and she knew that out of all Daehyun’s friends Junhong could be arrested, the others couldn’t without any serious repercussions. Not like she wanted to arrest the others (She had a crush on Himchan and Yongguk) but she didn’t like Zelo. “What?” The King and Queen asked in surprise, they hadn’t known, it was kept a secret from them.

The men went back to their positions pointing their swords at the two. Daehyun’s eyes widened. “He’s not a traitor. Men! What are you doing?! How dare you point your weapons at a royal?!” Daehyun yelled. The guards were confused, they didn’t know what to do. “Are you trying to put us in danger? What are you doing? He’s a traitor!” The Princess said. “Put down your swords! That’s an order!” The Prince argued.

“We are sorry your highness, but it’s our job to protect you.” The head guard apologized and walked to the two boys. The Princess smiled in satisfaction.

Just then Yongguk, Jongup, and Himchan entered the room stepping in between the boys and the guards. “We heard everything as well.” Yongguk said before the King and Queen could ask. They were speechless. The guards immediately backed up. “Junhong is not a traitor.” Yongguk said looking straight as his best friend’s sister.

He knew she liked him. She was furious and completely jealous that Prince Yongguk took that peasant boy’s side. “Yungjae simply took care of him and kept him safe…” Yongguk went on. Zelo looked at him amazed that he took Youngjae’s side as well. “Youngjae…he’s a…a good kid.” Yongguk struggled to say. Zelo wanted to jump and give him a hug, but that wouldn’t have been appropriate at the moment, so he kept his cool instead.

“How embarrassing…” Himchan joined in making the King and Queen feel shameful. “…I expected more from the royal family of this great Kingdom.” He added looking at the princess, whom was extremely embarrassed and upset at this point. The guards put down their weapons and stood back. “Go!” Daehyun ordered the guards. They obeyed him and left the library.

Daehyun looked at his friends, then at his sister, then at his two parents. “Youngjae will not be arrested, unless it’s my own order. And he will not be fired by anyone else but me.” Daehyun spoke sternly standing tall. “Fired?” The queen repeated. “Yoo Youngjae…is my personal servant.” Daehyun announced.

His family were speechless, his parents were the ones who made the rule where they were only allowed to order their own personal servants. “Jung Daehyun.” The King stood up. “Father.” The prince responded. “Is this how you’re going to act? All childish? You are the future of this Kingdom, soon you’ll be in charge of half of the Kingdom’s affairs until it’s time for you to take the throne, and you’re making a silly scene and childish decisions like this?” He said.

“If it’s silly, then what’s the big deal?” Daehyun retorted. “You don’t want to do this…you know exactly what will happen if you go on with this.” The King said angrily. “That doesn’t matter to me, all that matters is that we’re together…just like it was before.” Daehyun breathed.

“You’re wrong…It won’t be the same as last time.” The King said and with that he left the library with his wife and daughter following right behind him. Daehyun turned to face the others. “Thank-You.” He said exhausted. Then he made eye contact with a red-eyed Youngjae, who could barely shake his head.

 

-

 

-Daehyun’s POV-

“Why don’t you want to start over?” I was on the verge of breaking down. It was just Youngjae and I in my room talking, the others had left us alone to talk. I was in an emotional state, the last thing I needed was Youngjae to reject me even after finding out the whole truth.

“You don’t get it!” He burst into tears. I placed my hands on both of his shoulders. “What don’t I get?? Tell me so maybe I can try to understand.” I said desperately. “I can’t take it anymore.” He was crying. “I can’t take you doing this to me…” he went on. “Youngjae…we just found out the truth. Everything was all a lie. We can move on and go back to being with each other again. You heard it. I’m not the only one.” I begged.

“It took you 10 years to figure it out?” he said between his tears. “How was I supposed to know?!” I spat. “…I knew…” His voice got raspy. I didn’t say anything. “I always knew! You didn’t even let me explain myself.” His voice grew weaker. “So you expected me to go against my parents? Assume that they’re liars?” “No…but I expected you to at least listen to what I had to say.” His voice was horse.

Tears streamed fast down his cheek. Youngjae, don’t cry. Please. I didn’t know what to think, all I want is to be back with Youngjae…but he was right.

I slowly removed my hands from his shoulders. I didn’t know what to do, here I was watching him cry harder and harder. What was I supposed to do? What did I do to make Youngjae feel better when we were younger? It was never this hard…but then again, I never made him cry.

Suddenly the door slowly opened. “Youngjae?” someone whispered. I looked back and saw that it was Junhong. His eyes widened. “Youngjae-ssi!” he quickly came to Youngjae’s care. “Z-Zelo…” He cried. Junhong wrapped his arms around him to comfort him. I couldn’t stand the sight, so I stormed out the room slamming the door behind me.

I leaned my back against the outside of my bedroom door, laying my head back. Why am I Youngjae’s problem? What am I doing wrong? My eyes began to burn and slow tears streamed down my face. I wiped my tears away and turned my ear towards the door. “Zelo, I-I can’t do this.” I could hear their conversation.

“Youngjae, you’re stronger than this.” Zelo encouraged him. “It’s not that easy! It’s not fair! I can do anything! But it’s so hard when your emotions are being messed with. I-I don’t know what to do.” Youngjae said. “…I understand, it’s hard, but you don’t have to do this alone. Please Youngjae, listen to what I’m telling you. I will be there for you. You’re strong.” Zelo urged.

“You’re only hurting yourself by staying this way.” I heard Youngjae sniffle a couple of times before answering. “Okay…Okay Zelo. I-I’ll try.” He said gaining the strength in his voice back. “Well, you need to rest for now…can you please do that? For me?” Zelo asked. “Arasso. I’ll do it. I’ll rest for you…and my mom.”

I kicked the door out of anger. It’s not fair! I stopped listening. I was so angry, and upset, and…and jealous! It’s not fair! “Who does he think he is? Huh?” It’s not fair!! Just then the door slowly cracked open. “Dae-Daehyun?” It was Zelo.

He closed the door behind him and stood strongly. “We need to talk.” He said seriously. I glared at him, this punk. I grabbed him by the collar of his shirt and dragged him to the end of the hall. I pushed him releasing his collar. “What is it you want to talk about huh? Are you here to tell me that I’m not treating Youngjae the right way? Are you going to tell me what to do?! Huh?! Huh?! Are you his guardian angel?!” I let out in his face.

“Daehyun~…” He sighed. “No! It’s not fair! Who do you think you are? Who do you think you are being so close to him? You’ve only known him for not even a couple of months but you act as if you’ve known him forever! I’ve known him for 12 years! And I’m trying hard to get him back but he hates me as if I were his enemy since birth!” more tears streamed down my face. “Why does it matter to you?” Junhong said in a low tone.

“Wh-What?” I aksed. “Why does it matter to you that I’m close to him? You don’t like me anyway. You’re only nice to me because Yongguk asked you too. You already hate me…so why does it matter to you?!” He spat. He wasn’t crying but he looked disappointed and hurt. “Junhong…th-that’s not true.” I said.

“Yongguk did ask me to be nice to you, only because he knew I wouldn’t trust you at first. He didn’t want me to say or do anything to you because he knew you were sensitive. But I warmed up to you a little bit. I never hated you, I didn’t trust you all that much, but I never hated you.” I told him honestly.

Zelo was speechless. A small smile started to form on his face. Then he hugged me tightly. “Daehyun-hyung. I knew you were a good, soft person.” He squeezed. He has a really tight hold. “O-Okay Zelo.” I struggled to breathe.

For some reason Zelo’s happiness made me get rid of my own sorrow. I felt just as happy and relieved as he was, and an idea came to mind. Zelo let go of me and smiled with both of his hands on my shoulders. “Zelo!” I said excitedly. “What is it?” He asked just as excited. “I’ve got an idea! I said. “What is it?” He cheered. “I can’t tell you, but I need you to do me a favor.” I said. “Anything.” He said.

“I need you to watch Youngjae, while I’m gone. He can’t leave my room at all. No matter what. And you’re the only one who can be by him and talk to him while I am out.” I instructed. “Wae?” He asked confused.

“I don’t want the others getting super close to him like you already are.” I said. “Arasso!” Junhong smiled. “That’s all I need you to do thanks.” I said about to walk away. “Wait! Where are you going?” he called. “You’ll find out soon!” I called back and started running happily to my destination.

-Zelo’s POV-

When I entered Dahyun’s room I saw Youngjae asleep on Himchan’s lap. Wait! Youngjae? Asleep...on Himchan’s lap?! This didn’t make any sense. I stood there awkwardly.

Jongup sat crisscross on the floor right by the two, and Yongguk was sitting on Daehyun’s chair. I looked at Jongup and pointed at Youngjae confused. “When we came in we saw Youngjae in here, alone crying. Mother Himchan felt bad for him and wanted to comfort him, but he refused. So we waited until he cried himself to sleep and the rest is self-explanatory.” Jongup simply shrugged.

I walked over and removed the sleeping Youngjae from Channie’s lap. I propped him on my back and carried him to Daehyun’s bed. Then I tucked him in and sat beside him on the bed folding my arms. The other 3 looked at me strangely.

“What are you doing?” Yongguk asked raising an eyebrow. “Guarding Youngjae.” I simply answered. “From what?” Jongup said suddenly interested. “From you guys.” I answered. “What?! Why??” Himchan protested. “Because you guys aren’t allowed to be near Youngjae-ssi.” I said.

“Says who?” Himchan questioned. “Says Daehyun.” I smiled. “He doesn’t want you guys stealing Youngjae away from him.” I explained. “What about you?” Himchan challenged. “I’m an exception. Actually Daehyun is the exception cause I’m closer to Youngjae.” I smiled sweetly. “Wait…what about me?” Jongup said. “Sorry Uppie.” I simply smiled again. “Fine just wait…wait until he wakes up.” Jongup crossed his arms. I just laughed at him.

-Youngjae’s POV-

I slept all day, the next day. Or at least I tried to. I would peak open one eye to see if anyone was there, and every single time all of them were there (except for Daehyun). I had a dream, more like memories, of when Daehyun and I were younger.

They were pretty good times, I had to admit. Maybe, just maybe, I can try to give him another chance. But it’s hard to give someone that chance after hating them for a decade and to find out the truth 10 years later. I my side and slowly opened my eyes. It was dark now, and everyone was gone.

I remembered the letter in its fancy envelope that my mother gave me before I left yesterday. I pulled it out from inside my shirt and studied it. It must be important to be in such a fancy envelope. “Only open it when you feel like it’s the right time.” I remember her telling me when she gave it to me. “Don’t lose it…” She added. Maybe, maybe now is the right time. Maybe the letter tells me what I should do.

I reached for the seal that kept it closed, but then I froze. “You have to promise me that you won’t open it unless you are 100% sure that it’s time…” I sighed and put the envelope back in my shirt.

I weakly sat up and pulled my knees to my chest, wrapping my arms around them. I observed the dark room. Not much has changed except for some new furniture. I looked out at the balcony. The glass doors were closed, but I could see the sun setting in the dark orange, red sky. The last time I had come here was when I climbed up the wall to see Daehyun, only to have my heart broken. I heard the bedroom door slowly open.

I turned my head and saw that it was him. He closed the door behind him, locking it. He had a cart and he pushed it right beside the bed next to me. There was only one plate with a cover on it. I looked at it then back at him. His face seemed to glow from the sunlight. I quickly looked down at my feet.

“Youngjae…” his voice was hoarse. I slowly looked back up at him. He removed the lid. There was no smell. “You…need to eat.” He looked extremely tired. He knew that I hadn’t eaten all day today or yesterday. I nodded wearily. The tired Prince sat on the bed beside me. He took a fork with food on it and he carefully fed me.

I slowly chewed it, and my eyes slowly widened. I looked at him, he smiled at me softly. My eyes burned and hot tears streamed down my cheek. “You’re so cruel.” I said weakly giving him a tight hug. He wrapped his arms around me, giving me a hug too. “I was up all day and all night making it. I…I wanted to make it exactly like last time.” He was holding back his tears. I nodded in our hug. “…It…It was exactly like last time.” I said into his chest. “Dae…” I said. “Hm?” He tried. “D-Don’t do that again…Don’t send me away…e-every again…I-I had a terrible t-time.” I said squeezing him harder as if he’d never see him again.

I noticed Daehyun’s heart skip a beat. I released my hug and looked up at him. But he didn’t release his. He looked back down at me. . “You mean?” He began. I nodded smiling. “Youngjae…I…I...I’ll do better this time, I promise.” He said.

We laid back down and watched as the sun set. “…You know it’s not going to be that easy for me…” I said. “I know that’s why I’ll wait…” The sun went completely behind the horizon.