the fourth arrow.

hello from cupid.

Normally, Henry likes Mark’s company. He’s always been a constant presence and a trustworthy friend. But right now - now that he’s been laughing at him for almost ten minutes straight - not so much.

“Stop laughing.” Henry glares from his bed where he’s packing for the team building. Joonyoung’s counter argument was not really convincing since he left the party early, Jackson was passed out drunk on his couch, he couldn’t find Amber for the rest of the night and he decided to sleep off his stupidity. There really wasn’t any team left to build.

Mark continues to laugh, regardless, slapping his hand against his thigh. “I just can’t believe that the God of Love is stupid enough to get cut with his own arrow and to top it all off, has never been in love before.”

“Shut up. It was an accident.” Henry throws his pillow at Mark. Mark caught it just in time. “And it’s not like I go around wounding myself with my arrow. Especially the gold ones. Don’t you know what that means?” He angrily stuffs two blankets into his already full bag, pushing down his clothes to make it fit.

Mark throws the pillow back at him, grinning. “True. Love.” He mocks, poking Henry’s shoulder.

Henry tsks and slaps his hand away. “Shouldn’t you be worried for me? You know how dangerous this is.”

“Nah,” Mark says, chuckling as he plops down the bed. “I trust that you can bull your way out of this.”

Henry glares at him. “Does mom know?”

Mark shakes his head. “Not yet.”

Henry shoots him a look, a warning that if he says anything, he’d be dead.

Mark raises an eyebrow. “What? Regardless of whether or not I tell her, she’s gonna find out eventually.”

Henry sighs and plops next to Mark. “Do you think she’d be mad?”

“Yeah.”

Henry groans, burying his face on his pillow. “When did my life start getting this ed up?”

“When you made that talking spider fall in love with Seohyun.”

“That was a rhetorical question.” Henry smothers Marks face with his pillow as the latter continues to laugh.

 

Mark made it a point to send Henry off, disguising himself as a fly, but Henry knows he just wants to see how he’ll act around Amber. That bastard.  

“You can leave now.” Henry hisses as he gets off his car, parking it at the bottom of the mountain where they’re supposed to meet up before finding a place to camp in.

“No way, dude.” Mark, now as a fly, says with a laugh, buzzing on his ear just to annoy him. Henry tsks and tries to slap him away. “Oh, look who’s here.”

Henry looks up and sees Amber walking up to him, smiling and waving. “.” He mumbles, immediately closing his eyes tightly, as if not seeing her will magically reverse the power of his arrow.

“Sure, that’ll do it.” Mark says sarcastically as he continues to buzz on his ear. Henry ignores him.

“What are you doing?”

Henry opens his eyes at the sound of her voice and blinks repeatedly, eyes focusing on her confused face, heart beating faster as she steps closer. This would be a lot easier if she’s not cute. Okay, not really because the golden arrow doesn’t base on appearance but still.

“I-I got something in my eye.” Henry clears his throat, absolutely avoiding looking at her.

“Let me see.” Amber steps closer and he leans back, trying to have some sort of distance between them or else he wouldn’t be able to breathe. She tsks at him, telling him to stay still as she tiptoes slightly to look at his eye. He squirms and tries to get away again but Amber holds his face in her hands, giving him a warning look and Henry’s absolutely sure that his lungs forgot how to function. Love is officially trying to kill him.

Amber examines his eyes and he’s forced to look at her and endure his malfunctioning lungs. Although he’s trying to prevent this whole love fiasco from getting worse (keyword is trying), a smile makes its way to his lips as he notices how her eyes turn into the loveliest shade of brown when sunlight hits them.

“I think you’re good. I didn’t see anything.”

Henry releases his breath as Amber steps back, adjusting the straps of his bag and making sure his lungs are still working. Beside him, Mark is still buzzing.

“Hey, you have a fly hovering on you.”

“Yeah, could you please slap it off.” Henry glares at Mark and he buzzes away before Amber’s hand can reach him.

“There, it’s gone.”

“Thanks.”

“Where are the others?” Amber asks, looking around, eyes squinting from the heat of the sun. She takes the sunglasses hanging from her shirt, putting them on and Henry keeps his distance. He looks at his watch as Amber walks around to take pictures. Joonyoung and Jackson are late. He’s going to kill them.

“‘Ey,” Amber calls, phone still in hand. She walks over to him, holding the phone up, smiling. “Let’s take a picture. Smile!”

Henry is caught off guard, breath hitching when she slings an arm around his neck, leaning her head against his shoulder before taking a picture. Amber laughs and shows it to him. His mouth is open in shock, eyes wide open.

“You look like an idiot.” Amber giggles. “I’m keeping this for blackmail.”  

Before Henry could ask what would she blackmail him for, he sees Joonyoung’s car pull up and out comes the guitarist, sunglasses on and absolutely not wanting to be there. On the passenger seat is Jackson, or more evidently, Jackson’s , reaching for his stuff from the backseat.

“You’re late.” Henry glares at them.

Joonyoung slings his backpack on one shoulder and a guitar on the other. “Yeah, sorry. I didn’t want to come.”

Amber snorts from beside Henry.

Jackson comes out of the car, carrying two bags which both look like they’re going to explode anytime soon.

“What’s in the bags?” Amber asks.

“Booze, what else?” Jackson shrugs, slinging one on his shoulder.

Amber chuckles. “Well, let’s go and find somewhere to camp before it gets dark.”

 

They found a clearing nearby and they set up camp. Henry takes out his tent and watches Joonyoung and Jackson look around, waiting.

“Let’s set our tents up, come on.” He says. Amber nods and follows his suit, taking a tent out from her bag while Jackson and Joonyoung continue to look on. “Where are your tents?”

Jackson looks down, scratching the back of his neck and mumbles something. “We forgot.”

Henry feels a vein pop. “What?”

Joonyoung points an accusing finger at Jackson. “He’s the one in charge of it.”

“In my defense, we were running late and Joonyoung was rushing me!”

“Jackson Wang.” Henry growls, glaring at the bassist. Jackson hides behind Joonyoung, using his body as a shield in case Henry tries to murder him.

“Okay, calm down,” Amber puts a hand on Henry’s shoulder, effectively stopping him from lashing out because he can’t concentrate on anything else but the warmth of her hand. “We have two tents so we’ll just split up and share.”

“I’ll share with Joonyoung!” Jackson exclaims from behind Joonyoung, peeking over his shoulder to see if Henry’s still mad.

“You guys take my tent, then.” Amber says, tossing her tent to them. Joonyoung doesn’t make an attempt to catch it, letting it land by his feet. Amber rolls her eyes before turning to Henry. “You don’t mind sharing yours, do you?”

.

“U-um,” Henry clears his throat. “You’re a girl.”

Amber raises an eyebrow. “Last time I checked, yes, I am a girl.”

Joonyoung and Jackson snicker from behind Henry.

“Wouldn’t it be,” Henry gestures vaguely. “Awkward?”

Amber tilts her head to the side, as if considering his argument but she just shrugs and took his tent. “Not really. If you really don’t want to share, you can sleep outside.”

 


 

“All I ask for my last three months in this goddamn world is for it to be trouble free but nooooo,” Henry grumbles as he trek through the woods to find more food (they could have brought canned food but Kenzie insists that they go on a real camping to ‘strengthen their teamwork’). He totally caved and agreed to share the tent with Amber. He’s pissed of course, because it’s getting in the way of preventing the power of the arrow (which he knows is impossible but he’s the God of Love, maybe he can find a loophole). Up there, The Fates must be really enjoying this game.

“Stupid arrow.” He grumbles some more, picking up a stone and throwing it forcefully to a nearby tree.

“Woah, take it easy, Lover Boy.”

Hyoyeon emerges behind the tree, bow and arrow in hand, chuckling.

“Hey.” Henry greets, taking a deep breath to release some of his frustrations. “What are you doing here?”

“Out on my daily hunt.” Hyoyeon answers. “You?”

“A team building of some sorts.” Henry sighs as he sits down on a flat rock, patting the space next to him. Hyoyeon chuckles and sits down beside him.

“Hey, I heard you’re on probation.” She starts. “Good for you.”

“Oh, so the word had spread.”

“Well, it’s hard not to when Qian yelled at Siwon that you don’t need to be on probation just because he’s such a big .” Hyoyeon chuckles at the memory. That was a good day.

Henry makes a face. “That’s my mother.”

Hyoyeon pats his shoulder. “When you get back, we can all play again like the old times. You, me, Mark and my brother.”

Henry chuckles. “Oh yeah, me and Seungri used to play a game called Trying Our Very Best Not to Kill Each Other.”

Hyoyeon snorts. “We miss you up there.”

“I miss you guys, too.”

“You’ll be back in no time.” Henry’s not so sure about that now. Not until he finds a loophole for this god awful love thing. “Oh yeah, here.”

Hyoyeon pushes a bucket of fish into Henry’s hand, smiling. “Food.”

“Thanks.” Henry smiles gratefully and takes them just as Hyoyeon stands up from her seat.

“Well, I gotta go. I’ll see you soon, okay? At Olympus.” Hyoyeon waves him goodbye before running off further into the woods. Henry watches until she completely disappeared from his sight before standing up and carrying the bucket of fish back to their camp site.

When he gets back, he sees Joonyoung and Jackson sitting down the log that they found earlier, chatting. Amber is nowhere to be seen.

“Hey, where’s Amber?” He asks. Jackson looks up, cowering slightly before answering.

“She’s out looking for firewood.” He answers, scooting closer to Joonyoung. Just in case.

Henry raises an eyebrow. “And what did the two of you do?”

“We’re securing the camp.” Joonyoung says, pushing Jackson away. “You wouldn’t know when looters or bears or something would attack.”

“Right, because you could totally take on bears and looters, what with your god-like physique.” Henry answers with a roll of his eyes.

Joonyoung picks up a twig from the ground and throws it at him. It goes past his shoulder and didn’t even hurt. “I take offense.”

Henry chuckles and places the bucket in front of them. “Here, gut these.”

“Where did you get these?” Jackson asks, peeking at the bucket.

“Uh,” Henry starts, thinking of a good excuse that doesn’t involve the Goddess of Hunting. “I bumped into some hikers and they had some extra.”

They seem to buy his excuse and nod, continuing to peek at the fishes just as Amber comes back, carrying firewood. His feet seem to have a mind of their own and he rushes to help her. This is a normal thing to do, right? Friends do this for each other, right? The arrow doesn’t have anything to do with this.

“Thanks.” Amber smiles at him which makes his heart is do cartwheels inside his chest. Now that has everything to do with the arrow. Henry steps back and immediately mumbles something about starting the fire. He doesn’t even know how to do that.

“You know how to start a fire?” Amber asks with a chuckle, crouching beside him as he starts taking a bunch of firewood and fiddling with them, doing anything he can to not look directly at her.

“No.” He mumbles, embarrassed.

Amber snorts and takes over what he’s doing, taking a matchbox out of the pocket of her jacket.

“That’s cheating.” Henry chuckles.

“It’s this or starve.” Amber chuckles as well, taking the dried leaves and setting them on fire before placing firewood on top of it. When he thinks about it, he’s actually pretty lucky that he saw Amber first when he hurt himself with the arrow. It could’ve been someone worse. Like Joonyoung.

“What?” Henry breaks out of his thoughts and realizes that Amber’s looking directly at him, confused. “Do I have soot on my face?”

She starts wiping her face with the back of her hand, trying to see if there’s something on her face and Henry realizes that he had been staring at her earlier. Smooth.

“No, you’re good.” He says, grabbing Amber’s wrist to stop her from wiping her face again. “I just spaced out a little.”

Amber laughs. “Okay.”

 


 

“I wouldn’t say the bathroom of a Taco Bell the strangest place you’ve ever had in.” Joonyoung says to Jackson, stabbing the remaining fish on his plate and putting it in his mouth, chewing as he points his fork at Jackson. “You hate Taco Bell.”

“Which is why it’s the strangest place I’ve ever had in!” Jackson counters, shoving Joonyoung’s fork aside.

Henry looks on, amused while Amber chuckles beside him, taking a sip of the beer that Jackson eagerly distributed earlier. After dinner, Amber decides that since she’s new, they should get to know each other more. And Joonyoung’s idea of getting to know each other better is finding out the weirdest place they’ve had in. It’s weird and definitely invading their privacies but strangely entertaining.

“Anyways, it’s Henry’s turn.” Jackson says and suddenly, three pairs of eyes are looking at him.

Joonyoung smirks at him. “Oh, I think I know what you’re going to say.”

From the corner of his eye, Henry sees Amber lean forward, curious. “Where is it?”

“Also in a bathroom,” Joonyoung answers, wiggling his eyebrows. “Of an airplane.”

Amber gasps and looks at Henry. He turns red. “With a stewardess?”

Jackson snorts. “He wishes.”

Henry glares at him. “It’s with someone I used to...have a thing with.”

That wasn’t really his proudest moment since the poor girl was shot with a temporary love arrow courtesy of his mother as a revenge for getting himself in trouble and leaving all the work to her.

He turns his attention back to Amber who was snickering behind her hand. He pushes her lightly to stop her from laughing. “Okay, your turn missy.”

“In a fire station.” Amber answers quite proudly, grinning at them.

“Wait, you said you haven’t had a boyfriend. Ever.” Henry asks, alarmed, ears ringing as the smallest spark of jealousy starts making its way to his guts.

“Who said he was a boyfriend?”

Joonyoung nods appreciatively, chuckling as he holds his hand up for a high five. “Nice.”

“Okay, enough with the invasion of privacy.” Henry says.

Joonyoung looks pointedly at him. “You call yours an invasion of privacy? Anyone with ears knew what you two were doing in the bathroom.”

Henry throws the bag of marshmallows on his face.

They talk and invade each other privacies some more over s'mores and cheesy love songs of the 90s and more booze before Jackson almost fell on his seat as he was nodding off to sleep. They decided to call it a night, splitting up and going to their tents and Henry just remembered that he’d be sharing his with Amber and suddenly he’s having trouble breathing.

Amber’s halfway in when she turns to him and smiles shyly. “Can you stay outside for a minute? I’m just gonna change.”

Henry blinks. “Yeah, sure.”

Amber zips up the tent and Henry turns around, just to make sure that he wouldn’t see anything inappropriate or think anything inappropriate. He hears a few rustles before she zips the tent down.

“Okay, all set.” She announces. Henry turns back around and enters the tent quite reluctantly, suddenly feeling like it’s too crowded in there. He wraps himself up with his sleeping bag and opts to change there, zipping it up and quickly changing into more comfortable clothes. She hears Amber snorting.

“You could have made me wait outside.” Amber says once Henry peeks out of his sleeping bag.

“It’s fine.” Henry mumbles, face burning.

“Lame.” Amber teases, hitting him with her Stitch plush.

“Hey!”

“Goodnight, Henry.” Amber chuckles as she finally lies down to sleep.

Henry feels a smile tugging on his lips as he follows her suit. “Goodnight, Amber.”

 

Henry couldn’t fall asleep.

His heart is beating a mile per minute, hyperly aware that Amber’s sleeping right next to him. If this is what it’s like to fall in love, then he actually feels bad for the people he’d shot. This has got to be some form of torture. Why do they call this magic again?

He sighs and gets up, quietly ping the tent, careful not to wake Amber up. He sneaks off to a clearing a little walk away from the camp site. He needs to get his mind off of Amber.

He sits down on the grass and looks up. The sky is clear tonight. Perfect for flying. He glances at his back, contemplating on whether or not he should risk it but before he could come up with a decision, someone interrupted his train of thought.

“Boo!”

Henry looks up and sees a familiar eye smile and short light brown hair, a delicate crescent moon imprinted on her forehead.

“Luna.” He smiles.

The goddess of moon smiles wider and sits next to him.

“Are you allowed to go down?” Henry asks, looking up at the moonless sky.

“It’s fine. I sent the clouds to cover up for me.” Luna answers, still smiling. Henry sometimes wonders why Luna is the goddess of moon when her smiles are as bright as the sun but then again, her brother, the Sun God Zhou Mi, smiles brighter than any other suns combined.

“You don’t fly up to visit me anymore.” Luna starts, a pout visible on her lips.

Henry chuckles. “I’ve been busy.”

“Yeah. I heard you’re in love~” Luna’s pout disappears and her grin returns as she teases him, poking his side. Henry jerks to the side and slaps her hand away.

“It was an accident.”

“Nothing is ever an accident, Henry.” Luna says, chuckling. “It’s like you don’t know The Fates. While they couldn’t cut your Thread of Life, they can still weave your journey.”

“They’re weaving mine very tily, in my opinion.”

Luna giggles. “But admit it, you like it here in the mortal world.”

“I didn’t say that I hated it.” Henry chuckles. “I mean I have an enjoyable job. My friends are fun. I live in a big house.”

“And you’ve also found love.” Luna teases.

Henry grits his teeth. “It was an accident.”

Luna giggles again before they heard footsteps and she looks at Henry in slight panic before waving him goodbye and disappearing. Henry looks up and the sky is clear once again, the clouds that were covering the moon earlier now gone as it shines brighter than he has ever seen.

“There you are.”

Henry turns his head and sees Amber walking towards him. He quickly turns his attention back to the sky, trying to mask his cheeks that are slowly getting red.

“You really hate sharing a tent with me?” Amber teases as she sits down next to him. She’s close enough that he could feel her body heat. His cheeks got redder.

“What? No!” He protests. “I couldn’t sleep so I thought I’d go for a walk.”

Amber chuckles. “Not used to being one with nature?”

“I just have a lot of things in my mind.” And one of them is sitting right next to him.

Amber hums thoughtfully before fishing her phone out of her jacket and offering an earbud. Henry stares at it for a second before taking it and putting it in his ear. She presses play and a soft Chinese lullaby starts playing. He looks at her curiously.

“It’s a song my mom used to sing to me when I was a kid.” Amber explains. “I listen to it when I can’t sleep. Maybe it’ll work on you?”

Henry remembers his mother’s own lullaby and smiles. “Thanks.”

She smiles back at him, gentle, much like the lullaby. “No problem.”

They both sit in silence for a while, letting the song play on loop, both lost in their own thoughts. Luna has drawn out a lot more stars than usual and he has a suspicion that she’s teasing him again.

“Luna, calm down with the stars.” He hissed. Luna responds by making the stars brighter. Henry sighs and is about to retort when he feels something on his shoulder. He looks down and sees Amber fast asleep, leaning her head against his shoulder. Henry’s heart just automatically starts beating frantically.

He looks up at the sky in panic. “Luna, what do I do?”

Clouds start covering the moon again and then Luna’s in front of him, peeking at Amber’s sleeping form. “Carry her back to the tent, obviously.”

“What?” Henry hisses. “I can’t do that!”

Luna looks pointedly at him. “Do you have any romantic bone in your body? Aren’t you supposed to be the God of Love?”

“Yeah, I have not experienced this kind of love first hand.”

Luna snorts. “Really?”

“Does everyone just assume that I constantly hurt myself with my arrow?”

Luna shrugs. “Carry her back to the tent!”

“Okay, okay!”

Henry gently wraps an arm around her shoulder and the other going under her knees, he lifts her up, careful of not waking her. He walks back to the campsite, gently adjusting her in his arms with Luna still trailing behind them.

“Do you really have to follow us all the way here?”

Luna just beams at him, nodding. Henry sighs and makes his way to their tent, motioning for Luna to zip it down. Luna excitedly does so and waits for them to come in before climbing into the tent as well.

Henry gently sets her down her sleeping bag, smiling slightly as he kneels beside her, looking at her peaceful face. Her long eyelashes cast shadows on her cheek, her rounded button nose scrunches cutely as she stirs in her sleep. Her hand seems to be reaching for something and Henry almost gasps when she suddenly grabs his arm and cuddles it.

Luna giggles. “She’s cute.”

Henry hates to agree but she’s right.

“Henry….” Amber mumbles in her sleep and Henry freezes. “....sleep.”

“Well, I guess that’s my cue to leave.” Luna grins and disappears before Henry could say anything else and he sits there, staring at the place she was seconds ago, unsure of what to do now.

Amber whines in her sleep and tugs Henry’s arm and he almost lands on his . He sighs and reaches for his sleeping bag with his free arm, placing it next to hers with a bit of difficulty. He lies down, careful not to disturb Amber who still got an almost death grip on his arm. He sighs and turns to his side, facing her, heart threatening to leap out of his chest.

“Mmmnight.” Amber mumbles again and Henry couldn’t help but chuckle.

“Goodnight.” Henry whispers back, closing his eyes and finally letting sleep consume him. He concedes to the arrow this time. He just hopes that this will be the last.