For Life(Minseok's POV)

Spur of a Moment

It has been a long time since Minseok felt at home. The longing to breathe fresh air occupies his mind as the airplane settled down. Getting up from his seat, he heard his friends screaming out their lungs. Anticipation filled their hearts. They are finally home. After being away for almost a week because of the World tour. Their schedules are all tangled up. And Minseok felt as if rest and sleep is all he needs.

As soon as they make their way into the airport's arrival area, his friends started hitting him.

"Yah! Minseok! We're finally home. So.. Do you want to go with us later? Sehun planned on playing Battleground at the dorm. I heard you're going home to your parents. I mean, why all of a sudden? I thought you don't want to go home. You never did go home.. Unless it's for Holidays and special occasions. But why now you decided to?", Baekhyun said out loud which made all of the members look at Minseok suspiciously.

"Well.. I just thought my parents want to see me so bad. They called last night. And it's my sister's birthday tomorrow. I've been away for too long, haven't I? I think I need to make it up to them or something."

But Minseok knows that is not the only reason why he wanted to go home. He heard rumors. Saying that the man got back last week from the States. At first, he didn't believe it. Why would he be back? He's been away for years. Five long years. Without even a single news coming out on how he is doing. Or what he is getting to. 

"If you say so. When will you be back? We still got schedules filling up our sleeves. There is this variety show where we need to be guests. And endorsements. Photoshoots. Practice for the Encore. Minseok, don't forget okay?" , Junmyeon murmured at his ear. Minseok just nodded and smiled.

Their manager heard everything that they talked about. But never said a single thing. He just glanced at Minseok and smiled. Maybe he knows what he is about to do. Or why he is going home.

As they got to set foot on the aisle of the arrival area, fans started screaming frantically. All Minseok did was to smile genuinely as he looked at all the fansite representatives taking photos of him. He got excited as fans blocked them, taking videos. He loves it when fangirls looked at them with twinkle in their eyes. He loves it when girls would shove handwritten letters and gifts on their hands. Sometimes the security and their managers forbids them from getting the gifts but Minseok, stubborn and hard headed as he is, reached out to grab everything that he can. He still remembered when someone gave him a handwitten letter. With his stage name Xiumin, glittery and gold in color, engraved at the envelope. Ah, how the fan exerted effort just to make it look classy and elegant touched his heart. If only that girl used his real name Minseok.. He would've been more happy.

Chanyeol started chattering with Kai and Sehun as they wave their hands to the fans. Baekhyun on the other hand, is flirting with a very pretty girl. He's just so flirty at times when he wants to. Kyungsoo and Junmyeon are drinking out of their coffee cups while their P.As seems to be reciting their individual schedules for today. Perks of being a popular actor. Yixing on the other side looks sleepy. Sitting on a bench while he is surrounded by his body guards. The boy need to get back to China for solo projects. Minseok suddenly felt pity as he stared at Yixing's worn out face. The boy needs a break. A long one.

As Minseok wanders his eyes on the crowd, he spot something on the corner of his eye. A man standing a few feet away from him. Wearing an oversized black t-shirt, black skinny jeans and white shoes. Minseok knows who he is. The same expressive eyes. Defined jawline. High and prominent cheekbones and lips curling like that of a cat's. But his hair never looked the same. He now has blonde straight hair. With bangs just above his eyebrows. Still Minseok thinks he looks attractive. More handsome than the last time he set eyes on that beauty.

After Jongdae left the cafe, Minseok still sitted at the far corner of the shop can't bring his head up to look every time the door chime rings. He still hoped Jongdae would go back and tell him everything was a joke. His mind has it's own whirlwinds of "What ifs", "Why?" and "I'm sorry". He can never voice out everything. He never had the guts to.

His phone started ringing all of a sudden. Not looking who it is, he pressed the button.

"Ye-yes, hello-o?"

"Minseok? Are you okay? Where are you? The show is about to start. We need you here! Can you get back as soon as you can? Please hurry up. Oh- wait, Yixing is calling for me. Be safe, okay? Bye!"

Before Minseok can answer he can't, the call went off. Minseok grabbed a tissue to wipe his now flushed face. Not knowing what to do, he burst through the door. Spinning his head from left to right. He sighed loudly as he clutched his bag on his hand. He needs to go home.

Minseok found himself at the dressing room. As make up artists fix his make up and contour his face. He looked at his reflection in the mirror. A beautiful, handsome face. With dead eyes. No emotion at all can be seen through those eyes. He doesn't know why he is there. Or how he came up at the last minute of call time. He just danced and sing like he usually does. But now is not the same. He does his job with a heavy heart.

What Minseok doesn't expect was when he called Jongdae the next morning, he can't contact him. It seems as if his phone was turned off. Fear crept Minseok's heart as he dialled his sister's number. After a few ring, a voice came up.

"Minseok Oppa? Good morning! How are you? This is too sudden. You just called out of the blue! Why're you calling so early in the morning?"

"Oh. I'm just fine. Ah.. Can I ask you something?"

"Oh sure! What is it?"

"Can you talk to Jongdae for me? I called him a couple of times. But I can't seem to get through. We need to talk. So please, do me a favor?"

"Ah.. Oh my god. Minseok? What is happening? Don't you know? Jongdae left last night. He came here and talked to Mom and Dad. I didn't heard anything but I swear he looked really sad. Dad gave him something which he never accepted. He hugged me so tight and told me to take care all the time. I thought he's just leaving for a vacation so I didn't ask why..."

Minseok felt like his heart shatters into a million pieces. Without thinking, he bombarded his sister with questions.

"Wha-what? What did-did he said? When is he coming back-k? Where did he-he go? Why did he left without telling me-me? No.."

"He didn't tell us Oppa. I don't know what conversation he had with Mom and Dad. You better ask them. Just like that.. He just walked out of the door after leaving something in your room.."

Minseok was lost for words. Tears pouring down on his face as he stare at the box Jongdae left at his room. It has all their memories together. The polaroids that are kept in an album. The shirts that they used to wear whenever someone was to stay the night at their houses. They love to use each others shirts so much.. The letters are settled at the bottom of the box with a red ribbon tightly wrapping them altogether. What broke Minseok more was a small black box.. Inside was the Cartier Love necklace that he gave to Jongdae before their group's debut day. The necklace has double rings, tangled together with Swarovski crystals shining on both rings. It has a small note attached below that box cover. Written in a fine, clean handwriting the note says:

"I'm giving you back this necklace. I love this one. I treasured it so much like how I treasure you. If we meet again someday, and I see you wearing this necklace that means you still love me. And you want me back.. But if not, I want you to keep this in a tight sealed treasure chest. Bury it outside your garden, at the cherry tree. Put this words "Jongdae's life" in a paper and put it inside the chest too. I would find it and take it when I get back. Then I would let our love go. Please, don't forget about me. I love you so much Minnie.."

"Minseok's star, Kim Jongdae"

Minseok traced the necklace's double rings. He put it on. Look at himself at the mirror. And cried his heart out all night. Quietly sobbing as the pain engulfed him through the night.

Days passed, Minseok got on with his life. With their group becoming more and more popular, he rarely has time for himself. He kept himself busy. As busy as he can to forget.

And that was the day he stopped dreaming about Jongdae. That was the day he realized the boy was right. If they are for each other, they will meet again. Love will find a way. And that was the last memory he had related to love. He never fell inlove again. He never can.

Minseok found himself keeping an eye contact with the man for a while. Until he finally managed to smile. A weak one. Yet contented as he can be. The man seemed surprised, but later on he waved his hand and smiled. That smile Minseok misses the most. And he found himself smiling more. He nodded his head once and turned to leave.

Minseok knew Jongdae was still looking at him. He knew that gaze. He's still the same. Minseok continued walking until he reached the van that will take them home. His friends arguing about where to eat and what to buy later. He found himself returning his eyes on the airport's entrance. There, he saw Jongdae with his back facing the door. Walking away like he needs to. 

Minseok felt at peace. Funny how he never felt hurt. Nor neglected. He is happy that Jongdae seems to be fine. After years of not seeing each other, he seems healthy. Yet still the same attractive, y Jongdae from the past.

Minseok reached his hands on the neckline of his white polo. He touched the silver pattern of the accessory and the rings as it's pendant. And yes. He's still wearing the necklace. He always have. He never forgets. For he know someday they will meet again.

If Jongdae only knew that he was wearing the necklace, would he take him back?

If Jongdae only saw him wearing it, would he say "I still love you, Minseok"..

Questions filled his mind. But he shoved them away. He decided on this and he will go on.

He will be loving Jongdae for life. For his love is only for Jongdae. Maybe someday they can be more than that.

He got on inside the van and sat next to the window. His friends still talking out loud as the vehicle hit the road. Minseok pulled out his earphones and put each bud on his ear. The music playing is titled "For Life". And the song reminds him of one person. A person he wants to be with.

Right then and there, Minseok decided he should do something. Before he regrets everything.

Minseok founds himself infront of Jongdae's house. He knew the man is there. For he can hear the piano playing and a sweet voice singing. He looked at the window. With his hands on his chest he pushed the doorbell. Minutes later, a man opened the door. Went to the gate and looked at him surprised. 

"Mi-Minseok?"

Minseok stared at Jongdae memorizing his face as he took out the necklace he was wearing under his hoodie. Minseok never missed the way Jongdae stood there shocked, wide eyes as he stared at the silver rings shining as the moon's light hits them.

Finally, Jongdae smiled as tears stream down his face.

"Welcome home, Minseok."

Right there at that moment, Minseok knew this is the life he wants to have. With the moon shining brightly on a dark sky. As the cherry blossom trees danced their pink leaves in the air. Minseok knew he was at home. Jongdae is his home.

Years may pass, they meet new people along the way.. But there is one person who will always be special to their hearts. And now they can continue their love story.. Again.

Jongdae will always be Minseok's star. His one and only star. Always and Forever. For life.