The Fateful Encounter

Friends or Foes

Seulgi came home to the apartment to find Irene lying on the sofa, eyes glued to her phone screen. Wendy is playing her guitar in her room again, singing her rendition of Jessie J's Who You Are. As she was entering her and Wendy's room to put all of her stuffs, Seulgi saw Irene giggling at herself. Seulgi chuckled then share a knowing look with Wendy.


  Irene:

One of my bestfriends just came.

Jinwoo:

Wendy or Seulgi?

Irene:

Seulgi. The one who work in Domino's Pizza with me.

Wendy has come home earlier.

Jinwoo:

So you live in apartment with them?

Irene:

Yup. Wendy and Seulgi share a room together.

I have my own room, but I frequently share it with Yeri or Joy when those 2 come to hang out here.

Jinwoo   :

Who are Yeri and Joy? Your other friends from SM?

Irene:

They're the daughters of Mr. Lee, my dancing coach.

W e're so close and they frequently spent their time here. They're still high school students.

Jinwoo:

I see.

So, what are you up to next week?  o(≧∇≦o)

Irene:

I will be very busy next week, I might not have time to reply your messages :)

Jinwoo:

Oh.. You will be busy with work?

Irene:

Well, yeah. Should I told you a big news? ;)

Jinwoo:

What is it?

Irene:

My information is not free. You must tell me information about you too. Fu fu fu

Jinwoo: 

What kind of information?

Irene:

Tell me the naughtiest thing that you've ever done. 

Jinwoo:

Eh?


 

Seulgi has changed her clothes and now sit on the sofa to watch TV. Wendy came to join them.

"There's something happened today in Domino's Pizza and it's concerning you, Irene", Seulgi said while keep switching TV station with the remote control. Curious, Irene shifted her gaze from her phone screen to Seulgi's face. "What happened?"

Seulgi look at her with mischievous smile, "Several handsome customers came looking for you."  Irene furrowed her eyebrow, "Who?"

Seulgi just shrugged, "I don't know. There's 3 of them. They were looking suspiciously at all the girls in Domino's Pizza. Then I heard one of them said, 'there's no Irene here'. Well, it's not the first time men come looking for you. Your beauty is renowned in this area. They don't seem to be from this area though."

Wendy teased, "Oh, could it be Mr. Jinwoo is among them? He knew that you work part-time there. You said he also had part-time job in Itaewon, right? Maybe he secretly spies on you after his work shift?"

Irene's eyes bug out. She fanned out her hand, "No no no. I don't think so. He said he didn't work today since he must practice since morning." 

Wendy continue to , "O ho. So you even memorized his schedule?"  Irene stuttered, "It.. It's not that I deliberately memorized it or something. My memory is just that good."  

She hesitated for a moment before asked, "By the way, what do they look like?" Seulgi turned off the TV and let out a small laugh, "All 3 of them are above average! Tall and handsome! I almost envy you. They give me bad boy vibes though."

Irene replied, "Just that? Tell me more".

"One of them had a thick and y red lips. The other one is so tall and intimidated, but at the same time give you a cute impression. The last one especially looks manly. Tanned skin, broad chest, great white teeth, with a gaze that looks like can set you on fire, unfortunately with a questionable fashion choice."

Seulgi continue and teased, "Is there anyone that match the image of that Jinwoo boy in your mind?"

Irene blushed, "I barely know anything about him to already form an image".

"Eh, don't lie", Wendy smirked at Irene's remark. "You're actually dying to know what he looks like, don't you?"  She wink at Irene who quickly slap her arms, "It's time for the real question. What would you do if one of those 3 guys are Jinwoo? Seulgi said they're handsome."

"Seriously, Wendy. I just know him for a week."

"You mean, 'I just know him for a week but I like him already', right?"

 Irene felt embarrassed and put her hand on her face. Wendy started singing Jessie J's Domino while dancing teasingly. 

~Rock my world until the sunlight~
~Make this dream the best I've ever known~

Irene chased her to make her stop.

~Dirty dancing in the moonlight~
~Take me down like I'm a domino~


Irene catches Wendy and start tickling her. Wendy's laugh echoed to the whole room. "Stop it... Ha ha ha.. Stop it. If you don't stop, I'll tickle you too!"

Seulgi laugh at the sight of Irene and Wendy's tickling battle. Both of them panting from laughing and tickling each other.

Irene suddenly stand up and took her phone. "Ups. I forgot that I'm in the middle of conversation with Jinwoo"


Jinwoo:

The naughtiest thing that I've ever done......

Hmmm....  

I was the hard working type.

I tried and practiced extremely hard for a performance, but one of my lecturer said, 'It doesn't matter how hard you try. The results have to be good.'

For a person who's trying really hard, that's really miserable to hear.

So I've written down his name on a Death Note.

Jinwoo:

Irene?

Irene:

I'm sorry it took me forever to reply. I just had a small talk with my friends here

Jinwoo:

No problem. Girls talk?

Irene:

Girls talk. And a battle of tickling with Wendy.

Don't worry, I come out from the battle unscathed. 

Jinwoo:

I've told you the naughtiest thing that I've done.

So, tell me that big news you want to told me earlier.

Irene:

O ho ho.

That's the naughtiest thing you've ever done?

If I 'm harsh to you, would you put my name on Death Note too?

Jinwoo:

I won't :)

Irene:

Why?

Jinwoo:

I don't even know your real name. How could I put it on a Death Note? 

I'm kidding. :)

I really won't put your name there even if I know your real name. 

Death Note is not real anyway.

Irene:

Tell me your real name, I'll tell you mine.

Jinwoo:

My name is Jinwoo. Kim Jinwoo.

Irene:

Okay. Now that I know , I will put your name in a Death Note if you dare to hurt me.

Jinwoo:

꒰๑•̥﹏•̥๑꒱

There will be no need for you to  do that.

Because I'll never hurt you :)

So, what's your real name? Is it Irene?

Irene:

No. Irene is my stage name. You will know about my real name soon.

Jinwoo:

That's not what you promise earlier  。゚・(>﹏<)・゚。

Irene:

I just promise I'll tell you about my real name. I don't promise when ;)

Jinwoo:

o(╥﹏╥)o

Irene:

Aww.. Don't be sad. You will know about it soon. Really soon.

As promised, I'll tell you the big news that I just get this afternoon.

Jinwoo:

What is it?

Irene:

I passed the audition. I will star in a webdrama.

Jinwoo:

Oh, wow! Congratulation! (*•̀ᴗ•́*)و ̑̑

Which webdrama is that? I'll make sure to watch it!

Irene:

He he he. The title is "Female Employees of a Game Company"

The shooting will be next week. That's why I told you I'll be busy.

  Jinwoo:

Wow. Is it about game? I love game!

Okay then. I also have big news.

Irene:

What is it?

Jinwoo:

I have been cast for a role in a musical  theater

Irene:

Congratulation! Good luck!!

What musical theater is it?

  Jinwoo:

It's a play called "The Little Prince"

I'm actually too shy to tell you this.

Because it's my first major musical theater.

Irene:

I feel the same way too.

 Isn't it strange?

I'm so excited, but also afraid.

This is my first time to act in a webdrama.

Jinwoo:

Same.

I'm so happy, but at the same time I question myself, "What if I screw up?"

Irene:

I just know you for a short time, but I'm sure you won't screw up.

Jinwoo:

Why would you sure about that when I myself isn't sure? 

Irene:

Because you've work hard and hard work never betray.

Jinwoo:

Thank you. I'm sure you're going to do an excellent job with your webdrama too.

By the way, please tell Seulgi my friend said hello

Irene:

What?

Jinwoo:

 Do you remember when I told you about my friends?

Well, one of them went to Itaewon to hang out with his friends today.

He told me he had lunch in Domino's Pizza Itaewon and saw a very beautiful lady named Seulgi, but he's too shy to say hi.

Then I remember you have told me about her before.

Irene:

What a coincident.

Which one of them?

I'll told Seulgi about him.

Jinwoo:

It's Mino. One of our Dumb and Dumber duo.

The one who self-proclaimed he's the most masculine among us.

Irene:

What does he look like?

Jinwoo:

I think the most distinctive features from him are his thick eyebrow, tanned skin and his smile.

He has such great white teeth.

He has such a nice hip line too.

Irene:

Wait, hip line?

You have eyes for unusual things.

Jinwoo:

A ha ha. Is it strange?

If you saw my friends in this apartment, you can't help to notice things like that.

They're all fine specimen.

I swear people might think they're all models.

Irene:

If I saw you, would I think you're a model too?

Jinwoo:

Sadly, I'm the shortest one.

But maybe I'm the most handsome among them?

He he he

Irene:

You make me curious~  

Jinwoo:

You make me curious too ~


 

Irene let out a little laugh. "Seulgi, something unbelievable just happened."

Seulgi raised one of her eyebrow. "What is it?"

Irene replied, "One of the guys that you've told me earlier said hello to you. It turns out he is Jinwoo's friend".

Wendy whistle teasingly to Seulgi that excitingly replied, "Oh. Which one of them?"

Irene smirked at her, "The one with thick eyebrow, tanned skin and great white teeth. By the way, he said you're beautiful. "

Seulgi flustered, "So he's Jinwoo's friend? That's why he was searching for you. What's his name?"

"His name is Mino. So what's your reply?"

"Tell him I say hello too".

"Just that?"

Seulgi blushed a little bit. "To be honest, he's kind of hot. Should I give my SNS account to him? I don't know if he's my type or not, but I love boy who eat well and he obviously love food."

Irene asked, "Is he that hot? I'm curious. Jinwoo said he himself is the most handsome among them."

"I'm serious. He's a hottie. If this Jinwoo guy is even more handsome, then I just can say 'wow'."

Wendy suddenly butted in. "I really want to ask you something. You've been chatting with this Jinwoo guy for a week, right? Don't you guys want to meet up?"

Irene thought about Wendy's question. Am I ready to meet him yet?

Wendy continued, "I mean, both of you work in Itaewon. It's not that hard if you guys want to meet with each other."

Irene shakes her head, "He hasn't asking to meet me yet. I'm a bit shy to ask him first. Beside, I'm still a little bit scared to meet with someone that I just know. He sounds like a good man, but who knows?"

Seulgi suggested, "Why don't we collect more information about him first?"

"How?"

"For example, a place that he frequently visit? Who knows we might know something if we come to that place. Like people's impression about him and so on."

"Hmmm... All I know is he frequently come to his college. He did mention he used to be in a dance studio called Sydooney though."

Wendy advised, "That's it! Why don't we go to that place? We can just pretend to be interested to join the dance class."

"Unfortunately that studio is a bit far from here."

"Wait, you actually have thought to go there? I don't expect that." Seulgi hooked her arm around Irene's neck and leaned to her closer.

"Irene felt like she's been caught in doing something embarrassing and start stammerng, "It.. it.. It's not like that. It's just because I like dancing so naturally I want to check it."

Seulgi and Wendy give her a knowing look. "Sure".

"I need to tell Jinwoo you say hello too to Mino", Irene nervously free herself from Seulgi then back to her phone. 


 

Irene:

Seulgi said hello too to Mino

Jinwoo:

Actually, Mino started complaining at me because I told you he say hello to Seulgi.

But I think he will be glad hearing her reply.

Irene:

Good.

Seulgi will kill me if she knows I told you this.

But she said Mino is hot.

Jinwoo:

He might be goes over the moon if I tell him this.

Irene:

By the way, I need to help Wendy to cook for dinner.

See you later.

Jinwoo:

See you later too.

 


It's not hard for Irene to find information about musical theater which Jinwoo will perform. There's not that many musical theater in production and this theater company is the most famous one in Seoul. Jinwoo is the one who act as the main character. She didn't expect that. It's been over a month since Jinwoo tell her about this musical. She want it to be a surprised so she didn't tell Jinwoo that she has persuaded Seulgi and Wendy to watch his performance with her. Now all 3 of them is in this hall.

After they pass the ticket check, some employees hand out the booklet of the performance. All 3 of them enter the hall and sitting according to their ticket number. Irene read the booklet carefully. It has story about the theater company, history of production and about the musical that they will perform today.

"Irene, look!" Seulgi pointed out at the list of performers in that booklet. Irene eyes widen when she saw it.  

"The Little Prince". Irene murmured when she first saw a picture with caption "Kim Jinwoo". She looked at it in awe. Wendy give a little nudge with her elbow to Irene, "Wow, he looks pure and innocent like an angel!" Seulgi grinned, "From this picture, he give me the same vibes as you." Irene just blushed at her bestfriend's comments.

When the musical started, Irene feel her heart pounded and her hand began to feel clammy against her bouncing knee. She's excited to see what kind of performance that Jinwoo will present. The first one to appear is the Pilot that tell the story of when he was young. Then his plane crashed and he met with The Little Prince. Jinwoo show up in a green outfit and yellow scarf. His blonde hair made him looks like someone from foreign country and he looks tantalizingly attractive. His moves are mesmerizing and his voice is soft and full of warmth. By the time the musical end, the audience give standing applause. Irene notice that Jinwoo looks happy and smile a lot in the curtain call. When she saw his smile, she feels on the verge of getting swept off her feet entirely.

People started to go out from the hall, including Irene, Seulgi and Wendy. Just outside the performance hall, Irene stopped in her track and look troubled. Seulgi saw Irene's expression and suggested, "Why don't you send him message that you're here? He might invite you to the backstage and you can meet up there." 

Irene shakes her head. "He must be busy and doesn't have time to check on his phone. I don't want to disturb him." She continued, "Moreover, I just come here to watch his performance because I'm curious about him."

Wendy teased, "And what do you think about him now?"

Irene smile sheepishly, "Well..."

Her response is disturbed by a notification on her phone. She check it out, astonished by the unexpected message from the dating app.


  Jinwoo:

I just finished my first performance in the musical theater.

I was so nervous but I think it's turn out okay.

What are you doing now?


 

Irene unconsciously bite her lower lips, wondering how she should reply. Seulgi and Wendy exchange confuse looks. Irene hesitate for a while before finally type her message.


 

Irene:

You failed to mentioned that you could sing like an angel.

That was an amazing performance.


 

Irene shift her gaze from her phone to look at her friends who look curious.

"He just message me."

Seulgi and Wendy giggling excitedly. 

Another notification just came.


Jinwoo:

Irene, are you here?

Irene:

Yup.

Jinwoo:

Let's meet up if  you don't mind.

Are you want to?

Irene:

I want to if you're ready.

Jinwoo:

Where are you? I'll pick you up


 

Irene text her location. Her heart fluttered from nervous anticipation. Some negative thought rushed through her head. What if the real Kim Jinwoo is different with Kim Jinwoo persona that text me? What if he doesn't like me? Now that she finally will meet face to face with him, she suddenly feel all of this was a little bit ridiculous. She barely knows this guy yet she's getting all flustered. For the first time in a while, Bae Joohyun is afraid she will fall easily.