Life and Chance

Friends or Foes

"In the end, we just regret the chances we didn't take"

 

"Listen Jinwoo hyung. I just did something brilliant to get rid all of your problem", Seungyoon said while turning his head towards the older boy.

Jinwoo startled by the sudden statement of his roommate. Just some minutes ago, Seungyoon's eyes was fixed on the screen of his laptop while Jinwoo was watching the latest romance drama.

"What do you mean Seungyoon? I don't think I have problem that I want to get rid of. There's no difficult things happened in my life lately. Everything is bussiness as usual".

"That's the problem!" Seungyoon pointed out at Jinwoo. Then he fanned out his hand for a dramatic effect, said "Nothing. Happened. In your life".

Jinwoo let out a sigh. "So, what did you just do?"

With a goofy grin, Seungyoon confidently spout out, "I just tried to get you a girlfriend by setting up your profile in a dating website".

"You did....what?" Jinwoo almost laugh at the nonsense that Seungyoon spewed out, if only not because the sincere look Seungyoon has when he said it.

"Me? A girlfriend? Why would you think having a girlfriend will solve my problem? I'm a happy individual".

"SureYou could've fooled anyone with all those moping around whenever you watch a couple in our campus", Seungyoon said while continue to type on his laptop.

"By the way, dating website are for lonely people that is busy with their lives or shy people that had a hard time to interact with other people. Definitely not for me."

"Jinwoo hyung, I mean no offense in setting up this profile for you. I know Jinwoo hyung's visual is second to none in our college and there's so many girls chasing around you so you probably don't need this. I just think we can spice up your life! Jinwoo hyung doesn't like to go to party, right? So it's not frequent that you meet someone new.  Who knew if you can meet someone interesting in this? If you don't like it, we can just delete it".

Jinwoo move his hand to rest at the back on his head. "I always dream a romantic meeting with a special someone. You know, like those that happened in romance drama. The occurance where your meeting with her seems like fate. I never dream to find my special someone in a dating site."

There's enough girls paying special attention to Jinwoo. But somehow he often feel that those girls only attracted to his looks. When they start having actual conversation with him, those girls act like he was boring.

Maybe I am indeed a boring guy.

Jinwoo heaved himself up from the couch and walking closer to Seungyoon. "Well, what's done is done. Let's take a look at my profile that you just make".

"The point of dating websites are to look for someone that match your preference. So I have written your interest, likes and dislikes. I haven't set your profile pic though. I thought I need your permission first so I haven't upload anything although I have so many pictures of you."

"Keep it that way Seungyoon. There's no need for profile pic".

"Well, with a face like that you will attract too many weird people & maybe the message box will explode".

Jinwoo read all things that Seungyoon fill in his profile. All of them are accurate. As expected from his roommate for almost 3 years. There's 4 people living in their apartment of 2 rooms. Jinwoo & Seungyoon share a room while Mino and Seunghoon share the other one. All of them are so close they knew each other so well.

After approval from Jinwoo, Seungyoon posted the profile and get the dating website to find Jinwoo's match.

"We just need to wait. The website will calculate your result to match you up. Let's hope it works."

After a while, there's a flashing icon on the screen.

"Uh oh. You got a match!"

Seungyoon clicked the profile that dating website suggest.

"Hmm.... Her name is Irene".

With a throbbing heart full of anticipation, Jinwoo read her profile. She also doesn't put a profile picture.

Maybe she's a shy girl? She is the same age with me.

Her height is 161 cm. Her weight is 44 kg. Wait, that's so slim! Jinwoo can't help to wonder that if this girl doesn't lie, she might have a body like those idols on TV.

"She says she loves modern dance and acting! Wow, Jinwoo hyung! She's similar with you", Seungyoon read while bounce giddily. Jinwoo blushed and get even more excited.

She also loves games!

Well, this is getting interesting.

The more Jinwoo read her profile, the more he thought he will have many things to talk about with her. They have many things in common.

"She likes everything that smell nice, and cleaning, and....... wait, she loves washing and ironing clothes? That's a little bit weird", Seungyoon wear a confused looks with perched brow. "I mean, who love to do things like that in this day and age?"

"She sounds just like the dilligent type of girl. Nothing weird" Jinwoo smile at Seungyoon.

"Well, if Jinwoo hyung said so."

They continue to read.

"Ow ow... I think I have found something. She doesn't like chicken! It's her less favorite food".

Jinwoo raised one of his brow, as his favorite food is chicken wings. Chicken is tasty. Chicken is life. Well, everyone just has different taste after all.

From what she put in her profile, it seems her type is a perfectly good guy.

She likes someone who kind and gentle. Check. Everybody think Jinwoo is a nice guy. Well, everyone who haven't seen his dark-Jinwoo persona. Jinwoo's smiling. I'm 99,99% a cinnamon roll. The other 0,01% can kill though.

She doesn't like someone who smell bad. She love a clean man. Check. Jinwoo take a bath twice a day and has a tidy room.

She doesn't like someone who smoke? Check. Jinwoo doesn't smoke.

She doesn't like someone who drink excessively. Uh oh.

She grow up in Daegu and move to Seoul after finished high school. She write that she's a student in an art college, same like Jinwoo.

Huh, maybe we attend the same college?

The thought send chill to Jinwoo's spine. He doesn't want people to catch him lurking around in a dating websites. He's going to be so embarrassed if his colleague find out about this.

Should I change the name in my profile?

"Jinwoo hyung, what do you think? Wanna say hello to her? Send message?"

"She's an Aries".

"So?"

"I'm a Libra"

Silence.

"So?"

"We are on the opposite site of each other zodiac. Our relationship will be a rocky one. We might become the best of friend or worst of enemy".

"Relationship? What relationship? You haven't even talk to her yet."

This is what Seungyoon hate from Jinwoo. Somehow, it seems like Jinwoo reluctant to take opportunity, particularly in term of romantic relationship. On the outside, Jinwoo seems like a nice and friendly guy. However, for unknown reason he never opens his heart to anyone. With his looks, no one will suspect Jinwoo never even had a girlfriend. Seungyoon always wonder whether someone ever hurt Jinwoo so bad in the past, he end up not trusting anyone with his heart. But Jinwoo never talk about this topic. Not even to Seungyoon.

Seungyoon let out a year's worth of sigh. Well, I know exactly what it feels like to be betrayed. So I can understand it a little.

"Don't believe things like that hyungOur romance life isn't controlled by horoscope. It's up to us whether the seeds grow up and blossom into beautiful flower or become withered away."

Jinwoo looks into Seungyoon's eyes. His lips smile reassuringly. Seungyoon's beautiful lips that's worth to be Korea national treasure.

"I will message her."

Jinwoo try to type something on the website, but nothing comes right. He bites his lips thinking something to say.

"What I should say?" Jinwoo's deer eyes pledge Seungyoon to help him.

I'm never good with words. I'm not eloquent like Seungyoon, Seunghoon or Mino.

"Just ask her what's up".


Hello, I'm Jinwoo

The website suggest me your profile and I think we have a lot things in common :D

I hope you won't mind to chat with me :)


 

"How about this?" Jinwoo showed what he just type to Seungyoon.

"It's alright".

Jinwoo's heart is threatening to burst forth from his ribcage. He try to calm his heart down by taking a deep breathe.

After read the message again, Jinwoo clicked send.