ignite a match

puff of heaven

the lonely lamppost casts orange hues over the equally lonely cranny behind the library.

nayeon takes her usual turn, walks through the bush, and into the single place she’d call a comfort zone in the university.

it is some time after 10 in the evening, and the december breeze is determined on making nayeon regret getting herself stuck in the library again, trying to tend to subjects and courses that she has abandoned over the semester.

 

she squats down, almost hugging her knees, before she brings the cigarette to her lips. her cold fingers look for the lighter she always has stashed in one of her pockets. when they come in contact with the plastic frame, she heaves a sigh and pulls it out. her back finds the wall, and she leans on it, the cigarette still tucked between her lips.

it’s freezing, and nayeon scolds herself for failing to wear something that would protect her from the icy weather.

the nicotine stick is still unlit; nayeon doesn’t know what she’s waiting for to ignite a light and inhale her relief. one that comes in the form of burning toxins and pastel breaths.

 

the sound of footsteps and rustling of fallen leaves breaks her trance. she doesn’t bother to hide what she’s holding, and she looks up, her eyes meeting a familiar navy blue fabric.

 

“may i join you?” the intruder asks, modesty marking her tone.

“sure,” nayeon assures, dropping her gaze before she meets the girl’s eyes.

 

mina stands a few feet away from her. she leans against the wall; and from the corner of her eye, nayeon can see her pull a packet of cigarettes from her jeans’ pocket. she pushes the cover up with her nose, and uses her lips to pull a stick. she then stuffs it back into the same pocket, and pulls a matchbox. she grabs a match, and swiftly strikes it against the concrete wall. only then does she use her right hand, as she covers the vulnerable flame and pulls it closer to her cigarette.

she doesn’t put it off, instead, she leans closer to nayeon, who still has her cigarette between her lips, begging to be set on fire.

they don’t exchange words. nayeon puts her lighter back into the pocket of her sweatshirt, and brings up her hand to help mina cover the burning match. their hands touch, and mina flinches a little at how cold nayeon’s is. but the latter doesn’t notice. she takes a breath, watches the paper burn, coming to life to perish.

 

the younger girl pulls back. she whips her hand to put off the flame, and doesn’t throw the wooden stick away.

 

“it gets a bit eerie here sometimes.” mina breaks the silence, before she takes another drag of her cigarette.

 

“is that why you-,” nayeon interrupts herself, holding back a question that might come off rude.

she hears the other girl giggle. “followed you? yes.”

“i also thought you might need a hoodie,” she adds, grabbing nayeon’s attention enough to make her look up. it’s for the first time that the latter notices the hoodie dangling from mina’s arm.

she can’t help the smile that creeps on her face. she stands up, and takes the hoodie from the younger girl, shyly thanking her for her courtesy.

 

“i’ll hold this for you,” mina suggests, ushering at the stick between nayeon’s fingers.

the latter thanks her again, carefully passing her the cigarette as she grabs the hoodie with her free hand.

wrapping it around her body, she feels a bit warmer, and her smile subconsciously grows.

like a déja-vu, nayeon leans against the wall, mirroring mina’s position.

they stand in silence for a while, during which, nayeon finds herself drowning in the soft scent of mina’s hoodie; jasmine . it is sweet, exactly what you would imagine myoui mina to smell like. however, nayeon couldn’t ignore the subtle touch of smoke lingering in the piece of clothes.

mina speaks up again, “you sure as heck don’t dress enough for december.” she comments, and nayeon can hear the smirk in her voice.

 

“i don’t really like having too many layers..” the older girl answers. she inhales, throws a glance at the girl -who is staring into the distance, as far as the wall allows her to-, and exhales the foggy smoke.

she’s thinking of something, anything, to keep the conversation going; and she thanks the lords when the other girl speaks again.

“i don’t really see you around, except for exams weeks.” mina deadpans.

“yeah, i’m not a fan of coming to school,” nayeon chuckles then adds, “but i end up regretting it throughout the coffee cups, energy drinks, and sleepless nights, trying to catch up to months’ worth of classes.”

“then maybe you should party less, and study more.” nayeon’s sudden burst of laughter takes her by surprise. she frowns, unable to pinpoint what exactly was funny about what she said. if anything, mina thought the older girl would be offended by it.

she’s staring at the girl in confusion, waiting for her laughters to die down; anticipating an explanation to the joke she has missed.

 

“i’ll keep your advice in mind for the next semester.” the older girl deadpans, coughing a little. she bites back the comeback she has in mind. “people who have it easy always know what to say, it seems.”

 

//

 

“why are you dressed like you’re on your way to rob a bank.” jeongyeon teases from the dining table, checking her housemate from head to toe; black hoodie, ripped skinny jeans, a pair of worn out sneakers. to top it off, she’s wearing a black ball cup, and a face mask of the same color is hanging from her right ear.

“my selling kidney deal got canceled and i need the money.” nayeon grimaces, walking over to sit across from the girl, a cup of coffee in her hand.

“and how will i survive without your coffees and your food when you’re rotting in jail?” jeongyeon pouts, earning an eyeroll from the older girl.

“maybe it’ll give you the guts to ask that hopeless crush of yours out and, i don’t know, get her to move in, and maybe get married and, you know..”

“or learn how to cook.” nayeon adds.

“we drift off the main topic rather fast,” jeongyeon comments, munching on a big bite of her cookie. “i don’t understand why you dress like this going to school.”

“use your brain for once, yoo.” the senior sighs. “no one talks to you if no one recognizes you. get it?”

“so,” jeongyeon carefully starts, “you just slip into the shadows?” she asks, to which the older girl nods with a smile plastered on her face. “teachers?”

“they got used to this. plus, they don’t bother as long as i get good grades and don’t disrupt the flow of lessons.”

“you almost never go to school anyways, why bother attending now?” jeongyeon asks, sipping the last of her coffee.

“literature lectures, hot lecturers. i can’t miss out on these.” nayeon smirks. she puts the cup in the sink and heads to the foyer to put on her shoes. “dishes are all yours today. enjoy, darling.”

 

//

 

they stay silent from then. mina is hoping that she didn’t come off as a rude, judgemental, nerdy brat. and nayeon, well, she was thinking of what chapters to drop off and what chapters to study for tomorrow’s exam.

 


a/n: i haven't really pointed this out before but offonoff's cigarette (ft. miso, -and the man i love the most- tablo) inspired me to write this.
thank you for your upvotes and the nice comments ^^ these keep me going and encourage me to do better.