Honey-Coated

Honey-Coated

Study sessions were typically not the most anticipated events of a typical college student’s week, however, your physics study session was anything but typical. Each Wednesday evening at 7:15 on the dot, you would leave your room on the fifth floor of the co-ed dorms and be met with the sight of Kim Namjoon coming out of his room, which was slightly to the left of directly across yours, and you would smile and greet each other and walk to the same physics study session two blocks away, to which you always arrived five minutes early. Those spare five minutes were spent choosing a good seat based upon how you felt about Namjoon that day.

Some days, when you had been joking around and having fun, when he wore joggers and his hair messy, you sat next to him, wanting to be included in his comfort. Other days, when he dressed up for a presentation and it proved to be too hard to tear your eyes away from the way his button-up exposed just enough of his chest, you chose the seat which would allow you the best position from which to discreetly admire him.

This Wednesday was no different. Namjoon was already leaning against the wall by his door by the time you had finished locking yours. He put his phone away and flashed you a grin.

“Ready to go?” he asked. You felt a smile stretch across your lips in response to his own sunny expression.

“Yeah,” you said. 

You walked together towards the elevators at the end of the hallway. You kept talking about how your weeks had gone as you went through your routine of letting him press the call button while he let you press the button for the ground floor.

“Guess what!” he said suddenly.

You humored him, “what?”

“Ch’oe Yun is coming to give a special lecture to the creative writing and political science majors next Monday! I’m so excited. Her writing is just... Well, she’s Ch’oe Yun,” he gushed.

“Really?” you sighed, “I wish they would let psychology majors in too. I’d love to meet her.”

“If you’re nice to me, maybe I could sneak you in,” Namjoon offered.

It wasn’t even close to being asked out on a date, but you couldn’t keep your cheeks from warming.

Namjoon continued on, “see, you’re one of my only friends that actually enjoys going to lectures.”

“What? But there’s so many interesting ones to attend! Just the other day, I went to this one on the culture of Vlach magic in eastern Serbia - oh, it was so fun,” you told him excitedly, “There was this one guy who asked why none of the women have fallen into trances recently by this one cave where it apparently used to happened all the time, and the professor was just like, ‘they just stopped falling into trances.’ It was so funny.”

“The modern woman doesn’t let herself fall into trances,” Namjoon joked.

“Or she’s just better at hiding that she’s fallen under a spell,” you replied.

“I don’t think you can fake not being entranced.” He raised an eyebrow.

“You’d be surprised,” you snorted. You were able to hide it every time you were around him.

“I wonder why you never hear about men being entranced,” he said.

“You do though,” you corrected him, “by sirens and witches and fae. Men get entranced just as much as women.”

It was his turn to laugh, “Then I guess we’re also pretty skilled at hiding it.”

The rest of the walk to the study session was filled with light-hearted jokes and smiles that kept you warm even when you stepped into the icy air of Min Yoongi’s apartment.

You always met up at Yoongi’s place because he was the only one in the group who could accommodate ten to twelve people. That was also why you had to put up with the freezing temperature at which he kept his home. In your fantasies, it had given you a reason to cuddle up with Namjoon. In reality, it ended up with you piled under several blankets and nearly asleep.

Due to unforeseen circumstances in which the room was slightly more crowded than usual, you ended up sitting on the floor leaning against the couch. And who was on your left? None other than Namjoon’s legs. He had offered to let you sit on the couch, but you had politely declined. On his other side sat Jang Hyunseung, a known troublemaker. You didn’t feel like starting drama between him and his girlfriend at the moment.

The study session started off on a high note with beef jerky and you nailing the first few problems, but then you started to feel the familiar tug of sleep that the chilly air never failed to carry. You probably would have been able to keep yourself awake if it hadn’t been for the fact that it was Namjoon who was speaking. His voice was warm and deep, reminding you of delicious, honey-coated dreams and smooth hot chocolate. It danced through the air as a lullaby, and, before you knew it, you were asleep, your body leaning to the side until it met something that stopped it.

 


 

“Hey,” a gentle whisper pulled you out of your dream, “everyone else left already.”

“Joonie?” you mumbled, still not fully awake. Your eyes could barely open.

He hummed an affirmative. “You’ve been using my calf as a pillow for the last hour. What’s gotten you so tired?”

“Your voice.” A sleepy grin shone on your face. You weren’t even fully aware that you were talking to a real-life Namjoon.

“M-my voice?” he chuckled, “Am I that boring?”

“No, it’s just, you sound so,” you paused to yawn, “soothing. Nice. Calming.”

He was silent for a moment.

“I like to hear your voice. I like to listen to you speak,” you sighed.

“And me?’ he asked softly.

“Hm?”

“What do you think of me? Besides my voice, I mean.”

“You... I like you even better.”

Another round of silence. Then, Namjoon pulled you up onto the couch as carefully as he could. He grabbed a throw pillow, which he placed on his lap, and guided your slowly falling head to rest on it.

“The couch must be comfier than the floor, and my calves are probably harder than a pillow.” He cleared his throat.

“Joonie?” you called, though it was hardly more than a whisper.

“Yes?”

“What about me?”

“I... I like you better than you like my voice.” He pushed a lock of hair from your face.

“That’s nice.”

“It is, isn’t it?”

The last thing you heard before you drifted back into your slumber was Yoongi snickering, “Oh, Joonie!”