First Meeting

Letters To My Love
A little present to thank all of you who left such kind comments and subscribed to this story!! :D Y'all made my day better all day err dayyyy <3
(Disclaimer: Might be a little boring...?)
 
[This takes place right after Seulgi comes back from her book signing event]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Her eyes were soft as she looked at me. My own eyes however, were getting bigger by the second. Not in anticipation, but in bewilderment. Her slender fingers rose from her lap, stretching towards me. My eyes followed her fingers as she took loose locks of my hair and tucked them behind my ear. Her fingers gently brushed the tip of my ears and I could feel my breath hitch, against my own will.
 
"As the author who managed to touch every fiber of your being through my stories," she began. Fingers simultaneously running through the ends of my hair as she spoke. Those same fingers gently lifted my chin so that I could look at her properly in the eye. After making sure that I had my attention on her, she continued. "May I have the honor of being the person to touch your heart?"
 
As soon as she ended that sentence, I could feel the tip of my ears heat up so badly and I broke our gazes, closing my eyes shut, dipping my head, not believing that she actually said that. Trust her to repeat those words I just told her.
 
My flustered actions must have been very amusing to the person beside me as I could feel her throwing herself on the couch behind her, laughing out so loudly that I wouldn't be surprised if my neighbour she could hear her. Her guffaws just made me feel worse about the stunt I pulled earlier during my book signing event. Writing something THAT cheesy?? I must have been crazy.
 
"I swear, Kang Seulgi!!!! You... You're indeed my sister." The woman choked out, holding her stomach between laughs, still lying on the couch, as if waiting for her laughter to die down.
 
"Glad to hear Byulyi unnie... Yah Moon Byulyi. You're the one to blame!!! Influencing me with your cheesiness. It's a true wonder how Yongsun Unnie tolerates the amount of grease and cheese you hurl at her every second of the day." I took the nearest mini pillow and threw it at her to which she successfully caught it with her bare hands. Curse that natural athletic talent of hers. Guess it runs in the family, regardless whether we were fully blood related.
 
Byulyi unnie and I shared the same father, but different mothers. Although we aren't biological sisters, Byulyi unnie is fiercely protective over me. However, that doesn't mean she couldn't be devil’s advocate from time to time. After coming back from that book signing event, I made a beeline to the apartment we were sharing, tore down her door, woke her up and told her my embarrassing moment. I thought she would have given me some advice but... guess I was wrong.
 
Embarrassment slowly turned to anger as I quietly fumed away, not knowing how my sister could just laugh while I sit down on the same couch as her, worrying over the mindless action I did earlier at the event. I felt a reassuring pat on my shoulder as I turned to look at her. Summoning all her nose muscles, she broke out into a toothy grin and reassured me, "Yah, based on your own recounts, you said you saw her face turn as red as a tomato after seeing what you wrote on her book. Trust unnie, she'll text you soon."
 
"Oh how would you know that unnie?" I replied sarcastically, reaching out for a bag of chips to stuff myself with.
 
"Unnie's instinct. Works better than yours." She huffed her chest, making some sort of an arrogant pose. Classic
 
I let out a disgruntled groan and stuffed my mouth with more chips while Byulyi unnie ruffled my hair for a few seconds. Sensing that nothing else would come out of this conversation (other than her guffaws), I grabbed the bag of chips and went off into my room.
 
Byulyi unnie knows that whenever i'm frustrated or worried about something, I'll lock myself in my room, plug in my earphones and hoped that the literary world would take me away from those thoughts. Hence, she didn’t bother to stop me but instead, continued on watching the program that she was addicted to these days, ‘Knowing Brothers.
 
Sitting at my work table, I closed my eyes and tried to let my imagination take over while listening to the music. Usually this would be sufficient to let my fingers take over and churn out pages and pages of literary work; leading to a few bestsellers if I may boast. But not today. Since when was writing something this hard?! I internally screamed at myself after staring at a blank document for God knows how long. Looking at my phone, it read '10.20pm' and with no messages waiting to be read. Letting out a long sigh, I realized that nothing useful would spill out of my brains tonight and decided to head out into the living room once more.
 
This time, two people were in the living room, watching a show. From their backs, I could make out that it was Byulyi unnie and Yongsun unnie-unnie's girlfriend. Sensing someone behind them, turned their heads to look at me. Upon seeing me, Yongsun unnie immediately pressed her hands to to suppress the laughter threatening to spill. Needless to say, I'm sure Byulyi unnie had told her girlfriend about my suave action earlier today. I rolled my eyes at the both of them and proceeded to grab some milk and cereal for dinner.
 
"Don't bother with that Seulgi. I bought burritos for you already. It's on the counter." Yongsun called out, both of them still staring at me with much amusement. "Ah. Thanks Yongsun unnie." I mutely replied, digging into the white plastic bag on the counter to get my dinner. Putting my cellphone into the back pocket of my sweatpants, I unwrapped my burrito while making my way to the couch, plopping myself beside Yongsun unnie.
 
"Aigoo, our little kid. I've never heard that you were capable of such actions." Yongsun unnie cooed. I gave her a sour look before continuing on my burrito, praying hard that they would not start their banter. Although both of them are older than me, their mental age is akin to elementary school students from time to time. Making huge fusses out of nothing and everything, exaggerating anything that passes their way.
 
"I guess, this person must have been so beautiful that your natural grease must have just emerged eh?" Yongsun unnie finished, while Byulyi unnie tried to stifle her laughter.
 
"I..."
 
"Are you gonna bring someone home soon? After 23 years of pseudo hermit life?" Byulyi teased, snaking her arm across Yongsun, head resting on the latter's shoulder.
 
"Yah Byulyi unnie!!"
 
"But it's true!!! You've never bring anyone home for some fun and your dates always tell me that you're REALLY oblivious to their advances."
 
"For you to be this worked up... She must really be beautiful huh? I've never seen you fawning over anyone before." Yongsun chimed in, eyebrows slightly wiggling.
 
"Well... Her eyes are really expressive for one. Her eyes are huge too. And she has nice-" Before I could finish my sentence, I felt a sudden vibration in my back pocket, announcing the arrival of a message. I fished it out and mindlessly swiped right to unlock my phone to read the message. What I saw next almost made me drop my precious burrito.
 
To: Seulgi
From: xxxx
Are all writers like this? Oh, I'm the person that you wrote your number to today. My name is Irene.
 
"Ohholyshereplied." I muttered under my breath. Although it may have sounded like a string of incoherent words, the other two beside me understood perfectly.
 
"LET ME SEE!!" Yongsun reached out to steal my phone away from me, but thank the heavens for my althetic sense. I slipped away from the two unnies and immediately ran into my room and locked it.
 
"Who knew our bear could be this..."
 
"Girly?"
 
"Yeah. I swear Yonggie, you need to introduce her to me sometime. Someone that can make her systems reboot and go overdrive..."
 
"No way! If you see her you're probably gonna unleash all your grease on her and throw me aside."
 
"Why would I ever forget my only love, darling." Byulyi reached out to Yongsun and pushed her down the couch.
 
"Seulgi's in!! Stop thi-" Byulyi put a finger on Yongsun's lips, hushing her effectively.
 
"She won't come out for the whole day. Trust me on that." With this, Byulyi leaned forward to close the gap between the two of them.
 
:::
 
From: Seulgi
To: Irene
That was what I could think of at the top of my head. Pleased to meet you Ms. Irene. I apologize for not being able to engage in small conversation with you during the signing event earlier.
 
I pressed the sent button and threw my phone on the bed and laid down on the floor. That reply was the product of 10 minutes of writing, erasing, writing and erasing. What else could I have sent? But I have to admit. It was a pretty boring answer, a far cry from the really smooth line I wrote earlier. The reply came quick and I scrambled onto my bed to read the message, burrito long forgotten on the floor.
 
To: Seulgi
From: Irene
Kekekekeke. It's nice to meet you too Ms. Seulgi. I can't believe I'm actually talking to you now. Feels surreal.
 
To: Irene
From: Seulgi
If you wish, shall we meet? There's a cafe downtown that I've been wanting to visit.
 
The reply didn't come as quickly as I wanted. It was as though I could feel her thinking whether she should accept my offer. I clutched my phone tightly and laid on my bed. Please say yes.
 
To: Seulgi
From: Irene
Sure, do tell me the date and time and we can meet.
 
I had to read the message twice, slapped myself on the face once and read it again to ensure that it wasn't some sort of a dream. When I had finally come to terms with the fact that she really wrote it, a smile slowly spread across my lips and I couldn't stop my smile from spreading further and further. Quickly typing in the date, time and location to her, I rolled over onto my back and read the conversation several times. With a stupid smile on my face, my brain quickly got to work on several conversational topics. If I were to think of topics on the day itself, I fear that my intellectual capabilities might turn to mush after gazing upon her ethereal face.
 
I'm gonna meet her soon... I should come up with a few topics to talk about. Or should I just wait for her to ask me stuff? What should I even talk about? Heck this is... oh god is this a date? Or is this just a casual hangout between two people. But it's only between two people... So is that a date? That's what my previous hangout with other girls always said... Maybe I should ask unnie.
 
"Unnie, how should I - OH MY GOD WHAT ARE YOU BOTH DOING ON THE SOFA OH MY GOD GET A ROOM BOTH OF YOU!!!!"
 
:::
 
"This place's really nice. How did you know of it?"
 
"I was reading some reviews the cafe online and thought I should pop by one day." I tried to speak calmly though it must have backfired because my eye were looking everywhere except at her.
 
"Is there something wrong Ms. Seulgi?" She asked quietly, hands cupping the cup of tea in front of her, eyes looking downwards. That sudden question snapped my attention back to her.
 
"What? No, of course not, why would anything be wrong?"
 
"Because it feels like you don't want to be here..." she trailed off. Crap.
 
"It's because you're too beautiful to look at, Ms. Irene." I answered honestly, not knowing what came over me.
 
After realizing what I have just said, I immediately pressed my hand against my mouth in shock. She too, must have been shocked at my words as her back visibly straightened and she looked at me with wide eyes. An uncomfortable silence loomed over us as I mentally attack myself for that greasy statement earlier. Bringing my right hand up, I loosened my high ponytail in an effort to hide the growing red on the tip of my ears. Curse Byulyi unnie for this amount of grease.
 
"Do you have a Korean name?" I asked, desperately trying to change the subject. This time, her head tilted slightly to one side, as though bewildered at my sudden question. If the previous sentence wasn't enough to ruin her impression of me, I was so sure that this was the final blow.
 
"I'm sorry I-" I tried to remedy the weird situation by apologizing but she cut me before I could even finish my sentence.
 
"Bae JooHyun."
 
"Sorry?"
 
"I do have a Korean name. Bae Joohyun." She finished, smiling softly at me. Ah, I guess my question didn't come out that weird then.
 
Bae Joohyun... Joohyun... I repeated her name a few times in my head, loving the way it sounded in my head. If only I could just let those beautiful syllables roll of my tongue...
 
"But you prefer others to call you by your English name?" I questioned, hoping to get a sense of which name she preferred me to call her by, silently wishing that she would say 'no'.
 
"Yeah, my godmother gave it to me when I was younger. She said it was the name of the Greek Goddess of Peace."
 
"Yeah, you do resemble a Greek Goddess." I breathed out, before I could even stop myself. My face contorted slightly after realization hit and I dipped my head down in embarrassment, wishing that I could just dig a hole right then and there and hide my entire existence in it. She's gonna think that I'm super weird now. Why did it turn out like this?!
 
A melodious laughter rang out and I slowly lifted my head. Greeted by the sight of her eyes turning into slits and her petite hands covering while laughing, I found myself slowly smiling as well. As if her laughter was infectious, I began laughing genuinely-not because of the awkward atmosphere before. A few good minutes passed before our laughters died down but when it did, I realized that both of us were more relaxed. I could look at her properly in the eye and her back, previously stiff, was now relaxed into a lazy slouch.
 
"Is it okay if I just addressed you normally Irene...?" I cautiously asked, not wanting to break whatever good mood that was present between us in this moment. Her eyes widened in light humor before giving a nod.
 
"Of course, Seulgi." After she spoke, her eyes were slightly lowered and she looked at me again with wonder in her eyes, as though a child was entranced by the sight of a new candy.
 
:::
 
"Favorite genre of books?"
 
"Mystery? Crime? Thriller?"
 
"Then why did my friend buy my book for you then? I'm sure my book is labeled 'Romance' you know." I asked in mild wonder.
 
Our afternoon tea together had long ended and now we were wandering around a park next to the cafe.
 
"She told me I needed something light in my life."
 
"Hence she bought the book?"
 
"Hence she bought the book."
 
"Your friend's weird."
 
"Well, in some ways she was right. I needed some form of change in life and your book really offered some good perspectives on life and relationships." Irene explained, eyes casting off into a distance. I knew better then to not ask what happened as we were only getting to know each other and I was sure that if I asked, the mood would have been brought down.
 
"Did you experience all those things?" Irene asked, eyes looking forward at the path in front of us.
 
"The things I wrote in my book?"
 
"Yeah."
 
"No."
 
"Then how could you write them in such a surreal manner?"
 
"Some of the stories are based on personal accounts of people I know. I merely added an element of fantasy to their realities. The rest are just based of imagination." I answered honestly.
 
"I guess writers have their way with words." She replied absentmindedly, eyes focusing on the path in front of us.
 
"I believe so."
 
"Is that how you were able to write that sentence on my book?" A slight hint of tease was heard in her tone and immediately I could feel the tip of my ears go red.
 
"I..."
 
"Or is that your way of flirting?"
 
"NO! I just-" My hands fled up to my chest, vehemently denying it. I tried to come up with an excuse but nothing just came into my mind. That same melodious laughter was heard again but this time, she was almost falling over from laughing. I instinctively slid myself closer to her, somewhat ready to catch her if she ever fell from laughing.
 
"Why are you standing so close to me all of a sudden?" Her eyes, wide with wonder as she asked.
 
"Well, you look like you might fall any moment... if you laughed that hard." I shyly replied, bringing my hand to my neck, eyes looking far away.
 
Needless to say, she erupted into another round of laughter, bending and arching over from time to time, writhing around and saying something along the lines of 'Who will fall over just from laughing?!'
 
Looking at Joohyun, a small smile crept over my lips as I wondered how this elegant lady that I've met a few hours ago have been reduced to a child who laughs at anything and everything. Even when she's laughing like a crazed maniac over my dumb logic, she still looks effortlessly beautiful, as though the heavens have poured extra effort into molding this woman, turning her into their perfect creation. How lucky I must have been to have our fates intertwined with each other.
 
The desire to get to know her better, to want to keep her in my arms fills me every minute. Those eyes of hers, so expressive yet mysterious at the same time. If I could, I'd willingly drown myself in them every second of the day because I believe that beyond those eyes, they carry everything I need to know about the universe. It's secrets and knowledge. Her lips too I'm sure, would carry the flavor of the universe. Was this how my other dates felt? Is this... love? Or is this just a 'want'? Ironically, as a writer with several bestsellers under my belt, I've wrote many novels on love but I've never experienced any of those before. Sure, I've tried dating many times but that certain spark that Byulyi unnie and my friends have described about had never made its way to me throughout those years. I thought I might have missed that spark because I was too busy looking for it to fully enjoy the relationship.
 
However, if that spark meant that heart stopping moment ever since I first saw her, excessively worrying over every single thing I say to her, wanting to just stare at her beauty for long periods of time, then I think...
 
I'm in love.
 
But this is only the first time I've met this woman. Surely I'm just captivated by her beauty? Heck, I don't even really know her yet.
 
Love, love only comes when you love that one person unconditionally, especially at their worst. How can I think I love her when I haven't seen her at her worst... Right?
 
Getting into a relationship without properly knowing the other person will just hurt both parties... at least, that's what I usually write in my books.
 
Someone please tell me I'm right.
 
:::
 
I slowly drove to a stop at the entrance of her apartment. Getting out of the driver's seat quickly, I ran to the other side of my car and held the door open for her. She shyly bowed her head in appreciation as she got out of the car. Closing the door, I turned to look at her. She had her hands tucked into her jeans pocket and I mirrored her actions as I walked to her.
 
"So. This was fun. Today. I mean. Today was fun." I began, eyes darting everywhere, not knowing where to look.
 
"Mhmm. Today was fun, thank you very much Seulgi." I could feel her eyes on me as she spoke. Gathering courage, I met her gaze and this time, her eyes spoke of a certain sadness. If I'm guessing this right...
 
"Think we could do this again? I mean, hangout and all... Maybe watch a movie or something?" I asked slowly, eyes not leaving hers. Her eyes slowly shifted to speak of another story. Hope.
 
"Of... Of course! I'd love that very much." She shyly replied, dipping her head down as if to avoid my gaze.
 
"It's rather late now, you should go up. I'm glad we met." I didn't know how to end our conversation or what was a good way to say goodbye.
 
I brought my right hand out for a handshake because I thought it would be weird to hug on our first meeting. Also, it would be weird waving goodbye too right? Feels like I'm dropping my girlfriend off at her house...
 
"A handshake? Really Seulgi?" She quizzically asked me, her eyes turning into one that seemed to shout 'I expected something more from you'.
 
Before I could even reply her, I was engulfed in warmth. Her warmth. I gingerly wrapped my arms around her tiny figure and I could feel her tightening her grip around me. I could feel her smile against my shoulder as I leaned my head against hers. We stayed like this for a while before I reluctantly pulled away.
 
"You should go up, it's going to be midnight soon."
 
"My outfit won't turn into rags at midnight you know." A faint chuckle accompanied her tease.
 
"Of course it won't, but I'm sure rags would still look beautiful on you."
 
"Greasy." Joohyun mused.
 
"Well, I learn from the best." I huffed my chest out, cringing my nose in what I thought would mirror Byulyi unnie’s smile the best.
 
"I must pay a visit to the Grease Master some time then. Guess I'll go up now. See you soon?"
 
"Yep."
 
"Yep."
 
"Goodnight."
 
"Goodnight." She nodded at me before turning around to make her way back into her apartment. I stood rooted to the ground as I looked at her back, getting smaller and smaller as she walked further away from me. "
 
Wait! Joohyun!" I broke into a sprint and grabbed her wrist before she could open the door to her apartment. She jumped at the sudden contact and I winced inwardly, feeling a little bad for scaring her like this.
 
"Yes Seulgi?"
 
"Do you believe in love at first sight?" She held my gaze for a long moment before she replied my question.
 
"I believe that to love someone, you gotta touch their heart first."
 
"Oh." Did she just...
 
"I'll be going in now. Goodnight Seulgi."
 
"Goodnight Joohyun, Sweet dreams."
 
Once I was sure that she was in her apartment safely, I climbed into the drivers seat and drove away into the darkness, head spinning from all the thoughts and feelings that wrecked my entire being today.
 
:::
 
I sat in my car, half dazed from the wondrous day I've had with Joohyun. I had already drove myself back from her apartment but was unwilling to go back up. Going into my own room would mean that the day had really ended and I was reluctant to enter that slight bit of reality. Letting out a long sigh, I sank further into my seat, closing my eyes, trying to recall every single bit of detail that happened throughout the day.
 
bzzzzzzt.
 
Feeling for my phone currently lying on the passenger seat, I swiped the lock screen and looked at the message that was sent to me.
 
To:Seulgi
From: Irene
Now that I think about it, since when did I allow you to call me 'Joohyun'?
 
To: Irene
From: Seulgi
You don't like it? ;)
 
A small smile crept to my lips as I quickly typed in that reply and pressed 'Send'.
 
Not long after, a reply came in and I eagerly read it.
 
To: Seulgi
From: Irene
No one's called me by that name in a long time, so it feels nostalgic.
 
To: Irene
From: Seulgi
So, I'm just someone who is nostalgia-inducing?
 
To: Seulgi
From: Irene
Kekekekeke what's that suppose to even mean? But I like hanging out with you. You seem like a very nice friend to hang out with
 
I slightly frowned that at message. Does that mean she just thinks of me as a friend? Was there no chance of anything more? Just as questions flooded through me, another message popped up.
 
To: Seulgi
From: Irene
Remember your little sentence? I'm still waiting to see how you're gonna fulfill that statement of yours. ;)
 
To: Irene
From: Seulgi
There's no turning back once you've seen all of me. Be ready to fall into my charms. ;)
 
To: Seulgi
From: Irene
Ah. Using lines from your book now eh? Not so fast alligator... But I'll be looking forward to our next meeting. Goodnight and rest well, Seulgi.
 
With that, I happily got out of my car, locked it, and walked towards my apartment, feeling a little warm and fuzzy.
 
Well, I guess it's either we go big or we go home!
 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Authors Note: I hope this update meets your expectations! (nervous laughter) 
Okay!! Time for me to go back to my grave while looking at Red Room photos (Girl Crush Seul killed me tbvh. ESP HER BE NATURAL DANCE.)
 
ps: Has anyone questioned themselves for falling in love so quickly? I've done that countless times honestly... Dont know if falling quick is a good or bad thing sigh.