Chapter 3

Not Meant To Be: Silence

"Seokjin, your dad and I are going to be gone for a while okay? Now you be good and stay with your grandma," a woman told Seokjin, who was only 4 years old. She smiled but even at a young age, Seokjin knew that she didn't mean it.

"Are you done yet?" a man a few feet away muttered at the woman. He didn't even say anything to the child, almost ignoring him.

The woman nodded then patted Seokjin's head before walking away. She just told her son that she and her husband are going to be gone for a while but Seokjin knew better than this.

(A Few Nights Ago)

It was late at night and Seokjin had witnessed his parents in an argument. It was obvious that they didn't want Seokjin to hear because they were doing their best to keep their voice low but Seokjin saw and heard everything.

He made sure that they can't see him and listened carefully.

"I just can't stand it anymore," his dad whispered angrily with his hands thrown in the air, "Do you know how embarrassing it is to be with him? It was okay when he was still a baby but things have changed. Ever since you gave birth to him, everyone's been avoiding us, like there's something wrong with us, like we're not even humans."

His mother scoffed, "Oh, stop it. You think you're suffering so much? You don't know what I've been through. You've only suffered half of it since you work. I am the one who has to take care of him, clean him, and feed him."

They continue their argument and Seokjin was going to go back to bed when his mother shouted.

"I NEVER ASKED FOR A MUTE SON!!!"

Seokjin flinched at the loudness and could hear his father yell at his mother to quiet down. He's too afraid to move now, so he remained hidden and the next words gave him nightmares later that night.

"We'll just move and leave him behind. We can have another child, a normal child. A child who can speak."

 (Back to the Current Day)

Seokjin grabbed his mother's dress, wrinkling it a bit. His mother turned around and Seokjin begged with his eyes for her to stay.

"Seokjin! Let go! You're ruining my dress!" she scolded him, yanking his hands away, "Please, Seokjin, just go back to your grandma." She pointed at the older woman on the porch.

Since they were his parents, Seokjin couldn't let go, clinging onto her arm this time. He trembled as his eyes flooded and his nose became snotty. No... he doesn't want to lose his parents.

He doesn't want to be abandoned.

Seokjin gasped when his father picked him up and threw him over his shoulder, carrying him inside the house and into his room. When he placed him on the wooden floor, he whispered, "Please, don't make this harder for your me and your mother."

His father turned to leave and Seokjin chased after him, stumbling over his own feet. He ran with all his might but was no match to his dad's long strides. His grandma cried and held him, stopping him from running after his parents. He struggled to get out of the arms but he's only a child, weak and broken.

He reached his arms out, crying as he watched his parents disappear from his sight..... forever.

He's been abandoned.

~~

Seokjin forces his eyes open as he jerks awake, panting hard. He felt his forehead and found it drenched with sweat. Another nightmare. Well, more like a memory replaying. He calmed himself down, telling himself that it was all in the past. He's doing okay...

The sun hasn't rose yet but Seokjin felt like he had enough sleep. After dressing out of his pajamas, he leaves his room, walking out into the hall. As he steps forward to go to the bathroom, a closed door caught his attention.

He paused, a lonely feeling settled inside him, before turning the doorknob. Opening the door, he pokes his head inside, only to be met with an empty room with a white bed. Taehyung had used this room before during the one week they spent together.

That week with Taehyung had been two weeks ago.

Ever since Taehyung went back to his own home, the two never really spoke to each other again and Seokjin thinks he understood why. Taehyung only came to his house because Jimin had told him to. He thinks that that week won't mean anything to Taehyung because it was something that he was told to do, not because he wanted to.

They don't spend time together anymore but at least Taehyung doesn't bother or say hurtful things to him since then. That was good enough for Seokjin.

 He glides into the kitchen after washing up, preparing something for his new friends. This week is Yoongi and Namjoon's turn to receive his treats that he'll be making.

Once he chose a recipe, his hands began to work. There's no music playing as he worked but Taehyung's soulful voice echoed in his head, creating a fond smile on Seokjin's face.

~~

*Knock Knock Knock*

Seokjin adjusts his posture and waited for the door to open. When it did, he's surprised to see that it was Yoongi instead of Namjoon who came to the door since he doesn't wake up this early on a daily basis.

"Hello, Seokjin," he mumbled, tired and half asleep, "Namjoon is still asleep. We stayed up late last night." He smacks his lips, ruffling his messy hair.

Like always, Seokjin holds the tray of sweets up to his friend, who raised his eyebrow. "What did you bring this time?"

Smiling, Seokjin holds his finger to his lips, indicating that it was a surprise. If Yoongi wants to know then he'll have to look inside.

"Huh," he huffs, "Well, I'll make sure Namjoon gets his share too then."

He turns to leave but stops halfway, craving his head to look back at Seokjin.

"Thanks. Really, thank you," he smiles at Seokjin, causing him to blush a little.

~~

As Seokjin walks back to his home, he ponders if he should maybe visit Jimin and Hoseok today. Or maybe he'll just stay home instead.

While walking along the path to his house, he hears a commotion not too far away. Wondering what it could be about, he dashes towards the noise, not knowing who is part of it.

~~

"Hey, come on man, we know how you feel," a male villager laughs. He and his group of friends wouldn't leave Taehyung alone.

"So, are you and Seokjin a thing now?"

"No! Why would you even bring that up?" he yells, clearly annoyed. Of course he and Seokjin aren't a "thing."

"Who are you kidding Taehyung? Everyone knows that you spent an entire week at his home. What did you guys do? I bet you and him were fooling around every nigh-"

"I would never do that! He's only a friend," Taehyung cuts him off. He tries to stomp away but a hand pushes him back to his spot.

"Why are you getting so angry? Is it because....he's more than a friend?" the male teases.

This reminds Taehyung of what Jimin said before too, 'Do you like Seokjin?' He doesn't know why but something snapped inside him.

"Ooh, looks like Taehyung has a crush on the mute," the man sneers, enjoying Taehyung's reactions.

Taehyung doesn't know why he felt so offended or why he felt embarrassed but in less than a second, he finds himself on top of the man who kept taunting him, ready to beat the hell out of him.

And for what reason?

He doesn't even know exactly why but he's trying really hard to deny something. Maybe he does like Seokjin.

"Why the hell would I like someone like Seokjin! I don't even want to be around him! He's useless! He's-"

In the heat of his yelling, he happened to look up and saw that amongst the small crowd of people that were gathered around him, Seokjin turns away to hide his face.

All anger left him completely as guilt drained into him. When the mute man leaves the crowd, Taehyung's fists leave the man that he planned to beat, reaching for Seokjin's attention.

"Seokjin...wait," he croaked, but unsurprisingly, Seokjin paid him no attention.

"Wait!" he stood up this time, trying to follow Seokjin but was stopped by the group. The man that he shoved onto the ground dusts his pants as he gets up on his feet again.

"Give him what he deserves."

Following orders, Taehyung was beaten into a pulp, dirt staining his clothes and face. He could've fought back but after lying to himself and hurting Seokjin again, the men beating him meant nothing to him; he couldn't muster up any energy.

It's what he deserves.

~~

 Jimin dabs the cotton ball on one of Taehyung's injuries, sighing at his careless friend. He's now at Jimin and Hoseok's place. Taehyung stares into space, not caring about his injuries.

"What were you thinking? It was good that Jungkook found you or you'd be in a worse state," Jimin scolds him lightly, "And don't worry too much, Jungkook is at Seokjin's right now. He'll be alright."

Taehyung grabs Jimin's hand, stopping him from cleaning his wounds. He wants to know how Seokjin is like right now. He wants to apologize but he feels that he had already apologized too many times. If he's really sorry, why did he do the same thing over?

"Jimin, I didn't mean to hurt him," he finally speaks, barely. Jimin understands this and he pats him on the back.

"I know that. Like I said, don't worry too much. I already have something in mind," he pulls his hand out of Taehyung's grasp to clean his wounds again.

~~

Seokjin held onto Jungkook as he receives comfort. He's not crying; that'll only make matters worse. Also, he's used to being called things, so it's nothing new.

"Seokjin, you gotta understand that he didn't mean what he said," Jungkook hugs him tighter, hating the way Seokjin has been treated.

As expected, Seokjin doesn't respond.

"Okay , how about this," he separates them so they could see each other, "Jimin has told me that he wants to go to the new museum later this week. We're all invited, including you."

Mentioning a museum definitely sparked an interest in Seokjin because there's not that many museums around anymore and those that are still around are really expensive.

"We've got it covered so you don't have to pay," Jungkook lied. They still haven't discussed this with the others but Jungkook's absolutely sure that they'll lend a helping hand.

~~

"No."

"What? Come on, hyung. Help us," Jimin pleads. Jungkook sat beside him.

"No means no. I'm not going to give you money for you two to set up a date," Yoongi continues to work. He doesn't have time for this.

"It's not a date. We're only trying to mend a friendship," Jimin chirped brightly. Yep, he wants Taehyung and Seokjin to meet again and perhaps make up. He has already sent Taehyung to Seokjin's house for a week a while ago and the results came out beautifully.

Taehyung has changed his bitter feelings for Seokjin which was Jimin's goal but it went even better. He couldn't stop thinking about Seokjin even after the one week was over and that made Jimin delighted.

"I heard there's an organ," Jimin tries randomly.

He was lucky because that caused Yoongi to stop writing, pausing so suddenly as his body went still.

"An organ?"

"Yeah! That instrument that you've been interested in lately," Jimin says in a sing-song voice. He successfully lures Yoongi to them, chuckling mischievously inside his head. He's got the Min Yoongi to help them now.

"Deal."

"Wha- Really?!" Jungkook's big eyes widened.

Okay, Jimin and Jungkook didn't expect Yoongi to agree so fast. How important is an organ to him? Oh well. They got what they got. Jimin keeps this organ thing in mind in case he needs to use it to get help from Yoongi again.

"Only if someone else pays for the other half. I'm not paying for everyone," he smirks at the two younger males.

Jimin turns to stare at the youngest one and smirks. Jungkook stared back innocently with a clueless expression, "Why are you looking at me like that?"

~~

While Taehyung walked back to his and Jungkook's house, he decided to take a different path for no particular reason. Keeping his head down, Taehyung watches his feet as one steps in front of the other. He almost wasn't paying any attention to the world right now, only viewing the ground that's passing by.

*Ding*

A soft bell sounds and Taehyung glances up lazily, picking up the smell of fresh bread. He came to a stop when he sees Seokjin exit the bakery, ringing the small bell above the door.

Seokjin saw him too, stepping away since he wasn't sure what to do. Taehyung wanted to approach him but he doesn't know how. What if he scares Seokjin away? Or worse, what if Seokjin doesn't want to be around him anymore?

An inner voice interrupts, 'But Taehyung, didn't you say that you don't want to be around Seokjin?'

He shakes the voice away, right when Seokjin starts to walk towards him. Taehyung's heart races faster and faster the closer Seokjin got. Closer and closer...

He walked right past him, the faint smell of hyacinth trailing with him.

Taehyung was stunned when Seokjin went past him as if he wasn't there. What did he expect? Seokjin is going to come running to him after calling him useless? How stupid.

His body moved on its own and turns around to grab Seokjin's wrist, hoping to stop him from walking away. He's confused with why he's doing this.

'I don't like him,' he tries to tell himself...

All the activities that he and Seokjin did together: cooking, dancing, exploring; it made him think. He tightens his jaw from the short memories.

'I... I thought I didn't like him,' he restates.

Seokjin immediately wrenches his wrist out of the other's hand, flinching as if Taehyung had burned him. Once he's free from the grasp, he acts like he was not affected and resumed walking.

Taehyung couldn't follow him.

~~

The day has finally arrived. As planned, Jungkook brought Seokjin first, meeting with Hoseok and Jimin. While waiting just a few buildings away from the museum, Hoseok strikes up a conversation with Jungkook and Seokjin as Jimin leans back to check if the rest of his friends arrived yet.

Because he lives with Jimin, Hoseok had already been informed about the plan a couple days ago too. Namjoon hasn't though. They never got a chance with the latter coming close to wrapping up his current collaboration, being busier than ever.

"Namjoon! Yoongi! Tae!" Hoseok shouts when he spots the three nicely dressed men, letting them know where they are. Jimin and Jungkook turned to look too but Seokjin blinks blankly in front of him like he's blind.

He hasn't been told specifically that Taehyung will be coming but Jungkook did say that they were all invited. He figures that it won't be a problem though, as long as he wasn't alone with Taehyung.

"I heard that this museum is new," Namjoon closes the book held in his right hand. He wore a royal blue jacket with a navy button up shirt underneath which made him look professional. His pants did not have a single wrinkle at all.

"Yes. It had opened not that long ago," Jungkook nods and his focus left Namjoon to Yoongi, who was already a few feet ahead of them. Yoongi almost forgot about his friends, the organ that Jimin mentioned seems to be calling out to him.

His simple shirt was tucked in his dark pants. The first button of his white shirt didn't start until it's almost halfway down his upper body, creating a V-shape that exposed a bit of his chest and collarbone. He turns back to the group, showing a better view of the small scarf around his pale neck.

"Can we go now?" he complains.

Hoseok adjusts the collar of his black shirt that makes his body look slender than ever. He was the first to follow Yoongi before the rest began to too.

As they get closer to the museum, Jimin noticed how Seokjin and Taehyung were so distant from each other. That made him concerned about them so he cooks up an idea that will bring them closer.

Taehyung is oblivious to a sneaky Jimin who creeps up behind him. Even from behind him, Jimin can tell that Taehyung is staring at the back of Seokjin's head like he's hoping for him to turn and notice him.

Without being too obvious, Jimin pretends to trip, bumping into Taehyung in the process with just enough force to push him until he bumps into Seokjin. No one got hurt seriously though; it was only Jimin who landed on the ground with an "oof!" with dirt clouding around him.

Jungkook was the only one who heard Jimin so he backtracked to help dust Jimin off. While doing so, he sees Taehyung and Seokjin in front of him.

"Sorry about that," Taehyung apologizes to Seokjin. He didn't even remember that it was Jimin who bumped into him first. His heart drops when Seokjin made no response, not even a small nod to acknowledge that he heard his apology. 

Before he can try to get some kind of reaction from Seokjin again, Hoseok exclaims, "We're here!"

~~

"Has anyone seen Yoongi?" Hoseok spins around in circles, looking for the shorter man. While the rest of them scattered around in the hall for Yoongi, Taehyung couldn't stop glancing at Seokjin every second.

Suddenly, beautiful music from an organ filled the air and instantly, everyone knew that it was their missing friend.

"Oh no! I didn't tell him that he can't touch the organ!" Jimin freaks out and ran to where the music came from. The group ran after him, whisking past paintings and statues.

Taehyung looked over his shoulder to see that Seokjin wasn't following them. Instead, he's intrigued by one of the paintings that they past by.

Taehyung can already picture the adorable face Seokjin has as he takes slow, lazy steps towards him. He pushed the negative thoughts out and his heart warms up when he imagine Seokjin's smile.

Once he's behind Seokjin, he covers his eyes, feeling his eyelashes fluttering. His eyelids were as soft as rose petals and Taehyung can feel him stiffen.

Seokjin knew that it was Taehyung. Why wouldn't he? The strong, big hands and long fingers was recognizable for him.

He let out a small gasp when Taehyung whispers in his ear, "Come with me. Please."

It wasn't like Seokjin had a choice anyway because Taehyung leads him into a spacious room, hands still covering his eyes.

The first thing that came into Seokjin's view when Taehyung removed his hands was a black-winged statue. He observes the room and didn't understand why such a large room would contain only one artifact.

"Ehem," Taehyung clears his throat to get Seokjin's attention. Now seems to be the perfect time, with no one around.

Instead of turning to face Taehyung, Seokjin walked aimlessly around the room. He didn't want to see Taehyung's face. Even though he continued to face away, Taehyung knew that he's listening.

"Seokjin," the way the name floats out of Taehyung's mouth made Seokjin pause right next to the statue, causing a light shadow to cover half of his face. He's always liked Taehyung's deep and calming voice.

"It's not true," he hears Taehyung coming closer. His steps echoed throughout the room, his shoes clicking on the marble floor.

"It's not true," he then hears Taehyung right behind him, almost breathing onto his neck. Taehyung wants to hold his hand, touch his face; he just wants to feel Seokjin's soft and warm skin but he's afraid that the latter will pull away.

"I'm sorry. I-I d-didn't mean what I said," he referred to the commotion a few days ago, his voice at the verge of breaking. Seeing Seokjin distance himself from him hurts more than he thought.
Seokjin starts his aimless walking again but Taehyung will not allow it.

He pulls Seokjin back.

With arms wrapped around his waist, locking the other in, Taehyung buries his face into Seokjin's neck and shoulder. He takes in a breath of air, along with Seokjin's scent, not knowing that he missed this smell so much until now.

Meanwhile, Seokjin struggled to break free, flustered from being so close to Taehyung. He has never been in these kind of situations which caused him to be so shaky. He finally stopped shaking like a leaf when Taehyung spoke in his soft and quiet voice.

"You don't believe me?" he whispers, looking like a kicked puppy.

Seokjin shook his head because he really didn't believe Taehyung even though he wants to. Taehyung apologized for hurting him multiple times already only to hurt him again. What if he repeats that process?

"Do you want proof?"

Seokjin nods.

Pause.


"It was obvious that I didn't like you at first," Taehyung's start made Seokjin look down, "Then Jimin goes on about how I have to come live with you for a week. I didn't want to but I did it anyway."

Seokjin already knew this too, lifting his head up a bit.

"I didn't expect it but that was an amazing week. We stayed at your place almost the entire time with no one else around," one of his hands reaches up to Seokjin's chin, turning his face so that they can look at each other in the eye.

"I love being with you."

He stares at a wide-eyed Seokjin, who looked so stunned and dumbstruck. Taehyung had thought about what he felt about Seokjin and came to a conclusion his old self had never expected.

Now he knows why he felt so angry when the other villagers about being with Seokjin. It was because he refused to admit his feelings. He was scared that it would be embarrassing to be with Seokjin. It was okay the first time since it was part of the one week deal. What he felt towards Seokjin wasn't just friendship anymore...

"I'm falling in love with you."

Taehyung's breath ghosts over Seokjin's lips; they were so close.

Love?

Seokjin had never have someone love him romantically. When he was younger, he'd always long for his soul mate but had stopped, thinking that he's dreaming too big. No one wanted him, a mute, to be their lover. But Taehyung...

The eyes shining right into his made him think, 'Could this be?'

Tears glistened in Seokjin's eyes as he exhaled shakily. Are they tears of happiness?

His heartbeat grew louder, becoming excited and without a second thought, Seokjin closes his eyes and decides to let his heart lead the way.

Taehyung lost his breath the moment Seokjin kisses him softly. All of his questions, nervousness, and worries vanished and he returned the kiss after admiring Seokjin's lashes and tinted cheeks.

"I love Seokjin."

~~

Taehyung yawns, stretching before removing the blanket on him. He tries to get up but someone pulls him back onto the bed. Seokjin's bed. Once he sees that Seokjin only wanted to cuddle more, he chuckles and pecks the top of his lover's head.

"Come on, Seokjin. Wake up~" Taehyung coos at the tired man as if he was an infant. They have to get up eventually if they want to go somewhere today.

"I thought you wanted to go outside of the village today," he plays with Seokjin's hair, twirling it around his finger. Every part of Seokjin has become some of Taehyung's favorite things, like the tiny crinkles that his eyes make when he tries to hold in his laugh.

Remembering their plans for today, Seokjin snaps wide awake. How could he forget?!
 
Taehyung smiles lovingly at his adorable boyfriend. How long has it been since they've became a couple? About 2 weeks already?

They decided not to tell anyone yet which includes their friends and other people. Taehyung's afraid of what could happen to them and Seokjin understands what he meant. People here will talk.

Of course, this doesn't stop them from spending time together like they have been doing for many days now. Taehyung likes how it was only the two of them most of the time.

~~

Seokjin's shoes taps the wooden stairs as he steps down from the porch of his house. He thought that Taehyung was behind him but when he turned, he wasn't there. Thinking that maybe he forgot something, Seokjin waits patiently.


His eyes blinks multiple times with his mouth agape in shock when Taehyung appeared from the side of the house. Taehyung looked normal but the reason why Seokjin was so surprised was because of the horse that he brought with him.

"I didn't want you to be tired if we walk to the next village so I bought a horse for today," Taehyung grins, charming Seokjin again. He walks the horse up to Seokjin, who seems more fascinated than afraid.

He's actually glad that Taehyung did this and thanks him with a direct kiss on the lips. After adjusting and checking if things were in place, the two gets on.

Seokjin sits in the front even though Taehyung will be the one guiding the horse with the rein in his hands. He didn't want to lose sight of Seokjin.

"Ready?" Taehyung asks as he presses his chest even closer to Seokjin's back. The other nods then the horse trots.

The wind blew their hair out of their faces as the clip-clop of the horse creates a peaceful rhythm. Seokjin wanted to stay with Taehyung.

He wants to stay with Taehyung for a long time but asks himself one question. Will he be abandoned again? Will Taehyung leave him like his parents did?

He doesn't want to be abandoned.

Somehow, it seems like Taehyung hears Seokjin's thoughts and assures him. He remembers the night Seokjin told him about his parents and it breaks his heart. A promise was made by himself so that Seokjin will not go through the same thing again.

"I will never leave you."

These simple words lit a warm fire in Seokjin's chest as he leans back to lay his head on Taehyung. It felt so comforting to be in the arms of someone who loves him as much as he does.

Both men wants to remain like this forever, to enjoy each other's company and shower each other with more love everyday.

They were happy and content with what they have.

But the question is,

How long will this last?