Basket Case

Rain
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mark slumbered on the bed, staring at the room's white ceiling emptily. It had been two weeks and one day since the first day he stayed in the hospital. Bambam was busy looking at his mirror, tidying up his hair before going to work. After he had done with it, he put the mirror and other necessary things inside his bag, then got up from the chair and walked slowly towards Mark.

"Hyung," Bambam said while spraying some cologne on his clothes, "I have to leave now."

Mark nodded.

"I'll be back in evening," Bambam added, "make sure you eat all of your meals and medicine that the nurse will give to you. Oh, and I leave your phone and earphone here in the table. Just in case."

Mark nodded.

"You know," Bambam scratched his neck, "since you've been getting so much better now, it would be nice if you could leave the room for a while other than going to the bathroom. I think you need to refresh your mind by walking around the hospital. The sight around here is not that bad."

Getting a lifeless nod from Mark again, Bambam sighed.

"Okay, I really have to leave now," Bambam made his way towards the door, waving his hand in a very cheerful way, "see you."

The door was closed and Mark was finally alone, but nothing changed right then. He didn't move an inch. Just like the previous days when Bambam wasn't around, Mark was laying on the bed, doing nothing meaningful. That day, he planned to do the same. His eyes were attached to the boring white ceiling, drowning in his own thoughts, over and over again.

Both of Mark's eyes finally teared up after realizing how bad he missed Jackson. The fact that he could never see him ever again made his sobs became louder. It had been two weeks and one day, but he still couldn't accept it and just move on easily like that. He doubted he ever would.

Mark missed Jackson. A lot. His cheeky smile, his noisy laugh and his addictive touch. Those little things could never get out from his mind. As the suffocating feelings grew bigger and bigger inside his chest, he started to think that perhaps Bambam was right. Maybe he needed some fresh air to be inhaled.

Then Mark decided to get up from the bed. He wore his sandals and stepped his foot on the ground. He stumbled a little because he didn't use to walk for a long time. Even Bambam usually helped him when he needed to go to the bathroom.

When Mark was walking in the hallway, he peeked outside through the window. Thankfully, the weather wasn't that bad that day. Mark trailed his fingers on the window, greeting the sunlight behind it. His lips slowly moved, unclear that he was actually smiling or frowning. Somehow the sunlight reminded him of Jackson; bright and warm.

As his foot stepped outside the building, he deeply inhaled the air around him, remembering what Bambam told him about getting some fresh air. He sat down on a bench, staring at people who walked pass by him. The doctors and the nurses were walking in a quick pace. Also there were some patients who he easily acknowledged because they wore the same clothes as him. They were either alone or accompanied by someone, enjoying the sunlight around them.

"Excuse me, may I sit here?"

Mark looked up to the voice's answer. A raven-haired man was standing not too far from him, wearing a light blue shirt that was wrapped by a dark blue sweater. He threw a smile, showing his eye wrinkles that strangely didn't make him look older.

"Oh, please."

The man smiled, filling the empty space beside him. Mark liked it quiet, but the man tried to start a conversation between them.

"What a nice weather," the stranger hummed happily, "I can feel the warm air through my fingers. It feels so nice."

"Yeah," Mark replied shortly. He didn't talk to many people lately and it felt awkward to have a stranger sat beside him, talking to him like it was a normal thing to do.

"Are you a patient?"

Mark nodded.

"Hello?"

"I am," Mark answered, a lil bit annoyed since the stranger asked him twice.

"Sorry," the man seemed to notice the impatience in his tone, "I'm Jinyoung, by the way. Park Jinyoung."

"Mark Tuan," Mark reached Jinyoung's hand.

When he tilted his body, he saw Jinyoung's other hand was gripping on a white cane, causing him to realized something. He suddenly felt bad for not being aware of it earlier.

"By any chance, what are you doing here?" Mark asked first because he still felt bad to him, didn't want him to feel like he was being ignored.

"Visiting my sister," Jinyoung answered, "she's been in a coma for two weeks. Although she wouldn't know that I come here everyday, I still have to. The other family is pretty busy and I'm the most leisure one, I guess. So I have to take care of her the most."

"I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope your sister will get well very soon."

"Thanks, Mark. I hope so. It means a lot to me," Jinyoung smiled, "and how about you? What brought you here?"

"Poor indigestion," Mark lied because he didn't ready to tell anyone about the truth yet, "I drank too much coffee and eventually it didn't turn out so good."

"Oh, I like coffee too," Jinyoung was excited, "I like espresso the most! What's your favorite?"

"I like them all," Mark replied because he actually didn't know much about it. He actually hated it. He couldn't deal with the bitter taste, "I just drink what's served."

"That's why you got here," Jinyoung laughed, "oh, and I want to say something."

"Yes?" Mark's eyebrows cocked.

"I don't want to meet you here ever again, Mark," he hummed while shaking his head, "please take care of yourself well."

Mark chuckled, "I thought you were going to invite me for a coffee."

"Only if you're willing to sacrifice your precious life for it," Jinyoung snickered, "I mean, coffee is good. I can't even imagine to live without it. Just don't drink too much."

"Okay," Mark put a smile over his face. It felt weird since his muscles didn't use to form it in a long time. He massaged his cheeks, trying to reduce the tense.

"By the way, what time is it?"

"Around 9.30."

"Oh," he replied while getting up, "then I shall go now."

Mark got up as well in instinct, "do you need help?"

"No, I'm fine," Jinyoung smiled, noticing that Mark had noticed something "I've been living like this since I was born, so I should be alright. Don't worry."

"Alright," Mark nodded, sliding his hands inside his pocket.

"See you next time, Mark."

"See you."

Mark stood still, eyes were attached to Jinyoung who was bumping the stick to everything around him while he was walking. It was his first time dealing with a people like Jinyoung and Mark couldn't just stay still, but he couldn't do anything except watching Jinyoung slowly disappeared from afar since the raven refused his help. He even stepped outside the hospital, watching him slowly crossing the road and walking to the bus stop.

"Excuse me, Sir, what are you doing here?"

A nurse suddenly appeared, surprising him who was totally focused.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter