A Cold Day in Hell

Rain
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mark opened his eyes, asking himself where he might be right then. His body was attached to the bed and as soon as he saw some weird equipments in the back of his hand, he realized that he was in the hospital. After everything that had happened as far as he remembered, he must be.

His brain actually didn't remember anything much. The last thing he saw around him was blood, destroyed car and the sound of siren that mixed with raindrops that made his head felt dizzy suddenly that he had to stop remembering everything. That was why he felt so sure that he was in a hospital right then.

His eyes stared to the right side of the bed. He caught Bambam, his neighbor, was sleeping on the chair while his head was on the bed. Mark's heart flinched at the sight. He tried to raise his hand to his hair, but apparently he couldn't do it. His body was aching in pain until he felt like he'd gone numb.

And finally he cried.

Bambam suddenly moved a bit. Mark's low snivel seemed to wake him up from his sleep.

"Mark hyung, are you awake?" Bambam called his name, looking worried and relieved at the same time.

Mark wanted to respond with a smile but his face was too stiff so he couldn't move his lips at all. But soon he realized something, something very important that could make his lips suddenly moving slowly.

"Jackson?"

Bambam shook his head in return then he started shedding tears.

Mark was screwed up. His life was over.

***

It was a cloudy day when the first day he saw Jackson in his life. Rain had been falling from the sky for hours but it's not the time for him to stop working and rest comfortably inside his house while cuddling with his blanket. It was the opposite. His job was a delivery man so he had to work harder than usual since people would like to eat more ramen on a cold day.

Mark needed money so he had to work his off. He rode his bike around the town, wearing a thin raincoat that was actually useless for him. His body was wet from the rain. He was actually fine, but since the rain didn't stop pouring and he had to keep working, after six hours, his body finally felt numb. The shop owner actually told him to stop, but Mark didn't listen to him since he always behaved nicely to him, putting more burden on Mark's shoulder.

It was 6 PM when Mark fell from his bike. His body was laying on the ground and he couldn't move an inch, no matter how hard he tried. Rain poured on his face, causing him hardly inhaling the air. Then a man suddenly appeared on top of his body, waving his hand above his face. It was funny that the rain suddenly stopped when he was showing up.

Mark smiled at the sight. He thought that man was an angel that god sent to pick him up to heaven. He was ready though. He had nothing to lose or live for. But apparently, when he woke up next day by several calls that was dialed by the shop owner who worried if anything had happened to him since he didn't come back until midnight, Mark found out that he's not an angel. He was only a student and soon he learned that his name was Jackson Wang.

Jackson lived by himself in his small apartment. Mark actually felt like he was a burden to him, but seeing Jackson cooked so much food while he was living alone and no one could eat that except him, Mark had no choice but accompanied him to have breakfast together. He was glad that Jackson was a good cook, so he didn't have to pretend telling him the dishes were delicious, because they really were. Plus, Mark was bad at lying.

Mark was always an awkward person. He couldn't easily get close with anyone except they came near him first. And that was what Jackson did. Mark wasn't usually comfortable with a person who blabbering so much, but Jackson was different. Words those coming from his mouth somehow brightened up Mark's mood. That time, he didn't need to pretend to laugh, because Jackson's joke were incredibly funny. He didn't have to pretend that he was interested, because he really was.

If someone told him that destiny is beautiful, Mark would definitely said yes. A few days after their first meeting, Mark delivered a ramen to Jackson's apartment. He ordered two ramen and since his friend that was supposed to eat with him went home earlier, he insisted that Mark should accompany him to eat. And who was Mark to reject? He gladly said yes, spending more hours with Jackson to get to know him more and more.

It didn't take long for them to realize that they were attracted to each other. After getting know each other for a while, Jackson confessed to him, making him as the happiest man on earth. But he also suffered at the same time. Mark actually did came out to his family before he even met with Jackson. He told them that he was attracted to men, and he was beaten up daily since that day.

Dating Jackson didn't make his condition any better, but his life was.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter