Chapter 1

service fault
Please log in to read the full chapter

Nayoung pushes strands of stray hair away from her face and breathes in, taking in the homely scent of the tennis court for the last time that day.

She looks at the tennis racquet she just bought a few weeks back that already has a broken string. "This is why you don't play against Siyeon when she's mad," she says to herself, half intending for her favourite doubles partner to hear. 

"It's really not my fault you overexerted yourself trying to beat Chungha in arm wrestling," Siyeon defends herself, sticking her tongue out, "Besides, don't you rather a broken string than dealing with a mad Siyeon for the whole day?" she has her famous smug grin painted on her face.

Nayoung groans, "I hate you, I really do," she places the racquet in her bag and zips it up, slinging it as she and Siyeon walk out of what was practically their second home. 

"What a well thought out and mature response. As expected of the stone herself," Siyeon teases. Nayoung stares at Siyeon, who glances back at her with her eyebrows raised, almost challenging her. 

The older girl chooses to whine instead, "You know how much I hate that, stop it!" she equips her cute baby voice that even the spawn of the Devil couldn't resist. 

Siyeon fakes a puke and sits down on the chairs at the bus stop, "I kind of hate Chungha and Sejeong for making you so much softer. But I also kind of love them since I don't have to deal with your moodswings alone." 

Nayoung is about to respond when Siyeon nudges her, looking at the road. 

Oh. Her bus is here. 

"Bye you little brat, see you on Wednesday!" Nayoung ruffles Siyeon's hair, gaining a huff in response, "Bye stone, try and not scare away the freshmen with your stone face tomorrow alright?" she chuckles.

Nayoung rolls her eyes and hops into the bus. 

"The freshmen, huh," Nayoung mutters as she sits down, remembering her days as a freshman.

-

Nayoung really only knew two things – tennis and studying. She really didn’t know what to expect on her first day of university. Being unable to get to her first ever university lecture on time because of people crowding around her was certainly not what she expected. 

In hindsight, she shouldn't have been surprised. She was, after all, one of the up and coming doubles players in South Korea’s national youth tennis team. It was only a matter of time before she had fans. 

Thankfully for Nayoung, the lecturer only briefly glanced at her when she opened the door. She scuttled to the nearest seat and found herself next to two girls whispering to each other. 

Nayoung was more than glad when they didn’t notice her presence – she already had more than enough unwanted attention. But she noticed their conversation getting gradually louder, and hoped they’d just keep quiet for a bit. 

The lecturer was still doing the boring introductory things, so Nayoung took the opportunity to listen to what the girls were chattering about.

“For the last time Sejeong, having pineapples on pizza isn’t a food crime. If it was then all pizza restaurants would be jailed,” the long-haired brunette said to the girl next to Nayoung with mid-length black hair. 

“I’m telling you, pineapples don’t belong on pizza. Even Gordon Ramsay said it,” the girl called Sejeong mentioned, “You just can’t deny his words, Chungha, you just can’t!” 

“Oh my god Sejeong, can we just agree to disagree? I told myself I’d stop slacking off in my studies in uni,” Chungha replied. 

“There’s no reason for you to disagree!” Sejeong slammed her fist on her table as quietly as possible, “It’s the truth of life!” 

Nayoung found their conversation amusing to say the least, but she really couldn’t deal with their increasing volume, and the lecturer seemed like he was about to start for real, so she was going to politely te

Please log in to read the full chapter