Rooftop

Studio (One-shot)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

ROOFTOP

 

Min Yoon Gi liked the sky tonight.

Just the sky though.

He sat while looking down from eleven stories above the streets of Gangnam with both of his legs on either side of the rooftop’s ledge. If anyone had managed to spot him from down below, they would have thought that he was going to leap down from the building anytime now.

The rooftop of the apartment he stayed at was his go to sanctuary; he mostly went up here when he wanted to just have a breather, a cigarette or maybe when he was having a ty day, a can of beer or two.

Tonight, he came up here to think - about death in particular.

Yoon Gi pulled up the hood of his hoodie over his head as the night breeze blew against his face. It was exceptionally really cold tonight reminding him that winter was just around the corner. It was not unbearable but it was not comfortable either but still he liked it.

He sighed quietly and closed his eyes as he thought about today’s events.

He felt guilty for ditching his other friends the moment the funeral service ended. He had caught a train straight back to Seoul from Busan and back to his apartment before going up here to this very roof.top He didn’t even bother checking his phone even though he knew his friends would be looking for him and besides his phone was already out of battery anyways.

He wanted to be alone.

No, he needed to be alone.

But of course, the universe hates him.

He heard the door to the rooftop creaked open and slammed shut. Footsteps moved swiftly and this made Yoon Gi open his eyes and allowed them to see who it was that had ripped him out of his peacefulness and solitude tonight. It was rather a surprise for him since no one living in this building really came up here except for him.

A silhouette, which he could tell was a woman stood on the other side of the rooftop with her back facing Yoon Gi. The woman was leaning over the ledge while burying her face in her hands. He noticed the heavy rise and fall of her back as she took in deep breaths and forcing them back out when she was done suffocating herself.

The newcomer probably hadn’t realize Yoon Gi was there too because she hadn’t turned his way when she entered the rooftop. And plus, it was dark up here with the only light source coming from the partially covered moon and the flickering lamp on the wall, right beside the door. It was hard to spot him since he was wearing black from head to toe, perfectly blending in with the shadows. From the way her back rise and fall unevenly and how her frame was shaking, she looked like she was going to have a breakdown anytime soon now.

I guess I’m not the only one having a ty day.

“Stupid!”

Yoon Gi frowned when he heard the woman hissed without lifting her face from her hands. Her voice was quiet soft but there was a lot of anger in it. Like a lot of anger. He then saw her raised her head up with her back still facing him, before she suddenly yelled angrily to the air, “Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!”

She suddenly spun around and kicked the nearest object to her which was an old abandoned television box with a cracked screen. The first time she kicked it, the old television only screeched across the floor. Still not satisfied and unaware of Yoon Gi’s presence, the woman continued kicking the old television, over and over again.

Watching how the small yet fierce woman taking her rage out on the already beat up technology made Yoon Gi thought that she must be really having a ty day to have all that pent up aggression inside of her tiny body

But then again who was he to judge?

After a while, the woman finally stopped after she realized the mess she had made. She just stood there and stared down at the broken piece of furniture. Yoon Gi too just continued to stare at her, still amused at how such a tiny girl could be so violent. If it wasn’t so entertaining to watch her destroy that old television, he would have already scared her away from here. She did after all, disturbed his peacefulness up here when all he wanted was to be alone.

He took the moment to study her carefully. Against the light, he could make out that she was definitely not from this area. No one from this part of Seoul dressed like her. And by that he meant, dressed in designer clothes with perfectly groomed appearance.

It wasn’t until she lifted her head up from the broken television that their eyes met for the first time. The woman didn’t seem to be surprise that she found Yoon Gi up here with her and she certainly didn’t seem to be ashamed that someone had just witnessed her murder the old television. There’s enough light from the moon for Yoon Gi to see her eyes as she studied him with a rather blank look.

“I was here first,” Yoon Gi said, breaking the silence first. “So if one of us has to leave, that would be you,”

The girl stood in silence for a while, just staring at Yoon Gi with one of her perfectly trimmed eyebrow raised.

“I didn’t think I would find another person up here,” She muttered.

Her voice was soft but there was a confidence to it. And also from the way she talked, Yoon Gi knew that she was a smart one. He noticed that her expression suddenly softened as she took a step closer to Yoon Gi. He noticed how she suddenly looked a little distress and somewhat nervous.

“But like…could you like…come down from there?” The woman asked with a frown as she held out her arms, like someone calling out carefully to a scared kitten.

Yep, she seems nervous for a reason.

It wasn’t until a second later that Yoon Gi finally realized the reason why she was acting like that.

How funny, she thought that he was going to jump of the building

When he didn’t respond because he was too busy staring at her, she took another step forward.

“Please come down...” She pleaded softly. “This isn’t the answer to all of your problems...”

“I…” Yoon Gi muttered, still looking at her, suddenly amused. “…I’m not going to jump if that’s what you’re thinking. I’m not suicidal. I live here and I’m just here to get some air,”

“I won’t believe you until you come down from there,” The woman said. “….You’re making me nervous…”

Seeing as how him sitting on the ledge made the woman looked like she was about to lose her , Yoon Gi sighed before he swung his left leg that was dangling in the air over the ledge and jumped down, landing on the floor with both of his feet. The woman sighed in relief as she placed

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter