Where my Destiny Lies

Where my Destiny Lies

 

“Tiffany.” Her angelic voice called my name from the other end of the line.

“Jessica.” I walked towards the window to look at the falling snow, smiling as I was finally talking with her again.

“You’re doing well, right?” Her voice was softer than usual and not as expressive.

“Yes. You only called me twice this whole year.”

“I’m sorry. I was busy.” She replied shortly. “I’m in Paris for a fashion show. It’s beautiful here.”

“It’s snowing in Seoul.” I told her, spreading out my fingers against the cold hardness of the glass. “I miss you.”

“Tiff?” Jessica called my name again, sounding sad and hesitant. “Let’s stop this.”

“What?” My smile turned into a frown and my fingers clenched into a fist.

“You know this won’t work… this long distance relationship.”

“It’s working now, isn’t it?” I tried to reason, blinking hard to prevent my tears from spilling. “What about your promise? You promised that you’ll return after five years.”

Jessica sighed and took the last straw. “I’m sorry. I have someone else.”

Out of my frustration, I punched the window so hard that the glass shattered and the cold wind began to creep into the heart that I have been struggling to keep warm for the last three years…

And I woke up from my nightmare.

I sat up in my bed and shook my head to clear all traces of the atrocious dream I just had. There were traces of tears on my face, mixing with the ones from when I cried myself to sleep. I wiped my cheeks dry and stood up to get ready for the day. The cool water splashed onto my face worked to clear my mind and I smiled while looking in the mirror to reassure and cheer myself up.

“It’s just a bad dream you had because you were thinking too much last night.” I told myself. “Everything is going to be all right, Jessi is going to phone me this afternoon, and we’re going to talk for a long time like we always do.”

The girl in the mirror smiled back, but worry was evident in her eyes.

~~

My friends were talking and laughing around me, but I couldn’t join in. It was already seven at night, the call from Jessica thirty minutes overdue. I glanced at the blank screen of the phone in my hand and nervously reached for the marble in my pocket. The marble provided some comfort to my mind, reminding me of Jessica’s promise. Maybe she’s just busy, she might be stuck at an important show or meeting where she cannot use her phone. I trust her.

Just then, my phone rang, showing an unknown number. I stood up quickly and left the restaurant for a quieter and more private place. I pressed the green button and waited.

“Tiffany.” Jessica called, making me burst into a big smile.

“Jessi!” She chuckled at my excited response.

“Happy to talk to me?”

“Yup! You only called me twice this year.” I told her sadly. “I want to see you so much.”

“I miss you too, Tiff. But I was really busy, I just got out of a show.”

“Where are you now?”

“Paris. It’s fashion week here, so there are shows going on all around. So many designs to analyze and so little time.” Paris?

“Aww, my poor girl.” I nodded my head understandingly. I could feel her smile from all the way on the other side of the world, and it was all silent again.

“Tiff?” Jessica called my name again. With the silence and the sound of her voice, my heart skipped a beat, not liking how our conversation is starting to take a turn to how it was in my dream.

“Y-yes?"

“I’m coming back to Korea.”

“When?” Happiness was bubbling inside at the news, but the tone at which she said it kept it low.

“Next month.”

“Why? This is only the fourth year.”

Jessica sighed, and I gulped and clutched the small ball of glass as if my life depended on it.

“I’m getting married.” No matter how softly she breaks the news, its impact still struck me hard, so hard that I staggered and had to lean on the wall behind. “With someone my parents approved.”

“Don’t you love me anymore?” I asked, tears burning my eyes again.

“Do you believe in destiny?” She asked me back, not answering my question.

“I don’t know. I thought my destiny was with you…”

“I tried. And I can’t win, if you have same feeling as I do. I won’t let this happen.” Jessica said, more to herself than to me. “Can that be an answer?”

“Jess, I don’t get what you are saying.”

“Tiff, I have to go now.” She quickly said, as voices began surrounding her. “I’m sorry. I’ll see you next month.”

Jessica hung up without waiting for me to respond.

“I don’t know about you, but I still love you.” My strength failed me as I slid down to the ground, crying my heart out. My friends came in search for me, and they took me home and tried to piece my broken heart back together, no questions were asked.

 

~~ One month later

The door bell rang while I was making breakfast.

“Who in the world would disturb me this early in the morning?” I mumbled to myself, already annoyed at the unknown person.

But surprise was the only emotion left in me when my eyes fell on the woman standing on the top step of my house. She looked up when the door open and smiled that charming smile of hers.

“Tiffany.” She called my name first, just as she always do. And I was lost for words, unable to believe that she was here in front of me again after four years, smiling that same shy smile, her voice as musical and soft as ever, and looking more beautiful than the angels in heaven.

“Jessi.” I was finally able to speak again when she stepped towards me for a hug

“I need you to come with me for a while.” She held my hand and dragged me to her car. And I let her, for if this was going to be the last time I see her, I’ll give anything to make her happy.

No words were exchanged during the whole ride out of the city, just some smiles. I stared at her when she was focusing on the road, taking in all that I can while I can. The sadness in my heart was overwhelming, and I would have broken down again, if not for the way she was still holding my hand tightly.

“Tiff, we’re here.” Jessica slowly shook my shoulder, waking me up from the sleep I did not know I had fallen into.

I stepped out into snow that was more than half a feet deep. The cold that surrounded me was quickly replaced by the warmth of the coat Jessica placed around my shoulders. She took my hand again and pulled me towards the snow-covered woods. We walked steadily as snow began to fall again overhead. The path we took led us to a frozen lake. There was no one but the two of us. We took a seat on one of the many benches around the lake and watched the ice glisten under the sunshine.

“Do you remember? I promised you that we will come here together once.” Jessica said, smiling at the memory. “Although now’s not the best time to come because the flowers are not in bloom and the swans are in migration, don’t you think it’s pretty?”

I nodded, wondering why she was doing these things all of a sudden. Is it because she is going to disappear after marriage or is it because she still wants to be with me.

“Tiffany?” Jessica once again broke the ice as she stood up and kneeled before me.

“Jessi, what are you doing?!” I exclaimed in surprise.

Jessica smiled at my outburst and took out a pink box. She opened it to reveal a ring with a single diamond in the middle.

“Tiffany, would you marry me?” She asked the question I thought I would never hear from her. Again my heart swelled with happiness, but there was confusion.

“Didn’t you tell me that you were coming back because you were going to marry someone that your parents approve?”

“Yeah I did. And I also told you that I won’t let that arranged marriage happen.” She replied with a smile. “Also I never said that the person I am going to marry is not you.”

“But you implied it? Your parents didn’t approve of us because I’m a girl…” I trailed off with a smile. I would forget the past and just focus on the present and future.

Jessica smiled back, still waiting for me as the snow slowly fell around us. “Your destiny is my destiny. Are you going to accept my feelings?”

I answered with a wider smile. “I believe in destiny, because I believe in you… I believe in us.”