He's a Dreamer

He's a Dreamer

“It’s good to have dreams, Sehun …” Prof Kim Bok So said, looking a little uncomfortable.

                “Something about the way you say it tells me you think otherwise.” Sehun mumbled, giving his professor an exasperated look.

                “I just think you need to be practical. Music isn’t a stable career option, for most people.” Prof Kim took his glasses off his abnormally large nose and cleaned them with a cloth. “I really think you should keep aiming for something in the scientific domain, since you’re already minoring in genetics and biochemistry. Maybe even switch one of those to be your major, since the year has barely begun. I really see a lot of potential in you and-…”

                “I don’t have any interests in pursuing a career in any of those, though.” Sehun was fed up with this conversation. Thankfully, before the professor could further try to push him in a direction he did not want to go, the bell rang. “I’ll be going, in that case.” He bowed his head slightly and slung his bag over his shoulder. His mood was terrible today. Not only was it the third time someone had told him what a terrible idea a musical career was, but his parents had also made plans to take him on a five day trip to visit an relative who owned a hospital, to teach him the joys of medical science. However, on that week, he had an important audition. It’d been scheduled for over three months, but his parents never seemed to have an issue overriding his plans.

 

He marched down the hall towards his musical theory class, usually the highlight of his week, but even the prospect of seeing Prof Byun Baekhyun didn’t seem to delight him. He was partially afraid his professor would be express disappointment that he would be missing his audition, though it wasn’t in his character to do so. He entered the classroom and took his usual seat near the front, avoiding the professor’s gaze. He spent most of the class looking down at a blank page, not bothering to take notes or even listen.

                “Oh Sehun, could you repeat what I just said?” Sehun lifted his head and frowned. Prof Byun Baekhyun was right in front of his desk. “Or anything I said during the lesson?”

                “No, I’m sorry.” He replied flatly.

                “I see.” His professor sighed. “I would like to see you after class, don’t make me run after you.”

                “When do I ever?” Their eyes met for a second and Baekhyun’s lips twitched before he turned away. A bit of Sehun’s bad mood dissipated instantly.

                “Let’s keep going.”

 

“You were distracted in class today.” Baekhyun said, sitting at his desk in a poised manner. A last few students left the room, wishing him a good day. Once they’d gone, his position relaxed.

                “I was.” Sehun acknowledged with a nod.

                “Why’s that?”

                “It’s nothing.” He dropped his bag and sighed. “I’m simply tired of being told my chosen path isn’t the right one. That it’s ridiculous. But I know I have talent.” He hated complaining to Baekhyun. It made him more conscious of the between them. He hated sounding like a petulant child.

                “You do.” Baekhyun’s frown left and it was replaced with a brilliant smile. He stood from his desk and came to stand close to Sehun. “You have immense potential.”

                “But, in the end, a lot of people do. You did too. But…”

                “I ended up teaching classed in a small college.” Baekhyun completed. “It’s not that bad. All I wanted was to share music with others, and that what I do. It’s a compromise. I made the mistake of listening to those who told me it wasn’t worth trying. That I should spend more time working on a backup plan. So I did. And when I realised I couldn’t live that way, it was already too late.” Sehun bit his lips, and looked down. He already knew all of this. This is how they met. This is why they connected. Because he understood. “I want you to succeed, Sehun.” His stomach fluttered. The words sounded so sincere and reassuring.

                “When I graduate… We should leave this place together.” Sehun grabbed his professor’s hands and pulled him closer. “We could try again, together. And if that fails, your diploma isn’t going to just… disappear. But we could give it another shot.” Baekhyun’s smile broadened.

                “We could.” He agreed. “There’s a lot to figure out. But we could. However… It’s no use dreaming about something like that if you’re going to waste time getting upset over a science teacher asking you to major in science.”

                “How did you…?”

                “Prof Kim spends half of his time telling me how I’m wasting your potential.” Baekhyun snorted. “At this point, he seems convinced I’m bribing you to stay in my class.”

                “I mean… aren’t you?” Sehun teased, remembering very well the time Baekhyun had refused to even touch him for a week after he’d skipped his class twice in a row in favour of spending some time with his friend Lu Han.

                “Perhaps a little.” The professor admitted, grinning a bit. He looked up at Sehun, who was slightly taller than him. Sehun oscillated, rocking back and forth on his heels for a bit before leaning down to kiss him. They usually tried to avoid doing it while on campus, but sometimes it was inevitable. His arms slipped around Baekhyun’s waist and he picked him up to sit him on his desk, so they were almost on the same level. Baekhyun’s legs locked themselves around his thighs, pulling their hips together. Sehun pushed a bit too hard against him and the entire desk moved, making a terribly loud sound. They pulled apart for a moment, smiling.

“By the way.” Baekhyun added. “I expect you to catch up on today’s lesson.”