Part 3

Bed Full of Roses
Please log in to read the full chapter

Let's dance tonight to the clock burning every second away, second away, second away.

The fading light,

leaves everything in darkness swallowed and gone, swallowed and gone, swallowed and gone.

  As I wait for Death to arrive, I can't help but get really anxious. It doesn't help that I don't know what day it is, and I don't want to look down at the well because I may get second thoughts on this. Will this truly make Daehyun feel better or will it make matters worse? I don't know the answer, but I try to stay positive because I will be able to see him one last time.

  I pace around the room, constantly thinking about what I should do when I see him. He won't recognize me, but I'm sure he will talk to me when I approach him. He's kind enough to at least say hi, and hopefully, I'll be able to continue to talk to him. Ah! This is so nerve-wracking! Where the hell is Death?

  Just as I have these thoughts, Death comes bursting in the door and announces, "It's time. Come with me."

  I immediately follow him and we stop at the well. I peer down there for the first time today and feel my stomach churn. I can see the students swarming the school and waiting in line while they're being checked to see if they have tickets. A few students had to take off their mask or show their student ID for identification. I can't spot Daehyun until I see a familiar blue car pull up and out comes a skeleton. My eyes widen as I recognize it to be him with our friends following right behind.

  "There he is," I mutter to myself.

  Death simply nods. "Remember, you have until midnight to tell him what you wish to tell him. Once midnight hits, that's when your destiny will take you."

  "Then, that means this is the last time I see you?"

  He nods.

  I hold out a hand because I'm not sure if he is comfortable with hugs. He doesn't seem to be comfortable with a handshake because he stares at my outstretched hand, unmoving. I laugh. "Come on. We can at least say goodbye, right?"

  "Yes."

  I raise an eyebrow.

  "Goodbye, Yoo Youngjae. I hope whatever happens, you and the people you care about will find peace."

  I can't tell if he's sadden by this departure. I know I will because Death has a difficult job. He's never experienced what it's like to be human and feel all the things we feel and experience all the things we experience. The only thing he knows is death, and I find it such a painful job, yet it's beautiful. I remember the day I died and saw that woman pass on. That warm light was captivating and comforting. Does he feel it every time he sends someone off?

  "So, where do I go?" I look around to see the same scenery. The house is behind us and the well is in front.

  Death points his bony finger down the well. "Just fall in. I will guide you through to make sure you end up at the right place. Once you get there, you will have a different face, and I have already chosen your costume."

  I nod my head and give my full trust in him. I can't back away now. Climbing over the walls of the well, I can tell I'm a bit nervous. I have no heartbeat, but the feeling of something leaping out of my chest is very similar. The scene in front of me is in real time. Daehyun stands int he corner while everyone else is dancing and grabbing snacks. His friend Jongup comes up to him, and they begin talking. I can't help but smile, knowing Daehyun at least as people by his side. Without another wait, I jump down.

  It's a strange sensation going down the well. All around me, I can see strange swirls of colors as if going through a time machine. I can feel a slight push on my back as if Death was leading me through this endless portal. My stomach churns and I clutch it as it isn't a feeling I'm used to. Let's just hope that I don't vomit whenever I'm human again. Closing my eyes, I wait until I reach Earth.

  I find myself in the restroom and head out without even checking myself. Bursting through the doors of the gym, the first thing I hear is the booming music, beating at my ear drums. I immediately am blinded by a red spotlight that quickly changes direction. Reaching out my hand and looking down at my body, I find myself wearing tattered clothes and covered with fake scars. Apparently, I'm a zombie. I can't tell if I'm in someone else's body or if this is a new body Death created for me. Looking around, I try to find Daehyun, but there's so many people, I can't seem to spot him.

  As I'm looking, someone grabs my shoulder and yells, "Hey, I was calling you! What's wrong, Jaebum?"

  Jaebum? Wait, Jaebum? Why am I in Jaebum's body? This guy is one of Daehyun's friend, and not only that, but he was also my lab partner for Chemistry! Did Death make a mistake or was this all part of the plan? I can't tell since there's no way in communicating with Death now. "Uh. Yeah. Sorry, I couldn't hear you because of the music," I shout, trying to cover up my confusion.

  The guy who called me squinted his eyes at me. Based on his costume, it looks like he's a hybrid between a pirate and a ghost. "But I've been talking to you since forever. Were you really not listening to what I've been saying this whole time?"

  Ah, crap. This is not good. I scratch the back of my head. "Sorry about that." I don't even know this guy's name, and on top of that, how does Jaebum act? I just don't know. "Uh. I'm going to the restroom. I'll be back."

  "What? But here I am, pouring my heart out, asking if I should ask Naeun for a dance, and here you are leaving me!"

  "Just ask her! There's nothing wrong with that!" Just leave me alone so I can find Daehyun. I don't have time talking to you right now... Whoever you are. 

  His eyes widen and even through his makeup and in the dark, I can see he's blushing.

  "Just do it," I say and escape from him, heading back to the restroom. I lean against the sink and stare at myself through the mirror. Dang. This guy did really well in his makeup. I wouldn't have recognized him if it weren't for his friend calling out his name. I take a deep breath. Alright, since I'm in Jaebum's body, I have to be careful about what I do because I don't want to ruin his reputation. Ah! Why did Death have to give me a body that's existing! I thought he's going to give me a dead one to work with! At least no one will recognize me.

  "Alright, Youngjae. You can do this. It's still early, so you have time to talk to him. That's all you need to do. You don't have to reveal yourself, but just tell him that everything will be okay. I will be okay. And there's no need to worry. Yes," I give myself this pep-talk but deep inside, I already know that plan may not work. After all, why would anyone believe in that and suddenly make a 180. Healing takes time, but hopefully after talking to Daehyun, the healing will come at a quicker time.

  With a deep breath, I return to the dance and see that Daehyun is making his way to the snacks. I try to follow him, only to be blocked by another guy. This time, I recognize him.

  "Oh, Jongup!" I exclaim. Why am I constantly being interrupted? Sure, I have time, but I need as much time as I can to talk to Daehyun! I don't need these constant distractions.

  "Hey, Jaebum. So I have a question."

  "Shoot." Ah, what did I just do? I'm pretty sure Jaebum doesn't say that. Only I do among the friends.

  He doesn't seem to notice and asks, "How'd you do your makeup? It looks so good."

  Jongup tries to poke my face, but I evade it. Even though this body is human, I'm afraid that his finger might go through me considering how long I've been a nonexistent apparition. I try to think of something vague. "It takes practice, skill, and patience. But it's all worth it." I wonder where Daehyun is now.

  Jongup continues to talk to me while I try my best to answer him without revealing too much. I can't get out of character, but then again, I don't really know how Jaebum acts. He may be my chemistry partner, but that doesn't mean I pay attention to him 24/7. Plus, he's more of Daehyun's friend, not mine. As I talk to Jongup, I try to keep my eyes on Daehyun, but at one point, he disappears in my view and I panic.

  "Uhm. I'll tlak to you later," I say and make my way pass him.

  My eyes dart in every direction, trying to search for Jung Daehyun, but he's nowhere to be found. Instead, I see people staring at me, wondering why I'm standing in the middle of the dance floor not dancing. I ignore them and make my way through them, trying not to accidentally shove them because I don't want to start unnecessary drama and cause Jaebum's reputation to g

Please log in to read the full chapter