Part 2

Bed Full of Roses
Please log in to read the full chapter

There are shadows in the closet.

I said when I was just a little girl, foolish and young, with an innocent tongue outspoken.

Are they still there?

If they are gone, will they be waiting and greeting me with warm welcomes and smiles, as I go with them while I'm broken?

 When I woke up, I found myself standing in a deep void with nothing but darkness engulfing me. I couldn’t tell what was up or down as my feet felt nothing but air. All I could see was myself as the "ground" below me reflected me like a puddle after a rainy day. I wore a white suit, and I had no shoes.

 “There seems to be a problem,” Death’s voice echoed in my ear, but he was nowhere to be found.

 “What do you mean?” I shouted.

 Silence filled the blackness.

 “Death! What do you mean? Where am I?” This was not the place I have imagined after death. It’s too cold and empty. I shivered as I thought that I was in the opposite of where I wanted to be. What did I do to deserve this?

 “Do not worry. You are safe here,” Death’s voice returned. This time, he sounded to the right of me.

 When I turned, I found Death standing a little ways away from me and behind him was a small cottage with a single well in front. I hesitated to take a step forward, but I gathered up my courage and breathed a deep breath. “What is this place?” As I neared, the scenery changed before me. The dark abyss turned to gray skies and grass emerged from the ground.

 Death’s gaze followed my every move, but he said nothing.

 I reached the well and leaned over the short wall. What I saw caused my eyes to widen and my chest to twist. Within the still water, I saw a vision of Daehyun on the phone. I could hear nothing, but watch as his cheeks turned red and tears dripping down his face. His hand clutched the phone on his ear and his whole body trembled. He dropped to his knees.

 “Dae.” I reached down the well, bringing my whole torso over the wall, but I felt Death’s hand over my shoulder. The same comforting feeling coursed over me. I turned to him and could feel my tears threatening to come out. “Where am I?” I asked once more. My throat tightened.

 Death was expressionless, but his voice was filled with sympathy. “You have entered my home. The reason? I do not know. I have no control where a person goes. I only guide them to the afterlife.”

 “How long will I be here?”

 His eye shifted to the side. “That depends on you.”

 I grabbed his arms and stared at his only eye. “I don’t understand. I accepted my death, so why am I here? There must be something else! I-I-I don’t want to stay here!” It’s just too lonely. The tears that I tried holding back flowed like a river, staining my cheeks and my white suit. I bowed my head so Death wouldn’t see.

 He sighed. “You aren’t the first one who has entered my home. It may take years until you realize the reason why you are here.” He paused and spoke slowly, “However, I do know if you were sent here, there is still a small amount of doubt within you.”

 I looked up at him. My blood boiled. “Doubt? I willingly accepted you! Why would you think I had doubt? I left everything behind, so I could come with you. And yet, you say I had a little bit of doubt?” I spun on my heels and crossed my arms over my chest. He must be crazy after sending all those lost souls to their rightful place.

 “I do not make any of these decisions. I simply do my job,” he repeated. “If you wish to pass on, then you must remember.” His voice was fleeting.

 “Remember what?” I looked over my shoulder, but didn’t find him standing behind me. “Death?”

 His head poked out from behind the cottage door. “I assume you do not wish to room with me, but you have no choice. Do not worry, it is much larger inside.”

 I pouted my lips and heaved a sigh. I was going to live with Death. I was going to live with Death. It was a comical thought at that time. After all, I should be dead already. I stepped into Death’s home and found myself in a modern model.

 It confused me as I saw a kitchen, dining room, and living room right in front of me. To the right and left were doors leading to a bedroom.

 Death must’ve noticed my bewilderment because he started to explain, “It’s rare for me to have guests, but I assume you wish to live in something like this rather than a straw bed. I do not sleep, so you may choose whichever room suits you.”

 I walked through the living room and found two couches facing each other with a wooden coffee table in between them. There weren’t windows nor lights, but the room seemed to be lit. I entered the room to my right and I caught my breath.

 The room in front of me appeared just like my bedroom at home. It’s black and white scheme with turquoise as its contrast filled my eyes. All my stuffed animals sat upright on my bed and against the pillows. My posters of my favorite bands were all along the walls. My books were a top a shelf at the left side corner of my room.

 I stepped inside and immediately went to where my bedside drawer was. There, I found pictures of my family and my friends. But my eyes seemed to linger on the picture of Daehyun and I during Homecoming. This was before we were going out and we were just friends, but on that night we unintentionally matched and decided to take a picture just for the fun of it. Ever since then, I believed this was my favorite photo of us.

 I picked up the frame and held it against my chest. I wondered if he would be okay.

 After moments of holding it, I placed it back to its place. Funny how I wasn’t angered about the fact that this room was exactly like mine and how it brought back so many memories. In fact, I was grateful. “I will take this room.”

It’s been almost a year since that incident happened. Actually, I don't know if it's been a year because I lose time just being here. The only thing that makes me assume that it's another year is seeing everyone through the well. I’m sitting on top of Death’s w

Please log in to read the full chapter