Chapter Two: Burial

The Sky Above Us

 

I buried my father the next day.

Since it rained most of the night, the ground was wet and easy to dig up. But the water turned the dirt into mud, so it was heavy and hard to move. By the time I was done, my back was sore and my hands bloodied from the wooden shovel. Some men came from the village and offered to help, but I turned them all away. He was my father, and this was my job. I didn’t care that my dress and feet were caked in mud, nor did I care that my hands burnt like fire.

Ajumma dressed him in the nicest clothes I could find for him. When I came back, she had called her eldest son’s to help bury him again. I protested against it until Ajumma raised her voice.

“You are not the only one hurting Hyeon min.” She said, sadness laced on her face. “Your father would not approve of the way you acting.”

I then backed down, and accepted her son’s help. He was older, around 40, and had a family of his own. I apologized for being disrespectful to him, then apologized later on for inconvienancing him. After that was done I went to clean up for the funeral. I wrapped my hands in white cloth so the cuts and scraped didn’t get infected. The pink ribon that held my hair together stood out against my black and white clothing

:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

“I did it!” I cried happily as I ran down the beaten dirt path to home. I was now seven, and worked hard on that move he showed me two years ago. I had gained many cuts, bruises and sprains along the way, but I was proud of them.

Father had looked up from his cooking then smiled. “Did what?” he asked. “Did Ajumma ask you to make some tea and and you burnt down her home again?”

I glared and pouted. “I didn’t burn it down, only one wall and they rebuilt it in a few days. But that’s not what I did.”

“Well then what did you do?”

“I perfected that move!” I cried happily.

Father then got up. “Well then show me.”

Backing up and showing him the movie. I landed perfectly, then turned to Abuji grinning from ear to ear. “Now I get that hair ribbon you promised me?”

It got silent.

“What ribbon?” He asked.

“You said if I perfected the move I got a new ribbon for my hair.” He then looked down and had his forehead crease, what it would normally do when he was thinking hard. Few more seconds went by.

You promised!” I cried, stomping my foot, getting inpaitent.

“I did?” Abuji set down his spoon he was stirring tonight’s dinner with. He rubbed his chin, deep in thought. “Hm…I guess I did didn’t I?”

I pouted and glared. “Yes you did…”

Abuji stood up and walked over to me. I hoped he really didn’t  forget, the market was closed by now and we wouldn’t be able to shop.

He then crouched down to my level and reached into his sleeve. Out came a beautiful bright pink silk ribbon. My eyes grew wide.

“YOU DIDN’T FORGET?!”

“Of course not” He laughed back, a little startled by my yelled suprise.

He grinned, seeing my face light up at the sight of it. He had me turn around and he untied the my old dirty cotton ribon that held tight my hair before, then tied the silk ribbon around the end before my braid fell apart.

Since my braid was long, I pulled it forward and marveled at the pink silk ribbon. It was so soft and shiny in the sunlight that was beginning to set on the horizon.

“Thank you so much Abuji.” I said, then I looked up at him. He was grinning from ear to ear.

“You’re welcome Hyeon min,” he crouched down to my level and placed his hand on my shoulder “I am so proud of you.”

I grinned. “So how do I look in my new ribbon Abuji?” I asked, while hyperly spinning around.

“Beautiful. Very beautiful.” He said, the grin never leaving his proud face. He stared at me silently for a little bit, then stood up. “Now, go wash up for dinner, you’re all sweaty. Only boys sweat you know.”

:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

“Are you ready Hyeon min?” Ajumma walked into the room.

I turned to her and nodded. “I think I am.”

The hanbok was a typical black and white but was made out of nice silk with the chinese traders dragon monogram engraved. It wasn’t right spending so much on a funeral dress.

Ajumma was also dressed up in the same style hanbok as mine. I’m starting to wonder if she ever knew people with money. I walked out of the house with Ajumma’s hand in mine, and looked around. “Where is your son?”

“I had him finish burying your father while you were getting dressed. I figured if I didn’t, you would pry the shovel away from him so you could do it yourself.” Ajumma said, slipping on her shoes and stepping down from the house.

“I wouldn’t do that in this dress!” I cried, following her, gently lifting the skirt of my hanbok to my ankles so it wouldn’t drag in the dirt. I followed her up the hill and met her son. He was wiping the sweat off his brow and the mud off his hands. I bowed to him. “Thank you so much for doing this for me.”

He just smiled. “You’re welcome. I think I will head home now and clean up if you don’t need anything else.”

“We will be fine dear…go kiss my grandchildren for me.” Ajumma said, then walked further up the hill to the grave.

Once her son left, we stood there in an awkward silence. She looked up at me after a long while and smiled lightly. “Do you have anything to say dear?”

“I…I don’t know what to say.” I admitted, staring at my feet.

“Say what you feel…” Ajumma said, patting my hand.

I took a deep breath. “I miss you already…and I know I will miss you for the rest of my life. I love you so much Abuji. Thank you for teaching me so much and taking care of me so well. I hope you are proud of me.”

Ajumma smiled then looked around. “Hyeon min, go pick those flowers at the bottom of the hill so we can set them on the grave.”

I nodded, lifting my skirt again and making my way down the hill. I picked the flowers that were fully bloomed, then walked back up the hill. I looked at Ajumma, then noticed she was wiping her eyes. I didn’t say anything and sat the flowers on the gave, crouched down, closed my eyes and prayed. I heard Ajumma move next to me, and I opened my eyes to see she was doing the same.

We stayed there for a little while until we noticed storm clouds rolling in on the horizon. We went back to Ajumma’s house as quick as we could so our good clothes wouldn’t get wet. We both changed into our normal clothes and Ajumma began to make dinner while I sat on the porch and watched the dark clouds come closer and closer.

And as the rain started to come down, I once again began to cry with the sky.

 

___________________________________________________________________

 

Sorry about the reallly late update. We've both have been busy. haha

I hope things aren't getting too dragged out but Ji and Tabi will appear soon. 

 

- Chahochi

If I play it right they will be making an apperance next chapter, so look foreward too it!

- ChibiStarz