final

speak your mind even if your voice shakes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Italic means sign language. Enjoy!

-

 

“Your son is healthy, your majesty. At least for now.” The doctor said quietly when he entered the royal chambers.

“What do you mean with that?” The King asked, leaving his wife alone sleeping in her bed. She had just given birth to their second son who was three weeks earlier born than expected.

“There is always the risk that we can not find everything now because he's too small or not every system is developed enough. We need to wait some months or even years to be 100% sure.” The doctor answered looking over to the bed where the Queen slept peacefully. “Did someone came by to check on her?”

“Yes, some minutes ago.” The King answered already back in his own thoughts. “Are there dangers that he will develop an illness later?”

“I'm sorry to say so but yes. There will are still high chances but it will not be something problematic like a disability or that he can't move parts of his body.”

“Hopefully.”

-

Maybe the world hated the small baby of the royal family, maybe it was just fate. The second born, Taeyong was his name, indeed did not develop a disability. But he was mute. The doctor prognoses him with muteness when he was just two.

“I apologize but your son will never talk.”

The Queen started crying after this, still holding her small son. “And there is no way-? I mean, can you help him?”

“I'm not sure. His vocal cords are not really developed, maybe they will be in ten years, twenty is also possible. But for the moment exist no other solution or a quick method to help him.”

“And what should we do? Letting him grow up without a way to communicate?”

“There is a way, it's called sign language. You will need a teacher to help him learning it, your majesties.”

“But everything else is okay?”

“Yes, his system is developed enough now. He won't be deaf or will have something different that will influence his senses but perhaps he will be a bit smaller than other children at his age. And there is a possibility that he will develop a depression when he's older. Unfortunately, it happens quite often and mostly because people who are mute can't tell someone their problems or at least talk about.”

-

Taeyong was indeed healthy when you leave out some circumstances. He was a bright child that smiled a lot, played with his older brother and ate his vegetables without throwing a tantrum. His hands were always doing something, his mouth wasn't closed often. The only difference to other children was that there was no sound coming out.

"Do you want a sweet?” His older brother, Taeil, asked him, holding a small bag full of colorful, sweet bonbons.

Taeyong nodded, I'd love too.

“Here, take them.” Taeil handed him the half and smiled brightly.

Taeyong wasn't stupid like most people expected him to be. Just because there was no sound leaving his lips, people started to gossip that the young prince had a brain damage. There were rumors circling outside the castle, saying Taeyong was disabled and needed to be fed because he wasn't healthy and weak. Everyone imagined the young prince to be someone ugly who laid in bed all day, slobbering.

Of course, Taeyong never realized about the rumors when he was young, he grew up isolated from the outside, inside his chambers with maids who communicated through sign language and easy sentences with him.

He was a four year old boy now, having brown fluffy hair and bright brown eyes who looked everywhere around, searching nonstop for something interesting.

“Ah here you are.” The foster-mother said, walking through the door. “Your parents like to see you, Young Princes.”

“Of course, we'll come.” Taeil answered for the two of them, taking his younger brothers hand. “Come with me Tae, mother and father are waiting.”

Taeyong showed his reaction in a simple nod since he couldn't move his other hand and followed his brother.

-

At the age of 12, Taeyong still hadn't seen the world from behind the palace gates.

“It's not safe for you, Taetae.” Jisung said, when his brother asked him the same question, like so often, with his hands.

Sure.

“Yes, at least they said so. I mean, the people outside won't understand sign language. And when something happens to you, you can't call for help or shout for someone.” His younger brother explained. Jisung was three years younger than him but still smart. The young boy with the light blonde hair was more quiet and always in his own thoughts but he also spend a lot of time with his elder bothers. “Taeil got some cake from the kitchen staff, we should go before he eats it by himself.”

Taeyong followed his brother with a soundless giggle to the gardens where the oldest prince was sitting on a bench with a small basket. “You made it right in time.” He said with a bright smile, making some space so his brothers could sit down too.

“It's strawberry cake.” Taeil informed the other two and handed them their pieces.

It tastes good, Taeyong showed with his hands after he took a small bite.

“Of course or do you think I'll get you inedible cake? Otherwise I would be a terrible brother.”

“Maybe you want to poison us. Who knows?” Jisung said between two bites. “Ah I missed this, I had my last strawberry cake last year.”

Why? They make it multiple times over the year.

“I'm too lazy to go to the kitchen Tae. It's too far away from my room.”

“Then send your servants. You know that you've got them for this?”

Jisung just shrugged and finished his slice. “Where have you been all day Taeil?”

“School. Or better, I had private lessons again. You know that I have to take over our country and they want me to be prepared as best as it's possible.”

Sounds like a lot of work.

“It is.” Taeil smiled friendly at his younger brother. “You should be happy that you don't have so much stress.”

-

Taeyong made the first sound in his life when he was 14. It was a warm Sunday morning, right after his birthday. The Royal Family had gathered in the dining hall for breakfast, Taeyong sitting happily between his brothers in front of his grandparents. The table was full with foods, pancakes, meat, fruits and some cheese, leaving no wish out.

Jisung was already happily eating his third bun while Taeyong still did not feel hungry.

“Start with some tea, the appetite will come later.” His grandmother said and winked to him. And like the good grandson he was, Taeyong took his cup and sipped some.

He forgot that it was still hot, so there was a burning pain on his tongue immediately.

“Ahh!” It was just a quiet, week sounding noise but everyone had heard it. There was an uncomfortable silence before everyone started talking, running around like there was an attack happening. One of the servants even fainted.

“Quick, call a doctor!” The King shouted while his wife rushed over to her son.

“Taeyong, oh my lord, you just… Maybe there's a chance that he's still able to speak… Oh my god…”

“Sit down.” His grandmother instructed her daughter. “Don't overreact, you'll just stress yourself.”

“Tae, you can talk!” Jisung squeaked and hugged his brother tightly.

“He hadn't spoke, he just made a sound.” Taeil said, looking more relaxed than the rest of the present people in the room. “Quick, Jisung let go of him, the doctor is here.” He then suddenly said.

Like always, the doctor asked Taeyong to open his mouth wide, so he could take a look. “Well, I'm not sure. I need to examine the young prince a bit more before I can say something about his condition. But I assume it's like I thought, maybe you can remember what I told you some years ago, your majesty. It's possible that Prince Taeyongs voice strings will be developed enough one day, so that he will be able to speak.”

“You really think it's possible?”

“More than ever before.”

-

The first time Taeyong is allowed to leave the castle, he's 18 years old. He is still mute but now there are sounds that will escape his pink lips from time to time, like a laugh or painful sound. He loves these little noises and his new hobby was to annoy or scare Jisung with it.

Taeil hadn't any time for his younger brothers anymore since his coronation was coming soon. The whole palace was being prepared, there were servants everywhere, carrying bins full with violet roses and plates with food. The whole palace was being cleaned, even the places where the servants slept.

“Everything needs to be perfect.” The Queen reminded her two sons again who were currently trying on their uniforms. It consisted of a jacket in a dark blue with golden shoulder pads and a light blue sash, black trousers and back leather boots. A tailor was modifying some small things, like sewing the royal emblem on their chests.

For Taeyong it was the first time to wear his royal uniform. He was never presented to the outside before, he had never been drawn on one of the family portraits, so it haven't been necessary. Now, finally, his parents decided to at least present him to stop the terrible rumors that were circulating in the kingdom.

For Jisung it wasn't a big deal. He had been outside the palace plenty of times but never missed the jealous glances his brother tried to hide. He felt bad for being not allowed to talk about Taeyong outside his gorgeous home since ever. He had been presented at dances and banquets, always smiling, always playing his parents game, always controlling himself about what he was saying. It made him feel sick and it didn't help that Taeyong acted like he was okay with it.

“Are you nervous?” He asked his brother who was standing next to him on a platform.

“Of course he is.” The Queen said, giving her son no chance to answer. She had given up on him ever learning to speak. Of course she still accepted him as her son but she hadn't any strength left for him. Some years ago she started to think that it was her fault that she was mute. She was the one who gave birth too early to him and now she wasn't even believing in his son anymore. And now, the Queen was just ashamed of him.

Taeyong looked down to his feet, not daring to move. Maybe he was mute, maybe he was not as perfect as his brothers but he wasn't stupid. He knew his mother didn't loved him the same way as she loved Jisung and Taeil.

-

It was early in the morning when a servant boy woke Taeyong up, telling him it was time to get ready. The young prince was nervous. The palace personal, important generals, ministers and counselors knew about him and his muteness but not the majority of the people he would meet today.

It was Taeils crowning day.

He took a long bath, hoping it would wash the anxious feelings away. After that, it didn't took him long to get in his uniform with some help of the servant boy who had woken him earlier. He decided to skip breakfast and just stay at his chambers, searching a small notebook and his pen. Since nobody would be able to communicate with him through sign language, he decided to write.

A small knock on the door brought him back to reality. Since Taeyong couldn't answer, the door was just being opened and Taeils head popped up.

“Ah, you're here, I knew it.” He said with a small smile. “Are you not feeling well?”

I could ask you the same. You're so white like a sheet of paper.

“Yeah, I knew. I wasn't in the mood for food too but I had to appear at the family's breakfast. Unlike you.” Taeil said with a hint of sadness in his voice.

Are you okay?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter