Part 4

My Secret
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She looks puzzled.

My hands rested on my knees as I try to catch my breath from running that little distance that honestly no one would have trouble with though. I swear I look like a dog panting. Unsightly to her, probably. Shut up, I know I’m the Student President but do I need to need to be necessarily be good at everything? That’s just a dumb stereotype…

I feel a hand caressing my head lightly. I looked up and saw her warm smile shining unto me.

My heart stops.

Then it starts beating madly and aggressively; like it was about to burst out of my ribcage anytime.

“Hi?”

Was it a question or a statement? Her tone confuses me and I could feel the heat on my face. Am I blushing?

With that, I came back to my senses, realising that her hand has been on my head for quite a while. I don’t how long is a while, but it was most probably a minute or so. I instinctively took a step back, causing her to flinch but her face expressions don’t change.

The weather wasn’t particularly hot nor was it summer but the heat was getting to me. I loosen the tie a little and opened a button on my uniform subconsciously.

“I-” We both cut into each other sentence, like a scene from a drama.

I swear it wasn’t planned for both of us to start our sentence at the same time but it was hella awkward.

“You can go first…” I flashed a (nervous) smile.

“Alright…” She giggled. “I was planning to go to Blanche for some coffee. Ahh… I missed the coffee there.”

 

 

 

-planning to go to Blanche for some coffee.

 

 

 

Her words echoed. Wasn’t she angry at me for saying those words? Wait, wait, wait. Was it not the reason why she didn’t appear? Because I somehow “rejected” her? I’m so stupid. I stupidly assume everything. Maybe she had some other reasons? Those words certainly soothe the worries in my heart a little.

Maybe it wasn’t me after all.

“What were you going to say?” She asked out of curiosity.

“I…wanted to ask you if you wanted to head to Blanche together.” I hoped my clever attempt in changing the subject work.

“Really? All that running and chasing after me just to ask me that? Im Nayeon?”

There it is, her signature sly smirk that I absolutely hated the most. The know-it-all-smirk. It was like she always knew I was lying or know my true intentions. It made her seemed like she always had the upper hand on me.

“If you don’t’ want to then…” I shrugged my shoulders and walked off.

If she doesn’t want to then what for am I embarrassing myself for? Why is it turning out like this? I haven’t even asked her about her reason for not coming for a week. Not that I care anyways…

Or maybe I do.

 

“Wait up. I was kidding.” I stopped.

The same warm hand that caressed my head forcefully stopped me in my tracks as she held me by the wrists, preventing me from walking any step further. Truthfully, I was a little ecstatic when she did that. I had no reason to reject.

"Let's go together.” She gripped my wrist a little.

 

 

To my surprise, I find myself walking along “The Flower Path”. A path which people even rarely even use because it was longer. I find myself intaking the familiar waft of flowers. What’s more surprising was that, Jeongyeon was leading us towards the café. I’ve been so focused on staring at her back while walking behind her, occasionally staring at her empty left hand.

I had an unexplainable urge to wanting to grab her hand whilst staring.

I just somehow ended up on “The Flower Path” while following her lead. Although Jeongyeon didn’t had her earpiece on, none of us uttered a word so far. But it didn’t feel awkward, the smell of flowers was familiar, nostalgic and gave me a different feeling otherwise.

“Aren’t you going to ask me why I didn’t turn up for a few days?” She asked as we continued walking down the path.

“Why would I? I’m not interested in knowing anyways.” My voice trembled.

“Typical Im Nayeon. Savage.” She giggled.

“But I guess it wouldn’t hurt a single insect to know the reason.” I smiled; not like she could see me smiling from the back anyways.

Despite the response, that heavy feeling still loitered around my heart, still thinking that I could still be possibly a reason to her absence. I should have answered properly instead of acting like the usual princess character, who am I to be sitting in a higher position than her? Dumb pride as always. Maybe it was better like this, I thought.

“It’s because- “.

My throat felt a little too dry.

“-my dog was kinda sick.” I could hear her sigh.

I sighed in relief. I felt like the dumbest person in the world right then. Silly me. So, so silly. The knot in my heart was finally loosen. Why did I overthink the matter so much?

Why did I care so much that I said something that would hurt her feelings? Didn’t I wanted her to give up on me because she likes me? Wasn’t it the best situation for me? To completely erase her from my boring days and nights? What was it that I was holding onto so much for me to feel completely devastated about her possible reactions to the words I mouthed out?

Countless questions raced through my mind.

What is it exactly?

 

She halts and faced me with a puzzled(?) expression on her face.

“Why did you sigh with me? It’s my dog, not yours?”

“Uh… had a similar experience about my dog too. She passed away a few years ago.” I lied. “Take care of your dog well.” My throat felt like a drought.

“Sorry to hear that…” Her facial expression softens.

“It’s okay. Tell me more about your dog.” I smiled with a tinge of anxiousness.

“So, my dog…” She goes on and on about her dog.

She looks lively when she talks about her pet. I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter