EP18

200N (A Love Paradox)

EP18

~~

[Arin’s POV]

 

Class is always boring for me. I cant seem to even last for ten minutes—unless there is group work or some activities. If there isn’t anything interactive, then I get bored and my mind goes off to things I would just randomly think about.

 

English used to be my forte. But right now, I just cant seem to focus on it. Even the fly that was circling around Hyo’s face seemed interesting.

 

I was watching the fly going about, buzzing on his forehead. He doesn’t even notice it. If it was a cockroach, the room would go into chaos. He hates cockroaches. What a sissy.

 

I don’t know if he’s just ignoring the fly, or that he doesn’t notice it yet. But it was just there on his forehead, and he was busy doodling on his notebook.

 

He was just seated two persons away from me. Next to him was Alexus who fell asleep while taking down notes. I don’t know what they’re doing at night. They’re usually locked up on Sundays. And when Monday comes, they both look really haggard and would sleep throughout the first subject in the morning.

 

Alexus’ head was resting on the palm of his hand. His elbow was on his desk. His mouth was starting to open.

 

This is disturbing. I cant stop looking, though.

 

Suddenly the instructor coughed. It caught my attention that I immediately straightened up and acted like I was listening all along.

 

“Ehem.” She coughed again. “Sorry guys, something was stuck in my throat. Now, as I was saying...”

 

That almost gave me a heart attack!

 

I turned my head to the two again. Alexus fell asleep again, in the same position. Hyo yawned. And the fly went back to circling around his forehead.

 

I must be very bored of this subject because watching them—both boys and the fly—seemed so much more interesting than what the instructor was discussing.

 

I already know about clauses. Why do we have to discuss it?

 

I watched the fly buzzing around. Maybe it got bored of Hyo’s forehead because it suddenly went to buzz around Alexus’ face. Ah, his mouth is open.

 

Oh, no.

 

Out of impulse I tossed my eraser aiming at Alexus’ face. It hit his nose and he snapped awake. The fly buzzed away.

 

Hyo was also startled by the eraser that his sleepy eyes went wide with surprise. Dani and Chiaki who were sitting between me and Hyo looked at me.

 

“What was that? You aimed quite far.” Chiaki whispered into my ear.

 

“There was a fly, it was about to go inside Alexus’ mouth.” I say. Chiaki stifled a laugh.

 

From the corner of my eye I saw Alexus bending down to pick up the eraser.

 

Yabai. I just realized my name was written on it.

 

I noticed he gave me a glance then he went back to writing notes.

~~

“Ahhh, it’s finally over!” Chiaki stretched out her arms.

 

“I want to eat pastil today!” Dani says. “Girls, what do you think? Wanna try the pastil at the canteen back in our building?”

 

“You girls only?” Hyo piped up. “Fine. Go ahead. You’re always leaving us out.”

 

“You should have a guys’ time too.” Chiaki says.

 

“I have a bento today.” I say. “I made enough for the girls, though.”

 

“Waaaaaaah! Saranghae, Saranghae Arin!” Dani hugged me. “But I still want the chicken pastil with eggplant, so we’ll eat at the canteen at our building.”

 

“Iyo, iyo. Ikuso!” I say.

 

“Aren’t you girls going to share with us?” Jaden pouted.

 

“I will share with you!” Chiaki lovingly pinched her boyfriend’s cheek.

 

“Ah, don’t go lovey-dovey in front of us. It’s an insult to all of us who are single here.” Demetra says.

 

Colin was standing behind her. They’re not talking at all. This is really awkward. Even the guys weren’t able to get anything from him yet. Although he rejected Demi’s confession, he wasn’t being distant at all. I don’t get him. Physically, he’s not distant. But verbally? Well...

 

Our English classes were held at the CAS Building. CAS was divided into two wings. The left wing was the literature and humanities departments and the right wing was the science departments. While going down the stairs from the second floor, someone suddenly puts an arm around my shoulder.

 

“Eh?! Nani?” It was Alexus. He was walking beside me, smiling suspiciously.

 

“Xu!!” That familiar voice again.

 

Alexus and I turned our heads to the set of stairs from the science department’s second floor. His ex-girlfriend’s smile looked awkward all of a sudden as she waved at him.

 

I saw him smile and wave at him.

 

“Who was that?” Hyo asked.

 

“His ex-girlfriend.” Dani answered quietly.

 

She was going up those stairs. After waving at him, she ran up the stairs to catch up with her friends.

 

“I thought she was an arts major.” I say to Alexus.

 

“No, she’s marine biology major. But we’re first years remember?” he says. “It’s natural for us to take on all the basic subjects.”

 

“Ah, sou.”

 

“Besides.” He adds. “We’re engineering students but why do we have literary subjects?”

 

“I get what you mean.” I say. “But why are you getting so close to me all of a sudden?”

 

“We’re close friends.” He says. “There’s nothing wrong with this right?”

 

“Ehh...” was all I could say. He was smiling. It was charming, but it got to my nerves that I suddenly had the urge to punch him.

 

“Hoy! Kamo duha!” Hyo suddenly yells at us.

[Hoy, You two!]

 

“What are you two doing? It’s creepy.” Dani mutters.

 

Demi walks towards us. “Get away from her, I’m getting jealous.” She tells Alexus.

 

“I’ll see you at the picnic area by ten in the evening.” He whispers to my ear.

 

“Eh? Nande?”

 

He just winked at me. By the time he did so, Demi got a hold of his arm and forcefully removed it from me. Demi linked arms with me and the three of us started walking with our friends.

 

What does he want from me at that time of the night?

 

[snip]

 

TRIVIA TIME~

 

So, Do you guys remember the jumpsuits the girls were wearing? Yes? Well, Dani, Chiaki and Arin already have their own jumpsuits before Dami came. Dami’s jumpsuit is different because they bought it that day they went on a girls’ day out.

 

Now you know! Hahahaha!

 

Anyway~ it’s a snip for me. Thank you! Vote and Share!

 

~~

[Arin’s POV]

 

Everyone’s asleep now, except for the higher years that are having their thesis.

 

I’ve been here in the picnic area for ten minutes past ten now. Alexus still hasn’t showed up.

 

What’s taking him so long? I’m freezing here!

 

I decided to go back inside for something to drink. As I passed through the opening, I saw the trash bin shift. It was tumbling a bit. Then it went as still as a rock.

 

Maybe it was just the cats.

 

Ryu was wandering around a lot. Maybe he went inside the trash bin?

 

I heard a faint meow.

 

“Ah, bad kitty! Is that you, Ryu?!” I was about to bend over the opening to see if my cat was inside when a head suddenly pops out.

 

“BULAGAAA!!!”

 

“KYAAA!!!” I jumped backwards. There was an angry meow as my cat jumped off his arms and disappeared through the maze. My heart was beating so fast, I feel like my ribcage would burst.

 

Alexus was laughing heartily while pointing a finger at me.

 

“Anosan.” I say.

 

“Hahaha, nani?” He was still laughing.

 

“Anosan. Urusai. Did you know that pointing at someone returns the three fingers back at you?” I say.

 

“Hahahahaha! Man, I haven’t had quite a laugh in a long time.” He says.

 

“Urusai.” I say again. Anything is always funny as long as it’s happening to someone else. Why is it like that?

 

“Gomen, hahaha.” He climbed out of the trash bin. “I thought I’d try going in here and know how it felt like for you.

 

“Baka.” I tell him. “You’re lucky my cat knows who you are and didn’t scratch your face off.”

 

[SNIP, for real]