EP16

200N (A Love Paradox)

EP16

~~

[Arin’s POV]

 

“Dismissed. Don’t forget to submit your assignments.” Our instructor in drafting left the drawing room after saying that.

 

“Arin won’t have problems with drafting; I feel so jealous right now.” Colin says.

 

“Ahh, Bambi can draw?” Demetra began.

 

“Yeah, just look at her work. It’s always neat.” Jaden grabbed my plate before I could take it away and put inside an envelope. He looked at it then showed it to the others.

 

Meanwhile, Alexus who was just one table away from me, was still cleaning up his table. He was putting his tools back inside their containers.

 

“To me though, I think Alexus does it better.” Hyo says.

 

“Oh, Right! Alexus can draw too.” Dani says. She went to Alexus’ desk and snatched his plate.

 

“Oy!” Alexus tried to take his plate back. But Dani had already taken it to the others to see. They then compared our work. This is really annoying. But If I did something weird, it might cost me my plate that I worked on for two hours.

 

“Give it baaaaack.” I say.

 

“Waaaah... Alexus’ lines are straighter.” Jaden says.

 

“But Arin’s plate is neater.” Chiaki says.

 

“I agree. Bambi’s work is more presentable.” Demetra added.

 

“Oy, stop comparing us.” Alexus finally leaves his desk. “I’m just good when I have tools to use, but I can’t really draw anything out of my own imagination.”

 

He smiled at me. What was that?

 

Recently Alexus is making me feel conscious of him. I don’t know why, but it seemed both uncomfortable and distracting in a good way. One thing I’m sure of was that I wasn’t interested in him at all in that way. I don’t really know what he’s trying to get into, or what’s really going on in his mind.

 

The first month of the semester was peaceful. I visited Seth’s girlfriend who has survived her heart transplant. She can’t leave the hospital yet. She’s still recovering. Seth and I were back to the good old friends we always had been. It was nice and peaceful.

 

My friends and I would hang out for karaoke in town. Demetra is now part of our group. I still have no idea why she seemed to take interest in me. It sometimes freaked me out, although maybe she was just being friendly.

 

But today, something unexpected happens.

 

“It’s TGIF today!” Hyo says. “So, shall we all go for karaoke?”

 

“Karaoke night!” Chiaki raised a fist into the air. Everyone seconded. Karaoke nights are always fun!

 

We left the drawing room and head straight to town on foot. It was just nearby so, there’s no need to ride the jeep.

 

We already finished five songs when Colin excused himself. Then, Demetra followed. At first, we didn’t mind it.

 

The seventh song was about to start. I decided to take a rest and sat down. The others were singing their hearts out in front of the karaoke screen.

 

Then, Demetra came back. I was surprised to see her come in. I totally forgot she went out. Then I remembered  Colin went out before her.

 

“Where’d he go?” I ask her as soon as she was seated next to me.

 

She raised her head all of a sudden. Even though the lights were dim, I saw streaks of tears on her face.

 

“Chotto, Demi-chan, daijoubu?” I asked.

 

“I don’t understand Japanese.” She sobbed. “But Bambi, I’m sorry...”

 

Huh?

 

“Ehh? For what?” I asked.

 

“I thought Colin liked you because he kept talking about you...” she began.

 

“EEH?! NANI?!!” I was so surprised. SHE THOUGHT COLIN LIKED ME. “Yah,yah,yah! Masaka!”

 

I REPEAT. SHE THOUGHT COLIN LIKED ME.

 

The others were singing too loudly, they didn’t even notice I just screamed.

 

“I’m sorry, Bambi! I was actually trying to copy you so he would look at me more!” She sobbed. “I thought that if I showed him I can be better that you are, then he will look at me!”

 

Ahh... so that’s why she was asking me too many questions about me. She stuck to me like glue sometimes. But Colin and I just get along as friends.

 

“Why wont he look at me?” tears streamed down her face like a mini waterfall. Demetra has become a precious friend to me. It broke my heart to see her like that. I didn’t know anything.

 

I cant get mad at Colin, though. He probably has his reasons. So I hugged Demetra instead. I pat her head as she cried on my shoulder.

 

“You know, Demi-chan.” I began. “My brother said, what captivates a man is a woman who is independent and can stand on her own. At first I didn’t understand. But he explained to me that clingy women make him cringe.” I laughed remembering it. It was one of those days when Brianne was bawling her eyes out because one of the guys she dated before suddenly dumped her. Lester scolded her by saying that. I could never forget that day. The four of us gathered in the study room. Even Jasper, who was still a first grader that time came to comfort her.

 

Demi cried and cried. Just then our friends stopped singing. Then, they suddenly noticed what was going on.

 

“Oy, what happened here?” Alexus says.

 

“We turn our backs for a moment and now we see this?” Hyo added. “Ah, Karaoke night’s ruined.”

 

“Where’s Colin?” Chiaki asks.

 

“Umm, where did he go?” I ask Demetra.

 

“I don’t know...” she sobbed.

 

“Did something happen between them?” Dani asks.

 

And so, I told everyone of what I know.

 

“Ah, this is the guys’ job then.” Hyo says. “We have to talk to him.”

 

“Um, I think it’s best to give him some space for a while.” I tell Hyo. “It wont do anyone any good if we all suddenly attacked him.”

 

“Well, he just made Demi cry!” He protested.

 

“Calm down, baka.” Dani punched his forearm. “How about we have a sleep over? All the girls will be sleeping in our room tonight.”

 

“Sounds good.” Chiaki says. “I will bring Demi’s blankets. You guys take her there.”

 

Ah, this is one big storm in our group. I hope everything will be okay soon.

 

After Demi calmed down, we all went back to the residence. Colin and Jaden are roommates. So Jaden will talk to him if he can. Meanwhile, we are going to have girl talk with Demi. Good thing it’s Friday, so it’s okay to stay up as late as we can. We spread our blankets on the carpet and sat there and talked about girly stuff.

 

Colin is a naturally quiet person, yet he knows how to have fun. He is smart and he likes to program. He’s actually a rookie developer for an app company. Addition to that are his looks. Yes, he’s quite handsome, but he has never had a girlfriend. He can be mean sometimes, especially when he’s not in a good mood. But, actually he’s kind. He keeps his glasses on during class hours. After that he removes them.

 

Demi would refer to him as “my Asa Butterfield.” Gee, being in love can turn a person into someone creepy. Yes, it was definitely creepy. Maybe it is for me, since I’ve never been like that over a guy.

 

“What do you want to do Demi-chan?” I ask. “You can’t force someone to love.”

 

“I know. But even though I was rejected, I still can’t just erase my feelings for him.” She says. “Maybe, I’ll let the time pass and see what will happen.”

 

“Wah, if that was me, I’d give up already.” Dani says. “If the guy doesn’t like me, I’ll cry it out in one night and the next day, I’m fine as ever.”

 

“Well, I’ll beat you up if you ever come crying to me the next night.” Chiaki says savagely.

 

“That hurt, Chi.” Dani pouted. Demi and I laughed.

 

“Maybe we should go have fun tomorrow? You know, girls’ day out? Oui? Oui?” Demi says.

 

“Waaah, she seems to be feeling better now to suggest shopping.” Chiaki pats Demi on the shoulder.

 

“Hai!” I say. “I will go!”

 

“Arasso!” Dani raises her hand.

 

“Ahh, you are all speaking your own languages again.” Chiaki says.

 

“You’re Japanese, Chi, did you forget?” Dani says smugly.

 

“Hai!” Chiaki raises her hand. “I’m going too!”

 

[snip]