shirtless swimmers

Epic Enough
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

S - SLAM DUNK CLUB

If there’s anything that he learnt from being the school’s basketball player for nearly four years now, it’s the fact that steamy locker room is bull. It’s absolutely absurd—not with the strong stench of damp socks and sweat-soaked shorts.

 

No sane cheerleader would want to march right into a smelly locker room demanding y, mind-blowing . Nope. Sometimes he’d imagine himself being in Tame Impala’s The Less I Know The Better music video setting, but then he would realize that he doesn’t want to screw someone in some stinky locker room after all.

 

“How on earth are you still surviving here?” Chanyeol snorts with amusement glinting in his eyes as he stared at the pouty cheerleader towering over him while he’s leaning down to tie his shoelaces. “Most girls couldn’t even breathe when they get in here.”

 

“That’s because I’m Super Woman.” The youthful girl beams, immediately swooping in for a kiss when Chanyeol straightens up. “And I’m also your patient girlfriend.”

 

The basketball captain grins, throwing his wet towel into the laundry basket just right beside the exit. Taeyeon squeals in shock when Chanyeol grabs her by the waist, giggling when he starts to whisper in her ears; of locker room dreams and the reality of getting cheeseburgers right after school.

 

Taeyeon is a bright, bubbly girl—they met each other when he saw her auditioning for the next batch of fresh, jumpy cheerleaders. But Taeyeon isn’t like other cheerleaders. Instead of shouting for the jocks, she helps the basketball team’s tiger mascot to walk safely towards the basketball court. Instead of running towards a group of sweaty winners after a game, she jumps into the basketball captain’s arms, congratulating him with a kiss on his lips.

 

“Hey, are you free this Saturday?” She asks once Chanyeol finishes inserting coins into the old vending machine. They tap their feet distractedly as they wait for the can of soda to fall.

 

“Yeah, training was cancelled last minute.” Chanyeol skillfully opens the can of soda with a loud pop. “What’s up?”

 

“There’s this swimming tournament that Hyeran has been wanting me to go.” Taeyeon shrugs, taking a sip of his boyfriend’s soda. “She’s been going out with this swimmer guy. It’s not official yet, but she said that things are getting serious.”

 

“Good for her,” Chanyeol whistles, then they both fall into a pit of complete silence. “It’s been weeks since she was hung up over that archery boy who’s also in my Biology class. Annoying how I had to keep avoiding him, really.”

 

Frowning, Taeyeon jabs her fingers onto Chanyeol’s side. “Don’t be mean. That boy broke her heart.”

 

“And she’s trying to fix that broken heart by going out with a shirtless swimmer who soaks himself in chlorine-infused water all day?” The basketball player raises a brow.

 

“Like I said, they’re not official. They’ve been only seeing each other for like… a week.” The cheerleader crushes the can of soda in her tiny hands, tossing it into the garbage bin. She doesn’t see the sad look on her boyfriend’s face when he realizes that she gulped down all of his drink. “The point is – do you or do you not want to go to the swimming tournament?”

 

Chanyeol pauses, thinking for a bit. “Does it require me swimming?”

 

“No, you idiot.” Taeyeon rolls her eyes. “The water’s not gonna swallow you. Don’t worry.”

 

They part right in front of the school gate with a long smooch as Taeyeon’s fancy driver watches with no hint of disgust or anger. He’s probably used to it. Chanyeol rushes out to catch the bus, taking the one and only seat beside a sleeping stranger.

 

Radiohead starts to play once he plugs in his earphones, tapping his fingertips onto his thighs as he mumbles out gibberish words that have yet to exist in his vocabulary caused by all those power naps he took during weekly English class. He’s almost getting to his most favorite part when he feels a soft thud against his shoulder.

 

Chanyeol has one eye opened as he glances to his right, startled at the sight of a snoozing boy with drenched hair that’s creating a wet stain on Chanyeol’s jersey. The similarity of their badges proves that they’re from the same school, but it’s a face Chanyeol rarely sees. Maybe he’s the half a second’s glances at the hallway while they’re walking, or some random guy who used to borrow his textbooks without asking.

 

His wet, dyed hair tickles Chanyeol’s cheek when he turns to take a good look. It may be a little rude to shrug a stranger’s head off your shoulder while they’re sleeping, but then again, it’s also rude to sleep on a man’s shoulder while your hair is soaking wet and smells like salt.

 

“Uh, hey, I think you should wake up, buddy.” Chanyeol says, shaking the sleeping stranger by his shoulders. “This is the last stop and I doubt you live anywhere near the adult video rent service shop.”

 

So Chanyeol occasionally visits the AV store when he comes back from school, big deal. But that’s a hidden secret between him and the bald bus driver. The sleeping stranger isn’t supposed to know.

 

“What?” The boy with the wet hair groans, eyes heavy with sleep. “Adult videos?”

 

Chanyeol almost laughs. Almost. “That’s the only thing you heard?”

 

“Damn,” The guy mutters under his breath when he registers his whereabouts, eyes roaming outside the window. “I was supposed to get off at the 2nd stop. Damn it!”

 

“Well, now you’re getting off here…” Chanyeol says, “Gee, imagine getting off… in front of an adult video store.”

 

The boy only stares at him like he’s the erted and bald bus driver and pulls out his bag from under the seat, throwing a judgmental look towards Chanyeol before he runs out of the bus and whistles for the taxi.

 

But on the seat next to Chanyeol’s, lies a pair of blue goggles. He snatches it before he dashes out of the bus, frantically shouting for the wet haired boy’s attention.

 

“Hey! Hey! You forgot your goggles,” He pants once the guy turns around. His hair seems to be drying when he flips it and ruffles it with his fingers. He only gives Chanyeol a side glance before taking the blue goggles, stuffing it in his bomber jacket with a quiet “thanks”.

 

“Park! There you are,” His best friend runs out of the -renting store, face flushed when he throws his arm around Chanyeol’s shoulder, matching his height. “You gotta check out the section. They got some new DVDs in there.”

 

The basketball team captain fidgets uncomfortably when he sees the grimace marring the wet-haired boy’s face.  He clears his throat, elbowing his friend’s side.

 

“Oh?”  Kyungsoo wonders out loud. He looks pleasantly surprised. “Baekhyun, what are you doing here? I didn’t know you like to visit this store, too.”

 

“I… don’t,” Wet-haired boy—Baekhyun replies. “I missed my stop, so I’m searching for a cab to get home. It’s like half an hour away.”

 

“Ah… That’s unfortunate.” Kyungsoo sighs, patting Baekhyun on the back. Chanyeol doesn’t miss the way Baekhyun shifts closer. “Want a ride?”

 

“That’s okay—uh… you guys… enjoy your .” Baekhyun says with a serious look on his face, but a stifled laughter is evident in his voice. “See you later, Kyungsoo. You’re going to watch the tournament, right?”

 

Chanyeol is still standing there awkwardly—he could’ve been exploring a whole new world in that new section by now. But there’s a feeling in his gut that tells him that these two guys aren’t just friends, judging by the way they look at each other.

 

“Of course,” Kyungsoo chuckles, “You’re my favorite swimmer.”

 

“Uh huh,” Baekhyun grabs on the straps of his bag, walking away with a wave. “Tell your friend over there to come, too. It’ll be fun.”

 

Somewhere in between Boku no Pico discs and doctor-patient fantasies, Chanyeol’s mind drifts to a particular wet-haired swimmer in an army-green bomber jacket with flirty glances directed to his best friend.

 

 

“Did you know that Kyungsoo has a boyfriend?”

 

Chanyeol throws the small plastic ball up in the air, lying down on his bed with nothing but his basketball shorts on with his girlfriend talking on the phone. Taeyeon doesn’t seem shocked by Chanyeol’s accusations on Kyungsoo’s new fling, instead, she hums along.

 

“Is that really something that we need to be surprised about?” His girlfriend says from the other line. “I mean, it’s Kyungsoo. He practically sleeps with anything that moves.”

 

“Yeah, but this time it’s a boy.” Chanyeol emphasizes. “And he’s a swimmer.”

 

“So what if it’s a boy? I told you, he sleeps with anything.” Taeyeon barks out a laugh. Chanyeol isn’t fast enough to get away from the blasting phone.

 

“Anyway, Kyungsoo’s boyfriend told him to watch the tournament. He invited me, too.”

 

“Great! I’ll see you there, babe.”

 

 

 

S - SHIRTLESS SWIMMERS (PLURAL)

 

Chanyeol takes advantage of his tall height to search for his girlfriend the moment he enters the crowded swimming center. He walks past squealing girls fretting over their swimming idol’s condition, and past bragging parents with matching fur coats. He finally sees his girlfriend by the bleachers, waving her yellow pompoms in the air to catch Chanyeol’s attention.

 

The basketball player grins, waving at her as he heads over but he almost trips over his own feet when he steps on a puddle of water. He shudders a little bit, catching Taeyeon’s worried gaze before he gives her a thumbs up.

 

“Might wanna be careful there.” Baekhyun appears next to him, pointing at the puddle of water. “The janitor was supposed to clean that… There will be kids running around over here. It’s dangerous.”

 

“Y-yeah…”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter