We We're Meant To Be

Just Can't Get Enough

You don’t overthink.

You try your best not to overthink everything, because overthinking will lead to stress and stress leads to your body drained of energy  ̶  and energy is something you don’t like to waste.

But you can’t stop thinking of the possibilities (which are endless at this point of your thinking) of what may happen this semester now that you have Jeon Wonwoo as your seatmate.

Everything will be fine, you made yourself chant inside your head, this semester will end in a flash.

“Class dismissed.” You hear your classroom adviser announce. It’s amazing how you dazed out and forgot to pay attention to half of what he said.

Who designed the seat plan anyway?

Your class representative did.

Who’s your class representative?

Jeon Wonwoo, of course

You push the thoughts aside and got up from your desk.

“How lucky I wanted to be his seatmate, how come he chose Y/N?” a girl whispered

Stomp. “ I put extra make up so he can notice me.”

“Oh man I wanted to be Wonwoo’s seatmate, he’s smart and gives of his homework.”

Apparently it was also a big deal for the rest of the class. You were confused too. You and Wonwoo never get along. Whether it’s about the ranking or what the class should do for this year’s school festival. You don’t get along and you gave up on getting along, it was too much of a hassle and knowing that he’ll ignore you if you don’t like him it was better.

But it was different for you. He was always different when it comes to you.

Your thoughts were halted as bump into a hard wall (?)

“Easy there Y/N.”

You don’t even need to look up. “Ugh.” But you did anyway. That was when you realized how freakishly close you were. You stepped back, “Thank you for making this semester a living hell.”

He grinned, “ Oh right I forgot, we kind of don’t like eachother.” He scratched his nape (still grinning) “It slipped my mind.”

“Oh wow I didn’t know you had one.”

He clenched his chest, acting as if he’s hurt about what you said “Ouch. Are you still mad about being behind my back all the time? Oh and I’m talking about the ranking. I heard I still am at the top.”

That’s it.

You smiled oh so sweetly, reached out and immediately pinched both of Wonwoo’s earlobes tugging them downward. Wonwoo cried in pain and quickly is about to tear your hands but you let them go and dashed out to the hallway to the nearest exit of the building. 

 

--

“Hi I’m here to pick Yami.”

“You’re the sister?”

You nodded and fixed your hair. Your whole ordeal with Wonwoo got you all messed up and flushed that you forgot you have to present yourself neatly in front of the homeroom teacher of your younger brother or she'd suspect your a kidnapper.

A little boy hurried and immediately hugged your leg. You detached him from your leg and crouched down to his height. “So what’s up Yami?” you ruffle his hair

He started jumping,“ I got a star today, I got a star today.” He continued jumping as he shoved his hand to your face, where the yellow star was marked.

You gave him a thumbs up, “ This calls for?”

“ICE CREAM!!” both of you chanted

--

“I think we’re in the right place?” You eye the sliding door and then your phone. The reviews of this new café seem to be good and you wanted something new and rewarding to give to your brother so went both of you agreed to go to this one.

The interior of the café is beautiful, everything matched well. So you pick a seat and proceeded to make an order. You help your brother climb up to his seat and made him pick what flavor of ice cream he wanted.

After a minute you sense the waiter (you can see his shoes), but instead of standing by he proceeded to sit in one of the chairs, the one opposite to yours. You immediately glanced at him and gaped.

He smiled, “Oh my what a surprise.”

“Ugh.”

Well if it isn't Jeon Wonwoo, you were beginning to think that he stalked you but it was impossible. You accepted the situation even though it's confusing the hell out of you. You connected all the dots and maybe this is the thing he was boasting about two days ago. He told the class in a very boastful way that he is gonna need help in preparing for the festival from the class since he got a job. You don't know why after he told you that you caught him looking at you well just looked at you for five solid seconds.

“So what can I get you young man?”  He entertained your brother’s requests and stood up not even asking you yours.

You reached out and caught the hem of his shirt, “Yah, I’m a costumer too. Why the hell didn’t you get my order?”

Is he gonna take revenge on what happened earlier?, You thought

He grinned again. Why does he smile so often? You don’t understand. It’s like he has unlimited energy for smiling, is he taking advantage of the fact that he’s good looking? You had too much of his grins.

He snapped his fingers, “I know the perfect snack for you. Trust me on this.”

“Wha-What?”

And there he goes, you were too tired to argue and knowing that he’s an employee who want to keep his job then he have to make the customer happy. After a few minutes he came back with a tray, he first gave your brother his order and he presented yours while singing a background music you have no idea where it came from.

It was a fluffy cupcake, coated with sugar and sprinkles, a bowl of different flavors of ice cream. Your sweet tooth is screaming. The cupcake had such a sweet smell and just by looking at it you immediately wanted to swallow it. You stopped yourself though knowing that Wonwoo is still seated to where he was earlier.

“I’m too tired to argue so can you leave? I’m about to devour this glorious cake.”

He ignored you and turned to your brother instead. “Hello young man, what’s your name?”

You took the chance and ate a big part of the cupcake in front of you and also start eating the ice cream. The other two people are having a conversation about stuff and surprisingly is getting along.

“Since were here,” Wonwoo started “ We should have a proper conversation.”

“About what?” You asked, praying that this won’t lead to arguing. Your brother is here and you don’t want him to see violence.

“About how were gonna get along since we’re gonna be seatmates.” He wriggled his eyebrows

“Arent you supposed to be a waiter? Why are you here talking to me?” You counterattack

He shrugged, “Mom said I could rest.”

They own the place, wow.

“Also there is no need of ‘getting along’. Let’s just ignore each other for the next few months and everything will be-” You munch on the last evidence of the cupcake “Fantastic.”

 “When did we start this anyway? This is petty. I don’t like arguing with you.” He says as he hands you the glass of water

You unconsciously receive it and sip, “ I have no idea.”

“Should we have a start over?” he proposed

You eyed him suspiciously and took a sip of water. Is he being genuine? You also wanted him to stop teasing you and stuff so his attention would not be on you most of the time. It’s a good idea right?

 

But why are you hesitating?

 

“Deal. Let’s stop this petty fights. I don’t want my energy drained.” You nodded

He smiled and shrugged. “Good choice Y/N. I never knew you make good choices.”

“Stop or I’ll regret that I ever agreed to this.” You roll your eyes at him

--

That was the beginning of something.

From that day on you had talks with Wonwoo without any irrelevant fights. He asked about the umbrella he lent you and also asked if both of you got home safely.

 

The next day he talked about the weather and invited you to their café again to taste a new kind of cupcake they have. He gave you coupons.

 

He lends you pens and you give him paper because he always forgets to buy a bundle.

 

You started to notice him. You started to nitice how he scrunches his nose when he gets irritated by not getting to finish the exercise on time, he looks annoyed when his favorite yogurt drink isn't cold enough to his liking. He loves his parents and even wanted to win your brother with ice cream. Being his friend wasn't so bad after all. 

 

“Why are you staring?” He posed, “Are you finally charmed by my good looks and awesome personality?” he did another ridiculous pose

“Your personality doesn’t match your face.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

You shake your head and turn to your paper, while shaking your head “Nothing.”

 

There was one time when you visited their café and both of you studied until 9pm and you didn’t even notice. He walked you to the bus station and promised to study so you can’t surpass his ranking.

Hanging out with him became natural. But then you notice that he hangs out with everyone, he laughs with them and he also lends them his pens and even his notes. Is he usually this warm? Looking back to the fights you had with Wonwoo, they were all just because you couldn’t take defeat and you didn’t knew humbleness, you never learned that until you saw your younger for the first time.

 

“Sharing notes is fine but you are looking like a slave.”

“Is being nice not a good thing?”

You flip a page from your notebook, “No of course not. But it has limits you know. They are getting lazy and you’re tolerating them.”

He pouted, “But they said they’re too busy to take notes."

You rolled your eyes, "Aren't we all busy? And they are students too so give yourself a break."

"I'll think about it. Thank you for caring." he poked your side and you yelped producing a very weird sound

You glared while Wonwoo kept his smiling face all throughout the day. 

 

Tests were coming and you had to focus on studying. It was important to you because you had to maintain your grade since you have your scholarship. But this time it’s a little bit different, you were studying for your grades, it didn’t felt like a competition. Maybe the truce you did with Wonwoo is a good thing.

It is a good thing.

 

This day is one hell of a tiring day. You are smart but that doesn’t mean you don’t need help from the teachers so you need extra-after class discussion where you needed to clarify more things. Especially in solving and other formula related stuffs. Your teachers are kind enough to help you.

“Ah so this is how it’s done,” You nodded “Why is this so easy this time?” You laughed “Thank you so much Maa’m.”

She smiled and nodded, “Be sure to ace my exam. It’s kind of late so take care.”

“You bet.”

You exchanged goodbyes and headed back to your classroom to gather your things and go home. Your mother volunteered to pick up Yumi so you have more time to study and relax Your phone buzzed and you got a text from an unknown number.

“NEW CUPCAKE. WHERE ARE YOU. WAITING. –Wonwoo.”

He didn’t make any sense but you nevertheless got what he was trying to say, reminding yourself to save his number later. Upon arriving in your room you see a commotion. Your classmate are gathered around, looking at something and you also can hear the shutter sounds of camera flashing.

Why are they still here? Maybe studying?, you thought to yourself but got suspicious

 One of them caught a glimpse of you arriving looking all doubtful and she poked others and pointed at you, they notice your presence and scrambled to get up.

“She saw us.”

“Tsk.”

“Now what?”

“Let me take care of it.”

One guy emerged from the group and you recognize him instantly. If Wonwoo has the first place in the rankings, you got second and this guy always get the third. You always have felt his competitiveness since you notice him looking for your name in the list of rankings and checking out if he surpassed you. He’s holding papers on the right hand and a cellphone on the other.

Reading the situation you step back and furrowed your brows.

Cheating

“I will not even ask where or how you got those but I’m exposing all of you.” You didn’t even hesitate, you took a mental note of who was in the room and got dissapointed that some of them you considered as friends.

The-guy-who-always-get's-the-third-rank. They are at least five of them, five of them taking pictures of what seems to be the testpapers for the upcoming exams.

“You can look at it too.” He offers, handing out sheets of bondpaper

You walk over to your desk and gather your things, quickly. You need to get out of here.

“We all know you want to surpass Wonwoo.”

“Yeah.” The rest of them agreed to what their ‘leader’ said

“You are all pathetic. If he was in my place, he’d never do something this low and crazy. He’d get good grades than all of you who even plotted this cheating scheme” You shake your head as you make your way to exit the scene

But then the guy who’s always getting the third place catches up and blocks the door. You sigh deeply, feeling irritated by the stalling, you need to hurry or this will get really ugly and also the cupcake that Wonwoo prepared is getting stale.

“Can you step aside? I have to study for the exams so I can surpass Wonwoo even without the help of that.” You pointed the test papers that he’s holding

He arched an eyebrow, “See, we all know you want the first place so bad. Let’s make a deal. You’d get the first place if you don’t spill us.”

“Over my dead, rotting body.” You shove him hard enough but he still caught the collar of your shirt.

He grabbed your arm forcefully, it made you almost tiptoe "Are you sure about that?" He looked back at his companions,"Don't make threats especially when outnumbered. Five vs. one?"

You clench your fist and mentally kicked yourself for not running out of this situation. Only if there was an object you can hit him with and we--

"Actually it's five vs. two."

You craned your neck and recognize that voice. He was leaning while grinning (Wonwoo, always grinning) at you then he looked at the boy who is holding you captive. You shot him a relieved smile and continued to struggle to get out of the tight grasp of guy-who-always-gets-the-third-ranking. 

"Leave a little scratch on her and I'm gonna be real pissed, Jonghyun." he says

Oh so he's name is Jonghyun. Jonghyun let's you go and you see Wonwoo opening his arms wide, Instead of running into his arms you kind of just gave him a high-five and he laughed. you touched the part where Jonghyun gripped you and glared at him for the last time.

"You okay?" Wonwoo asks

You nodded, actually feeling more grateful than you look. "How did you get here?" 

Now you're starting to believe he stalks you.

"I was waiting for you at the gate and decided to get you. To my surprise in a situation I never imagined." he turned to Jonghyun who looked worried, his brows were furrowed  and his fists clenched. He turned to look at his companions who grew silent after Wonwoo arrived. 

Wonwoo looked serious and lethal. He never had this expression before, other than solving math equations. 

"I never knew you were desperate like this, Jonghyun." he says. "To this extent that is, threatening Y/N." he looked at you for a second then back at Jonghyun wearing a different expression. "I'll let it slide this time. Go all the way you want but if you dare to threaten Y/N ever again or any do this kind of stunt--" he shrugged, "Maybe you'll end repeating this semester." 

Jonghyun obviously could not respond to that. He gave a swift little nod.

Wonwoo took your hand and both of you left the scene. As you walk you didn't talk about what happened but you squeezed his hand and looked at you and halted.

"Are you just going you let them be?"

His lips formed a thin line and he looked at you, "No of course not. I'm merciless."

You scoffed and continued to walk, not minding that you are still holding hands with Wonwoo. You guys didn't talk and didn't know where to go so you just lead him to a convinience store and grabbed some snacks and ended up in a park. You guys didn't even remember the cupcake.

 

"How are the teachers gonna believe that they cheated?" You asked

He took a sip from his soda, "I'll use my charms."

You flicked his forehead, "I'm serious."

"Your the witness, there will be a crumpled testpaper tomorrow and that will be the evidence." he casually says

"They won't believe you."

"They will. I'm the class representaitve that happens to be the smartest guy in our class plus with you as a witness waaah. They will." he wriggled his eyebrows  while grinning so wide you can clearly see his teeth.

You shifted so you are sitting in front of him. "Thank you for earlier."

He winked, "Anything for you."

You flicked his forehead again and hissed, "Can you stop that? What if your girlfriend gets jealous over this."

His eyes went wide, "What makes you think that I have one!"

Wonwoo rising his voice made you suspicious, "Why?!"

"Because you're like this, you make me jumpy!"He pointed to all of you." You make me nervous, how the hell am I supposed to act cool during the ing confession?" he huffed and buried his face in his hands

You, well you just stared at him. 

 

Awkward pause.

 

You managed to remember what he meant and you blinked rapidly trying to process it all in. He glanced at you and tried to compose himself. He coughed and fixed his blazer. 

 

"Hey." He whispered

As cliche as it may seem, your heart raced and you had to look elsewhere just to make it calm down. He 

He scratched his nape and shyly made his hands grab yours. There was no stopping this boy.

“It was just a feeling at first.” He started

You had to look at him. His eyes were so sincere, you cheeks started to heat up.

He intertwined your fingers, “I wanted this last semester to be a little closer to you so I arranged us to be seatmates.” He chuckled and looked down then up to meet your eyes, “ It was never in my wildest dreams that we’d be this close as friends but then I saw the chance and I grabbed it.”

He kept sighing and you can’t help but smile at this new discovered side of Wonwoo. You saw his scary side earlier and now his soft side. Thinking about how many more you will discover just made you kind of happy and giddy.

“It slipped so I just need to say this now. I swear I memorized what I’m supposed to say but it doesn’t come out easily I eve—“

You crane your neck to look at him sheepishly, “Does this mean I can eat endless scoops of ice cream at your shop, for free?”

“You still have to pay.” He squeezed your hand

“Now I have zero incentive to keep you.” You chuckled

He held your hands to his cheeks, “You can keep me though. Hey Y/N, I’d accept anything. A rejection or a ‘let’s stay friends’ but a confession is better too.”

You felt his cheeks heat up. Ah another incentive to keep him. If your hands get cold you could just caress his cheeks. But you can’t deny the screams of you internal organs to accept this boy who confessed because he slipped his tongue. He looked so sincere you suddenly remember all the times you wanted to punch his face.

But now you just want to keep looking at it. You want to squeeze his cheeks.

“Y/N I like you. I really do.” He sighs. “I think you thought I was teasing you back then but I was genuinely congratulating you in getting second place.” He plastered a playful side

What’s with this day really? Earlier you were such in a serious situation and now—

You nodded. “I accept you.” You say with a stern face, a determined one

He chuckled, “Is that how you say yes to your suitors?”

Your forehead wrinkled, “No one confessed to me before.”

“THANK GOD.”

You both laughed.

“Now I need to go home.” You stood up, his hands hanging in the air

Wonwoo’s  looked puzzled but stood up anyway.

“I need to study to surpass you, you know.” You gave him the same playful smile he gave you earlier, though you think that the smile suits him better

He took your hand for and kissed it. He smiles, “Not in a million years, sweetheart.”

“I’ll keep trying in a million years then.” You nodded and huffed

Wonwoo arched an eyebrow and grinned, “Good. Good. That's lowkey a proposal."

"Shut up." 

 

 

 

--

 

Author's note:I really really wanted to finish this during Wonwoo's birthday but I was really busy.

I hope this didnt feel rushed but it's only a one-shot so everything had to be done lmao. Anyway I hope you all like this atleast. I apologize for the gram